As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fighting Games] As conceived in 2016 by Twitter operators

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    Sounds like I should pick up armor king and not marduk

Didn't know he drew the short straw this time

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/o_KQQCXqjWE

uh, don't let Armor King hit you because even with day 1 combos his damage is definitely on the higher end

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular

If there is anything that can be learned from Tekken, it’s that tier lists are TRASH.

• DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    *points at TWT champion, Panda*

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Counterpoint:

cNXW1CQ.jpg

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/o_KQQCXqjWE

uh, don't let Armor King hit you because even with day 1 combos his damage is definitely on the higher end

I can attest to this.

I am not very good, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttJHJiTmfCQ&t=645s

Armor King fights start at 10:45, and even a cursory hit just seems obscene and very easy to capitalize on.

• KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Knob wrote: »
    Armor King is gonna be ridiculous. He was already crazy good in T6 and TTT2 and they kept his legacy tools, gave him some new ones, and mega amplified his damage output on top. The only thing I can find that is missing is his free b+1,2 after the pickup groundthrow at the wall.

Marduk isn't gonna be as dominant. He wasn't burning up the charts back in the day, and he's mostly the same. The major change is that he's physically smaller and has tinier legs. He lost a lot of range on key buttons, and didn't get much in return.

Does being smaller protect him from higher damage combos that don't work on more normal-sized characters? Or is he still big enough for that to still be a thing?

Also a thing I wonder about in Rangchu's game during TWT finals was that Qudans especially had a tough time dealing with Hunting Bear Stance. I'm pretty sure bears can't block while in Hunting Bear Stance, so what stops people from just mindlessly guessing between hopkick and low parry? Is it that Devil Jin's version of the hopkick isn't the generic 15F launcher hopkick, so it's more vulnerable to being hit by one of the launcher options from HBS?

Marduk used to be bigger, but never quite bears/jack size. He takes combos like an average character.

Bears can't technically block from HBS, but they can cancel it nearly instantly and block from there. So if a bear wants to bait and block something as part of the stance mixup, they totally can.

If there is anything that can be learned from Tekken, it’s that tier lists are TRASH.

I'm not saying Marduk is useless, I'm playing him myself. However, between him being not super popular, historically mid tier, and slightly weaker than previous incarnations, you're not going to see him much. You're going to see a metric fuckload of high level AKs. There's only gonna be a couple Marduks.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    so I know plenty of y'all are Smash-apathetic but I think there's one thing of relevance to all fighting game players with this game

this game has maybe the best CPU players I've ever seen, it feels like a landmark in AI design for a fighting game

they look and feel like human players in a way that is just downright spooky

6F32U1X.png
    Dusted off Tekken for the first time in a long while

goddamn Katarina is super super fun and I did not know that

6F32U1X.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    The new Smash actually looks interesting to me. There are a lot of system changes that seem to change gameplay in a fundamental way.

But I don't have a Switch yet and won't for a while with the rumors of a new version on the horizon.

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    The new Smash actually looks interesting to me. There are a lot of system changes that seem to change gameplay in a fundamental way.

But I don't have a Switch yet and won't for a while with the rumors of a new version on the horizon.

Is there a video of the new mechanics? I haven't been keeping up with Smash in years

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
    templewulf wrote: »

Is there a video of the new mechanics? I haven't been keeping up with Smash in years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akohTFyGu88
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-kQWJrjRV4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fccgHnBQ0YM

there is if you're willing to watch about 2 hours worth of video

6F32U1X.png
    edited December 2018
    Armor King is gonna be ridiculous. He was already crazy good in T6 and TTT2 and they kept his legacy tools, gave him some new ones, and mega amplified his damage output on top. The only thing I can find that is missing is his free b+1,2 after the pickup groundthrow at the wall.

Marduk isn't gonna be as dominant. He wasn't burning up the charts back in the day, and he's mostly the same. The major change is that he's physically smaller and has tinier legs. He lost a lot of range on key buttons, and didn't get much in return.

Does being smaller protect him from higher damage combos that don't work on more normal-sized characters? Or is he still big enough for that to still be a thing?

Also a thing I wonder about in Rangchu's game during TWT finals was that Qudans especially had a tough time dealing with Hunting Bear Stance. I'm pretty sure bears can't block while in Hunting Bear Stance, so what stops people from just mindlessly guessing between hopkick and low parry? Is it that Devil Jin's version of the hopkick isn't the generic 15F launcher hopkick, so it's more vulnerable to being hit by one of the launcher options from HBS?

Marduk used to be bigger, but never quite bears/jack size. He takes combos like an average character.

Bears can't technically block from HBS, but they can cancel it nearly instantly and block from there. So if a bear wants to bait and block something as part of the stance mixup, they totally can.

I'm not saying Marduk is useless, I'm playing him myself. However, between him being not super popular, historically mid tier, and slightly weaker than previous incarnations, you're not going to see him much. You're going to see a metric fuckload of high level AKs. There's only gonna be a couple Marduks.

@Knob tell the truth you just want Marduk to be Lili in tournaments.

And it might just happen

Transporter on
    I dont know what that means

Lili=Pools Trap. She’s played, but not overwhelmingly so, but more importantly she has shenanigans, and if no one is ready for her shenanigans she’s an auto Top 8.

I think Marduk’s gonna be similar in that regard.

I think I would have a much easier time playing Smash if it had a control option where running was done by holding a button like in Mario, dashes were done by double-tap. Even if it meant losing granularity of air control and DI, I'm just so awful at dealing with the analogue control scheme (specifically how dashing and smashing is triggered by suddenly swinging the stick) of Smash in spite of having played it casually with friends for ages. I think I'm just too set in how I played traditional platformers along with traditional fighting games, in spite of the fact that I love the analogue stick for 3D movement in any 3D game.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I think I would have a much easier time playing Smash if it had a control option where running was done by holding a button like in Mario, dashes were done by double-tap. Even if it meant losing granularity of air control and DI, I'm just so awful at dealing with the analogue control scheme (specifically how dashing and smashing is triggered by suddenly swinging the stick) of Smash in spite of having played it casually with friends for ages. I think I'm just too set in how I played traditional platformers along with traditional fighting games, in spite of the fact that I love the analogue stick for 3D movement in any 3D game.

FVn4lLn.jpg

Brolo wrote: »

FVn4lLn.jpg

Will new smash have control options like Rivals of Aether? E.g. full tilt + attack just results in tilt attacks, smash gets its own button.

That's part of why I like Rivals a lot but keep bouncing off of smash

• PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular

If you get a chance, give Rivals of Aether a try. They solved it by giving you the option to use different buttons for your tilts and smashes... and it’s something I hope they’ll add the SmashUlt at some point.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Iirc, smash 4 let you set the second stick to do tilts on press (no buttons)?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    I think tilts on the second stick is banned in 48 of the states, and restricted in the last 2.

Polaritie wrote: »

Can you make it so that stick + attack doesn't do a smash?

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    So why are people saying Gigas is dead(er) now that Marduk is out?

Dragkonias on
    So why are people saying Gigas is dead(er) now that Marduk is out?

Because since Gigas has a couple of Marduk's moves, people think Gigas and Marduk obviously play the same.

Same reason people are trying to say King is dead since AK is so good, as if they have anything remotely to do with each other in terms of playstyle.

Kuma is dead because Panda is the world champion.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018

Not in smash 4, or brawl, and I don't expect that to change

You can make the c-stick a tilt stick or a smash stick but im pretty sure you cant take smashes or tilts off the main stick

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
    That problem is solved by hitting the control stick like you're trying to break it whenever you wanna do a smash attack

it's stronger that way, I swear

6F32U1X.png
    Kwoaru wrote: »

Not in smash 4, or brawl, and I don't expect that to change

You can make the c-stick a tilt stick or a smash stick but im pretty sure you cant take smashes or tilts off the main stick

Man, what are their problems with just putting things on buttons? I'm hoping they'll have more adaptable control schemes on the pro controller

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Man, I need to remember how to deal with all of Marduk’s dumb bullshit.

He was so much fun back in the day I might pick him up again.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Ok

I like siegfried

• fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    me too!!!!!!

sieggy has def my jam

aga op af

J3qcnBP.png
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    My friend came over and we couldn't get SFV to work with twos ticks so I loaded up SFIV instead.

God I miss Dudley vs Makoto.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
    Uriel wrote: »
    Ok

I like siegfried

Nice! We've got a small Sieg army in here.

Let me know if you run into any trouble with him. His slow moveset can make it hard on defense, but there are a few tricks to dealing with that.

Yeah templewulf

Maybe we can do some sets tonight or tomorrow and you can show some sieg stuff.

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    crouch throw people for ring outs

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    I like to ring people out with 4b

Uriel wrote: »
    I like to ring people out with 4b

4B / 1A+G is the only mix-up you need

edited December 2018
    https://youtu.be/tC6wX-dLtyk

Day 1 Marduk with no rage and no walls/floorbreaks sees:
    70 damage from d/f+1
    75 damage from f,f+1+2 throw
    80 damage from CH uf+3
    87 (!!!) damage from CH b+2

So the right answer is to just let Marduk score normal hits on you or something

l_g on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Not that anyone else is watching the game awards, but sonic fox just won esports player of the year. And he is making his acceptance speech in full fox uniform.

And he ended his speach with 'I'm super gay.'

Nicely done, sonic fox.

edited December 2018

MK11 was just announced, and it’s out this April

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
This discussion has been closed.