As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trailers: A Brief History

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    The first one was up there with "It Follows" for a unique horror movie. I really enjoyed it.

If everyone is back for this one with the same energy I'm game.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    I'm so excited for HDD2U. I did a Halloween viewing party for the first one and it totally holds up on repeat viewing. Jessica Rothe totally sells the premise.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Okay I know it's time to talk about Captain Marvel but the DoA movie was a lot of fun...

Eric Roberts was his best Eric Roberts.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Wow Batman really wants his car back

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Wow Batman really wants his car back

Brings new meaning and fear to a traveling gnome (on a chain)

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    A 6-part BBC miniseries of Les Misérables, by the director of the BBC Pride & Prejudice? With Davide Oyelowo as Javert? Yes, please.

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    physi_marc wrote: »
    A 6-part BBC miniseries of Les Misérables, by the director of the BBC Pride & Prejudice? With Davide Oyelowo as Javert? Yes, please.

No. There's no talking in Les Misérables. No.

No.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    physi_marc wrote: »

No. There's no talking in Les Misérables. No.

No.

Do you hear the people talk
    Talking the speech of angry men
    It is the talking of the people who will not be slaves again

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    With the running of their mouths
    And with the flapping of their gums
    Makes me wish that the fucking people would've just sung.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    It looks like Samuel L. Jackson is in Captain Marvel quite a bit.

I wonder how much of the budget was spent on de-oldenizing him.

Also I'm kinda hoping that was Ronan at 1:45.

RT800 on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Hooray, Travelers season 3 in 10 days!

I kept looking for a date once in awhile and nothing and now it's right around the corner.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

They've already confirmed Ronan and Korath are in there.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    RT800 wrote: »

I wish they would do something silly like show him de-aged for a few minutes before saying he is wearing an old person disguise to justify not doing it after that like the reverse of the actor who played the old guy in Back to the Future making some justification for why he didn't look as old in the sequel.

Couscous on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/w3gQ117IKkM

another remake...

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The CGI in that weirds me out. I didn't think rabbits had an uncanny valley.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Not as disturbing as the original trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S26LA8Bk14

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    How traumatic is the new one going to be?

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    With the running of their mouths
    And with the flapping of their gums
    Makes me wish that the fucking people would've just sung.

Because that worked so well in the film version.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Yes, Buzz the Ant Man in please.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Mortal Kombats trailer had some of the worst music to action I've seen in a video game trailer.

Far Cry continues to make some more than questionable narrative choices

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    What's questionable about the Far Cry trailer?

• Options

Minority villains literally assaulting white people trying to rebuild the world to take or destroy it? Its basically a Trump ad.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

Minority villains literally assaulting white people trying to rebuild the world to take or destroy it? Its basically a Trump ad.

You have got to be joking.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Yeah that's certainly a take I hadn't considered. It's funny because most of the outrage I've seen on comments in other places has been the other way, angry that a storied game franchise could stoop so low as to include women and minorities.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular

Nah, it's pretty dang bad.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Nah, it's pretty dang bad.

I mean they literally attack a wall to get inside... Like this is a thing in the trailer

This is on top of far cry 5 basically having the player be the bad guy and wrong and the right wing murder cultists be correct. With a stinger in the trailer that like the "bad guy" of 5 also being this game but horrified at the outcome because what minorities took over?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Yeah. I saw the cover image and thought surely they won't have those two be the antagonists.

Trailer - woof

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

While I'm sure some people on Twitter would disagree with me, something like the Vox Populi in Bioshock Infinite is not problematic (ignoring whatever the hell it was that happened in Burial at Sea). But when it's black women wrecking your white civilization in the wilderness for literally no reason, well...

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    There were a bunch of nonwhite people defending, though

• Options
    I don't know, I think there's some major conclusion jumping happening here based on a 2 minute trailer.

I saw them attack a fortress which is a pretty common thing that occurs in Far Cry games. I don't quite see that as a metaphor. Nor do I think we quite understand the ethnic background of any of the trailer characters.

Like do you guys think Ubisoft is literally putting out a title meant to vilify people trying to come into the US?

I get where the interpretation is coming from but it feels like a reaaaaaaaal stretch for me.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    If you want to complain, look to the white male main character who will end up murderizing the pair of them.

The mixed group of people defending the walls and tying the antagonists to Trump stuff is a reach.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    This is a hell of a reach. I though it was pretty progressive to see a female black villian. I can't remember the last time I saw one.

And if ND is like 5, you'll be able to make your character.

• Options
    There is nothing progressive about making a minority a villain? Like that is pretty much a common thing in film, media, and even games.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Coinage wrote: »

While I'm sure some people on Twitter would disagree with me, something like the Vox Populi in Bioshock Infinite is not problematic (ignoring whatever the hell it was that happened in Burial at Sea). But when it's black women wrecking your white civilization in the wilderness for literally no reason, well...

What "White Civilization" did you see in that trailer?
    I'll give you that the main villains appear to be black but again I'm not sure that symbolizes anything particularly meaningful. And it's not for "no reason". It's because it's a post-apocalyptic hellscape and they are apparently some type of warlords.

Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% for people's criticism of Far Cry 5 and what it could have done better with its narrative. I just think it's way too early to jump to the conclusions being jumped to here based off of a 2 minute trailer.

SatanIsMyMotor on
This discussion has been closed.