As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] aren't worth playing until you add at least five expansions

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I am curious, but not excited.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    that's terror 2, isn't it? Kill everything, then kill cities and towns, then kill cities, then auto-win?

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    how does the collective feel about Queendomino
    Queendomino is a very excellent game. Comparing it to Kingdomino feels like a disservice, though. They fit entirely different niches: Queendomino, while a medium-weight game, is still much heavier than Kingdomino. Theoretically it should be the same length since you're placing the same number of tiles, but the decision space is much larger due to the buildings and playtime seems to be about double in my experience. I am happy to own both, but will bring them out in very different situations.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Clank! is my jam. The only thing holding me back from buying the Mummy expansion is me being at a loss for storing all these components. Sunken Treasures is so universal that you can never touch the expansion board and get great value out of the cards it created. The Mummy adds even more cards, and I worry that its less universal and I can no longer store the now massive Dungeon Deck. The latest expansion is a standalone map with some new bits and rules assosciated with those bits, which is a brilliant move. Clank in Space's theme is lame, but is arguably the more balanced game. A Legacy game should be frantic fun without being as oppresive as Pandemic.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    The one big issue I have with Clank is that the pace is rather fucked. You all start as shitty thieves with decks that will betray you (generating noise and not letting you move as often as you want to disperse), and as a deck builder you want to get some cool cards or make a cool combo or get some gnarly treasure or generally just be a less shitty thief than you start out at. Except it has a race mechanism and one person playing a short game (try to efficiently nab the 5 point artifact and then bail) means nobody gets to play that longer game. And there's not a huge incentive to play the long game from an "actually winning the game" point of view. So the game puts you at odds with the fantasy of empowering your decks/character and the way you win.
    A legacy game which offers actual escalation and necessitates the promised fantasy is a much stronger game than what you can currently buy.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    The one big issue I have with Clank is that the pace is rather fucked. You all start as shitty thieves with decks that will betray you (generating noise and not letting you move as often as you want to disperse), and as a deck builder you want to get some cool cards or make a cool combo or get some gnarly treasure or generally just be a less shitty thief than you start out at. Except it has a race mechanism and one person playing a short game (try to efficiently nab the 5 point artifact and then bail) means nobody gets to play that longer game. And there's not a huge incentive to play the long game from an "actually winning the game" point of view. So the game puts you at odds with the fantasy of empowering your decks/character and the way you win.
    A legacy game which offers actual escalation and necessitates the promised fantasy is a much stronger game than what you can currently buy.

If you have That Guy that consistently ends the game that way in your Clanking, houserule out the 5 piece until someone touches their first artifact. This has never been an issue in my groups. Also, experineces have varied wildly with the Dungeon Deck. Games where Nikki was attacking all the time with limited healing cut playtime and risk taking shorter. Games with lots of healing and limited attacks lead to players being bolder with lots of high scores. Games with lots of enemies will increase demand for Mercenaries and other combat cards. Each experience has its own score ceiling depending on how chaotic the situation is, coloring players' taste for risks.

Also, if you hate Stumble, the Sunken Treasures expansion has a lot of wonderful, universal dungeon cards with Discard effects that can convert shitty Stumbles and Burgles into insane effects.

If you really really hate the 5 piece, Clank in Space seals all the final artifacts behind gates that all players must individually work to unlock, preventing That Guy from cutting the game short.

Cantido on
  • Options
    I mean, I'm that guy. ;P Largely because the dungeon deck is so random unless something particularly excellent comes along to suggest doing otherwise I'll happily grab and dash. I want the game to make it consistently desirable to not do that.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

If you have That Guy that consistently ends the game that way in your Clanking, houserule out the 5 piece until someone touches their first artifact. This has never been an issue in my groups. Also, experineces have varied wildly with the Dungeon Deck. Games where Nikki was attacking all the time with limited healing cut playtime and risk taking shorter. Games with lots of healing and limited attacks lead to players being bolder with lots of high scores. Games with lots of enemies will increase demand for Mercenaries and other combat cards. Each experience has its own score ceiling depending on how chaotic the situation is, coloring players' taste for risks.

Also, if you hate Stumble, the Sunken Treasures expansion has a lot of wonderful, universal dungeon cards with Discard effects that can convert shitty Stumbles and Burgles into insane effects.

If you really really hate the 5 piece, Clank in Space seals all the final artifacts behind gates that all players must individually work to unlock, preventing That Guy from cutting the game short.

Yeah That Guy gets hosed by Space! pretty hard. As I mentioned earlier, it also lacks the "rocks fall, everyone dies" timer that makes this strategy so brutal otherwise.

• Options
    When you put it that way, I should try and find a game of Clank in Space! to try at some point. Duly noted~

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I disliked in space. Felt too long and I didn't really enjoy the added hoop jumping.

I wonder if it breaks the game to use in space's end game instead of the everyone dies version. I think in space was just the bad guy attacks more?

• Options
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    I disliked in space. Felt too long and I didn't really enjoy the added hoop jumping.

I wonder if it breaks the game to use in space's end game instead of the everyone dies version. I think in space was just the bad guy attacks more?

Yeah he hires bounty hunters (red cubes).

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Woohoo! My copy of That's Not Lemonade! just arrived. Cant wait for dinner to be over so we can take it for a spin.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Huh, that sounds like a clever way to modify the game. Buy some red cubes and put them on the rage track.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Huh, that sounds like a clever way to modify the game. Buy some red cubes and put them on the rage track.

Well you'd need a different color for Clank but the theory is sound.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Ok, yep. That's Not Lemonade! is perfect for light filler, especially with kids. Press your luck of the purest, quickest kind.

• Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    So I don't get to play too many games these days, what with life happening and all (3 young kids, new job, etc). Sometimes I wonder why I have a collection of 50+ games... the thought comes, "maybe I should unload most of them".

But last month my oldest turned 7, and his reading ability has sort of exploded recently. We have played simple games, he likes Star Realms, but he hasn't had much of a attention span, I try not to push it. But the other night suddenly he was in my face with the Arcadia Quest box, saying, "I want to play THIS game, daddy, just us!" He often gets stuck playing with his younger siblings, definitely a reasonable request. I had put on a quick video about it (Vasel, I think, because he was really enthusiastic about it) while I cleaned off the table.

Quick game summary: This is a light RPG campaign game where players choose 3 characters and go through 6 missions in total. Each mission lasts about 45 minutes. You fight the monsters, and each other (it is NOT co-op), but death just makes you drop quest markers and respawn. Missions end when someone completes three missions (some PvE, some PvP). You collect coins and use them to buy upgrades between missions.

So we set the game up, start playing, and I realize pretty quickly that he has picked up every detail from the video, and corrects me once or twice. And then I realize that I'm subconsciously trying too hard... he's learning how to move guys around and use their ability, while I'm headed directly for a quest marker (I'm going to blame Imperial Assault for that impulse). I slow down a bit, so that he can get some useful things done before I end the mission. We draft the 6 cards to choose our upgrades, he definitely gets and keeps the best cards, darn it, and we're set up to play again later this week.

But I haven't really conveyed what happened. AQ allows us to slug it out like cats and dogs... or play it more like "I got to a thing before you", and they both seem pretty valid. He can "attack daddy", and get attacked, but there's also other things to do. It's a simple game, but depending on the characters you start with, and equipment you choose, you can layer on some fun tactical tricks (e.g. flanking). I thought I was just going to humor my son, but I had a ball. Part of it was probably that simply playing with another excited, capable player really makes the game come alive. Probably part of it was just seeing him "get it", especially at the end, when his eyes sort of widened as he realized he was getting better equipment, and that he would be able to use it for the NEXT mission. I'm totally up for that. I liked the game already, but wow, it's possible that an expansion is going to have his name on it under the tree.

Which means MY name is also on it, in invisible ink.

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    So, next step after that is Wiz War, right?

• Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular

The way things are going, he would be the one teaching it to me. I'm kind of expecting that, one day soon, I'll come home from work and see a game like this totally set up, with a little face looking expectantly at me.

Not that I would complain.

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    Dark WhiteDark White Registered User regular
    Ugh, my Keyforge experience is not off to a great start.

I ordered five decks on Black Friday that just came. My intent is just to play casually with friends and four of the decks have the same three factions. I was hoping for a nice variety across the decks but doesn’t look like that’s going to be the case.

jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Aw man, that's pretty astonishingly rough luck.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Out of the 4 decks in my group of friends, no one got Mars, and 3 have Logos and Sanctum. Lots of similar cards, but each play differently.

Not too thrilled with my deck, but need to play it more to see if I can figure it out. First game I played I couldn't keep creatures out because they would be killed/returned, and the deck has little Amber generation, so it feels like it relies on reaping.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think that's just unfortunately bad luck to get the same houses on 4 out of 5 decks. I've bought 4 decks with no deck having the same 3 houses (though I do have brobnar/mars/dis, brobnar/sanctum/dis, brobnar/sanctum/logos). I did manage to pull at least 1 of each house over the 4 decks however.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think I have sanctum in three of my four decks. But they still play differently. Untamed is what I only have one of.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Dark WhiteDark White Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    The four that are the same are Brobnar, Untamed, Logos. So, I guess I hope that ends up being a fun combination.

Brobnar, sanctum, Mars in the fifth.

Edit: And now I’m also seeing the insidious shit this all is. Because I’m sitting here and can’t help myself from thinking: “Well, I should probably get a couple more decks then so that I can diversify things.” Because I’m weak and a moron.

Dark White on
    jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Untamed is the strongest house imo, so yeah not bad. Probably a bit packing in interfering with your opponent making keys but insanely good at rushing your own.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Clank Acquisitions Inc

Legacy deck builder with penny arcade assets is laser targeted at me to a cellular level.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    My fourth is Shadows/Untamed/Logos. It had a strong opening early in the game I played today, but petered out toward the end against the Brobnar/Sanctum/Dis deck.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Clank Acquisitions Inc

Legacy deck builder with penny arcade assets is laser targeted at me to a cellular level.

Nothing can replace Clank's design space for me.

If Dice Forge got an adventure as good as Clank's....

Cantido on
  • Options
    Dark White wrote: »
    Edit: And now I’m also seeing the insidious shit this all is. Because I’m sitting here and can’t help myself from thinking: “Well, I should probably get a couple more decks then so that I can diversify things.” Because I’m weak and a moron.

I imagine there could be, if not already, a decent trading community where you can trade out decks you don't want for decks with cards/houses you do want.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Dark White wrote: »
    The four that are the same are Brobnar, Untamed, Logos. So, I guess I hope that ends up being a fun combination.

Brobnar, sanctum, Mars in the fifth.

If you have nepenthe seed (untamed) and library access (logos) in the same deck, then you can do some fun card draw shenanigans. Play library access, sacrifice seed, get library acres from discard and play it again. And you can start drawing your whole deck into your hand.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

Wiz War is one of my all-time favorite games, not in a “this is a balanced and fair game experience” way but in a “Oh shit that was awesome what just happened” way.

We have had to house rule about a thousand different things because otherwise the rules lawyering would rage on into the night.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    AEG just announced the first expansion to Space Base.

Unfortunately, I can't find ANYTHING about it - no news posts, no description of what it brings to the table.. only the release date.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    So the iOS game Carrier Battles, a nod to old school hex wargames, is nearing the end of a kickstarter for a PC/android port ($25k left to go for a couple days).

Although they decided to end the kickstarter on the Pearl Harbor anniversary? That fine, fine line between tribute and tacky.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Managed to get a game of Dungeon Lords going at my meetup.
    Teaching it was rough. There are so many little exceptions to the rules. Still, I have to judge my teach a success as I finished in last with zero points.
    I'm going to say I was too busy fielding questions to make good choices. Yeah, that's the excuse.
    Don't worry the rules tells me, I'll get my Dungeon Licence next time.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Managed to get a game of Dungeon Lords going at my meetup.
    Teaching it was rough. There are so many little exceptions to the rules. Still, I have to judge my teach a success as I finished in last with zero points.
    I'm going to say I was too busy fielding questions to make good choices. Yeah, that's the excuse.
    Don't worry the rules tells me, I'll get my Dungeon Licence next time.

That's the spirit! :D

• Options
    Relevant to this thread:

i-BnLfnVx-2100x20000.jpg

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Ooh I found a local copy of Teotihuacan for like a dollar more than my infinitely delayed miniature market pre-order. Cancelled, bought, thank you very much. I'm excited!

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Question about mid may starting June on pandemic legacy season 1. My card has to be screwed up. We opened it in may, says discard at end of april, and has may rules in it.

So the card for after plying a game in may
    Told us to open box 8 and there was 4 cards in it. 3 nukes or whatever to stop an epidimic, and one that said place 3 roadblocks or something like that before the game if you won a game in march. Discard at april. I know this box can be opened early but this all seemed kind of odd

We ended up winning our second game in may by the skin of our teeth. Maybe our favoritr month yet to play
    so we're running low on the players deck and the games avout to end. We have a person with the last cure in Atlanta but one card in the players deck and 2 turns until her.

Then I see the "open box 8 after your first game in may before game end upgrades" . Think it's going to be nothing. Open it up. What is it? 3 more cards that are supposed to be in the players deck.

My turn place the 5th military base. My mom's turn she gets the 6th. We've already eradicated blue and cured red. We grt an outbreak in sydney, who cares. My girlfriends turn.

Turn in yellow giving us 3 of our victory conditions met, and win may in our second game with no cards left to draw.

Edit also question about the dispatcher
    It says it can move a pawn as if it's their own, so can they charter flights? If so, if the dispatcher has the pilot upgrade, can he do this for another player and not discard a card?

RickRude on
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Shower thought: I wonder how well Codenames works in languages where you can have really absurd compound words, e.g. German. I remember in my first semester of college learning a single word that was "the daughter of the captain of the steamboat that travels up and down the Rhine river". Do they have rules that prevent you from using that kind of clue, or is that not actually practical?

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Why would that be something that needs rules? The entire idea of the game is about how you can interpret vocabulary. I have to imagine unless you have a particularly crazy board state that - like most things in Codenames - you're still either being hyper-specific about one or two words, or you're being hyper-cryptic and nobody else is going to know if you're talking about A and B, or X and Y.

ArcticLancer on
This discussion has been closed.