As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

FINAL FANTASY FOURTEEN: tip to toe this is an ardbert

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Hey ya'll, just realized my account is somehow still alive? Any room in the current meta for a Paladin? With absolute no skill.

Well I don't know about one with no skill, but I'd say Paladins make for the best tanks at the moment with Warriors a very close second.

I tanked uh, some versions of Titan back in the day, but was looking for a cooperative game to start playing again?

Okay, definitely have no skill as of today.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Regarding Steam, consider it as a platform like the PS4. You can play together, but it isn't interchangeable with the PC non Steam version.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    The main thing with square's site/steam is that your expansion upgrade path is locked into whichever you first purchased the ARR key on. If you bought the game before the Steam version was available, you can't buy expansions on steam and apply them to your mogstation account.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    I don't think mods or lack thereof are affecting the encounter design. If you disagree, consider ultimate fights, or even Hello World

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Hello world is just a puzzle to solve. It’s execution and what each mechanic does is pretty straight forward

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    0rqdfctozqcj.png

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Looks like a mechanic you do a consistent way, without guesses or tricks.

No matter how many things are happening at once, I'd argue that makes it relatively easy. Any group can grind their way through a mechanic like that.

• Options
    Are there major mechanics in wow or w/e that straight up require guessing?

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options

Guessing was the wrong word. I meant unpredictable hiccups, where you have to make snap judgement calls and one person making the wrong call is a wipe.

Hello World looks like it's just "What's your job? Okay, do this, then this, then this."

• Options
    Kamar wrote: »

Guessing was the wrong word. I meant unpredictable hiccups, where you have to make snap judgement calls and one person making the wrong call is a wipe.

Hello World looks like it's just "What's your job? Okay, do this, then this, then this."

I mean... That doesn't sound different at all honestly. Either its totally random or there are a set of events that can happen that have answers

the guide I posted was a specific strategy and the image was made by my static, there are other ways to handle it and there is randomness within your role about what you'll have to deal with

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    All mechanics in this game are consistent. If there's any unpredictability it's just the order of the mechanics. THere's never somethign spawning in a random place or at a random time to react to.

Every boss fight is just "do the song and dance until he dies or enrages"

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    All mechanics in this game are consistent. If there's any unpredictability it's just the order of the mechanics. THere's never somethign spawning in a random place or at a random time to react to.

All the mechanics are consistent, but where the server sees you when the mechanic goes off is often a coin flip. If I had a gil for everytime my group died to a mechanic you have to pass between party members, I could buy every plot on the data center.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    McMoogle wrote: »

All the mechanics are consistent, but where the server sees you when the mechanic goes off is often a coin flip. If I had a gil for everytime my group died to a mechanic you have to pass between party members, I could buy every plot on the data center.

yea. always budget a second to stand on top of each other :(.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    That graphic makes me glad I don't raid.

• Options
    it's the hardest mechanic from the hardest fight this raid tier. It's gonna be nonsense.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    it's the hardest mechanic from the hardest fight this raid tier. It's gonna be nonsense.

I'm assuming that's from the hard mode version too?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I rather enjoy FFXIV's implementation of Raids. Mainly because they respect my time I guess. Like, unless you are on the cutting edge of content most of XIV's Raid stuff isn't going to take that long. Hell, in some cases it can be faster than a normal dungeon. And again unless you are on the cutting edge most of it is fairly PUB friendly.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Polaritie wrote: »

I'm assuming that's from the hard mode version too?

You're correct. The pattern this time has been that the final fight of normal Omega serves as the first half instead of being the entire encounter in Savage (Exdeath->Neo Exdeath, Kefka->God Kefka, Omega M+F->whatever the hell you call that Omega).

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

No, just awareness and quick reaction and tanks doing proper placement/swapping

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

Onyxia's deep breath.

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »

so like this game

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Another thing for people's resource list:

The FFXIV Content Checklist. Google Docs mirror. A checklist of pretty much all content in the game for the completionists here.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular

so like this game

I think WoW feels more chaotic because there's no well defined mechanic indicators. DBM sets up timers for everything though so there's not any real guesswork either. It's all pretty similar, though I will say WoW feels like it's more flexible with fight types. More willing to be like "oh hey, here's something kind of strange!" like the train fight in BRF, for example. But even there the first thing that was made was a train timer so. FFXIV is starting to think outside of their normal encounter design, especially for like Ultimate fights, and that's great!

Overall FFXIV's fights end up feeling tighter because that's the way the game is designed. Plus you're not trying to herd 20 people for the "hardest" content so I feel like that actually helps a lot too.

I mean, I kinda like the raid setup of WoW being large zones. FFXIV 24 mans kind of do this. On the other hand, I've been raiding in WoW this tier and I'm absolutely sick of trash so I'd probably agree with someone that FFXIV's setup is objectively better. Whoever decided on the Zul trash, ugh.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i want live letter

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Kyanilis wrote: »

so like this game

I think WoW feels more chaotic because there's no well defined mechanic indicators. DBM sets up timers for everything though so there's not any real guesswork either. It's all pretty similar, though I will say WoW feels like it's more flexible with fight types. More willing to be like "oh hey, here's something kind of strange!" like the train fight in BRF, for example. But even there the first thing that was made was a train timer so. FFXIV is starting to think outside of their normal encounter design, especially for like Ultimate fights, and that's great!

Overall FFXIV's fights end up feeling tighter because that's the way the game is designed. Plus you're not trying to herd 20 people for the "hardest" content so I feel like that actually helps a lot too.

I mean, I kinda like the raid setup of WoW being large zones. FFXIV 24 mans kind of do this. On the other hand, I've been raiding in WoW this tier and I'm absolutely sick of trash so I'd probably agree with someone that FFXIV's setup is objectively better. Whoever decided on the Zul trash, ugh.

XIV tried the more dungeony feel for its raids at the start (see Turn 1-5, containing a mini boss in Turn 1, a multi type boss in Turn 2, no boss in 3 just trash, a gauntlet in Turn 4, and then Twintania in turn 5).

They dropped the no boss fights after the first tier because they were kinda dumb, but I get why they were there. Nowadays, the game just feels like...well I just choose a fight, Queue it and do it. There's not anything else I interact with, and that's unfortunate. At least the first tier of raid felt like you were exploring into somewhere.

The Stormblood raids decided to just make it a tournament arc, and put the exploration type aspect into a solo trial at the start. THat was a decent idea. I don't know if I think it's the best idea, but it was a decent one for sure.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    I've raided almost exclusively in FFXIV for years now, but if I could uproot my raid team and take it to WoW, even a trash fire xpac like BFA, I probably would. Despite liking FFXIV better in most other aspects.

I really don't like the 'queue up to fight a random enemy that could be trash for all the lore it has in a round or square arena' thing. Alliance raids are much better designed, but aren't designed to be challenging. The first Coil was a lot better, too.

The Stormblood 8-man content literally being 'A computer designed raid bosses for you to progress through' is especially bad.

edit: To be fair, a big part of my 'prefer to raid in WoW' thing is actually 'I like more and shorter boss fights'. Which is a preference thing more than any sort of proper complaint about the design, I guess.

Kamar on
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    The trash for Omega was fought during the solo instances leading up to the boss fights.

Trash is sometimes used to help tell the story in the dungeon but generally it's just padding or a mostly unsuccessful attempt at giving you a small preview of the upcoming boss' mechanics.

Yukira on
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    I've raided almost exclusively in FFXIV for years now, but if I could uproot my raid team and take it to WoW, even a trash fire xpac like BFA, I probably would. Despite liking FFXIV better in most other aspects.

I really don't like the 'queue up to fight a random enemy that could be trash for all the lore it has in a round or square arena' thing. Alliance raids are much better designed, but aren't designed to be challenging. The first Coil was a lot better, too.

The Stormblood 8-man content literally being 'A computer designed raid bosses for you to progress through' is especially bad.

edit: To be fair, a big part of my 'prefer to raid in WoW' thing is actually 'I like more and shorter boss fights'. Which is a preference thing more than any sort of proper complaint about the design, I guess.

The biggest issue I had with WoW Raids and even dungeons really (only playing up through WotLK) was that they were too large to completely do effectively. Everyone needed to be on the same page as far as what bosses needed to be killed or what objective needed to be completed. FFXIV fixed that for me by not giving you the option and having everything be linear. I'm not saying i enjoy fighting the same guy for weeks on end, but at least its simpler than having to remember all the different paths and boss combinations. However, I can understand how other people would enjoy that.

Lore-wise, yeah, everything since FCoB has been steadily more disappointing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The 24-man raids are better in their surrounding lore, imo. Also, Alex had fun stuff going too.

• Options

The biggest issue I had with WoW Raids and even dungeons really (only playing up through WotLK) was that they were too large to completely do effectively. Everyone needed to be on the same page as far as what bosses needed to be killed or what objective needed to be completed. FFXIV fixed that for me by not giving you the option and having everything be linear. I'm not saying i enjoy fighting the same guy for weeks on end, but at least its simpler than having to remember all the different paths and boss combinations. However, I can understand how other people would enjoy that.

At least the boss fights in Stormblood have been solid choices for fights. Alte Roite (bad), Giant eye of doom (bad), Halicanarsis, Ex Death (good), Doom Train, Chardanook, Guardian, Kefka, Chaos, Midgardsormr, Omega (3 times kinda sorta). These are 10/12 solid choices for bosses that feel like bosses.

Alexander's bosses were not great choices mostly. (I did like Midas's set up though).

• Options
    edited December 2018

At least the boss fights in Stormblood have been solid choices for fights. Alte Roite (bad), Giant eye of doom (bad), Halicanarsis, Ex Death (good), Doom Train, Chardanook, Guardian, Kefka, Chaos, Midgardsormr, Omega (3 times kinda sorta). These are 10/12 solid choices for bosses that feel like bosses.

Alexander's bosses were not great choices mostly. (I did like Midas's set up though).

Yeah, while I sort of hate how much of a handwave the setup is to let them pick whatever as bosses, at least it means Stormblood has bosses as bosses. And not just 'slightly larger monster/robot'.

Kamar on
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular

I stopped playing/raiding just before Cataclysm came out, and my biggest complaint about WoW raids was the sheer amount of trash between boss fights. In many cases some trash pulls were pretty much mini-bosses. When I raided in SWTOR and FFXIV the lack or lower amount of trash was a welcome change.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular

I've been raiding in BFA and oh boy is the trash what ruins it for me. To be honest, I would also like more boss fights in FFXIV and some are getting quite a bit longer so there's that too. I'm not sure I have any real interest in Ultimate fights because of their sheer length. But when clearing up to a boss takes possibly more time than fighting the boss (especially once you have it down) it's just...well, obnoxious. If I could have Uldir with maybe like 1/10th of the trash it has I would be all for it. Honestly, that might even be a little too much still. I can't overstate how stupid I think the trash is. I think having more space to explore adds a lot to lore though and yeah, I appreciated Coil more because of it I think.

The opposite side of this, though, is that while WoW has more fights it tends to have a few in each raid that aren't all that complex. It's not really uncommon for only the last 4-5 or so bosses to be at the level that FFXIV Savage tends to be at anyway. I feel like the Alliance raids kind of make up for the "easier" ones since they still tend to be fairly challenging and engaging but definitely easier to get through for the wide range of players. So I'm actually kind of torn, but of course I'd always want "more".

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Just got my encyclopedia eorzea vol 2. Lots of cool stuff, and it's not just focused on stormblood. There's a section on the alphabet, weapons and armor, a page each on every dungeon in the game up to swallow's compass. Some stuff on Ivalice, too. Turns out Viera comprise 5% of the population of Rabanastre.

• Options
    I personally prefer the FFXIV execution style fights rather than the chaotic carry certain people over the finish line style raids in WoW that tend to be mechanically simpler for most fights. For example, Garrosh in Siege of Ogrimmar had a fun mechanic where a small sha gets spawned and you need to kill it away from other small sha, or they combine and become powerful. My guild/raid group at the time got stuck on that part for several weeks because we had people incapable of not just smashing all their AoE moves at once and trying to blow everything up, or a healer incapable of standing where they had been assigned. These people weren't bad player fundamentally, they were able to execute their rotation and put up the numbers. They just never had had to worry about positioning or timing and had always been carried when that mattered (we ended up mitigating these people's hang ups via the use of lifegrip and assigning the mage/shaman certain positions where they would not be able to hit multiple targets.) However, we were never able to do Heroic (now Mythic) Immerseus, because that relied on people dropping puddles and adds in a set pattern and paying attention to their positioning.

FFXIV on the other hand, makes it clear in both the dungeons and the raids that positioning is key right from Titan onward. It also has the very useful feedback of the vulnerability stacks (fail debuff) that in some fights also tank the dps of the afflicted person. It helps make it clear to the individual that they messed up (which was often not clear in WoW if you weren't looking at the logs or were distracted by other parts of doing your job). I think some of our problem players in our raid group who had a hard time with mechanics in WoW would have done much better had WoW had the uniform raid mechanic graphical cues, the fail debuff to indicate when a mechanic was failed, and had not been able to just brute force their way through the execution portion of the fight (or make 1-2 people responsible for all the execution).

Part of the difference is also the reliance on DBM or similar addons in WoW. This allows many people to turn their brains off and just react to the DBM cues instead of learning the fight and thinking in advance as to how they will handle the mechanics. I know that things work differently at the higher end, but the prevalence of the addon (and the need for something like them to track random timers so you know when certain boss abilities are off cooldown) means that many players never are taught good habits in how to approach a fight proactively rather than reacting to the addon. There's a number of mechanics in the normal mode Omega fights that would never be done in WoW LFR, but manage to be done with minimal problems after the first week or two in FFXIV dutyfinder.

• Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    Just got my encyclopedia eorzea vol 2. Lots of cool stuff, and it's not just focused on stormblood. There's a section on the alphabet, weapons and armor, a page each on every dungeon in the game up to swallow's compass. Some stuff on Ivalice, too. Turns out Viera comprise 5% of the population of Rabanastre.

And soon they'll be 30% of adventurers!

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    It's a little thing, but if you wanted to know how the Eighty Sins of Sasamo got its name, that story is in the encyclopedia 2.

And there's a pic of Galuf Baldesion, who I didn't remember being in the game, but I guess it has something to do with Eureka, so that's a shame. Maybe I'll be able to watch the cutscenes or something.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    trying to check in and do fox/ixion fates now is hell

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    I wonder how many Viera are gonna ride around on Ixion while a lalafel swoons over them.

This discussion has been closed.