As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Virtual Reality] is like normal reality, but butter

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Has anyone tried table top simulator in vr? I'm guessing it's more a novelty than anything but I'm curious about it.

• Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    I tried it when it first came out and the game stuff was amazing, but all of the menu stuff was garbage to the point where it wasn't worth it.

I keep meaning to try again because there are a lot of patch notes that mention the menu stuff between when I last played and now

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I played a game of Infinity with ttsim. It was very cool! Eventually my neck started to hurt because I was looking down a lot

• Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    We got our Rift last night. I've played Rift and Vive a few times over the last few years at PAX so I felt like I remembered how cool VR is, but VR IS SO COOL. I'm still exclaiming all the time. Tilt Brush blows my mind. Beat Saber might be the greatest entertainment experience of all time? It's like every sense is flooded with joy as I am become the music *transcends* Oh and whoever was talking about hitting RL things while playing Gorn - no kidding. We quickly decided that was a game we're only playing when someone is there to chaperone. My wife was spinning around while holding a dude with one hand and punching with the other. I was thinking "haha that's cute" through a full revolution before my brain went "CORDS" and rushed to stop her from getting completely wound up.

Seriously though, so wholly worth the money. I'm also really impressed by how well everything works, for instance running SteamVR with it was no problem and everything's been pretty peachy.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I wish there was licensed music in Beat Saber.

• Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    Are you on Vive/Rift? You can download the Beatsaver mod and peruse a bunch of community-made songs. They're of varying quality in terms of beat placement and whatnot, but there are a bunch of gems.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    I wish there was licensed music in Beat Saber.

Uhh... It depends on your definition of "licensed", but Uptown Funk is a regular part of my VR workout

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Jaroslav Beck is a great composer and I'm hoping more that he adds more stuff than they get licensed music for Beat Saber.

I have $100 Bills, Legend, Turn Me On and Escape on my regular playlist and when other people hear them, they always, always ask me what I'm listening to.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I find them too weird to listen to by themselves, missing the saber cut sounds feels like the song is missing something.

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Just got my laptop and headset!

send help cant stop sabering beats

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    My wife is a massive Greatest Showman fan, she doesn't really play Beat Saber but does enjoy watching my flail around to The Greatest Show.

There are a couple of good maps for it, and for the 'reimagined' song.

Under The Sea is also another favourite, it's one that's best played without watching a video first. There's a little surprise which is fun.

I play Beat Saber almost daily. It's easily my GOTY.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Hey, anyone else with a Windows mixed reality headset know if there's some kind of movement smoothing setting for the controllers I can play with? They seem a lil' jittery, though still pretty accurate, it's mostly an aesthetic thing.

Edit: oh also, how do I show a mirror of what the VR headset is seeing on my laptop screen?

Atheraal on
  • Options
    Atheraal wrote: »
    Hey, anyone else with a Windows mixed reality headset know if there's some kind of movement smoothing setting for the controllers I can play with? They seem a lil' jittery, though still pretty accurate, it's mostly an aesthetic thing.

Edit: oh also, how do I show a mirror of what the VR headset is seeing on my laptop screen?

I don't know what Windows MR launches games with, but In SteamVR, you have the Display Mirror option. https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/6mpptw/mirror_steamvr_home_on_monitor/

• Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    The Vive headset has what is generally called Tron mode, you can doubletap the VR menu button and it gives you an overlay of the front camera.

No kidding. I was only familiar with the wireframe guardian mode. Interesting.

I will note that if you are a person leaving your headset plugged in when not in use, as I was before going wireless, occasionally tron mode breaks, and it'll give you the rendered overlays of the controllers/lighthouses, but not the actual camera overlay, and you have to reboot the headset to fix it.

How does the wireless headset charge? Do you have a shelf or a stand or something for it to sit on while it charges?

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    templewulf wrote: »
    The Vive headset has what is generally called Tron mode, you can doubletap the VR menu button and it gives you an overlay of the front camera.

I will note that if you are a person leaving your headset plugged in when not in use, as I was before going wireless, occasionally tron mode breaks, and it'll give you the rendered overlays of the controllers/lighthouses, but not the actual camera overlay, and you have to reboot the headset to fix it.

How does the wireless headset charge? Do you have a shelf or a stand or something for it to sit on while it charges?

H27KCsE.jpg
    Battery is not physically part of the headset, it is designed to sit in a pocket/clip to a belt while in use. Theoretically you can probably use any such battery pack with the thing, but it very specifically says to not use other ones with the headset.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options

H27KCsE.jpg
    Battery is not physically part of the headset, it is designed to sit in a pocket/clip to a belt while in use. Theoretically you can probably use any such battery pack with the thing, but it very specifically says to not use other ones with the headset.

Oh, neat! Thanks for the photo, I didn't see the battery pack anywhere on the Vive website. Does that drape over your back or something?

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Yeah, there's a USB cable sticking out the top of the headset towards the back, the battery pack plugs into that.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options

H27KCsE.jpg

You are safe to use other battery packs, so long as they are QC 3.0 compliant. I have the Anker 20100 and haven't had any issues.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I wanna get that wireless adapter so bad, but screw HTC for charging an extra 60 bucks on top of the 299 to Vie Pro owners for nothing more than a resized clip to mount it and a cable to make it compatible...

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    I wanna get that wireless adapter so bad, but screw HTC for charging an extra 60 bucks on top of the 299 to Vie Pro owners for nothing more than a resized clip to mount it and a cable to make it compatible...

It was that bullshit exactly that tipped me to buying the standard Vive instead of the Pro. The ~500 price point difference in the headsets themselves didn't bother me, but the ticky tacky price gouging on the wireless adapter compatibility pissed me off in just the right way that I sacrificed my precious resomolutions to spite a company out of $60 that I had just paid $800 dollars.

Yes, I am a bitter, petty man. I'm working on it.

• Options
    Slortex wrote: »

It was that bullshit exactly that tipped me to buying the standard Vive instead of the Pro. The ~500 price point difference in the headsets themselves didn't bother me, but the ticky tacky price gouging on the wireless adapter compatibility pissed me off in just the right way that I sacrificed my precious resomolutions to spite a company out of $60 that I had just paid $800 dollars.

I've been pretty poor in my life, and the weight of it is so crushing that an extra $60 might as well be $60 million. Now that the spouse and I are doing okay for ourselves, I still get turned way off by anyone who tries to nickel and dime us.

That said, I'm still considering the deluxe audio strap. I can't be principled all the time!

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    The deluxe audio strap is worth it, imo.

• Options
    +1 on deluxe audio strap, thing is a great investment.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Slortex wrote: »

Good man, the only ONLY reason I upgraded to a Pro was because I was able to get one for 500 bucks out the door, and someone might be interested in my old headset for around 200 bucks.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Watching my nephew play marvel vr and mine craft in vr has alone made my purchase worth it.

• Options
    Is Marvel VR any good? I need my marvel fix after I finish spidey on PS4.

• Options
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Is Marvel VR any good? I need my marvel fix after I finish spidey on PS4.

Yes and no. It's really cool playing as your favorite super hero's and it can be played online. The hero's themselves have a variety of playstyles. And I think there's 6 missions?

on the downside, every mission is exactly the same. Defend a point, defend a point, defend a point, face a boss, end. Every, Single, One.

So, it's pretty fun and a nice VR romp. I got it for free with my Oculus purchase. As a $40 game, I think it's lacking.

As a free game it's pretty fun although very repetitive. Then again, I couldn't see myself paying more than $15 -$20 for it. Then again, there's a lot of games for $15-$20 that offer less than this if you enjoy the core game play. But then again, it is repetitive and a hard sell at $40.

Hope that gives you an idea @Mr_Grinch

• Options
    Sounds like a definite "wait for a sale" game for me - thanks!

• Options
    holy shit the bullet hell arcade game in the lab is so good

• Options
    Atheraal wrote: »
    holy shit the bullet hell arcade game in the lab is so good

Is that the one where you just move the craft around by moving your hand? I thought it was a brilliant use of VR, and I'd love to see a full featured game like that.

• Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    I
    Peas wrote: »
    * Deracine video *

I was thinking of picking this up over the holiday break when I have more time to play. Have you played it yet?

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    I only have a mixed reality headset so i have to experience it through youtube unfortunately

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Oh shoot right I could be playing VR minecraft.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I think Beat Saber on PSVR might have an audio bug. It is insanely loud.

• Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    I think Beat Saber on PSVR might have an audio bug. It is insanely loud.

That's weird. Headphones plugged into headset wire? Volume adjusted?

Try posting on PSVR sub-reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Headphones into the headset and through the television too. I'll poke around, yeah.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Just FYI, it’s insanely loud by default on the Rift as well. I’d guess it’s the same way on Vive.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Yeah I have my Rift volume no higher than 40% to play Beat Saber and even then I only have it that high on my favourite tracks, when I'm just doing a workout I turn it down below 30%

• Options
    I have it at 100% so I can't hear the yelps of my family as my flailing limbs assault them.

This discussion has been closed.