As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NFL] Thread: Pittsburgh At Cleveland? There Is No Dog.

Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho HoDisconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
edited November 2019 in Debate and/or Discourse
Green Bay has given geniuses everywhere license to be amazed they'd fire their terrible, successful coach. Huzzah!

Santa Claustrophobia on

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    He lost the right to finish the season when he lost to Arizona at home.

camo_sig2.png
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Man, I do so enjoy seeing Gruden lose

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    Heir wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    That Larry Fitz catch was awesome.

And the Packers need to fuck off. I'm a fan, but if you can't kick the crap out of the Cardinals, just fold for the season.

Yep. Bye Bye Mr Beav.

Should Will totally be this week but because the Packers' management is too nice so they'll wait till the off season totally smart.

Called it.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Green Bay has given geniuses everywhere license to be amazed they'd fire their terrible, successful coach. Huzzah!

I’m enjoying all the takes of people who are like “I’m not surprised, he sucks. But I am shocked at the timing!” As if it’s some terrible breach of propriety to fire a shitty coach in the middle of the season.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

I’m enjoying all the takes of people who are like “I’m not surprised, he sucks. But I am shocked at the timing!” As if it’s some terrible breach of propriety to fire a shitty coach in the middle of the season.

They are just surprised they managed to gather all those owners up in time to make this decision you see.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Probably just did a voice vote in the stadium

“Hey fans, should we fire McCarthy?”

“Yeaaaaaaaaaaaa!l

Any opposed?

“~crickets~”

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    “I said booo-urns”

The Browns must stay the fuck far away from McCarthy

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Given the choice between Arians and McCarthy, the Browns will almost certainly choose the latter, because they are the Browns.

The Browns must stay the fuck far away from McCarthy

Yeah about that...

camo_sig2.png
    Fuck.

• ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    So was McCarthy always a bad coach or has he just become a bad coach?

Apostate wrote: »

I'm not sure if he's ever really been a bad coach...but he's never been great either.

There are a lot of takes out there, but the general consensus from armchair coaches is that his weaknesses as a coach have been largely covered up by having a HoF quarterback to rely on. And while maybe in the past he was a good playcaller, the game has evolved and he has not. Hence why we almost always get destroyed in the second half...opposing teams adjust at halftime and he doesn't.

camo_sig2.png
    He was probably ok for a while there at the beginning but it’s hard to judge objectively because he’s always had HoF talent on offense.

The most generous way to put it is “the game has passed him by”.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Ben looks really good. Except for that one overthrow he's been on the money.

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Go Rivers go!

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
    That 2nd half was fun to watch.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    He was probably ok for a while there at the beginning but it’s hard to judge objectively because he’s always had HoF talent on offense.

The most generous way to put it is “the game has passed him by”.

To expand. He makes a lot of really conservative playcalls. Now that we analyze the game it’s more clear that these types of plays have always been bad. He has primarily coached in an era that understood that but he does not seem to.

He is more or less directly responsible for a number of really big important losses and it’s hard to attribute his wins to his skill in understanding the game.

wbBv3fj.png
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

That last kick (all three attempts) was infuriating.

LostNinja wrote: »

I was laughing during the whole exchange myself. If you aren't cheating you aren't trying.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    He lost the right to finish the season when he lost to Arizona at home.

I think his press conference was the final nail. He is clearly floundering and totally at a loss for how to move forward. He has lost the confidence of rodgers it seems and the team is just not working. So probably for the best to give him the boot now and have more time to find a replacement.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    If I'm McCarthy's agent, I say he should go work as an assistant or coordinator for a bit to let the stink of his exit from GB wash off. Regardless of whether he should find HC work, I have no doubt he'll have options in the league still.

Apostate wrote: »

He is pretty middle of the pack coaching but only looked really good because rodgers is so damn good he could scramble around and make whatever blah call was made looked like genius.

LostNinja wrote: »

I was laughing during the whole exchange myself. If you aren't cheating you aren't trying.

The icing to the cake was the kick that actually scored and one defender was so far offsides he had jumped past the kicker before the kick even happened. The kick went behind the guy I don't think I have ever seen anybody that offsides on a FG attempt before.

• HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    Just noticing that the "dumpster fire" NFC East just beat two of the Conference's top teams.

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    As a game time coach McCarthy has been middling to bad, IMO, but the packers have developed a lot of good wide outs and had a strong Oline for many years under his tenure, so presumably he gets credit for some of that.

I'm fine with the firing though. Time for a change.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    McCarthy gets fired yesterday, and then today I'm handed a pair of Packers tickets for the game against Atlanta

Is this what Christmas is supposed to feel like?

Veevee on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    McCarthy gets fired yesterday, and then today I'm handed a pair of Packers tickets for the game against Atlanta

No. Post-concussion hallucination.

As a game time coach McCarthy has been middling to bad, IMO, but the packers have developed a lot of good wide outs and had a strong Oline for many years under his tenure, so presumably he gets credit for some of that.

I'm fine with the firing though. Time for a change.

He was decent enough for a while but he seems the last few years to be coasting on Aaron Rodgers being such of a beast of a QB he can call whatever and Aaron will find a way to make it work. But when Aaron was hurt he had nothing for the back up QB and his play calls are getting more and more suspect as time goes on. He is just flat getting predictable and was in a rut. I have no doubt if he goes to another team he could find success but I think the packers really did need a change.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    How bad is it for MNF that they have to highlight Adrian Peterson in a promo for tonight's game?

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    How bad is it for MNF that they have to highlight Adrian Peterson in a promo for tonight's game?

They probably just wanted to switch things up.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

No. Post-concussion hallucination.

I do have a headache now, and I did bang my head against the wall and desk a few times yesterday during the game, so maybe?

And yet he somehow breaks the longest run of his career in this game, lol

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    As a non-Packer fan

1. Yes, Aaron Rodgers is a prima donna . This is a truth fact.
    2. No, this does not excuse the increasingly poor decisions of Mike McCarthy
    3. AR is also a generational talent and it’s stupid to waste him
    4. Who the fuck is Mork Chumpwad and why should we care what he has to say

Are they spending so much time being against DV because they really want to or because the league and/or network really, really want to get ahead of everything?

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    As a non-Packer fan

He's a Hall of Fame* tight end!

*Packers HOF

vRyue2p.png
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Are they spending so much time being against DV because they really want to or because the league and/or network really, really want to get ahead of everything?

Our PR guys kept saying in between glugs of Johnny Walker that we have a "messaging problem" WHATEVER THAT MEANS

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    As a non-Packer fan

*googles*

Apparently a tight end that played for Green Bay

*reads further down*

Also apparently a classy fellow
    On April 8, 2000 Chmura was accused of sexually assaulting the 17-year-old babysitter of his children. Chmura was tried but found not guilty of all charges.[6] Two days after being acquitted of child enticement and third-degree sexual assault, Chmura acknowledged that his behavior at a post-prom party "wasn't something a married man should do."