As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fire Emblem: Heroes] Now with Cowgirls

• AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    This Aether Raids season didn't go nearly so smoothly for me. Lost lift from defense a lot more frequently, ran into that many more 2+1 defense forts, and multiple 5-person defense teams. Also just made some stupid mistakes that cost a unit here or there. Still going to wind up in the top reward tier for rank, but the days of being in the double-digit ranks is over.

I think I'm going to retool my teams completely when I unlock the fifth slot. Still want to have two defensive teams that intend to bait things out, and two Reinhardt-based teams that just charge through and steamroll (one that has Aversa slapped in to gimp some formations), but my flex team just isn't getting any use. I always take a look at it to see if I can get away with using it, but all the defense teams are just too strong for it. I think I can have a team that doesn't involve dragons or Reinhardt, but it needs to be more... coherent? I'll think of something.

• ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    For now I’ve been decently successful in focusing only on offense.

I can upgrade me defensive fortress now and get the bonus buildings for next week, or if I save up, I think I can buy the level 3 offensive fortress after next weeks rewards.

I am torn on whether to shore up my defenses and save some lift loss, or aim to have a better offense to ensure I earn as many lift as possible.

What are your thoughts?

• DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    Durinia wrote: »
    Well, IS finally made up for my inability to get any focus units in the last 2 months.

In about 30 orbs (1 2/3 full pulls), I got Lance Hector, Bowcina, and another Noire, all with inoffensive IVs, too!

Also allowed me to put together both Hector Emblem and Lucina Emblem teams - on the same day.
    And one more circle gets me another LHector and a Horsedelia.

Feast or Famine for me in this game, it seems!

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • AcheronAcheron Registered User regular
    Ardor wrote: »
    For now I’ve been decently successful in focusing only on offense.

I can upgrade me defensive fortress now and get the bonus buildings for next week, or if I save up, I think I can buy the level 3 offensive fortress after next weeks rewards.

I am torn on whether to shore up my defenses and save some lift loss, or aim to have a better offense to ensure I earn as many lift as possible.

What are your thoughts?

The way the resources work are really encouraging specializing. Nevertheless, I'm taking a middle ground. Not for strict optimization, but because building defenses and watching replays is so fun!

I think offense makes sense for now because it will always have an edge, especially if you have 5 attackers to 4 defenders. However I foresee a day when the 6 defender, majorly cluttered defenses are stronger.

My next move is to buy a 5th attacker. I'm holding off on upgrading the aether pot all the way so I can upgrade a fortress sooner.

I think I agree!

I have a level 2 offensive fort and 5 attackers. Anyone who sees me should rematch me because I’m rocking a level 1 defensive fort with no bonus building.

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Woo! I got an Aether rank in the low 5,000s and unlocked the bronze and silver thrones! Now I can stop worrying about my rank, since I have no illusions of getting a gold one.

I don't know how much credit I can take, though; I got zero defenses for a couple days and saved a lot of lift that way.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    So I’m reconsidering a defense aether investment.

So if I’m right, we get 200 plus 7*50 = 350 or 550 aether per week. You get around 20% of the cost back if you crack both resources. 6 of the free runs will net you say 120% of a run, giving say one more run.

So for me, I’ll be at 5600. If I average say 70 per run or something I would ideally get 10 runs plus 7 free, or 17 runs. Full defense losses means -560 and my ceiling is around 1700, meaning I’m looking at maybe getting to 6700. That’s enough for tier 17. However, messing up on offense enough and I won’t make it.

If upgrading my defenses means reducing daily loss by 20, that’s 140 lift. As you crawl up higher in tiers, less runs means reducing defense lift loss is more valuable it seems. I’m also hard pressed to think many folks are going to save up and upgrade the defense fort before the offense fort, meaning I shouldn’t have to fight harder heroes due to stats.

I think this makes sense? I just need to hammer out an actual good defense.

Had an Aether Raids battle this morning against an armor team that had squared off and blocked itself off in a corner, full of Ward/Fortrify Armor, Wary Fighter, Fort Def/Res, and weapons like Berkut's Lance. I really should have just pushed through the debris and dealt with them with dragons, but I figured I could take out one of them with Reinhardt and then quickly pick them off from there. Unfortunately, I did not notice that the one that he might be able to pick off also had Distant Counter.

That resulted in a sudden change of plans where I had to get Azura to basically suicide in order to weaken someone enough for Reinhardt to finish them off, and then slowly pick them off from there. I only barely scraped out a win on turn 7, and I think it was only because I used Reinhardt (doing all of 0 damage) to waste Sheena's Sacred Cowl so that Lyn would do slightly more damage. What a mess.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Excuse my while I have my flying mages/archer just hover way in the upper corner to camp.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Aversa is so damn good with dealing these 5 horsemen defenses. Wait a turn and then come at me with those -9 stats of yours.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    How are people dealing with the Pain/Savage healer + dancer defenses? With the old Veronica variants I could muddle through, but I've been shedding a lot of blood against these. Doesn't help that my V!Lyn/W!Tharja/Airlivia core is really ball-y.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    Setup a team with a 50+ RES unit with distant defense or some other way to survive through debuffs that will serve as bait. Make sure the rest of your team isn't in splash damage range or even dance refresh range. The unit will survive the initial pain train, and you now have a guaranteed wings of mercy jumping point.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    edited December 2018
    I have been using Cecilia with distant defense, her raven tome and I have a ward cavalry nearby on Reinhardt. They simply bait enemy healers and Reinhardt out of range of the dancer and I go from there.

I think mine is neutral with 29 res. It becomes 35 with DD and the advantage almost always reduces healer damage to zero.

Ardor on
  • homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Just encountered a possible glitch that might have cost me an Aether Raid:

My Tactics Room (O) was on the same column as the opponent's Bolt Tower (D). On the opponent's third turn after the Bolt Tower (D) went off the unit that had previously been restricted to one space of movement by the Tactics Room (O) was able to move normally, which being double Savage Blow Veronica decimated the units I had been carefully arranging.

My Tactics Room (O) was on the same column as the opponent's Bolt Tower (D). On the opponent's third turn after the Bolt Tower (D) went off the unit that had previously been restricted to one space of movement by the Tactics Room (O) was able to move normally, which being double Savage Blow Veronica decimated the units I had been carefully arranging.

Did you also have a bolt tower near your tactics room? Only possibility I can think of is that you did damage to one of their units, which she healed, and then got dance'd (and the tactics room only limits the movement of her first action).

Barring that, certainly sounds like a bug. Shitty deal.

Did you also have a bolt tower near your tactics room? Only possibility I can think of is that you did damage to one of their units, which she healed, and then got dance'd (and the tactics room only limits the movement of her first action).

Barring that, certainly sounds like a bug. Shitty deal.

Ah, yes, looks like that was it. There was a single unit in range of the Bolt Tower (O) so she healed them.

Yaaassssss Robin's day of reckoning has come!

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    New weapon refine?

camo_sig.png
    edited December 2018
    Durinia on
    --Mark Twain
    It's also in the in-game notifications.

• Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    That's a lot of refines. I'm glad Palla's getting one, I vastly prefer her to Caeda.

icoxfyvzn3rd.png

I kind of figured it would come in January so they could milk Xmas Fate/Awakening units first.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    This aether raid season has been kind to me. For whatever reasons, two days went by with no defense matches. I also upgraded my defensive fort and as a result, actually started reducing my lift loss on defense matches! I only lost 60 and 40 the last two days.

I can probably make it into tier 17 this week.

So far, Veronica and Cecilia with Gronnraven and TA have been carrying me. I’ve found a lot of healer teams.

Talith wrote: »
    I kind of figured it would come in January so they could milk Xmas Fate/Awakening units first.

Nah they pretty much had to do one for 3.0 which comes out real soon.

So we're probably getting a reveal of light and dark blessings, changes to the arena, maybe changes to voting and grand conquest, new legendary hero, 2 min or so trailer of the next story chapter with opening cg video, a new Camilla and Robin, Aversa getting added to the grail option, and then some new game mode ala tap tap fehvolution to go on rotation.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    So we're probably getting a reveal of light and dark blessings, changes to the arena, maybe changes to voting and grand conquest, new legendary hero, 2 min or so trailer of the next story chapter with opening cg video, a new Camilla and Robin, Aversa getting added to the grail option, and then some new game mode ala tap tap fehvolution to go on rotation.

I hope laguz/beast units, too.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    I don't want to be disappointed in case it doesn't show up so I didn't write it.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    If they do not add beast units to 3.0 there will be literal riots. I'm going to flat out say there will be beast units added. I think this is something that has to be coming. You just look at the heroes they've been picking and compare with the CYL2 results and you'll see they are drawing from some of the top fan requests EXCEPT deliberately skipping over anyone who is a beast unit. Intelligent Systems knows fans want these characters. They've had a whole year essentially to figure out how to do them. They've gotta be coming.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    If they do not add beast units to 3.0 there will be literal riots. I'm going to flat out say there will be beast units added. I think this is something that has to be coming. You just look at the heroes they've been picking and compare with the CYL2 results and you'll see they are drawing from some of the top fan requests EXCEPT deliberately skipping over anyone who is a beast unit. Intelligent Systems knows fans want these characters. They've had a whole year essentially to figure out how to do them. They've gotta be coming.

I hope so. I'm sitting at 290 orbs which is an all time high for me. Panne got a handful of my votes in CYL2.

So Adult Tiki is absolute terror as an assist trophy in Smash.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    edited December 2018
    Ugg I keep forgetting to do Aether Raids. Honestly starting to not really like the mode. It's just shitty dick move defenses with Brave Veronicas behind them all the time :/ Then any progress you make is invalidated by one or two defense losses

Warlock82 on
  • AcheronAcheron Registered User regular
    I like the variety of Aether Raids being a high stakes, limited opportunity mode. Very different from the others. The omnipresence of Veronica is certainly a buzzkill, but I still enjoy it overall.

Little weird they postponed the season start for after the channel. Better not implement a bonus unit kill system here too!

While the least fun units are generally present, at least hard counters exist that are not behind 5* units or skills.

I’ve found flier emblem to work out nicely.

I’m also finding myself using Cecelia constantly because she can usually tank and kill any healers and Reinhardt.

Most of the fights I’ve been seeing in tiers 16 and 17 are challenging to keep all units alive, at least for me. I haven’t passed out galeforce yet, but I usually have to sacrifice a unit to win many fights now.

I see Aversa a ton too, so dealing with her isn’t fun. I am tempted to pass out harsh command for the free buffs.

Acheron wrote: »
    Little weird they postponed the season start for after the channel. Better not implement a bonus unit kill system here too!

Since they said the reason for the delay is because they're implementing some sort of extra Lift gain method and don't want people spending Aether beforehand, I'm betting that's exactly what they're doing.

Ardor wrote: »
    While the least fun units are generally present, at least hard counters exist that are not behind 5* units or skills.

I’ve found flier emblem to work out nicely.

I’m also finding myself using Cecelia constantly because she can usually tank and kill any healers and Reinhardt.

Most of the fights I’ve been seeing in tiers 16 and 17 are challenging to keep all units alive, at least for me. I haven’t passed out galeforce yet, but I usually have to sacrifice a unit to win many fights now.

I see Aversa a ton too, so dealing with her isn’t fun. I am tempted to pass out harsh command for the free buffs.

Spending the stones to get a 5th offensive unit was an excellent investment. I finished the season just outside the top 10k, and I know I would have struggled more without doing that.

Ignoring the extra Aether you have at the beginning of the week, you get typically two attacks per day (first one is free) versus the possibility for losing aether on defense once. The math on where to invest first is pretty easy.

--Mark Twain
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Xenologue 4/Probable Book III spoilers
    I wonder how sexed up Hel's costume design is going to be.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    edited December 2018
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Xenologue 4/Probable Book III spoilers
    I wonder how sexed up Hel's costume design is going to be.

Did they say this person was female?
    (although Hel tends to be a girl usually I think, so probably.. and by usually, I mean in that Thor movie and World of WarCraft's bastardization of her :P That's like my only frame of reference here :P )

Warlock82 on