As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mueller Investigation] Where there's smock, there's liar.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    jokes on Mueller as they can't arrest a husband and wife for the same crime

If I'm reading Ivanka correctly with the bits and pieces exposed that she's done with is shady AF (like her dealing with the Revolutionary Guard etc) Mueller may not have to. The both seem to be doing things for Trump's admin separately which should be enough to nail them either on the federal or state level. Not to mention Ivanka's been working for Trump's company for a long time, which is another aspect for Mueller to pin her with since the only reason his company has gone so long without harsher legal troubles is because nobody bothered looking. She may be involved in the this.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/michael-cohen-pleads-guilty-manhattan-federal-court-eight-counts-including-criminal-tax

Every member of the Trump family is deep in hugely illegal stuff. They were all out there making deals with shady characters in foreign countries trying to pimp the Trump brand after he could no longer secure loans state-side.

His second daughter seems to have kept well away from all the family bullshit, just as a point of order.

• Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Yeah, Tiffany Trump is currently first place in the "Least likely to see the inside of a prison cell" competition in the Trump family.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Barron Trump probably isn't up to anything yet.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    jokes on Mueller as they can't arrest a husband and wife for the same crime

If I'm reading Ivanka correctly with the bits and pieces exposed that she's done with is shady AF (like her dealing with the Revolutionary Guard etc) Mueller may not have to. The both seem to be doing things for Trump's admin separately which should be enough to nail them either on the federal or state level. Not to mention Ivanka's been working for Trump's company for a long time, which is another aspect for Mueller to pin her with since the only reason his company has gone so long without harsher legal troubles is because nobody bothered looking. She may be involved in the this.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/michael-cohen-pleads-guilty-manhattan-federal-court-eight-counts-including-criminal-tax

Every member of the Trump family is deep in hugely illegal stuff. They were all out there making deals with shady characters in foreign countries trying to pimp the Trump brand after he could no longer secure loans state-side.

His second daughter seems to have kept well away from all the family bullshit, just as a point of order.

Come on, not even Trump himself thinks she's a member of the family. :P

I mean, I don't think he's even once talked about how fuckable he thinks she is.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Giuliani's response to the release is ???

Politico reporter:

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    ...is Trump contagious? Guilliani seems to be getting more and more incoherent.

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Politico reporter:

This tweet reads like a Game Grumps rant. I half expected it to end with, "MARK ZUCKERBERG."

• Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    Muller knows what he's doing. Sadly, cases like this take forever, I mean, I'm no lawyer but I'd bet any lawyer would remark how FAST this is going, despite my cries of more speed. Muller now has advantage with other people, cause he can just tell them how much Flynn said, and unless they give them something better...don't hope that Trump's gonna back you, you saw how fast he turned on Flynn. Play ball with me or twist in the wind.

I second what previous posters said as well, Tax evasion was how they got Capone. You do not stand in the way of Uncle Sam and his cut. He takes that personal.

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

Guilliani has never been coherent. He's been a joke for forever. People just ignored it because 9/11.

liEt3nH.png
  • TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    "Over the top in ethical behavior."

Is there such a thing as a Freudian auto-correct?

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Tarantio wrote: »
    "Over the top in ethical behavior."

Is there such a thing as a Freudian auto-correct?

It was very ethical for Flynn to sing to Mueller like a canary.

• Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Trump and his staff have left themselves in a very awkward position on this one. The narrative has always been that Flynn didn’t commit any crimes and that he was forced into claiming he did to spare his family, so now social media is full of people saying the plea for no jail time proves this and that Flynn should sue.

But Trump knows that Flynn has given Mueller vast amounts of information on him, his campaign and his transition to power.

But he’s given himself no reason to attack Flynn, or discredit anything he’s said.

A few like Giuliani are going the “LOL no jail must be really guilty amirite?” route, but most are like Trump himself suddenly is. Very quiet.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Trump and his staff have left themselves in a very awkward position on this one. The narrative has always been that Flynn didn’t commit any crimes and that he was forced into claiming he did to spare his family, so now social media is full of people saying the plea for no jail time proves this and that Flynn should sue.

But Trump knows that Flynn has given Mueller vast amounts of information on him, his campaign and his transition to power.

But he’s given himself no reason to attack Flynn, or discredit anything he’s said.

A few like Giuliani are going the “LOL no jail must be really guilty amirite?” route, but most are like Trump himself suddenly is. Very quiet.

No 3am tweet doesn't mean he won't overreact on Twitter later today.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

I just figured he hasn't had it explained to him, using simple words and drawn out in crayon for him, just how fucked he may be.

It was a lot of words, including many mutisyllable ones, in text form. No way he has finished reading it.

MorganV on
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular

Agreed, but if and when Trump does go ballistic, it’s very likely to confuse the hell out of his supporters. If he attacks Flynn then it will run counter to everything they’re being told by every right wing pundit with a mic.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yeah but then that becomes the new reality. There's no continuity with these goons, he will have always been at war with Eastasia Flynn.

Oh brilliant
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    MorganV wrote: »

I just figured he hasn't had it explained to him, using simple words and drawn out in crayon for him, just how fucked he may be.

It was a lot of words, including many mutisyllable ones, in text form. No way he has finished reading it.

"I know, I know, it looks bad. But what I think happened was- I can't prove it, these things are almost impossible to prove- but what I think we're seeing here is that someone invaded Mueller's text with anti-Trump rhetoric. These things really can happen, it just happened to me the other day!

That's what Mueller should be looking into, if you ask me."
    - Rudy Guilianni, probably.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

Politico reporter:
    Someone needs to let Rudy know that he's not part of a WWE plot where he plays the hype-man for the heel. He's supposed to be a lawyer.

• MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    Evigilant wrote: »
    I saw it brought up somewhere that things are moving faster ever since that take home test Trump wrote his answers for. To think, they originally wanted to ask those directly a YEAR ago. Has Mueller been waiting a year for this to happen, waiting to catch Manafort and Trump in a perjury trap?

Trump praises Stone for not cooperating. Mueller recommends no jail time for Flynn for cooperating. That's stone cold.

To be a fly on the wall....

Hey I don’t mean to pick on you specifically, but can we as a group please refrain from using the Trump camp’s preferred formulation of ‘perjury trap’? Perjury traps are real and pretty bad things, and also nothing at all like the situation being described here. Letting their preferred language catch on is doing their job for them and casting an unnecessary shadow on what is and should be legitimate law enforcement work.

Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

It was released too late for the Fox News talking heads to discuss it last night. Once he's gotten filled in by advisors F&F, Hannity, and Pierro I'm sure we'll see some outbursts.

Sicarii on
    gotsig.jpg
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Barron Trump probably isn't up to anything yet.

True but unlike Tiffany he might visit

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    If Whitaker is doing his job, Trump is quiet because he knows what's under the redactions.

However, I think he's quiet because he's media savvy enough to lay back for a minute and see what the prevailing media narrative is so he can signal boost the most effective counter.

• ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »
    I actually hope Flynn doesn’t get any jail time. Send the message that you can either go to jail and hope Trump pardons you, or you could cooperate and just avoid jail.

Fuck that though, because he's a real piece of shit, even compared to most of the rest of them.

Nah. There should be a place in the legal system for redemption of some kind. If you come forward and tell everything you know to the best of your abilities in a timely manner, leniency should be bestowed upon you if possible.

If for no other reason than to encourage bad people to tell on worse people so that the worst people are caught with their hands in the cookie jar.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    I actually hope Flynn doesn’t get any jail time. Send the message that you can either go to jail and hope Trump pardons you, or you could cooperate and just avoid jail.

Fuck that though, because he's a real piece of shit, even compared to most of the rest of them.

Nah. There should be a place in the legal system for redemption of some kind. If you come forward and tell everything you know to the best of your abilities in a timely manner, leniency should be bestowed upon you if possible.

If for no other reason than to encourage bad people to tell on worse people so that the worst people are caught with their hands in the cookie jar.
    That's kind of how plea deals can work sometimes. The court is happy to not have to go through a trial.

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

True, but on a karmic level I still want to see him face some sort of punishment for having the audacity to go up during campaign rallies and lead chants of “lock her up” while he was neck deep in illegal shit himself.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Alright so the key takeaways seem to be

Flynn cooperated fully
    He gave Mueller’s team a lot
    Much of what he gave Mueller et al was detailed information related to Russia, before and during transition
    He’s also assisting with several other investigations
    One is something we haven’t heard anything about yet
    Well it could be something we've suspected. Like an investigation into Trump's finances. That hasn't been publicly announced or talked about by the Mueller team yet right? It's my conservative guess on what this could possibly be.

My outlandish guess is that the pee tape is real.

If it was purely financial I think he would have handed it off to SDNY or some other branch to drive home. So it has to be something he feels is in his wheelhouse but maybe not public yet. It could be collusion with the saudi's basically that would be a simple offshoot of what he was already looking into with russians and goes to establish a pattern of conduct.

• ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Marathon wrote: »

True, but on a karmic level I still want to see him face some sort of punishment for having the audacity to go up during campaign rallies and lead chants of “lock her up” while he was neck deep in illegal shit himself.

As would I.

But I'd far rather he be given a great deal that makes him sing so that we can hopefully end this nightmare of an administration. Flynn might be awful, but I'm personally perfectly fine with him getting to walk away from this if the bigger fish fry.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.

As would I.

But I'd far rather he be given a great deal that makes him sing so that we can hopefully end this nightmare of an administration. Flynn might be awful, but I'm personally perfectly fine with him getting to walk away from this if the bigger fish fry.

Reality is that he's not "walking away" even if he gets no jail. Walking away was the deal he.. walked away from. This is just Probably No Jail Time. His career is over, he'll never get clearance or work in government again... pleading guilty to a federal crime is no small thing, even if you don't have to sit in a cell. It damages your life and future prospects irreparably.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

As would I.

Also, while I'd like some direct financial or incarcetorial judgment, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if he gets it to a lesser extent.

Once we hear the blowback, and find out more about what he gave Mueller, given he was the first, I think it's likely he'll be made a pariah. Which will mean lost potential income, and a shrinking of his social circle.

Would it be a fair punishment? Nope. But it's not zero. And history is rife with "rats" that have lived the rest of their life miserable. So here's hoping. Cause fuck him.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

As would I.

Reality is that he's not "walking away" even if he gets no jail. Walking away was the deal he.. walked away from. This is just Probably No Jail Time. His career is over, he'll never get clearance or work in government again... pleading guilty to a federal crime is no small thing, even if you don't have to sit in a cell. It damages your life and future prospects irreparably.

What does Gordon Liddy have to say about that?

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

Guilliani has never been coherent. He's been a joke for forever. People just ignored it because 9/11.

Guilliani's New York Miracle was always about his success in weaving "business and family friendly" rhetoric around racist policing and policies geared toward ethnically cleansing the city through gentrification and direct intimidation.

Phillishere on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Guilliani's New York Miracle was always about his success in weaving "business and family friendly" rhetoric around racist policing and policies geared toward ethnically cleansing the city through gentrification and direct intimidation.

And using those as an excuse for lowered crime rates despite it being a national trend

As would I.

I guess he had a tolerably OK run after Carter commuted his sentence, parlaying his fame into self-parody and media.

Then again, he was in line to run the FBI and might have ended up as AG if not for his conviction. His career in government was in fact over, and it did damage his life and future prospects.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Also, these people haven't learned shit. Just look at his son's twitter feed.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

As would I.

This is not a consequence at all. You might have damaged a rich and powerful white man's fragile ego, but he will remain a rich and powerful white man.

He's getting less punishment for committing a federal crime on matters of national security than someone who possesses a few grams of weed.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular

As would I.

He isn't walking away unscathed because he did the ethical thing and turned States evidence. So he will be treated like a rat. If he didn't, and kept the treason concealed, he'd be on his way to President of the NRA like Ollie North. Fortunately Mueller is good at this.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Brolo wrote: »

As would I.

This is not a consequence at all. You might have damaged a rich and powerful white man's fragile ego, but he will remain a rich and powerful white man.

He's getting less punishment for committing a federal crime on matters of national security than someone who possesses a few grams of weed.

You barely even need grams to get more jail time than this, and they will hand it to you regardless of if you cough up your dealer, and you'll still have a conviction on your record which is indeed really fuckin harmful for your normal every day life... you know if you aren't already rich and can manage to live the rest of your life without working a normal job.

But that's what taking the deal here gets you. I hope more rats flee Trumps sinking ship, as they see a clear way out of the mess

Sleep on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

As would I.

I guess he had a tolerably OK run after Carter commuted his sentence, parlaying his fame into self-parody and media.

Then again, he was in line to run the FBI and might have ended up as AG if not for his conviction. His career in government was in fact over, and it did damage his life and future prospects.

Sure. He still made out okay in the end. Flynn's career and reputation are trash, but the likelihood that he still ends up 'okay' will always be there.

I suspect that he, and others, will end up regular guests on FOX News and other places. Though probably not until Trump is out of office. In this case, Flynn fell on his sword to protect his fool of a son. All things considered, he'll be just fine.

Spending the rest of his life as the poster child of 'democratic overreach' will probably pay well.

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I mean, do Republicans have any issue at all hiring (rich white male) felons? For anything, up to and including POTUS?

Consequences my ass. I'd be totally okay getting Ollie North money (who, like, only helped Reagan commit some light treason)

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    I mean, do Republicans have any issue at all hiring (rich white male) felons? For anything, up to and including POTUS?

Consequences my ass. I'd be totally okay getting Ollie North money.

Loyalty is big among the GOP. Flynn will have no problem getting an academic or think tank sinecure if he wants one, though.

This discussion has been closed.