As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Burgerrrrrr I mean [Bad Food] Thread

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I'm confused about air fryers. Your just baking it right?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »

An airfryer is basically a tiny convection oven

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Yup. It's the same basic idea as baking, using hot air to heat up food, but the small chamber and the convection fans mean that you can get the food up to the desired temperature much more quickly. So if you brush the food with oil, you can get the crispy outside usually associated with frying without overcooking the middle, which is what prevents you from frying chicken in your oven.

You'd never mistake food made in an air fryer for the deep-fried original, but it's not a bad facsimile if you find the right recipes.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I forgot how strong French press coffee can be even with a 1:16 ratio of coffee:water

To be fair I have it 4 minutes to steep plus a ten second stir to bloom. Plus my water might have been a little hot still. Maybe 205f?

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Exactly; I think you want around 202F, with 4 min seep.

I usually go with 10g of grounds per cup (6oz), which is on the stronger end.

This has a neat calculator: https://handground.com/french-press-coffee-to-water-ratio-calculator

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Bad food thread, if you enjoy the delicious flame broiled taste of a Whopper and love corporate pettiness, have I got a deal for you!

Burger King is running a promo where if you place a mobile order while standing within 600 feet of a McDonald's, you can get a Whopper for 1 cent.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Bad food thread, if you enjoy the delicious flame broiled taste of a Whopper and love corporate pettiness, have I got a deal for you!

Burger King is running a promo where if you place a mobile order while standing within 600 feet of a McDonald's, you can get a Whopper for 1 cent.

HELLO THIS IS RELEVANT TO MY INTERESTS

I'M A FLAME BROILED BOY

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Their fucking app never works or Id be all over this

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

This is awesome, but it only works once.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I made latkes last night, partially because hanukkah but I'm not jewish so the actual reason is because latkes are fuckin' tasty

I've only had limited success with them before but last night they were great

Shorty on
  • Options
    Everyone, Jewish or not, should eat latkes.

The question is this: applesauce, sour cream, or neither? There's no wrong answer, although I'm personally partial to applesauce.

• Options
    I usually just put sour cream on mine but last night I tried them with both and it was revelatory

• Options
    I've never done both, but it sounds really good

...I gotta try that

• Options
    edited December 2018
    I was surprised at how well they worked together, it was a big deal

oh and the thing that made them really good was mainly a technique thing

in the past I tried to sort of shape them into a flat pancake shape by hand, but last night I just made balls and squished them flat in the pan

A+ method, always do this

Shorty on
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Oh dang, it's like a smashburger but with latkes

That is an A+ idea indeed

Butler For Life #1 on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    DtkvIJqWsAIsOnu.jpg

DtkvI3jXQAA0U-S.jpg

wait you don't even bake these
    what the fuck kind of "cookie" is this

The question is this: applesauce, sour cream, or neither? There's no wrong answer, although I'm personally partial to applesauce.

applesauce for me

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Those are Gom Jabbar cookies, obviously.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    No bake cookies are good

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    No! Bake cookies! Are good.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »

An airfryer is basically a tiny convection oven

I feel if it was a vacuum and with a little heat it would be far cooler to cook with but I know that is far more dangerous since it's easy to screw up

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Raw cookie dough is good though

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

It says here you work on commission.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Butter Cooking thread I haven't baked in a few years because our oven at the last place was garbage.

I haven't made Snickerdoodles in longer because I use to only make/eat them when I was depressed and I haven't been that depressed in a hot minute. However I promised my wife I would make her some since shes never tried them but heard from many of my friends/family how great they are.

I've dusted off my recipe and will be baking this weekend.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Butter Cooking thread

Gentlemen, we have a new name.

azith28 on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Look my cookies have an...unhealthy amount of butter in them.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I was surprised at how well they worked together, it was a big deal

oh and the thing that made them really good was mainly a technique thing

in the past I tried to sort of shape them into a flat pancake shape by hand, but last night I just made balls and squished them flat in the pan

A+ method, always do this

My wife and I are goyish as they come, but we do a Hanukkah-themed Thanksgiving dinner every few years for the hell of it, mainly because I'll use any excuse to cook up a corned beef brisket. We've got an 80+ year old latke recipe from the grandmother of one of the lawyers at the firm where my wife works which specifically calls out the "flatten in the frying pan" technique. So yes, A+ method endorsed by multiple generations of Jewish grandmas. Delicious latkes for everyone!

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

aka: the correct amount of butter

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Xaquin wrote: »

aka: the correct amount of butter

Look, if you ever needed proof that cookies are magical, please explain to me how something that can have up to 90% butter, a soft, meltable substance in there ingredient list, and still form a coherant round hard shape in a heated oven.

azith28 on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    DtkvIJqWsAIsOnu.jpg

DtkvI3jXQAA0U-S.jpg

For that matter, they only have 1 tsp of cinnamon, and that's the only spice there.
    How are these spice cookies if each serving only has 1/48th to 1/60th of a tsp of any kind of spice in it?

I'm just saying, Paul, you can destroy a thing, so you control the thing. Maybe you should live a little with your spice cookies.
    But don't share them with the pug. Chocolate and raisins are bad for dogs. Even space dogs in the year 10,000+.

see317 on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    It's a little late (hah!) but these beans are still really fresh and I'm in a bad mood so I made this.
    3q37wnlgz9qm.jpg

Is even better than last time. Probably because the water temperature was closer to 200 and the beans have off gassed more since the second when they were roasted

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular

You haven't even mentioned horseradish, which is a great option by itself but can also be combined with either of the first two options.

• Options

You haven't even mentioned horseradish, which is a great option by itself but can also be combined with either of the first two options.

!

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    8 Flavors Pull Apart Ball Bread (google translated)

savourypullapartrolls4.jpg

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    DtkvIJqWsAIsOnu.jpg

DtkvI3jXQAA0U-S.jpg

Monstrosities! Coconut, nuts, and raisins? Even one of those is enough to ruin any baked(or non-baked in this case) good they share a zip code with.

I'll just say it, people who put nuts in brownies should be whipped in front of the gawking crowds.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I am a longtime proponent of double-frying french fries, but I've read from a couple of sources that fries are best if you do a low-temperature fry first and then freeze them. So this week I cut up all the potatoes I would need for this batch of chili cheese fries, par-fried them, and then stuck them in the freezer.

Good god, son. These are the best french fries I've ever had. They're crispy and golden on the outside and practically creamy on the inside. I'll never fry an unfrozen french fry again.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

I wish latkes were a thing here

• Options
    you are the master of your own destiny

• Options
  • Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    I just had a buffalo chicken caesar burger that tasted like neither of those things. I guess if you want something done right you have to do it yourself.

• Options
    Ataxrxes wrote: »
    I just had a buffalo chicken caesar burger that tasted like neither of those things. I guess if you want something done right you have to do it yourself.

This is true more often than it should be.

Edinburgh curry houses, I am looking at you.

This discussion has been closed.