As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Pittsburgh At Cleveland? There Is No Dog.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »
    As a game time coach McCarthy has been middling to bad, IMO, but the packers have developed a lot of good wide outs and had a strong Oline for many years under his tenure, so presumably he gets credit for some of that.

I'm fine with the firing though. Time for a change.

He was decent enough for a while but he seems the last few years to be coasting on Aaron Rodgers being such of a beast of a QB he can call whatever and Aaron will find a way to make it work. But when Aaron was hurt he had nothing for the back up QB and his play calls are getting more and more suspect as time goes on. He is just flat getting predictable and was in a rut. I have no doubt if he goes to another team he could find success but I think the packers really did need a change.

And it can't be overstated how bad some of his tactical (like taking a FG when a TD was necessary, or vice versa, and challenging or not) and time management decisions were.

There was a running joke at one point when Andy Reid was a complete mockery in that department.

"What's the difference between Reid and McCarthy? McCarthy gets to fuck up in games of consequence."

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    There is an undercurrent out there of people unhappy with Rodgers for being unable to 'just win'.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Please Green Bay, tear yourself apart because you fired your mediocre coach midway through the season

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    As a non-Packer fan

1. Yes, Aaron Rodgers is a prima donna . This is a truth fact.
    2. No, this does not excuse the increasingly poor decisions of Mike McCarthy
    3. AR is also a generational talent and it’s stupid to waste him
    4. Who the fuck is Mork Chumpwad and why should we care what he has to say

*googles*

Apparently a tight end that played for Green Bay

*reads further down*

Also apparently a classy fellow
    On April 8, 2000 Chmura was accused of sexually assaulting the 17-year-old babysitter of his children. Chmura was tried but found not guilty of all charges.[6] Two days after being acquitted of child enticement and third-degree sexual assault, Chmura acknowledged that his behavior at a post-prom party "wasn't something a married man should do."

There is an alternate universe where Chmura didn't hang out at a prom party and he's now another garbage GOP congressman. His accuser deserves a lot of thanks, she was 17 and stood up to an NFL star.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    McCarthy is one of he few coaches you can attribute multiple important big losses to. I didn’t much notice it until that loss to the Seahawks in the playoffs that we had no business winning. And McCarthy just did everything wrong. We didn’t even do anything right (except get lucky on an onsides kick) but McCarthy could have won the game... and then didn’t. And then he could have iced the game... and then didn’t.. and then he had another chance to simply not lose the game... and then didn’t.

If I recall correctly he played prevent defense after a successful onsides kick where we only needed a field goal to win...

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    McCarthy is one of he few coaches you can attribute multiple important big losses to. I didn’t much notice it until that loss to the Seahawks in the playoffs that we had no business winning. And McCarthy just did everything wrong. We didn’t even do anything right (except get lucky on an onsides kick) but McCarthy could have won the game... and then didn’t. And then he could have iced the game... and then didn’t.. and then he had another chance to simply not lose the game... and then didn’t.

If I recall correctly he played prevent defense after a successful onsides kick where we only needed a field goal to win...

Defensive calls were from Capers though, no? Though yes, Capers worked for McCarthy and McCarthy could have called up and been like WTFBBQ?!

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    https://deadspin.com/report-brandon-browner-pleads-no-contest-to-attempted-1830860519

Man I knew Browner had a rough go of it after no longer being a seahawk but holy shit.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Aaron Rodgers has only thrown 1 int this season?

That's pretty impressive.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    Aaron Rodgers has only thrown 1 int this season?

That's pretty impressive.

It's important to note that he could have done more to be successful and not played so bad like a prima donna it got Beav fired.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I don't remember if I read it here but I'm partial to the theory that Rodgers wasn't sand bagging, he just stopped changing plays at the line and called exactly what McCarthy was trying to run.

"Really, you want to run that? Fine, let's do it"

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    knitdan wrote: »
    As a non-Packer fan

1. Yes, Aaron Rodgers is a prima donna . This is a truth fact.
    2. No, this does not excuse the increasingly poor decisions of Mike McCarthy
    3. AR is also a generational talent and it’s stupid to waste him
    4. Who the fuck is Mork Chumpwad and why should we care what he has to say

*googles*

Apparently a tight end that played for Green Bay

*reads further down*

Also apparently a classy fellow
    On April 8, 2000 Chmura was accused of sexually assaulting the 17-year-old babysitter of his children. Chmura was tried but found not guilty of all charges.[6] Two days after being acquitted of child enticement and third-degree sexual assault, Chmura acknowledged that his behavior at a post-prom party "wasn't something a married man should do."

There is an alternate universe where Chmura didn't hang out at a prom party and he's now another garbage GOP congressman. His accuser deserves a lot of thanks, she was 17 and stood up to an NFL star.

Chewey had a good shot at becoming a HoF tight end, and then the world found out he was a dirt bag that liked to hang with 16/17 year old girls in his late 20's. That was not the first time he had "hung out" with that group of students, and that young women that stood up and stopped him did the world a favor that can never be repaid.

Veevee on
  • Options
    So how bad is SUPERGENIUS Beav? I'm playing NFL Head Coach 09 again and am up against Green Bay. It's the '08 season so Rodgers isn't yet the player we know now. Rated at 79. Who is starting the game?

Joey Harrington. Rated at 70.

#firethebeav

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Final score was 41-17, Dallas. It wasn't even as close as the score suggests since both Green Bay TDs were from 60+ yard runs that happened because defender AI is sketchy as fuck and tackling is sometimes an ethereal concept.

Harrington threw three interceptions, all run back for TDs. His QB rating was 8.0.

I feel a little bad.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    I don't remember if I read it here but I'm partial to the theory that Rodgers wasn't sand bagging, he just stopped changing plays at the line and called exactly what McCarthy was trying to run.

"Really, you want to run that? Fine, let's do it"

Honestly its a good way to illustrate the point that Mccarthy is calling crappy plays by just running them as they are called in.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Broadcast maps.

CBS looks good. FOX is...somewhat odd. But since they get the late game, and two West teams are playing at home, their late game is EVERYBODY LOVES DALLAS AND BUCKMAN and what appear to be minor pockets of resistance in a 'Hitler Is Angry At Something' video. (Topical!)

After most of the season of Texas avoiding being saddled (Ha!) with Houston and NFC East games, this week really sucks. Thanks, Obama Jacksonville, for regressing to your mean so quickly.

LAR@Chicago on SNF is probably the best game. Philadelphia at Dallas has some significant playoff implications, but, Dallas and Buckman... [In fact, all California teams are playing at home making the late game situation potentially bearable.]

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Hearing from several different people over last few days that Alex Smith is having devastating complications from his broken leg surgery battling infection. Supposedly he's had multiple surgeries to try to combat infection. Chances of him playing again in real jeaopardy.
    Tweet comes from Eric Bickel (The Sports Junkies on 106.7 The Fan, Washington DC.) so I don't know how legitimate. If there's even a whiff of truth, Smith's career is 100% done. He'll be lucky not to lose part of the leg.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I heard it on WTOP today, too.

• Options
    That was a hell of a thing.

• Options
    Jacksonville sucks.

• Options
    Jacksonville sucks.

I really thought Cody Kessler was going to turn thinAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :rotate:

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    You’re doing the lords work Santa

Watching this game so nobody else has to

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Derrick Henry made it worth watching.

Otherwise, I was going to play more Head Coach 09 and find out what happens to the Green Bay coach who was placed on the hot seat. How will it end?

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Man, that 99 yard TD run yesterday was something else.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    This happened:

Gruden: “Kaepernick has been discussed for sure...but we’ll probably go a different direction.” Points to the style of offense Kaepernick would need to play in as difficult on the short week to install.
    Followed up with Gruden on Kaep on if the conversation around him was different than any other QB: “No. Not really. It really is about evaluating the skillset. If it was week 1, there would be a better possibility.” Now looking for a similar style to Sanchez to back him up.
    Gruden says that they didn’t consider Kaepernick when Smith went down because they wanted a quarterback with McCoy’s skillset.

The Washington Footbaw Team decided that Kaepernick would be too difficult to design an offense for in a short period and that they wanted to sign a QB who had Colt McCoy's skillset. So they signed Mark Sanchez.

Yup.

And as we know, Sanchez started Monday night to a rousing amount of success because McCoy went and got himself injured. So this happened:

Can confirm the Redskins are signing QB Josh Johnson and LB/DE Marcus Smith.

Josh Johnson last played in an NFL game in 2013. He has started just five. Ever. His most recent accomplishment was being drafted into the American Dodgeball Association of America Alliance of American Football...Alliance. (SPRING FOOTBAW, Y'ALL!) This happened to him in 2015:
    On October 2, 2015, Johnson signed with the Indianapolis Colts due to an injury to starter Andrew Luck. He was released on October 5, but subsequently re-signed on October 7. He was released yet again on October 12.
    Seriously. You should just take a gander at his 'professional career'. This dude should become the go-to response for how the NFL will sign any warm body to 'play' QB rather than a far better player, who has actually had real success, and is only slightly controversial.

Washington is still not out of the playoffs and has decided to rest those chances on Mark Sanchez and Josh Johnson. Instead of a guy who has already replaced an injured Alex Smith once in his life. Way to go!

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    From a Bill Barnwell column, I found this link: A complete debunking of Jay Gruden's excuse for the Redskins passing on Colin Kaepernick
    Now that Sanchez has had a chance to play, we know what those passing concepts are. So we went through every passing play Washington called for Sanchez against the Eagles on Monday night and charted each one. Three of those plays were variations of “four verticals,” which can be found in any playbook. One was a running back screen, which is also in every playbook. And Washington ran a double-pass trick play, which isn’t going to be in the weekly game plan. We’ll just ignore those concepts and focus on the 19 reamining passing plays.

We then skimmed through Kaepernick’s film from 2014 to 2016, looking to see if he had run similar concepts. And wouldn’t you know it: We found examples of him running 15 of the 19 concepts Washington ran on Monday night.

Gruden can claim that the decision to not sign Kaepernick is strictly a football one because signing such a quarterback would force him to overhaul his entire offense, but, as coaches love to say, the film don’t lie.

Washington is running almost all of the concepts Kaepernick was running during his best statistical seasons — seasons that the cast of failed quarterbacks the Redskins brought in for workouts can only dream of producing.

There's even a gif of Kaepernick running Spider-2-Y-Banana!!!

hippofant on
  • Options
    By the way, this also happened regarding the Derek Henry run:

Please don't call that one of the best runs in NFL history.

If you call it anything, call it one of the worst tackling jobs.
    SHUT UP, NERD!

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    By the way, this also happened regarding the Derek Henry run:

Please don't call that one of the best runs in NFL history.

If you call it anything, call it one of the worst tackling jobs.
    SHUT UP, NERD!

My first introduction to the existence of Darren Rovell, was a complete mocking of his knowledge/opinion/career.

Nothing I've seen from him since, has made me consider the original take on Rovell was undeserved.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    I don't even think the tackling was that bad. There was one really egregious missed tackle, by Myles Jack on the pursuit, but a deep safety getting stiff-armed to hell by a running back in the open field is a pretty common occurrence. Especially since that safety didn't even have run responsibility, which was why they weren't filling, since the Jaguars outnumbered the Titans' blocks 9 to 8 in the box. But not only did #9 run themselves out of the play, no Jaguar beat a block, and the Jaguars weren't able to hold up at the line, which was the real problem.

Some deep safety running in from 20 yards out to make a play... shit, there aren't many safeties that I'm gonna put at more than a 50/50 in that situation. We're in a world now where Marshawn Lynch, Adrian Peterson, Saquon Barkeley, etc... often break multiple tackles per play! That wasn't hardly the worst tackling we've seen this season.

hippofant on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    It can't be the worst tackling, Green Bay wasn't even playing.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    the tackling wasn’t amazing and that is why it was a touchdown. Everyone that could make a play was coming in from a bad angle and hard to route around blocks. This meant that they were traveling the wrong direction to get a good tackle. Which means they got run over because the guy they were trying to tackle was bigger than them and has inherent rules advantages.

The only way that they were going to stop him would have been to get lucky and hook his leg. But they couldn’t get an angle to make that play because the lead blocker was defending it by holding the slot where that could occur rather than being in front of the runner.

So it’s probably better to say it’s an example of amazing blocking. The blockers were able to recognize where the best chance of a tackle would be and then defend against it while trusting their running back to defend against the front.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Jacksonville sucked. The best their defense was all night was getting a safety off of a muffed punt return.

It can be both a great run and a shitty defense.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    The tackling was very bad, but the run was also very good or he doesn't score.

Really all game Jacksonville's tackling was low effort and poor

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Am I misremembering or is Saturday NFL coming earlier than before? Usually it’s week 16 & 17 based on Christmas/New Years

• Options
    The next two Saturdays. Next week is the last TNF. Week 17 is Sunday only.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Philbin coming in with the fuck it lets do this attitude.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    So, like Miami, then?

• Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    So, like Miami, then?

No that's the exact opposite of him with us.

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    So, like Miami, then?

Pretty much! I'm good with it. Can't come in and play safe after McCarthy

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    So, like Miami, then?

Pretty much! I'm good with it. Can't come in and play safe after McCarthy

Well, not comparatively anyway.