As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mystery Science Theater 3000] Season 13 done, Season 14 coming?

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I will say the best part of this new MST3K so far was the script doctor song for The Day Time Ended.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Finished them all. I very much liked Ator. That was my favorite kind of movie cheese. I will say I think this seasons' movies were on a whole weaker than last season's, but then last season had twice as many episodes and a couple were kind of the same level as this season's stuff, so maybe it's not fair to compare. Mac & Me was gold tho. Star Crash from last season is still my absolute favorite though.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I will say the best part of this new MST3K so far was the script doctor song for The Day Time Ended.

Yeah it was real good.

steam_sig.png
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Bang!

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    That’s great and all, how about some info on a new season?

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    That’s great and all, how about some info on a new season?

Now we begin the true gauntlet.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Bang!

Too soon. . .
    It's never too soon.
    BANG!

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    For me it's a tie between Mac and Me and The Day Time Stopped for the worst movies.

The former is a ridiculous mess, and the latter is nearly incomprehensible.

Can anyone even tell me what actually occurs in that movie? The "Concepts!" song the bots sing was pretty spot on.

As far as I could tell someone found a really torn up first draft of Close Encounters and filmed that without trying to put it back together.

I was actually trying to parse out the film today, and it really does feel like someone had multiple and vastly different scripts for the same alien movie and instead of picking one, they just took bits and pieces from all of them and stitched them together into some hideous progeny.
    I STILL dont know what the deal was with the evil robot/Betamax player (lawl). It was obviously antagonistic,
    but it doesn't really go anywhere. So many plot threads either start and go no where or come screaming out of left field

I think that's part of the cultural consciousness of the time. The whole alien abduction, visitation, and travel was all the rage throughout the 1970s, in some ways mirroring the seance and spiritualist movements of a century before. So I feel like a lot of the choppiness in the story is simply because we don't possess the zeitgeist and thus cannot translate all the shorthand the movie uses. Look at, say, Indonesian horror films. To us those things are a mess of conflicting weirdness, but to their makers who inherited the basis of those stories, they make perfect sense. I feel like something like that is at play in that one.

Which is not to say it's not still completely nonsensical. It's that a small part of that nonsense isn't.

Google says the movies original runtime is 80 minutes, while that episode of MST3K is 82 minutes long. To fit the movie into their time constraints MST3K probably chopped a scene or two that might have helped make the story a little more understandable.

Yeah but who is ever going to watch that version of the movie?

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    So I met Jonah Ray at Supercon today. SUPER cool guy, really knows his movies. Said his dream film that didn't make the cut was Maximum Overdrive.

We talked about spoof films, which he considers a lost art.

And he LOVES Miami Connection. :lol:

wVEsyIc.png
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I still need them to get some season 3 news out.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Someday I should finish The Gauntlet. The movies were SO BAD it went to the Manos place for me.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    I still need them to get some season 3 news out.

There's the new tour to get through first, I suspect. Netflix seems to really enjoy holding these cards close to their chest.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    So I met Jonah Ray at Supercon today. SUPER cool guy, really knows his movies. Said his dream film that didn't make the cut was Maximum Overdrive.

We talked about spoof films, which he considers a lost art.

And he LOVES Miami Connection. :lol:

Oh my god Maximum Overdrive would have been amaaaaazing

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Maximum Overdrive is a perfect movie.

BANG

BANG

Never gets old.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    BANG

Never gets old.

Unlike that lady who died as she lived.

Totally lit up.

Someday I should finish The Gauntlet. The movies were SO BAD it went to the Manos place for me.

Give it another shot sometime. A couple of the movies are real stinkers but overall it’s the strongest work they’ve done in the reboot. If you really can’t get through them all, at least watch Ator. That movie is amazing if you’ve never seen it before.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I honestly think Atlantic Rim is the worst movie ever done on MST3K. It is at a level of maliciously bad that goes beyond anything else.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

I was prepared to hate Atlantic Rim just because the movie ripoff industry is so obviously phoning it in, but it ended up being the perfect kind of awful for MST3K.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I have a special kind of hatred for Atlantic Rim because I actually lived in Pensacola for a few years and the movie dragged me back there on top of being a horrendous piece of garbage.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I do hate to bump this again but started watching and... Y'all I did not know that Mac and Me is the first movie. I've seen this movie before. Like the whole thing with no riffing. I don't know if I have the strength...

It’s one of the best episodes they’ve done since the reboot

It’s one of the best episodes they’ve done since the reboot

This is correct but holy cow it was somehow worse than k remember. That's one of those movies I pegged as garbage even as a kid.

Atlantic Rim is not any better so far.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I watched some of the Mac and Me episode. Made it to the wheelchair off the cliff part.

Krathoon wrote: »
    I watched some of the Mac and Me episode. Made it to the wheelchair off the cliff part.

Incredibly, the movie gets even more insane after that.

Mac and Me is a movie that just continues to raise the stakes and you just think it can't possibly keep going harder, and then it makes you a goddamn fool and does.

The end of that movie is, no kidding, coked up bonkers nonsense.

And yet, the ending we got is less batshit insane than the original ending that was changed for Western audiences.

Nothing says "what the fuck?" like a kid in a wheelchair getting shot to death.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I am only sad that they didn’t get Paul Rudd in a host segment for a bit.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

edited September 2019
    I am only sad that they didn’t get Paul Rudd in a host segment for a bit.

It would have been hilarious to have him introduce the movie as one of his new ones in some way.

And then boom: Mac and Me

Seidkona on
    Bang!

Paul Rudd’s antics unfortunately aren’t common knowledge, or I’m sure they would have done something

Bang!

Opportunity missed.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Random aside, a email a few days ago reminded me they are doing an MST3k Live show in my town so I now have tickets for it in Feb :3 I'm pretty excited :D (also these things NEVER come here so props to them for actually not ignoring the midwest like everyone else does... I guess that comes from starting out in Minnesota :P)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Damn, seeing the thread get bumped got my hopes for for news of more episodes.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    edited September 2019
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Damn, seeing the thread get bumped got my hopes for for news of more episodes.

Joel and others from the crew/cast are on a big, long live tour for the next few months, so I would expect that they've either wrapped up the new seasons and it's in editing or they'll do the new season when the tour finishes.

FYI, the MST3K live tour is going to be all over the place in the US, so check out the schedule on the website as there is a VERY good chance it will end up in a place near those of us in the civilized world.

Ninja Snarl P on
    The wife got me tickets to the Dallas show tonight for our anniversary. I’ve never done a live show before so I am pumped! Saw a whole family tricked out in Gizmonic jumpsuits wandering around.

Intermission time. The movie is No Retreat, No Surrender and wow it’s perfect for MST3K.