As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Lego] Overwatch sets incoming!

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I only bought my wife the Diner modular... and now I'm tempted by this one. I just have to remind myself that I have no room for big sets... heck, I don't think I even have enough room for the unbuilt sets I have now.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Man, some of the detail work on that facade is so cool. Very simple pieces that create something elegant and understated.

Can someone please buy me a (real-life) house so I can have the space to display Modulars? I have two, and that's basically the limit of what I will ever be able to display, I suspect.

Delduwath wrote: »
    Man, some of the detail work on that facade is so cool. Very simple pieces that create something elegant and understated.

Can someone please buy me a (real-life) house so I can have the space to display Modulars? I have two, and that's basically the limit of what I will ever be able to display, I suspect.

Trust me, even with a house you'll end up having display limitations.

Unless of course you display stuff like this throughout the entire thing instead of furniture.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »

Trust me, even with a house you'll end up having display limitations.

Unless of course you display stuff like this throughout the entire thing instead of furniture.

Clearly, the best solution is furniture that doubles as displays.
    16u0vikaabln.jpg

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I’m very soon to purchase and install some shelves for my corner of the basement for the express purpose of displaying LEGO. It’s going to be so many shelves, y’all!

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    That new modular is weird as heck. Inverted corner is a good new addition.

It almost feels like they've started a new city with Downtown Diner, now we're in 50's USA and they don't connect to the older city that went up to Assembly Square.

Oh brilliant
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

It almost feels like they've started a new city with Downtown Diner, now we're in 50's USA and they don't connect to the older city that went up to Assembly Square.

Well the Ninjago work with the modulars as well so I wonder if there will be more of those

• MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    Oh my god, there should be a Star Wars modular.

Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

Well the Ninjago work with the modulars as well so I wonder if there will be more of those

I'm expecting at least one more. It blows my mind that they made the docks able to work on both sides with the cobblestone walkways, but at the same time it is fairly obvious how it is supposed to connect up. So I want one for the other side. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Oh my god, there should be a Star Wars modular.

That would force me to start an LLC business, get a business loan, and subsequently file for bankruptcy. After depreciating the capital of my used office decorations, of course.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I was saved from modulars by brickloot, they do mini modular modularsin their monthly crate ( but can also buy em from their store)
    And Oh snap I was just looking for a pic to go with it and they doing a sale on mini modular bundles
    Brick_Loot_Mini_City_5_Stores_1024x1024.jpg?v=1542657527

https://www.brickloot.com/collections/all/products/mini-city-bundle-pick-5

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

Sorry, can't do it, that Vegetable sticker going over 2 plates is a dealbreaker. :(

(Otherwise holy cow is that awesome)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Starting to get pretty dang worried about the Infinity War Bricktober pack not showing up in the US yet. It's also a little late to recruit a Canadian to go get one for me. D:

Oh brilliant
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    My mother is in her 70s and throughout her whole life she has had a fascination with carousels.

Would it be strange for me to build the Lego Carousel set (https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Carousel-10257) and add lighting and power (https://www.brickloot.com/products/led-lighting-kit-for-lego-carousel-10257) and give it to her for her birthday?

Would that be weird?

Tell me it would be weird.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    My mother is in her 70s and throughout her whole life she has had a fascination with carousels.

Would it be strange for me to build the Lego Carousel set (https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Carousel-10257) and add lighting and power (https://www.brickloot.com/products/led-lighting-kit-for-lego-carousel-10257) and give it to her for her birthday?

Would that be weird?

Bogart wrote: »
    It sounds kind of a lovely idea, actually.

I would also try to find mini figures that resemble your family. And/or close friends. Bonus if you can get multiple generations

camo_sig.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Would that be weird?

Why not ask her if she wanted to build it with you?

DarkPrimus wrote: »

Would that be weird?

Why not ask her if she wanted to build it with you?

I think it would have more impact if it just showed up.

camo_sig.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I understand that feeling, on the one hand, but on the other hand, part of the enjoyment of LEGO is putting them together, and it would be something that you and your mother could spend time doing together.

I dunno, maybe get a smaller LEGO set or a puzzle or something and see if she wants to work on it together before the carousel. Test the waters?

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Hard to imagine a more tailor-made hell for me than building a complex lego set with someone else. Put that brick here. No, THAT brick. The red one. The other red one are you even listening. No no no, put it this way. TURNWISE.

Doing a small simple one first is a great idea though.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    For me, it's just that I'm selfish. I want to place every brick myself; it's like squeezing every drop of juice out of the set. If I have to share, I'd rather just abdicate and let them build the whole thing themselves.

I imagine that I'll reverse positions on this the instant my kid gets old enough to be interested in Lego.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Hard to imagine a more tailor-made hell for me than building a complex lego set with someone else. Put that brick here. No, THAT brick. The red one. The other red one are you even listening. No no no, put it this way. TURNWISE.

Sure, but what if the person you're building with is a kid on the low end of that age scale?
    I suppose that might not be as bad as co-building with an adult though. I mean, if it's a nephew or something you can normally task them with sorting the bits out. The adult will almost certainly recognize that as busy work so you can do the fun bits.

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

My wife loves sorting and locating the pieces in sets (which I hate) and I love snapping pieces together (which is painful for her because of a medical thing) so we make a great team building modulars.

The best part was coming up with our own lexicon to describe weird pieces.

I Zimbra on
    I Zimbra wrote: »

My wife loves sorting and locating the pieces in sets (which I hate) and I love snapping pieces together (which is painful for her because of a medical thing) so we make a great team building modulars.

The best part was coming up with our own lexicon to describe weird pieces.

That is basically what I do with my son. I sort while he builds and if he needs to make 2 of something I end up doing it

camo_sig.png
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    My dad an I used to build lego sets that way. One would read the instructions, call out pieces needed, and build while the other person found the pieces. That was before each page had a "You need this many of these specific pieces" box.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Cooperatively building it seems like a good idea, except:

1) I don't think my mom would be terribly interested in the actual building process
    2) This is a really complicated set and would take a long time.
    3) I'd be adding to the complexity by adding a third-party light kit

But I sometimes cooperatively build with my girlfriend or niece or nephew and have fun. I like that. Just I don't think my mom would be into it.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

One thing that gives me pause is that my mother's fascination with carousels is really a corollary to her love of horses. (We used to live on a farm with horses. Now that she's older she lives in the suburbs, so she collects Breyer horse figurines.)

The Lego carousel is mostly... animals other than horses. A tiger, a frog, etc.

I'd want to design and build an extra horse or two and replace some of the animals. To make it more... horsey.

That seems daunting.

I might be overthinking things.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Just use generic single piece Lego horses?

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Also, I got 40292 - the promotional Christmas Gift Box and holy fuck is it adorable.

https://brickset.com/sets/40292-1/Christmas-Gift-Box

The pictures don't do it justice. It looks like a little present and then it opens up to reveal a cozy living room!

Not my video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei4Po6AmPiI

Cut to 3 weeks later
    So I built a life size carousel, horses and all, out of lego. anyone know a good site for putting some motors in?

Cut to 3 weeks later
    So I built a life size carousel, horses and all, out of lego. anyone know a good site for putting some motors in?

I taxidermied the horses myself and implanted technics gears to articulate the joints

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Actual footage of the horses

https://youtu.be/SDlwoqpuJxQ

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Also, I got 40292 - the promotional Christmas Gift Box and holy fuck is it adorable.

https://brickset.com/sets/40292-1/Christmas-Gift-Box

The pictures don't do it justice. It looks like a little present and then it opens up to reveal a cozy living room!

Not my video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei4Po6AmPiI

Dangit, you just reminded me that I missed that bonus kit. Oh well, not the first time.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • bfickybficky Registered User regular
    Those mini modulars from brickloot are quite interesting. I love the scale of mini-modulars (of course I love the look of the larger modular sets but I don't have the space or money to get the big ones), but I've never heard of brickloot before. The sets from them are legit legos, right, not some knockoffs like megablocks? They're not officially licensed sets, but they're fan-designed and made out of real lego bricks? I might have to jump on that bundle deal.

Here's the top of my bookshelf at work (I'm a structural engineer so they're work appropriate :biggrin:) :

xdpyc2xa0b9i.jpeg

It's the White House, the New York skyline, the Mini Modular set they had a few years ago, and the two years of Bricktober sets from Toys R Us (RIP). Those brickloot sets would go perfectly with what I have up there (also the Diagon Alley mini modular set I got for free when I bought this year's Christmas set but haven't put together yet).

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Actual footage of the horses

https://youtu.be/SDlwoqpuJxQ

Oh god, I watched this film the other night; it was horrifying. Santa teams up with Merlin to save the children and Christmas from the Devil.

bficky wrote: »
    Those mini modulars from brickloot are quite interesting. I love the scale of mini-modulars (of course I love the look of the larger modular sets but I don't have the space or money to get the big ones), but I've never heard of brickloot before. The sets from them are legit legos, right, not some knockoffs like megablocks? They're not officially licensed sets, but they're fan-designed and made out of real lego bricks? I might have to jump on that bundle deal.

Here's the top of my bookshelf at work (I'm a structural engineer so they're work appropriate :biggrin:) :

xdpyc2xa0b9i.jpeg

It's the White House, the New York skyline, the Mini Modular set they had a few years ago, and the two years of Bricktober sets from Toys R Us (RIP). Those brickloot sets would go perfectly with what I have up there (also the Diagon Alley mini modular set I got for free when I bought this year's Christmas set but haven't put together yet).

Ya while brickloot does sometimes do non lego product, the mini modular are all using official Lego bricks

• bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Ya while brickloot does sometimes do non lego product, the mini modular are all using official Lego bricks

Interesting.

And by interesting, I mean I have 2 of the 5-set bundles (the 9 mini modulars plus the Titanic set) in my shopping cart and my cursor hovering over the purchase button.

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
    bficky wrote: »

Interesting.

And by interesting, I mean I have 2 of the 5-set bundles (the 9 mini modulars plus the Titanic set) in my shopping cart and my cursor hovering over the purchase button.

Ya they will be front and center in the description as well if the product is using a non Lego brick. The kid that curates/started it is a real fanatic, even when non Lego bricks he aims for quality models. Very few Megabloks have ever been seen on Brickloot

Shit. Now I’m looking at that store too. Specifically the light kits for Ecto-1 and the Ghostbuster Firehouse.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Starting on the Winter Village fire station.

When did they start outlining the new bricks in the pictures in the instructions?

MhCw7nZ.gif
This discussion has been closed.