As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Excardiboard

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited December 2018 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Excardiboard

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• ZovokaZovoka Registered User regular
    Is that the cheese steak fairy?

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Zovoka wrote: »
    Is that the cheese steak fairy?

If not then the hotdog fairy needs to see a doctor about that.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I think Unplugged is in Philly? So yeah, I'd say that's the Philly Cheesesteak Fairy.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    There is something vaguely Cthulu-esque about a philly cheesesteak fairy.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I've always thought the cheese steak fairy was the most horrific of the Elder Gods.

nF3d53x.png

dennis on
  • T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    Isn't this the logic behind most of the Yugioh series?

I mean, you hardly ever actually see Yugi or the other protagonists actually go to a store and purchase new cards or arrange their decks. Whenever a duel comes up, they always have all the cards they need to pull off a victory.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    "It's vertical mouthpieces were drooling and glistening with meaty tentacles and dripping cheese."

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Gabe's logic is pretty strong here

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    T-Danger wrote: »

I mean, you hardly ever actually see Yugi or the other protagonists actually go to a store and purchase new cards or arrange their decks. Whenever a duel comes up, they always have all the cards they need to pull off a victory.

One day there will be a prequel to the Yugioh series that's just the parents/uncles/aunts of the main characters buying a bunch of boosters at a department store as gifts for kids.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • JackJack Registered User regular
    Yugi literally inherited his deck from his grandfather.

• TheSchaefTheSchaef Registered User regular
    Yeah, but they'll only have an Excalideck for, at best, one tournament season, before it gets chained into oblivion.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Had the pleasure of watching this one made live. Yeah, there was a Child's Play donation incentive for a hot dog fairy which was $1500 and was hit immediately. So Philly rose the steaks (Heh.) a bit and said cheese steak fairy for $5000, which was hit midway through the panel.

Thus, this gruesome mythical Cthulhu-like creature exists before your very eyes. Mike drew the eyes on both sides and stopped to hug himself and look away, and then he was begged to keep it like that.

KoopahTroopah on
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Had the pleasure of watching this one made live. Yeah, there was a Child's Play donation incentive for a hot dog fairy which was $1500 and was hit immediately. So Philly rose the steaks (Heh.) a bit and said cheese steak fairy for $5000, which was hit midway through the panel.

Thus, this gruesome mythical Cthulhu-like creature exists before your very eyes. Mike drew the eyes on both sides and stopped to hug himself and look away, and then he was begged to keep it like that.

The Cheesesteak Fairy was in 2017's Unplugged Create-A-Strip too.
    i-RS29tsJ-2100x20000.jpg

• jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    the art. is what bugs me.
    the art in Keyforge is straight up awful.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Jack wrote: »
    Yugi literally inherited his deck from his grandfather.

He then modified it a lot. His deck towards the end is pretty much unrecognizable as Solomon’s deck, aside from the inclusion of Dark Magician.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    So it's finally dawning on me what Keyforge is. When I heard it was a CCG where you just bought one preset pack, I thought "oh, so they've just designed a few assymetric races with intentionally made packs. Sounds fine." But I guess the pack you buy and are locked into is randomly made? That just seems like even more aggressive monetezation: if you get a garbage pack you have to buy a whole new set of cards!

Even putting the cost aside, or if we assume everyone will just stick with the pack they buy through good or ill (ha ha) I just don't understand the appeal of randomly generated experiences over carefully crafted ones. Like procedurally generated metrioidvanias...I just don't get it. But if I'm understanding Keyforge right, it's more like procedurally generating the world for a metrioidvania and then locking you into that one setup that was made by an algorithm, not a designer.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    So it's finally dawning on me what Keyforge is. When I heard it was a CCG where you just bought one preset pack, I thought "oh, so they've just designed a few assymetric races with intentionally made packs. Sounds fine." But I guess the pack you buy and are locked into is randomly made? That just seems like even more aggressive monetezation: if you get a garbage pack you have to buy a whole new set of cards!

Even putting the cost aside, or if we assume everyone will just stick with the pack they buy through good or ill (ha ha) I just don't understand the appeal of randomly generated experiences over carefully crafted ones. Like procedurally generated metrioidvanias...I just don't get it. But if I'm understanding Keyforge right, it's more like procedurally generating the world for a metrioidvania and then locking you into that one setup that was made by an algorithm, not a designer.

Sealed deck events, where each participant gets x booster packs with which to construct a deck to use, have been popular in CCGs for a long time now. Not as popular as drafting formats but often more popular among more casual players. There's luck involved of course but everyone's monetary investment is the same. Plus a lot of cards that just aren't optimal to use in constructed formats are usable in limited formats and get to see play. It's normally only a small portion of cards that see serious play in constructed formats in any CCG. Finally, you're a lot less likely to encounter some deck styles in limited formats specifically combo decks that often rely on a specific combo that sets up a win with little interaction with the other player playing the game and control decks that often stall more than do things in the early game. A lot of players don't enjoy playing against those kinds of decks and those kinds of decks require specific card setups you don't get in limited formats. Heck, a lot of players of any multiplayer game will complain about so many others trying to only stick with the metagame and a limited format completely ignores the metagame.

It's definitely not for everyone the same way that a lot of CCG players are much more focused on constructed formats than limited but there's decades of experience to suggest there is a market for this.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    It me, I'm the target market.

I like the idea of drafts and sealed, trying to figure out how to work a deck on the fly, but I hate actually deck-building in those types of games. And most of the games that run drafts are... kinda crap that I hate playing? (Like, say, Magic.) I think the last time I really played a lot of sealed/drafts was the old WoWTCG.

At least with this, I get that kind of environment, but I don't have to worry about actually building a functioning deck. And it sounds like Sealed is going to be the main competitive environment they're pushing, so I don't have to worry about people money-hatting into a powerful deck.

Plus I think it helps with my own tendencies, where in games where I build my own deck, I always happen to gravitate to the factions that always end up being extremely weak? (Weyland, for ages, I'm looking at you.) It definitely feels less bad to play against someone now with a random deck, since you know that they didn't make those choices and bandwagon on a specific faction, so you're seeing a more diverse set of cards.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Oh, I definitely see the appeal of getting rid of deckbuilding. It just seems to me that it would be even better to go all the way and have ten or so decks intentionally built by the devs and that was it. You could even build the theme around it: so the cards in the elf deck all have elves on them or whatever.

Maybe that kind if game already exists or maybe no one would want it. I'm just finding that as I gravitate away from wargames and CCGs and toward board games, that I very highly value tight experiences without haphazard or accidental design.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    jwalk wrote: »

It looks like all the other LOL/Torchlight/Wildstar games in the Blizzard-meets-Pixar school of art. I'm not sure what the trendsetter game in that style was, but I feel like there's way too many video and tabletop games sharing that same basic look anymore.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • PohtHehdPohtHehd Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

It looks like all the other LOL/Torchlight/Wildstar games in the Blizzard-meets-Pixar school of art. I'm not sure what the trendsetter game in that style was, but I feel like there's way too many video and tabletop games sharing that same basic look anymore.

It is an artifact of the old Warcraft 3 engine which was used for the original Defense of the Ancients. The style proved to be massively popular so naturally companies would adapt to that. Though I'd say it is a bit undermining to call it "Blizzard-meets-Pixar" since none of the games you mentioned were made by Blizzard or Pixar, both of which have very different styles of art that change dramatically from project to project. I'd call it Keyforge-style, I suppose.

Exaggerated features, vibrant colors and softly contrasting compositions are not unique to any one "school of art" but they do appeal to younger audiences which is what video games and tabletop games are generally targeted towards. Identifying a trendsetter for this type of thing would be futile and unnecessary since you could, theoretically, keep going back through time identifying different artists all the way to before modern civilization began and perhaps further than that.

If you find that too many games are sharing the same basic look then it is probably you looking at them basically. There are nuances to every artist.

Also, King Arthur didn't exist.

• jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    It's supposed to be a more casual game, really. Like you and a couple friends will just go buy some random decks and play them and be happy... And "no more buying tons of booster packs to get good cards".

Yeah.

In reality, instead of buying booster packs you'd have to keep buying whole decks until you get a good one.

• GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular

Didn't his grandfather help invent(rediscover) the game? Also, Yugi can pull of the victory with the help of his Ancient Egyptian Cheating Device.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I believe they’ve said they were going for a “Saturday Morning Cartoon” vibe for the art and setting.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • InvertinInvertin Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Oh, I definitely see the appeal of getting rid of deckbuilding. It just seems to me that it would be even better to go all the way and have ten or so decks intentionally built by the devs and that was it. You could even build the theme around it: so the cards in the elf deck all have elves on them or whatever.

Maybe that kind if game already exists or maybe no one would want it. I'm just finding that as I gravitate away from wargames and CCGs and toward board games, that I very highly value tight experiences without haphazard or accidental design.

Sentinels of the Multiverse is kiiiind of like this, but not quite, since it's multiple players co-op versus a deck that represents the villain (all the cards effectively serving as the villain's AI). But it's the only card game of that type with interaction and stacking and stuff that I can think of that has prebuilt decks as the basis for all gameplay.

Invertin on
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

They actually say where they get a lot of their cards, and there's at least like four scenes of fucking around with hundreds of cards on a little table.
    One guy is always walking around with a stupid briefcase of cards, and won't miss an opportunity to talk about how expensive they were.

A few people are explicitly creating new cards during the match and openly putting those cards in their own hands without being disqualified.

PLA on
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    PohtHehd wrote: »
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

It is an artifact of the old Warcraft 3 engine which was used for the original Defense of the Ancients. The style proved to be massively popular so naturally companies would adapt to that. Though I'd say it is a bit undermining to call it "Blizzard-meets-Pixar" since none of the games you mentioned were made by Blizzard or Pixar, both of which have very different styles of art that change dramatically from project to project. I'd call it Keyforge-style, I suppose.

Exaggerated features, vibrant colors and softly contrasting compositions are not unique to any one "school of art" but they do appeal to younger audiences which is what video games and tabletop games are generally targeted towards. Identifying a trendsetter for this type of thing would be futile and unnecessary since you could, theoretically, keep going back through time identifying different artists all the way to before modern civilization began and perhaps further than that.

If you find that too many games are sharing the same basic look then it is probably you looking at them basically. There are nuances to every artist.

I called it that because I felt like they are the two most-obvious influences; to me it all looks very much like Blizz' house Warcraft style (from War 3 onwards) with even more cartoony qualities reminiscent of Pixar stuff (also HoTS and Hearthstone are basically this new look as well). The Blizzard comparison is about a lot more than just line-work & colors though. It's their specific brand of kitchen-sink fantasy, as readily distinct from D&D's or Warhammer's respective styles. I mean, no one's confusing it for any of Zelda's brighter styles (Wind Waker, Skyward Sword, or Breath of the Wild) either. And while I agree it doesn't matter much either way, I don't agree that it'd be futile trying to peg who first popularized the blend; Torchlight is probably the earliest, because DOTA wasn't really putting out official promotional art when it came out AFAIK, and LOL didn't exist yet? It's a cool style, I'm not disparaging it, I just feel like it's getting a bit overused.
    PohtHehd wrote: »
    Also, King Arthur didn't exist.

Uh, what is this about?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    I thought it was the yakisoba bun fairy. ^.^

• GuilelessGuileless Registered User regular
    I forgot about Yugioh. Is that still a thing?

Speaking of old card games, how has Capcom not updated SNK v. Capcom: Card Fighters Clash?

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Speaking of earning your deck:
    pic4448899.png

• GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    Guileless wrote: »
    I forgot about Yugioh. Is that still a thing?

Speaking of old card games, how has Capcom not updated SNK v. Capcom: Card Fighters Clash?

Because SNK made that, and the last time they did, they had to replace like every single cartridge due to a game-breaking glitch.

• shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    @GUILELESS yes. I think they just released a digital only new entry last year or so ago?