As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Orville] is finally out of dry dock - season 3 is on!

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    Mc zany wrote: »
    I don't want to derail, but what's the "Seth McFarlane" thing?

Groupthink that his shows are bad.

I don’t have to have an opinion on whether his other shows are good or bad to know that I, personally, just don’t like them.

Totes. I gave up on Family guy like seven seasons ago. I still like American Dad, never watched Cleveland.

Orville is really good.

Cleveland was probably the most consistent of the three, nothing as good as their best but not as bad as either one can get either, and it didn't outlive it's idea list.

Disclaimer: I say that about Star Trek Enterprise. It is not necessarily a compliment.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    I still like all those shows. I just don't care enough to watch anymore

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    This is disappointing, Alara was one of my favourites on the show.

https://trekmovie.com/2018/06/26/orville-update-headed-to-sdcc-season-2-will-have-fewer-commercials-and-maybe-less-halston-sage/
    One person who has not been spotted recently on set in Los Angeles is actress Halston Sage, who played Alara in the first season of The Orville. She did show up for the PaleyFest panel in March and at the Fox upfronts in May, along with other members of The Orville cast. However, earlier this month it was announced she had joined the cast of the Netflix romantic comedy film The Last Summer, which has been in production in the Midwest over the last month.

halston-sage-beauty-2.jpg

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

https://trekmovie.com/2018/06/26/orville-update-headed-to-sdcc-season-2-will-have-fewer-commercials-and-maybe-less-halston-sage/
    One person who has not been spotted recently on set in Los Angeles is actress Halston Sage, who played Alara in the first season of The Orville. She did show up for the PaleyFest panel in March and at the Fox upfronts in May, along with other members of The Orville cast. However, earlier this month it was announced she had joined the cast of the Netflix romantic comedy film The Last Summer, which has been in production in the Midwest over the last month.

That reads like she's going to maybe miss a few episodes for a movie not that she bowed out of the show entirely though?

I can't imagine someone bowing out of an ongoing TV show where they're a main character to do a Netflix romcom.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Its been rumored Seth and Halston had a thing it ended badly and he wrote her out per her request

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Damn. Alara was one of my favourites too. Halston was great as her.

Jazz on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    So the TNG homage show is gonna have to replace their security/tac officer in the second set of a dozen or so episodes?

Hmm🤔

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Its possible she was written out just to do the movie and will come back

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

That reads like she's going to maybe miss a few episodes for a movie not that she bowed out of the show entirely though?

I can't imagine someone bowing out of an ongoing TV show where they're a main character to do a Netflix romcom.

She'll be missed. She's improved tremendously from her days on Crisis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbwVvKsSCLc&frags=pl%2Cwn

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Let's just hope there's not a tar Monster episode.

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

I really hope there is!

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Just saw a commercial for new season starting on December 30th.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Cormac wrote: »
    Just saw a commercial for new season starting on December 30th.

YES!

I am ready for more Orville.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    jammu wrote: »
    DanHibiki wrote: »

I really hope there is!

I hope she punches the monster

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    So...are we gonna get another super strong security officer? That was a cool hook.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Yeah. She was handy for popping doors. It actually made breaking into things more plausible.

• Options
    It would have been a neat concept if it was hard for her to get a haircut because she has a high density.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    It would have been a neat concept if it was hard for her to get a haircut because she has a high density.

I like that they have her survive getting shot because of her species, but I was also annoyed that the uniforms of the future follow Federation tradition by being made of a cotton-poly blend instead, I dunno, something tough.

Seriously, they have a room for just zapping up new clothing and whatnot. Why would anybody not have their uniform made out of some sort of high-tech cut-and-burn-and-impact-resistance carbon filament or something like that, instead of flammable, flimsy cotton?

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

I like that they have her survive getting shot because of her species, but I was also annoyed that the uniforms of the future follow Federation tradition by being made of a cotton-poly blend instead, I dunno, something tough.

Seriously, they have a room for just zapping up new clothing and whatnot. Why would anybody not have their uniform made out of some sort of high-tech cut-and-burn-and-impact-resistance carbon filament or something like that, instead of flammable, flimsy cotton?

When on away missions, at the very least.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

When on away missions, at the very least.

I'd wear bulletproof uniforms just to get lunch. Never know when one of those not-replicators is going to go crazy and spray shards of death-plastic and murder-sparks. Just seems like such an obvious thing to wear on a ship bursting at the seams with potential energy. Make that ship work for the kills by forcing it to go for headshots or something.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Hello friends, we come in peace.

Don't mind the power armor...

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Just greet everyone with your gun-ports open. Surely they would interpret that not as a sign of force, but as a symbol that you come in peace and have nothing to hide. What's the worst that could happen?

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Decius wrote: »
    Just greet everyone with your gun-ports open. Surely they would interpret that not as a sign of force, but as a symbol that you come in peace and have nothing to hide. What's the worst that could happen?

The Ferengi surrendered by opening all their offensive points because this also left their reactor vulnerable to a direct hit, and they just expected everybody in the galaxy to see the glass and not the cannon.

Ferengi are not well liked.

Hevach on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Decius wrote: »

What a bone-head move, am I right?

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    I always found the historical insight offered by that tradition quite interesting and revealing for the Minbarri. Apparently, at some time in their past they were a bunch of duplicitous and backstabbing group that could only trust each other when everyone could keep their eyes on the weapons. Like, the importance of knowing where all the weapons were located was higher in priority than the fact that essentially brandishing the weapons makes them easier and faster to use. That just speaks to the frequency with which dirty tricks by someone pretending to be defenseless/unarmed got used. This may actually have played into why they got so worked up and upset for Sheridan sending a distress call to lure the Minbarri into coming back to kill the survivors and detonating several nuclear mines when they got close. The taboo element wasn't the killing defenseless survivors, but was the pretending to be unarmed/weak and using that to trick the Minbarri into attacking. Much like how you'd hide your gunports and then open up and shoot them when their guard was down.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    I always found the historical insight offered by that tradition quite interesting and revealing for the Minbarri. Apparently, at some time in their past they were a bunch of duplicitous and backstabbing group that could only trust each other when everyone could keep their eyes on the weapons. Like, the importance of knowing where all the weapons were located was higher in priority than the fact that essentially brandishing the weapons makes them easier and faster to use. That just speaks to the frequency with which dirty tricks by someone pretending to be defenseless/unarmed got used. This may actually have played into why they got so worked up and upset for Sheridan sending a distress call to lure the Minbarri into coming back to kill the survivors and detonating several nuclear mines when they got close. The taboo element wasn't the killing defenseless survivors, but was the pretending to be unarmed/weak and using that to trick the Minbarri into attacking. Much like how you'd hide your gunports and then open up and shoot them when their guard was down.

It's interesting when you consider that the go-to weapon that we see in use by the Minbarri is the collapsible pike, a 5 foot long staff that can collapse to something easily palmed that looks almost completely innocuous.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Seriously if I were in Star Trek/Orville world I'd walk around with a fucking personal shield activated, just burning holes in the floor as I strolled along.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    That warm, fuzzy feeling you get when you slip back into a favourite fictional* spaceship again after waiting between seasons/games...

Seriously, it felt almost like playing Mass Effect 2 for the first time again. Being back on the Orville after all this time, like being back on the Normandy... only without that messy Collectors business.

I'm glad it's back and I loved this episode. Low-key, character driven, just the ticket. And Alara's dress. Wow.

* - alternatively: just hasn't happened yet. Right? Right?

Jazz on
  • Options
    I would have preferred they just dropped the Mercer Kelly stuff and he just accepted she'd moved on. Everything else was fine

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    "Need more zippers!".

Fun little episode and were getting next one thursday.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    jammu wrote: »
    "Need more zippers!".

Fun little episode and were getting next one thursday.

While Season 2 Episode 1 didn't have any strong universe building or setup a season-long conflight this episode was one of the most human sci-fi tv episodes I think I've ever seen.

I honestly felt several pangs of emotion both highs and low (lows from Captain Mercer and Lt. AlaraKitan. highes from Dr. Claire and Isaac) that I did not expect the show to deliver as unexpectedly and swiftly as it did.

If this is the level of writing, direction, and acting as we might hope to expect from the rest of the season; this will handily hold the show in my #3 spot of recommended "Star Trek" series. If the writing and performances even moderately exceed my expectations from this episode that it will be a strong contender and could overtake TNG as #2 of a a ranking of Star Trek series.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I thought it was nice to see the payoff of the brick joke set up in the first episode.

That may just be me though.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    So... anyone wanting to take the odds that the new dark matter cartographer is...
    Seriously, this could be a massive spoiler if I'm right.
    Last warning!
    ... the Krill teacher from the episode where Mercer and Gordon go undercover to get the Krill bible?

Specifically after she breaks Gordon's heart (not too far away, based on the end of the last episode), and then Mercer's, when the betrayal happens.

Cause it's the same actress, it makes a logical sense (it's a reversal of the undercover, and she did seem pretty vengeful), and if you aren't aware it's the same actress, could be a good twist.

• Options
    They might do some weird dark matter stuff.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    oh my god Isaac teaching the Doctor's kid to play piano is amazing

I love Isaac so much

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Is that George Constanza as that bar alien?

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Is that George Constanza as that bar alien?

Yep. I didn't realize it at first, but knew he was in the episode (so was watching for it), and realized it was him at the end.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I just recognized the voice immediately.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Costanza running 10 forward as a dinosaur bartender? Yes...yes, please.

I'm excited to see them burn their premiere on a character episode - shows restraint with what is presumably a teensy tinesy FX budget for the season. This is such a weird Frankenstein of a show - it really is a family sitcom set in space with lasers and foam masked aliens, and it utterly, inexplicably works.

The first thing I thought when they introduced the new character is that Seth McFarlane a) has a type and b) may want to stop dating at the office, but everything is gross rumor, so why sully it all with speculation.

All things considered, it is a welcome return for The Orville.

• Options
    The aliens are fancier than Star Trek.