As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What is your religion [chat]?

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I often wonder how come Valve is the only one capable of making a halfway-decent client that doesn't do annoying things.

Bethesda's client won't save your credentials for very long. It saves the username on the login screen, but I still have to grudgingly fire up 1Password to get my password.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    So I guess some people would rather there were fewer games selling platforms for the PC. Maybe just one, in fact, and it could be controlled by the governm

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    That jerking off on figurines subreddit
    Echo wrote: »
    I often wonder how come Valve is the only one capable of making a halfway-decent client that doesn't do annoying things.

Bethesda's client won't save your credentials for very long. It saves the username on the login screen, but I still have to grudgingly fire up 1Password to get my password.

I honestly think Origin's a better client than Steam by a wide margin, it just... doesn't have access to the vast majority of the games that I want to play. Which is a pretty big downside!

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    The joke option
    wandering wrote: »
    I don’t shop like a depression era grandmother anymore, that wasn’t so hard a habit to break after grad school. But I still use leftovers like one. That I figured was a habit worth keeping and cultivating. Food does not belong in the trash.

Leftover chicken becomes soup. Leftover vegetables get minced and cooked into omelettes. Leftovers are always eaten preferentially over newly cooked food, doctored to taste better if necessary.

Fruit going off is used for baking not thrown out.
    what about the giant thing of lettuce you bought aspirationally that hasn't been touched and is now slimy

people make this joke a lot but when I buy lettuce, several meals will be giant salads to consume it proactively.
    I salad you

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    i demand single payer nationalized digital distribution

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    This is a hell of a thread to steam me thinks, ESPECIALLY for indie games

idk man

will they get the critical mass they need? Why not just sell on both platforms? If they demand exclusivity it'll either fragment the player base or fail.

Doesn’t seem like they are demanding exclusivity. It would be up to developers if they sell both places. I can certainly see games for sale in both places but being more expensive on steam.

Doesn't Epic games currently have questionable security? Or account service issues?

I recently had to deactivate mine because every single day it was getting pinged for brute force attacks and they would just send emails that said "you have tried to log in too many times!".

Every single day.

When I searched this seemed like a common thing.

I haven't touched anything with that account in literally years so it was no big deal to deactivate it but I saw some annoyed Fortnite players on reddit talking about the issue.

They're gonna steal your vbucks man

• Options
    The joke option
    Bogart wrote: »
    So I guess some people would rather there were fewer games selling platforms for the PC. Maybe just one, in fact, and it could be controlled by the governm
    ooh and then the government could make it illegal to release a game without a Mac version.

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »

I honestly think Origin's a better client than Steam by a wide margin, it just... doesn't have access to the vast majority of the games that I want to play. Which is a pretty big downside!

1c3.jpg

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Kinda sucks that epic doesn’t plan to allow any adult content though. Steam remains the only option for weird sex games.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    What if you didn't have to use a game client, and could just install games individually on your PC...

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    I guess there’s also itch.io for weird sex games but itch requires you find your own payment processor and none of THOSE want to be anywhere near adult content either so it’s an effective deterrent.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Surely there is a way to have multiple competing digital sales platforms but also not force players to install half a dozen clients and manage half a dozen passwords

They should integrate somehow

You know, like the kind of cross platform cooperation we've seen with consoles, in cases such as

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Tech marketing speak has become more and more utterly intolerable to me

If you want to know how to defeat me, begin explaining to me how your disruptive mobile ecommerce solution has increased user engagement by 32% for these top brands by providing individualized shopping experiences and cross-channel conversion tracking to leverage your customer data with state-of-the-art analytics. It will throw me into a temporary rage state, but during this time I will become vulnerable to attack.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »

1c3.jpg

In an EVEN MORE hot take, I think uplay is actually pretty decent

In no small part due to the ability to trade their achievement points for a 20% discount code at any time.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    I guess there’s also itch.io for weird sex games but itch requires you find your own payment processor and none of THOSE want to be anywhere near adult content either so it’s an effective deterrent.
    Make all weird sex games free to play

• Options
    What if you didn't have to use a game client, and could just install games individually on your PC...

Maybe a store somewhere in town where you could browse games on the shelf and pay in cash so if weird sex games were your thing that would be an untraceable way of purchasing them I guess haven't thought about it much tho

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Origin has the better customer service by such a wide margin Steam and Valve aren't even on the chart.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    The joke option

Epic will use its billions from Fortnite to fund this, it will flop in an overcrowded market, Epic will go bankrupt and I'll never get Unreal Tournament 2020.

• Options

PAY THE ARTIST.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    12% vs 30% for epic vs steam is like a hella huge deal though. Especially if you're paying license fees for an engine on top of it too.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Origin has the better customer service by such a wide margin Steam and Valve aren't even on the chart.

Valve will continue to be trash as long as Newell is in charge.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    "disruption": dismantling functioning institutions with decades or even centuries of established mechanisms and interrelationships, and stripping them for parts, making sure never to consider the actual consequences on real people and especially poor people

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular

I think @Blameless Cleric just had an brain aneurysm at you advocating not paying artists

• Options
    The joke option
    also the government could mandate that all games pop a message up every thirty minutes urging people to take a break, exercise, and go outside

• Options
    edited December 2018

PAY THE ARTIST.

I said free to play, not free! Lootbox dongs!

SniperGuy on
  • Options

Uh

This has not been my experience! At all! In fact it's the complete opposite!

I haven't used Origin support in a while though, but steam support lately has seemed pretty good.

• Options
    I don’t shop like a depression era grandmother anymore, that wasn’t so hard a habit to break after grad school. But I still use leftovers like one. That I figured was a habit worth keeping and cultivating. Food does not belong in the trash.

Leftover chicken becomes soup. Leftover vegetables get minced and cooked into omelettes. Leftovers are always eaten preferentially over newly cooked food, doctored to taste better if necessary.

Fruit going off is used for baking not thrown out.
    what about the giant thing of lettuce you bought aspirationally that hasn't been touched and is now slimy

people make this joke a lot but when I buy lettuce, several meals will be giant salads to consume it proactively.

The only way I will eat lettuce that I have purchased is if I prepare and eat it immediately.

Which actually seems like kind of a good strategy in general for getting myself to cook, I will forget the contents of my fridge and waste food, so better just buy things I intend to eat in the immediate future.

I did also have the idea of an app that you use to just keep inventory of your fridge, with like notifications when something is going to expire soon.

Could probably do some integrations with like calorie counter or recipe apps too.

• Options
    also the government could mandate that all games pop a message up every thirty minutes urging people to take a break, exercise, and go outside

Oh so all games are now nintendo games

• Options
    The joke option
    12% vs 30% for epic vs steam is like a hella huge deal though. Especially if you're paying license fees for an engine on top of it too.
    Games using any engine will be allowed on the store, though Epic will waive the licence charge for games that use its Unreal Engine.

:exclaim:

Well, hell, why not do what the Japanese did in the 80s? Get all the games in your store by charging 2% and when you're standing over the corpses of your bankrupt competition, charge 40%.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Miss Kitty is rich now.

hp895skouc9r.png

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    I said free to play, not free! Lootbox dongs!

Pay $1.99 to give Phyllis female presenting nipples. Until you pay, she's smooth all over like a Barbie doll.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Other

The FBI could warn us about the dangers of drugs and alcohol during loading-screens again. I've missed that from my life.

• Options
    I bet free to play sex games would probably not make as much money as your average gacha clicker type deal because people would assume every single part of it is some kind of malware though.

(Note, I am not advocating not paying artists)

• Options
    "disruption": dismantling functioning institutions with decades or even centuries of established mechanisms and interrelationships, and stripping them for parts, making sure never to consider the actual consequences on real people and especially poor people

I actually think the idea of "disruptive technology" is great in a vacuum and that our institutions should be stripped for parts, the problem is that all of this disruption is working exclusively in the interests of corporate investors and the rich and is being carried out by profit-seeking entities. It is disgusting how much time people in SV spend trying to come up with new problems to solve for rich people when just the tiniest amount of brain power dedicated to people who could actually benefit from it could make massive improvements in their lives.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    This is a hell of a thread to steam me thinks, ESPECIALLY for indie games

What if this impacts steam’s bottom line so much that valve is forced to release half life 3 to make up for it

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    an hour ago i just got 6 requests to change my Path of Exile password

someone is trying to get into my account me things

• Options
    The joke option
    Auralynx wrote: »

The FBI could warn us about the dangers of drugs and alcohol during loading-screens again. I've missed that from my life.

Why is America's Army always at the top of the Top Sellers list? That was released in 2004!

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I got yer free to play sex game right it
    its my dick

• Options
    Every few weeks someone tries to reset the password on my roblox account

I never made a roblox account

But someone did and used my email address and now it's my roblox account. Some kid has been making various accounts for ages and I don't know how to make them stop

This discussion has been closed.