As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game Dev] I don't have a publisher. What I do have are a very particular set of skills.

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    So here's something fun.
    For those who are not in the know, I'm attempting to take an old commercial DOS game and get it to run under windows with improvements (An HD remake if you will). Well, it turns out I caught the attention of another company that does exactly this as well and they appear to have a few releases under their belt on steam. I just got an email asking if I wanted to join forces. I'll see how this goes :D

BTW, I have a bit of a graphic update under the spoiler
    LWu4eUe.png

halkun on
  • Options
    CornucopiistCornucopiist Registered User regular
    I've been getting the impression that bigger fish are more welcome on Steam?

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Kinda, Steam have reduced their fee for games that have a revenue greater than 10 million dollars. This is in direct response to most of the bigger companies just avoiding Steam altogether for their releases.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    halkun wrote: »
    So here's something fun.
    For those who are not in the know, I'm attempting to take an old commercial DOS game and get it to run under windows with improvements (An HD remake if you will). Well, it turns out I caught the attention of another company that does exactly this as well and they appear to have a few releases under their belt on steam. I just got an email asking if I wanted to join forces. I'll see how this goes :D

LWu4eUe.png

This sounds awesome. Which company is it (if you're allowed to share)?

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    So, Epic is responding to the Steam revenue share change pretty well....

12% royalty, and if you're using the Unreal engine, they waive the 5% fee for publishing on their store.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Khavall wrote: »
    So, Epic is responding to the Steam revenue share change pretty well....

12% royalty, and if you're using the Unreal engine, they waive the 5% fee for publishing on their store.

Very interesting, very interesting indeed.

<it just got real.gif>

Mc zany on
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Valve and Epic?

Let them Fight.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Whoa, that's rad. Still, I would think most of the user base would be on Steam. Then again, if a large majority of youngsters are playing Fortnite, they have the Epic Launcher already installed and are using it for Fortnite. That could steal a lot of traffic via the Steam launcher and thus the store.

Very interesting, indeed.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    blast from the past old weekend game jam game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPOHk_r7lYw

i should poke that again, god bless game maker

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I want to make a prototype of an abstract strategy game I've been kicking around, but I think I need to play HexCells first.

Any other Hex-based abstract strategy games I should take a look at on PC? I'm trying to 1) figure out if this concept will work, and 2) see if other people have done something similar yet.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    I want to make a prototype of an abstract strategy game I've been kicking around, but I think I need to play HexCells first.

Any other Hex-based abstract strategy games I should take a look at on PC? I'm trying to 1) figure out if this concept will work, and 2) see if other people have done something similar yet.

Endless Legend is popular, I think? https://store.steampowered.com/tags/en/Hex+Grid

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »

Endless Legend is popular, I think? https://store.steampowered.com/tags/en/Hex+Grid

Thanks, I'll check that one out. I think I own it, actually.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    After watching so many tutorials one thing that they really need to start doing is editing out any typing of code. I can copy and paste from the samples, or if I want to type it myself I can pause the video. There is absolutely zero need to SHOW someone typing code with the very narrow exception of demonstrating IDE techniques like autocomplete or refactoring.

Don't have this problem with Blueprints. :-p

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I wonder if anyone has ever used paper craft to create a visual novel?

Or a rail shooter experience?

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular

There's an adventure game.
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/12/01/lumino-city-hands-on/

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

There is also that one game for the Vita Tearaway.

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    halkun wrote: »
    So here's something fun.

LWu4eUe.png

This sounds awesome. Which company is it (if you're allowed to share)?

Not yet, still have to have my initial meeting with them. The head of the company made a very famous game in the 80s and was remade for the PS2. Turns out there are a lot of "old skool" programmers in their retirement ages that are sitting on old code. Old games should not be discounted!

Heck The manual for Rules of Engagement (The game I'm porting) has a 200 page manual! I see no reason why I can't post a link to the documentation. The manual is the old version from 1991. I was given the original Pagemaker 3(!) files. I have since up converted it to something a little more modern. I will be adding in information on the new functionality when the game is somewhat less in flux.

Manual is here. It's a pretty complex game.

halkun on
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Characters all laid out at once, I screwed up.
    xi710Vo.png

Next version will have text edits and more graphic placeholders.

Version after that will be redrawing .....everyone.....to scale.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Whoa, that's rad. Still, I would think most of the user base would be on Steam. Then again, if a large majority of youngsters are playing Fortnite, they have the Epic Launcher already installed and are using it for Fortnite. That could steal a lot of traffic via the Steam launcher and thus the store.

Very interesting, indeed.

Its transformative. Historically, in terms of 'better deals for devs' I am reminded a lot of Sony entering the game market with the Playstation at Nintendo's expense. GamespotEB's used/preorder shenanigans Vs burgeoning digital services also comes to mind. Valve is just another middle-man at the end of the day, if they're not a good partner, they'll be abandoned for better ones.

With such a better deal you're going to see a huge, concentrated push by both indy and AAA devs to move players off of Steam and onto Epic. My guess is free Epic store exclusive content will be a thing too, pretty quick and you're already seeing timed exclusives with that new Meat Boy game. They don't even have to be long timed exclusives - what if the new Elder Scrolls game comes out and delays its Steam release for a week or two? Lesser inconveniences have been strangling retail stores for years.

I see a lot of Steam fans on social media are being really insecure and threatened by how jubilant devs are with the news (reminds me a lot about debating people here about the used game market back in the day). Consumers don't see this side of Steam, but Valve-dev relations are really strained. It goes beyond the 30% cut - they're a very passive, not helpful partner and their community has become really toxic thanks to mandatory community features that have become weaponized (like forums and steam reviews). My own career has been affected by said toxic community, so I'm especially zealous to cheer for Epic at Valve's expense.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    While not thrilled with platform exclusives (don't mind the timed ones at all, myself), currently so many games on Steam are effectively Steam exclusives that seeing the very same "ugh, if it's not on Steam I'm not buying it" crowd suddenly wringing their hands about how exclusives are bad for the consumer is... pbbbbbth.

Personally I'm happy to see some competition. So far Epic seem to be handling it better than MS is with their shambles of a store, but we'll see, hopefully they stick the landing.

• Options
    Steam isn't the best for developers. Small devs get zero support and are basically told to git some sales or GTFO. Larger devs get more support but not much else, leading devs to wonder what the 30% is for.

Steam is ok for consumers, altough I don't think that having multiple icons on a desktop is that big of a deal. But consumers really hurt the smaller devs by only buying stuff during the sales and Steam have done little about the weaponised comments and reviews.

The less said about the Windows Store the better.
    I submitted Parabolus to the store.
    Me - Hey guys, can I please put my game on your store?
    MS - No way, it says here you are using Xbox Live but you can't sign in.
    Me - Ok fair enough, I have removed the Xbox Live bit
    MS - You are using Xbox Live but you can't sign in.
    Me - That's strange, anyway I have now gone through the code to confirm there is no Xbox Live stuff
    Me - Grrr, ok I have now disabled all networking and internet connections. There is no possibly of this game having anything to do with Xbox Live.
    Me - ...
    [/spoiler[

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    What a lot of people don't realize is that when developers get a better deal they can make better games for less money. This adds up. Maybe selling a million games via 88% vs 70% gets them enough extra revenue they can push forward with more games instead of struggling to make a game in time before finances with business loans crush them. Maybe their next project can command higher production values, like big name voice actors instead of DIY indie voice acting by the 2 employees.

1 million units at $40 with 88% revenue = $35.2 million
    1 million units at $40 with 70% revenue = $28.0 million
    1 million units at $40 with 65% revenue = $26.0 million

You can see how that would add up quickly the more you sell. Competition is good. Steam has pretty much been the only name in digital distribution and we've all paid for it in some way or another. I had a year long fight with steam where they locked me out of my account because my credit card company did a "suspected fraud" charge back and steam refused to deal with it until I threatened them with a lawsuit. Now imagine they actually have some competition, that kind of shit doesn't fly if your user base gets wind of getting fucked over constantly. Also they don't curate trash from their store anymore because, why should they? They get more money the more things get sold.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    What a lot of people don't realize is that when developers get a better deal they can make better games for less money.

Pull the other one, which it has bells on.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    What a lot of people don't realize is that when developers get a better deal they can make better games for less money.

Yeah I have to agree. There is little chance the extra money will go towards making the game. It is far more likely that it will be considered extra profit. Case in point, the UK tax break on games making. Before it was inplemented developers when crowing about how a tax cut was needed to make games and increase inovation, however a year later most of the larger devs were bragging about their increased profits thanks to the tax break. (for the record I believe the tax credit was a good thing and has probably helped smaller developers).

Mc zany on
  • Options
    I thought about setting up payments on my itch account but everything seemed so scary and draconian, i figured wait until i have some betas worth sharing before i start looking for funds.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Mc zany wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Yeah I have to agree. There is little chance the extra money will go towards making the game. It is far more likely that it will be considered extra profit. Case in point, the UK tax break on games making. Before it was inplemented developers when crowing about how a tax cut was needed to make games and increase inovation, however a year later most of the larger devs were bragging about their increased profits thanks to the tax break. (for the record I believe the tax credit was a good thing and has probably helped smaller developers).

Depends on the company. Most companies that aren't AAA studios (with investors and stocks) tend to reinvest in themselves instead of paying dividends and all those dumb shenanigans.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    CornucopiistCornucopiist Registered User regular
    Anyone have any experience putting together a press package for review sites?

• Options
    EvilOtakuEvilOtaku Registered User regular
    The Vlambeer guys created presskit()

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    EvilOtaku wrote: »
    The Vlambeer guys created presskit()

There's also a hosted version of something similar to that available on itch: https://presskit.itch.io

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    That is very good and I hope it succeeds but I don't think it will change very much unless consumers also change their attitudes.

I mean we had a guy bragging about making his employees work 100 hour weeks and yet Red Dead Redempton 2 still sold really well. (I won't touch it because of that but I doubt this is a thing). Why change things if the current system is profitable?

Mc zany on
  • Options
    X-post from the Steam thread. Discord joins the revenue share battle:

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2018

Oh snap, I might actually start buying on the discord store for that

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »

Oh snap, I might actually start buying on the discord store for that

This is the best arms race.

--

So I submitted my game for certification. It feels so good to have pushed that submit button.

• Options
    I stayed up way too late last night researching game design with Node.js. wth is wrong with me?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    I stayed up way too late last night researching game design with Node.js. wth is wrong with me?

My game is made with node.js! It is a dark path with terrible documentation.

• Options
    Got a blog?

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Mc zany wrote: »
    That is very good and I hope it succeeds but I don't think it will change very much unless consumers also change their attitudes.

I mean we had a guy bragging about making his employees work 100 hour weeks and yet Red Dead Redempton 2 still sold really well. (I won't touch it because of that but I doubt this is a thing). Why change things if the current system is profitable?

Because if more workers join the union, companies will experience a skilled labor shortage without adhering to union requirements and cease being profitable.

• Options
    Got a blog?

Not yet, but after the game is released and available for a coupy months I'll be starting one. Also releasing the source code and art assets

It's an Alexa game, and I am really not a programmer, so it's basically going to be a big "you really can be a game developer" thing. Hoping to lower the barrier for entry and to get more people building games that people can play without sight and hands.

• Options
    Aaaaand published on the first go.

Achievement Complete.

Kiiind of wish they noticed that I forgot to take "Beta" out of the icon, but I can fix that when I resubmit to expand to the non-US English locales.