As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What is your religion [chat]?

1929394959698»

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    I don’t shop like a depression era grandmother anymore, that wasn’t so hard a habit to break after grad school. But I still use leftovers like one. That I figured was a habit worth keeping and cultivating. Food does not belong in the trash.

Leftover chicken becomes soup. Leftover vegetables get minced and cooked into omelettes. Leftovers are always eaten preferentially over newly cooked food, doctored to taste better if necessary.

Fruit going off is used for baking not thrown out.

What about the leftover parsley and cilantro that you buy for a recipe that only calls for a few tablespoons and then you forget about it at the bottom of the vegetable drawer until it becomes a liquid?

I made mexican green rice with it last night. Not kidding! I had these exact things from thanksgiving and I made green rice to use them.

Also they make spice pastes in a tube that are pretty great, basically taste like fresh, and they last over a month after opening.
    wandering wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    It was not immediately clear whether the government’s announcement, which also delayed new vehicle inspection measures and increases in gas and electricity rates, would be enough to calm the demonstrations. Initial reaction from spokesmen for Yellow Vest protesters was negative.

“We’re not satisfied because the French have been struggling for years now,” Benjamin Cauchy, one of the spokesmen, said on BFMTV. “This could have been done weeks ago, and we would have avoided all these problems. Our demands are much bigger than this moratorium. They’ve got to stop hitting the wallets of the small earners. We want a better distribution of wealth, salary increases. It’s about the whole baguette, not just the crumbs.

How can this be an actual French expression

This would be like me saying “it’s about the whole Big Mac, not just the wrapper”
    or "you can't have your cake and eat it too"

I always think of Marie Antoinette when I hear that expression actually
    Ilpala wrote: »
    It was not immediately clear whether the government’s announcement, which also delayed new vehicle inspection measures and increases in gas and electricity rates, would be enough to calm the demonstrations. Initial reaction from spokesmen for Yellow Vest protesters was negative.

“We’re not satisfied because the French have been struggling for years now,” Benjamin Cauchy, one of the spokesmen, said on BFMTV. “This could have been done weeks ago, and we would have avoided all these problems. Our demands are much bigger than this moratorium. They’ve got to stop hitting the wallets of the small earners. We want a better distribution of wealth, salary increases. It’s about the whole baguette, not just the crumbs.

How can this be an actual French expression

This would be like me saying “it’s about the whole Big Mac, not just the wrapper”

Do you...eat the wrapper?

I was going to say “pickles” but I felt like the point was to evoke refuse or remnants

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Other
    a day of rest for my legs
    no walking or biking
    unfortunately its evening and they are still so sore
    but I really like biking to work every day
    i am now trying icy hot and ibuprofen
    also ate a bunch of protein

It's never my legs that need a break from biking. It's always my butt!
    everyone talks about biking hurting their trundle but I am 100% okay on that front
    but my thighs are incredibly incredibly stiff and sore after a full week of biking every day

That wears off / you get acclimatized to it, though I've been there often since I'm not the most regular rider.

Butt-hurting via bike never stops even when you keep at it frequently.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    That jerking off on figurines subreddit
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Just Cause 4 looks fun, but it'll probably run like ass and have another memory leak.

I haven't seen anything but I enjoyed 2 and 3. As long as they understand the core concept of I want to blow shit up then we're good.

I just got burned because 3 on consoles ran poorly and again had a memory leak that forced me to hard boot my xbox that always upsets me

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I don’t shop like a depression era grandmother anymore, that wasn’t so hard a habit to break after grad school. But I still use leftovers like one. That I figured was a habit worth keeping and cultivating. Food does not belong in the trash.

Leftover chicken becomes soup. Leftover vegetables get minced and cooked into omelettes. Leftovers are always eaten preferentially over newly cooked food, doctored to taste better if necessary.

What about the leftover parsley and cilantro that you buy for a recipe that only calls for a few tablespoons and then you forget about it at the bottom of the vegetable drawer until it becomes a liquid?

I made mexican green rice with it last night. Not kidding! I had these exact things from thanksgiving and I made green rice to use them.

Also they make spice pastes in a tube that are pretty great, basically taste like fresh, and they last over a month after opening.

I know these exist but I’ve never actually tried one

Now I’m looking at a tube of North African chili+garlic paste on Amazon

🌶🤔

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    "disruption": dismantling functioning institutions with decades or even centuries of established mechanisms and interrelationships, and stripping them for parts, making sure never to consider the actual consequences on real people and especially poor people

I actually think the idea of "disruptive technology" is great in a vacuum and that our institutions should be stripped for parts, the problem is that all of this disruption is working exclusively in the interests of corporate investors and the rich and is being carried out by profit-seeking entities. It is disgusting how much time people in SV spend trying to come up with new problems to solve for rich people when just the tiniest amount of brain power dedicated to people who could actually benefit from it could make massive improvements in their lives.

Institutions should not be stripped for parts. Institutions play crucial roles in a functioning society that supports people both inside and outside its borders.

The fact is that institutions function under a kind of selective pressure. Old, established institutions can have an enormous number of processes and interdependent functions, a massive amount of institutional knowledge and methods for succession and knowledge transfer, etc etc.

When you try to dismantle or radically reform an institution, you risk compromising those functions and destroying that knowledge. We're seeing this happen right in front of us.

There is a reason conservative approaches exist (real conservative approaches, as in, conserving existing institutions) and it's because intervention isn't always a good idea, especially when it's carried out with little knowledge of the institution in question. Protecting existing, vital functions is as important as improving functions that are faltering.

No disagreement here at all, actually, I just also think we're at a moment where this balance has shifted and we need to be strongly reevaluating our existing institutions and how they're operating in light of rapid, inevitable changes in the world around us. "Stripping for parts" is not quite correct, but I do think we need to be doing a very thorough evaluation of babies and bathwater.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    @Atomika

Also in my absence, I discovered that one of the largest furry conventions in the midwest was taking place at the convention center next door and many attendees were staying at my hotel. There was a bit of a double take when I came home from dinner and discovered this.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    This is a hell of a thread to steam me thinks, ESPECIALLY for indie games

What if this impacts steam’s bottom line so much that valve is forced to release half life 3 to make up for it

half life three but the battle royale mode is much more popular than the main game

Battle Royale, but with gravity and portal guns.

Portal Royale would be great

Also 4v1 Portal where one person is GLaDOS vs four test subjects.

As long as I get a quip button where I can make GLaDOS yell insults at people.

• Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    good morning you pack of jackals

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    fcc i'm really excited that you're biking so much

a little jealous and a little glad its not me

sig.gif
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Just Cause 4 looks fun, but it'll probably run like ass and have another memory leak.

I haven't seen anything but I enjoyed 2 and 3. As long as they understand the core concept of I want to blow shit up then we're good.

I just got burned because 3 on consoles ran poorly and again had a memory leak that forced me to hard boot my xbox that always upsets me

It had a memory leak on the PC too. But I solved that by putting a shit ton of RAM in my machine. So it worked out. Then I got to play with the mechs. I didn't realize the series needed a way to shoot someone into orbit. But it did.

• MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Journal of Empirical Research on Human Research Ethics

*psyduck*

It had a memory leak on the PC too. But I solved that by putting a shit ton of RAM in my machine. So it worked out. Then I got to play with the mechs. I didn't realize the series needed a way to shoot someone into orbit. But it did.

I forget do you have a console? Did you play RDR 2 yet?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    That's the thing, "disruption" is an ideology about rapid change with little preparation. That's the explicit motto, right--move fast and break stuff.

I agree that institutions should be audited and constantly pushed to reform and improve, but that's a process that demands rigour, research, expertise, familiarity, cost/benefit analysis, etc. It's a lengthy, neverending process, and trying to shortcut it has nasty long-term consequences

tumblr_nv0yjpsgIo1repobao1_640.jpg

I don't have a current gen one and thus no RDR 2 yet. I have two weeks in a row off coming up so I will likely pick up one and get RDR2.

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Shark, I don’t think you’ve ever said so much as a word about another person’s weight. You just aren’t that kind of guy. But if you did.

if. you. did.

I would end you.

is it a mitigating factor if I state I was doing this not to gain weight but just to maintain my grossly underfed body on a super thin budget because I was somehow supporting porp (her parents cut her off when she decided to go to school out in NC to be close to me) at the same time via a combination of her part time job, some loans, my tutoring job and my other job as a human lab rat down at the business school and psychology school

Did you go off your school meal plan? Don't most schools have an all you can eat cafeteria?

my school only had all you can eat freshman year. porp didn't move down until sophomore year, since she initially went into the army.

Interesting. At my school, most people went off campus (literally just 5-10 minutes walking distance from the dorms) after freshman/sophmore year. But after Ultimate practice, we would have the freshman swipe us into the all you can eat cafeteria. I think at that point it cost a "block" and each block was worth $5.50. Pretty good deal! It was especially fun after layout practice in the rain.

our practices were from 7:30-10pm tues/thurs and then 8-10 sat, but the Saturday practice was at the main campus, which is a ~30 minute bus ride from the freshman campus on the weekend

on weekdays the practices were on the freshman campus, but the meal hall would be closed by 10pm. im honestly not sure the freshman could have swiped us in anyways. I think we would have had to swipe ourselves, and then get our account charged the $7 or whatever it was.

Freshman campus? What the heck, Duke?

Yeah, our practices were 3-6 and two blocks from the cafeteria, so prime dinner time afterwards. Winter practices were 10PM-12, but there were campus restaurants that did half price dinner after 11PM for people that were hungry after.

Yeah, Duke has an East campus, a West campus and a Central campus.

Central campus is solely apartment living for Juniors and Seniors. All the Freshmen live in dorms on East campus, and there's a single meal hall there for them. Most classes are on West campus, but the Music building and maybe one other building is on East campus. From the East campus bus stop to the West campus bus stop is about a mile and a half, and there's buses constantly going back and forth during regular hours, but on the weekends it's just the Central campus bus, which winds through the Central campus apartments and takes about 30 minutes to go from East to West.

You're required to live on campus for 3 years, and many opted to do it for 4. Duke is about 1/3 greek and all the frats/sororities are located on West campus. When you include, um, I think they were called "selective living groups" or something (they functioned as co-ed frats, complete with an "application" process that was basically like rushing), that percentage is north of 50%, all located on West campus.

The city of Durham is not, historically, a huge fan of Duke so the administration has done everything they can to keep students on campus and away from the city.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.

I don't have a current gen one and thus no RDR 2 yet. I have two weeks in a row off coming up so I will likely pick up one and get RDR2.

I think you'll enjoy it, like the single player story is one of the best games I've ever played hands down.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    fcc i'm really excited that you're biking so much

a little jealous and a little glad its not me
    I love it!
    I'm not a pro biker or anything. I literally just commute to work and run errands by bike. But I feel really good and it gives me lots of energy and a feeling of control over my commute. Its the best.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    That's the thing, "disruption" is an ideology about rapid change with little preparation. That's the explicit motto, right--move fast and break stuff.

I agree that institutions should be audited and constantly pushed to reform and improve, but that's a process that demands rigour, research, expertise, familiarity, cost/benefit analysis, etc. It's a lengthy, neverending process, and trying to shortcut it has nasty long-term consequences

disruption bad iteration good

sig.gif
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

All the reviews say they've improved in just about every way on what makes the game great.

You start with the booster mini-bombs now. You can get 10 of them at a time.

You can long-range attach them with the grapple.

nibXTE7.png
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »

*psyduck*
    We demonstrated that murder is bad by murdering several people and asking bystanders how they felt.

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    land fish

I bought rdr2 but the only game I play now is disgaea 5

LAunch me into the sun

All the reviews say they've improved in just about every way on what makes the game great.

I see no problems with this. I do see lots of mayhem which is good.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    The joke option

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I think, in any instance, keeping a practice because it works is inferior to figuring out why it works. As often as our institutions have encoded information that's just not available to us redesigning a system from a ground up, they can be founded upon something fundamentally inefficient as a result of circumstance or, even worse, something fundamentally unjust or otherwise in conflict with our values. Especially as our values progress, we have to be consistently auditing our institutions. We also have to make moves that will allow our institutions to keep up with new threats and competition, and without a doubt here they have recently failed quite spectacularly.

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

I've seen those but I never trust them. How does one translate a tablespoon of parsley paste to a bunch of parsley? Does it come with a conversion chart?

They do have a rough conversion on the tube but honestly, parsley isn’t exactly a fiddly strong flavor that’s easy to overdo :P

ehhhhhhhhh. I once misused a recipe that called for a bunch of parsley. It was a Blue Apron recipe that had the "bunch" already included (which was a very small bunch), so that when I redid the recipe with my own ingredients I used an actual bunch and that definitely changed the flavor up.

Yeah I wouldn’t use it for a recipe that calls for a whole bunch. Wouldn’t be economical and any portioning errors could get huge. I mostly use it when something calls for a very small amount but dried would be sad and not flavorful.

I also typically don’t buy the parsley one and stick with basil (A+++), cilantro (A), and garlic (B+, but leagues ahead of C- jarred minced).

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    YP2aDSwl.jpg

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    there is too much to do

TOO MuCH tO Do

poo
  • A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    The joke option
    there is too much to do

TOO MuCH tO Do

yeah immanentizing the eschaton is hard work

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
    emnmnme wrote: »

OH GOD NO!!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

• MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »

*psyduck*
    We demonstrated that murder is bad by murdering several people and asking bystanders how they felt.

That’s what I thought at first but actually we surveyed 30 IRB chairs on whether it’s ethical to survey IRB chairs

Anime
    politics

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    LIFTING

DAAAAAY

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Anime
    politics
    senator bernie sanders explains the end of neon genesis evangelion full 8 1/2 hours

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was careening by at warp 2

@Preacher will create the new thread
    @Preacher is backup

This discussion has been closed.