As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

College Football: Da Coach O is a Superspreader

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Harbaugh is gonna get fired.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

You're a trolling silly goose who knows nothing about anything. I hope you know that.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

You're a trolling silly goose who knows nothing about anything. I hope you know that.

His inability to beat Ohio State will be his his undoing and you know that. Regardless if it is deserved or not.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    So now the question will become if the committee will pick two SEC teams or leap frog Ohio State depending on how badly the SECCG goes.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Is it even a question at this point?

(UCF should be in it)

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    OU with a win over Texas and Bama winning over Georgia will get OU in

• Options
    Yep, it's Bama, Clemson, ND, OU, OSU, UCF right now.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    It won't be UCF, the CFP has already gone on record as saying that Milton's injury will go into their thought process for picking.

sig.gif
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Oghulk wrote: »
    OU with a win over Texas and Bama winning over Georgia will get OU in

I really don’t want it to be OU. Nothing against them, but after the Big 12 ignored an egregious targeting call last night to keep them in consideration fuck the Big 12 getting any recognition.

Ugh, I’d even take Ohio State over them...

LostNinja on
  • Options
    Oklahoma does control their destiny, sure. However, we're dealing with a committee and not just pure rankings. OSU will get a massive boost from dismantling Michigan. And a similar performance against Northwestern might just seal the deal.

Provided Alabama, Clemson, and Notre Dame all win today, the question will be the result of the SECCG. A very close Georgia loss will still make it possible they (Georgia) get invited. Alabama would already be in even with a loss. Oklahoma and OSU both need to wipe the floor with Texas and Northwestern and the committee will have to actually judge a OU/UT championship game, in a conference desperate to make it appear valid, to have been a significant victory to really matter.

Ohio State is the wildcard because they're Ohio State. Winning out and winning big will do more for them than anything Oklahoma can muster up. A Georgia loss will most likely cut them out, but the committee makes odd choices in the last couple of weeks. But, look for them to 'rank' an undefeated UCF at number five no matter what else happens. Even with a two loss Georgia team getting an invite.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    GA is not getting in with a SECCG loss.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    God damnit, I finally officially enter the school as a student and we are now going to lose the axe. We've had that axe ever since my wife was a freshman.

It'll be an interesting night tonight.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    OSU is not getting in.

There’s a good chance they lose to Northwestern.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I'm hoping we score at all against Clemson today. That'll be good enough for me.

• Options
    Oklahoma does control their destiny, sure. However, we're dealing with a committee and not just pure rankings. OSU will get a massive boost from dismantling Michigan. And a similar performance against Northwestern might just seal the deal.

Provided Alabama, Clemson, and Notre Dame all win today, the question will be the result of the SECCG. A very close Georgia loss will still make it possible they (Georgia) get invited. Alabama would already be in even with a loss. Oklahoma and OSU both need to wipe the floor with Texas and Northwestern and the committee will have to actually judge a OU/UT championship game, in a conference desperate to make it appear valid, to have been a significant victory to really matter.

Ohio State is the wildcard because they're Ohio State. Winning out and winning big will do more for them than anything Oklahoma can muster up. A Georgia loss will most likely cut them out, but the committee makes odd choices in the last couple of weeks. But, look for them to 'rank' an undefeated UCF at number five no matter what else happens. Even with a two loss Georgia team getting an invite.

Nice swipe at Texas there bud

I hate the Big 12 and OU but fuck outta here

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    SCar did a thing!

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Ohio state once again shows Michigan who the king is in this rivalry . If you can even call it that anymore with how Michigan just rolls over every year

It's a good day.

• Options

If I'm going to come at UT, I'll come direct. The Big not-XII petitioned the NCAA to allow for a CCG without having divisions. They try to play themselves up as a conference where every game matters because they all play each other, but then just grab the top two teams. Should Texas win, then hey, great. Enjoy the Fiesta Bowl or whatever. OU was still the better team and everybody knows it.

If Oklahoma wins without dominating Texas, why would a committee whose only purpose is to pick the teams that make for the best ratings pick a team that played in a CCG that only exists because the conference itself is too pathetic to attract two more schools? Believe what you want, but there is no way OSU is left out if they beat Northwestern.

As for Texas, perhaps the coach should be pleading their case for just how good their conference is? It's worked before.

• Options

If I'm going to come at UT, I'll come direct. The Big not-XII petitioned the NCAA to allow for a CCG without having divisions. They try to play themselves up as a conference where every game matters because they all play each other, but then just grab the top two teams. Should Texas win, then hey, great. Enjoy the Fiesta Bowl or whatever. OU was still the better team and everybody knows it.

If Oklahoma wins without dominating Texas, why would a committee whose only purpose is to pick the teams that make for the best ratings pick a team that played in a CCG that only exists because the conference itself is too pathetic to attract two more schools? Believe what you want, but there is no way OSU is left out if they beat Northwestern.

As for Texas, perhaps the coach should be pleading their case for just how good their conference is? It's worked before.

Here's a better idea

Don't be a fucking goose

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I think Oklahoma gets in if they win, no question. A Kyler/Tua matchup would be amazing for college football!!

• Options
    Really rooting for USC tonight. Never been a fan of Notre Dame for some reason. Plus them losing gives Ohio state a chance to get in.

• Options

Here's a better idea

Don't be a fucking goose

You imagine that I'm attacking the team you choose to root for and respond like this? Grow thicker skin.

If you think you'll feel better about it, insult UCLA. See if I care.

• Options

Here's a better idea

Don't be a fucking goose

You imagine that I'm attacking the team you choose to root for and respond like this? Grow thicker skin.

If you think you'll feel better about it, insult UCLA. See if I care.

Don't be a troll. I'm also not imagining it since you said you'll do it directly. Don't be a goose.

• Options
    Also I'm just calling you out

If Texas beats OU and you come out with "lol we all know who the better team was" then yeah you are talking shit about Texas, who would have beat OU twice in the same season.

If it doesn't happen whatever, but don't be a goose

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    this message is for everyone: tone down the snark and don't be a dick.

Thanks

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    So uhh... 7 overtimes. That's a lot of overtime.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

At the end of regulation, it was 31-31

holy shit

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    ronzo wrote: »
    milski wrote: »

At the end of regulation, it was 31-31

holy shit

Or 31-24 if you listen to LSU fans

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    WEEK 14: ONE TRUE CHAMPION WEEKEND IS UPON US!

Straight Up
    Northern Illinois vs. Buffalo (NO LINE) - LIVE FROM DETROIT ROCK CITY, IT'S THE MACTION CHAMPIONSHIP GAME! Finally, with Championship Weekend upon us, we get to discuss some PURE UNCUT MACTION, though if they really wanted to stay on-brand, they'd have scheduled this for Tuesday. Northern Illinois came out ahead of a very competitive MAC West division, though by the skin of their teeth considering they lost their last two games. Their reward is a date with the Buffalo Bulls, who are a pretty good team with victories over Temple and Rutgers (ok everyone beats them but still) beyond them running roughshod over the other MAC teams. Conventional wisdom is that the Bulls should win this game, but this is the MAC, where the UNEXPECTED becomes the ORDINARY (h/t Jon Rothstein, because it's basically college basketball season now).

Alabama-Birmingham @ Middle Tennessee State (-2.5) - THE CONFERENCE USA CHAMPIONSHIP GAME! We've been so focused on the miraculous resurrection of UAB into a first-time division winner that we've neglected MTSU, which has also won its division for the first time in school history (the Blue Raiders have conference championships from when they were in the Fun Belt and Ohio Valley Conference), so we're guaranteed a 1st time Conference USA Champion this year, which is pretty cool!

Stanford (-2) @ California - THE BIG GAME! And for once, it looks like it could be a competitive game. Stanford is currently on an 8-game win streak in the series, and is probably still the better team, but this Golden Bears team just ended one long streak last week when they beat Southern Cal to end a 14-game losing streak. I also just want to point out that UCLA beat this Bears team by 30 points on the road, because life is funny that way.

#25 Fresno State @ #19 Boise State (-2.5) - THE MOUNTAIN WEST CHAMPIONSHIP GAME! And a rematch from a few weeks ago, when Fresno State traveled to Boise and lost a 24-17 contest where they did not look particularly good. That said, the Bulldogs were wildly inefficient in that game, and have had two weeks to iron out the kinks since that game. Meanwhile, Boise State won a pseudo-division championship game against Utah State last week, so they're pretty battle-tested at this point. Oh yeah, and this is a rematch of last year's Mountain West Championship game, a game that Boise State also won by the score of 17-14. This is the 4th time these teams will have faced in a little over a year, so this should be a doozy.

Memphis @ #7 Central Florida (NO LINE) - THE AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIP GAME! And this is going to be an interesting one for the defending national champions, as UCF will be without the services of their Heisman hopeful QB McKenzie Milton, who was injured in the game against hated rival and true villains USF. That may be a problem, as these two teams met earlier this year in Memphis in a game the Knights only won by 1. Who knows if the change in venue to the Bounce House will shift things enough to overcome the loss of Milton, but this will be one to keep an eye on.

Against the Spread
    #17 Utah vs. #10 Washington (-4.5) - LIVE FROM SANTA CLARA, IT'S THE PAC-12 CHAMPIONSHIP GAME! I would like it on the record that I predicted this as the Pac-12 Championship game, and thanks to the Wheel of Suck that is the Pac-12 this year, I was eventually proven correct! Sure, Wazzu had a chance to take this spot, but they were so clearly going to Coug it that I just feel bad for them. Also, quick aside, but last weekend was just full of teams (Wazzu, Michigan, UCLA) showing off their psychological inability to beat certain opponents. Anyway, the South was just a fucking mess, no way around it, but Utah was the least-sloppy team of the bunch, and they decided to psychologically attack their rival BYU in Holy War last week, which is something. These two teams faced earlier this year, a Washington victory, but so much has changed since then that it's hard to just pick the same thing will happen again. Also also no one will be at this game, so if you live in the area, you could probably get some tickets dirt-cheap.

#9 Texas vs. #5 Oklahoma (-7.5) - LIVE FROM THE PALACE AT DALLAS, IT'S THE RED RIVER SHOOTOUT BIG 12 CHAMPIONSHIP GAME! Honestly, this is probably the best-case scenario for the Big 12 when they made the change to add a championship game for no real reason, as this is their league's biggest rivalry, and Texas has a chance to knock their rival out of the College Football Playoffs with a victory. The Longhorns played a hell of game last time to beat the Sooners, but asking for another outing like that, featuring 3 Sooner turnovers to none by Texas, may be too much to ask for again. Then again, "Ok Cool, Hook'em" is a thing, and the Longhorns winning this game again would be so "Ok Cool, Hook'em" that I almost feel it's going to happen.

Louisiana-Lafayette @ Appalachian State (-17.5) - THE FUN BELT CHAMPIONSHIP GAME! App State dominated Troy last week to secure their spot in this game, while ULL beat their rivals from Monroe to earn the West division's bid. App State is pretty damn good, especially at home where they've won by an average of 31.8 points (and never by less than 10), but this is the Fun Belt where all things are possible.

#21 Northwestern vs. #6 Ohio State (-13.5) - LIVE FROM INDIANAPOLIS, IT'S THE B1G CHAMPIONSHIP GAME! I have jokes I could lob at Michigan here, but y'all have suffered enough in watching your #1 defense get firebombed for 4 quarters. Besides, this is the last true B1G game of the year, which means it's the last time I get to post this video until 2019.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO-QTJer3vU

#2 Clemson (-25.5) vs. Pittsburgh - LIVE FROM THE QUEEN CITY, IT'S THE ACC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME! Clemson has been perfect on the season, and a win here would send them to the College Football Playoffs. So of course, with all of that, their last obstacle standing in the way is consistent ACC Pot-hole and Most Important Team in College Football Pitt. Pitt even ratcheted up the tension by losing badly to Miami last week, which means you can be damn sure they're going to be winning going into the 4th quarter for no reason. It's just Pitt Things.

GAME OF THE CENTURY OF THE WEEK (AGAINST THE SPREAD)
    #4 Georgia vs. #1 Alabama (-13.5) - LIVE FROM HOTLANTA, IT'S THE SEC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME! It's a rematch of last year's National Championship Game, except this time Tua gets to play the entire game instead of just 1 half of football. Alabama is probably in the College Football Playoffs regardless of what happens in this game, while Georgia needs to win to secure a spot. Also now would be a good time to mention that Texas A&M's 22 point loss back at the end of September remains the closest any team has been to beating the Tide by the end of 60 minutes (while at the same time, the closest any team has been at halftime was, of all teams, the Citadel, followed by Auburn last week, so things have at least been "interesting" in recent weeks).

Go here to enter your choices: https://goo.gl/forms/FyR8V3PvozZOIF772

NOTE: Picks are due by 7:00 PM Eastern Friday to count for full credit.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Dear Louisville fans - what the fuck is wrong with you?
    Brohm reportedly met with Louisville athletic director Vince Tyra on Tuesday, and it was even erroneously reported by Dan Dakich that Brohm would leave Purdue and make the move to Louisville. You can understand, then, why Louisville fans were disappointed to learn Wednesday that Brohm has decided to stay at Purdue, reportedly after he was given a nice fat raise and some performance incentives in a compensation package that topped Louisville’s offer. Disappointment is natural! Calling in a bomb threat at a high school, on the other hand, falls well outside of what would normally be considered the healthy range of sports-based disappointment. Alas:
    Trinity officials were notified by police of a threat against the school due to Jeff Brohm deciding to remain at Purdue.

While police investigate the threat classes are canceled and offices are closed on Thursday, Nov. 29.

Trinity is a high school in Louisville, and it is the alma mater of one Jeff Brohm, who graduated in 1989.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Ohio state is all but out with that Oklahoma win right?

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »
    Ohio state is all but out with that Oklahoma win right?

Pitt would have to win.

• Options
    I'm probably biased being an Ohio state fan, but I don't think Norte dame should get in.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    RickRude wrote: »
    I'm probably biased being an Ohio state fan, but I don't think Norte dame should get in.

That's genuinely insane. They're undefeated against a schedule that included 10 P5 teams, two of them top 15.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Notre Dame needs to join the rest of 'us' and get in a damn conference already.

sig.gif
  • Options
    The fact that they have no conference championship, which the big 10 adopted for just this reason, and every time I've seen them ranked highly they've folded in every bowl game I've seen them in. I just have a bias that Norte dame is over rated.

• Options
    Oh they'll get killed by Alabama or Clemson, but so would Ohio State so whatever. They earned it by not losing against a real schedule.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I mean, I think most of us expect ND to get dumpstered by whoever they end up playing, but that's not based on, as you said, their historical performance rather than the outcome of their games this year, which is all that should matter for this.

• Options
    I think the lack of a conference championship could hurt them and would understand if that happened. But you're right my bias is from past years and nothing that they've done this year.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Committee pretty obviously doesn't give a shit about conference championships. It's purely number of losses (for P5 + ND teams). Also ND draws ratings.

enlightenedbum on
This discussion has been closed.