As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] Astera Fest: Catch 'em all.

• KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    So far my attempts at various AT monsters:
    AT Zorah - 2 failed, 4 wins (one of those fails was solo, one of the wins was solo too!)
    AT Kirin - 2 attempts, 2 fails. I hate that he moves so much, maybe I need to get a bow or LBG build for him.
    AT Vaal - 3 attempts, 3 fails. The tick damage is insane, even with 3 miasma gems in.
    AT Xeno - 3 attempts, 3 fails.

Seems I'm not meant to be doing AT monsters right now. My gear seems mostly ok, which is annoying as it places the blame squarely on me lol. I've done some reading and it seems that I should be able to get Vaal down with more elderseal, maybe its time to health boost my decimation claws and use them on him.

Solo'ing Zorah was interesting, my first fail was because I straight up ran out of time. I stupidly thought that Nerg would give up after X time like he does in normal, so wasted far too much time ignoring him. Used a HBG and cluster bombs from underneath him to destroy him, with some stickys to the face and wyvern shot if required. I think I need to settle on a bow or BG build, because not having to chase a monster around just seems better :D

If anyone is feeling kindly, my pride won't stop me from being carried like a boss for my AT kills :P hah

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • hushhush Registered User regular
    What's a good non-canta time for AT Kirin?

This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    hush wrote: »
    What's a good non-canta time for AT Kirin?

Idk, like 15-20 minutes depending on the weapon and faints

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    unknown.png?width=490&height=568

I'm Puss in Boots!

What armor is the rest of it? Shoulders down I mean :D

Klatu wrote: »
    What armor is the rest of it? Shoulders down I mean :D

Brigade layered armor

Ahh yeah, that explains why I haven't seen it yet haha. One day I'll bother with it

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    There's a g-rank villager request (in GU, obv) to hunt a Gravios, Brachy, and Glavenus. They're not even hyper. Last night I completed it. In addition to two sets of armor designs (incl one that is a crazy elemental crit build), the rewards include the villager just handing you both versions of the entire Lunastra ("Kaiserim") armor sets! That's pretty wild.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    There's a g-rank villager request (in GU, obv) to hunt a Gravios, Brachy, and Glavenus. They're not even hyper. Last night I completed it. In addition to two sets of armor designs (incl one that is a crazy elemental crit build), the rewards include the villager just handing you both versions of the entire Lunastra ("Kaiserim") armor sets! That's pretty wild.
    Since it's G-Rank, does that mean the quest itself is in the pub?

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
    edited December 2018
    IceBurner wrote: »
    Since it's G-Rank, does that mean the quest itself is in the pub?

Yeah it's G3 or G4. IIRC it's the end of a line of quests from various artisans.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Wow EX Deviants don't screw around. Ran Snowbaron EX twice with some PUGs tonight and got wiped both times. I've never been whupped by a Lagombi so badly before; I can't imagine what "real" monsters EXs are like.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    There we go, 7th AT Kirin kill, time to hope my friends never get around to wanting to get it hunted as a group.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    So tried AT Kirin again last night, Lance has it rough, I may need to rethink things.

Then I saw this... technically I have everything available to me, except the practice and skill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOLI_awKwZg

i know a lot of people thought Chameleos was boring and annoying but i personally like him the most in terms of overall design and aesthetic

plus his theme and gear is great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9cFG6Zg4Ro

i hope they add him to MHW and spruce up his kit like they did with the other Elders

I killed AT kirin in 17 mins solo. Probably could have shaved a min or two off due to bad execution but still not that bad

Temporal Mantle and Thunderproof Mantle is a wondrous combo

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Orphane wrote: »
    I killed AT kirin in 17 mins solo. Probably could have shaved a min or two off due to bad execution but still not that bad

That's around where my best times were, yeah.

That hammer video is downright cheating. Not the usual "lolol BOMBS EVERYWHERE" kind, but "holy shit what is this nonsense".

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    edited December 2018
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Orphane wrote: »

That's around where my best times were, yeah.

That hammer video is downright cheating. Not the usual "lolol BOMBS EVERYWHERE" kind, but "holy shit what is this nonsense".

i'm using hammer too but just a set aimed at mixing survivability and offense vs Kirin since i'm not using aerial cheese or a godlike player

I did shave off another minute tho so that's not too bad

i'm still hampered by my utter lack of hammer streamstones to augment my weapons with which is super annoying

would it kill them to introduce a tradein where i trade in weapon streamstones i don't want for ones i do

Orphane on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    killed that fuck with the rathian bow. Carted me once near the beginning as I was being dumb. Made the gloves, will make the chest then likely kill him a couple more times for the layered Armor.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    An attempt was made at AT Kirin with friends, while they were still awake enough to make a good showing of it. The highlight was probably me climbing up some vines to go for a mount attack, and right as I jump the horse starts going Saiyan. The zap hits before I connect, oneshot from full.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    edited December 2018
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    An attempt was made at AT Kirin with friends, while they were still awake enough to make a good showing of it. The highlight was probably me climbing up some vines to go for a mount attack, and right as I jump the horse starts going Saiyan. The zap hits before I connect, oneshot from full.

not gonna lie, i slotted 3 thunder res gems on my Kirin hunting set because i was tired of the one-shots. It makes a pretty big difference when you're going blademaster esp since a lot of the decent blademaster gear out on PC has negative thunder res. I think i went from -5 to 13 and not getting one shot by the mass majority of Kirin's hits makes a big difference in how you feel about the fight. Maybe some people do just fine with the adrenaline but i know i'm a lot less likely to tilt if i don't just randomly die to a lighting bolt from full or 3/4ths health.

Orphane on
    I was at 47 lightning resist at the time. It could be I was not in fact at full health, but it was fairly early on so I shouldn't have been THAT low. Certainly felt like it had been hitting harder than in my solo runs.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I forget, but does MH have different damage values against the hunter depending if you're mid-attack, facing away from the monster, etc.?

I was at 47 lightning resist at the time. It could be I was not in fact at full health, but it was fairly early on so I shouldn't have been THAT low. Certainly felt like it had been hitting harder than in my solo runs.

Which lightning blast was it? That big ass one he does right in front of with a bit of wind up?

My first attempt against him went poorly, was getting one shotted by his blasts so I tweaked my decorations around to give me full health boost along with the 3 lightning resist gems.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    darkmayo wrote: »

Which lightning blast was it? That big ass one he does right in front of with a bit of wind up?

My first attempt against him went poorly, was getting one shotted by his blasts so I tweaked my decorations around to give me full health boost along with the 3 lightning resist gems.

It was the one where he zaps himself to power up. I was above him when the zap hit.

It was the one where he zaps himself to power up. I was above him when the zap hit.

Flashy way to go :D

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041

He went into the move right as I committed to the jump, all I could do was watch.

edited December 2018

He went into the move right as I committed to the jump, all I could do was watch.

I run (jump) into this all the time in GU, usually when fighting Khezu or Lagi since they like to electrify themselves. But I've eaten overhead tail smashes from Glavenus and/or Narga too.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

I run (jump) into this all the time in GU, usually when fighting Khezu or Lagi since they like to electrify themselves. But I've eaten overhead tail smashes from Glavenus and/or Narga too.
    In GU, I've also managed to somehow Aerial style jump ONTO a tail slam from Glavenus or Narga, which launches you and gives you an aerial attack without getting damaged. It's pretty badass if you remember "Oh shit, I'm alive, press X!"

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • manjimanji Registered User regular
    my AT kirin group had at least one guy with wide range 5 keeping everyone topped up. made a massive difference.

i went with my trad wide 4 GL/ guard up combo which was safe but probably sub-par dps (although i wasn't stuck trying headshots the whole time at least).

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular

That was me using jump attack on the Katie final stage with my Greatsword. Just as I push attack she starts doing Floor Is Lava and at that point I'm committed to landing in the middle of it and slooooooooowly pulling out my sword, sizzling all the way. By the time I regained control of my character I was in the middle of a large lava pool with an angry dragon in my face and barely any health left to start sprinting.

Wouldn't be so bad if it hadn't happened two more times on later fights!

Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

In GU, I've also managed to somehow Aerial style jump ONTO a tail slam from Glavenus or Narga, which launches you and gives you an aerial attack without getting damaged. It's pretty badass if you remember "Oh shit, I'm alive, press X!"

Yeah aerial dodge does some weird things. You can even ignore roars if your timing is good (maybe just Duals on that?).

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    well alright, "beat" the game and am now rank 29. Might try giving Kulve a spin at some point to try and get some of its armor

camo_sig.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Yeah aerial dodge does some weird things. You can even ignore roars if your timing is good (maybe just Duals on that?).

Hmm, that's an unusual iframe pattern then, it's almost more like a guard in behavior (once an attack is guarded, you're safe until a new hit activates).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Polaritie wrote: »

Hmm, that's an unusual iframe pattern then, it's almost more like a guard in behavior (once an attack is guarded, you're safe until a new hit activates).

IIRC the way it works (with duals) is that I'm usually in the middle of the aerial downswings when I ignore them. If I'm in the middle of my upswings (because aerial duals turns you into a vertical buzzsaw in demon mode) I can be roared out.

I just wish that helped againt the Hyper Glavenus that leads off in The Ultimate Generation. I keep failing that because Glav chews through too many of my heals; by the time I make it to Valstrax I have nothing left. Once I get past Glav the other hypers aren't so bad (Astalos can have its moments) but that quest could just be Hyper Glav/Valstrax and I might still fail -- albeit with much more time on the clock.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    More AT attempts more deaths.

1 AT Lunastra attempt, got the kill, turns out I don't need Gamma Luna stuff.
    3 solo AT Vaal attempts, 3 deaths. 2 attempts in group 2 deaths. AT vaal wasn't meant to be. All I really need is 2 kills on him, but can't get em. More would be nice though.
    1 more AT Kirin attempt, I didn't die at all, but that doesn't stop grouped people from carting. Fail.

I might just equip my horn and go hunting Kushala, give people wind resist and let them do the work for me >_< while buffing and healing people. I only need Kush chest ? I think...

I don't think AT monsters were meant for me :(

edited December 2018

No heals left save a single Lifepowder*. Three carts down (yay insurance). 1:39 left on the clock.

All village quests clear.

exhales forever

*And my Herbal Medicines, I guess? I carry them out of habit. And I suppose one of my cats could still have healed me but still.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Klatu wrote: »
    More AT attempts more deaths.

1 AT Lunastra attempt, got the kill, turns out I don't need Gamma Luna stuff.
    3 solo AT Vaal attempts, 3 deaths. 2 attempts in group 2 deaths. AT vaal wasn't meant to be. All I really need is 2 kills on him, but can't get em. More would be nice though.
    1 more AT Kirin attempt, I didn't die at all, but that doesn't stop grouped people from carting. Fail.

I might just equip my horn and go hunting Kushala, give people wind resist and let them do the work for me >_< while buffing and healing people. I only need Kush chest ? I think...

I don't think AT monsters were meant for me :(

What time do you usually play man? I’d be happy to hop on tonight to help

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I wonder if I can solo AT Zorah...

dN0T6ur.png
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Ok, maybe a dumb question but how do you join a kulve seige? I saw things popping up saying that someone started one, but I couldn't figure out where to go.

Do I need to find tracks first to get an investigation or something?

camo_sig.png
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Step 1: Join a online server session thats designated for KT (easy to search for), try to join one with quite a few people in it.

Step 2: Go to the Gathering hub.

Step 3. Talk to one of the ladies, you'll see a option for Kul Taroth.

Step 4: Pick "Join group", and choose one with the highest pursuit number.