As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Renting a room with no agreement

DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss.Registered User regular
So I'm going to be renting a room starting this week. I've been to the house, and I've met the owner. It's a flat amount per month, no deposit, all utilities paid for. But it's really informal. I told him I'd at least want some kind of document with both our signatures on it, just to protect myself. But I'm not sure what to put on it. Like some kind of agreement to not go through my things, agreement not to change the locks on me, that sort of thing? What else should I include?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You might be able to pull up something for a room rental agreement. There's lots of boilerplate legal documents for this kind of thing. Reach out to your local tenants association and they might be able to provide you one that's on the up and up with local rental code.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I don't know, @Drez might have strong thoughts on renting without paperwork.

• Options
    Yes, and...Yes, and... Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Renting without paperwork might be better than renting with bad or ad hoc paperwork, though. The tenancy laws that I'm familiar with set various minimum standards or defaults that are deemed to apply in the absence of an agreement with other terms. It shouldn't be necessary to spell out, for example, that the tenant has a reasonable expectation of privacy, and that the landlord must not unreasonably restrict access to the tenant's space (e.g. by changing locks). Someone drawing up a rental contract just because they think they should, with no reference to whatever standards apply, could inadvertently create an unenforceable or just plain disadvantageous contract.

Yes, and... on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Honestly agreements don't have to have legalize. I write contacts with sub contractors that are really simple statements.

It can be:
    I Delzhand, agree to rent 1 room at (address) in exchange for x dollars in accordance with all rental laws applicable to the state of (your state). Rental is on a month to month basis, this agreement may be terminated by either side with at least 30 days written notice. Any changes in rental rate must be done in accordance with (your state)'s laws and must be done with at least 30 days written notice. x utilities are covered under this agreement by the tenant. Sign it with a witness.

It's enforceable, if you want to use a boiler plate template, you can.

zepherin on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    they could also just flat reject you upon this suggestion, so i guess factor that in

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Renting without paperwork might be better than renting with bad or ad hoc paperwork, though. The tenancy laws that I'm familiar with set various minimum standards or defaults that are deemed to apply in the absence of an agreement with other terms. It shouldn't be necessary to spell out, for example, that the tenant has a reasonable expectation of privacy, and that the landlord must not unreasonably restrict access to the tenant's space (e.g. by changing locks). Someone drawing up a rental contract just because they think they should, with no reference to whatever standards apply, could inadvertently create an unenforceable or just plain disadvantageous contract.

Don’t ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever rent to or rent from anyone without a notarized, legally-binding document. Even though laws tend to favor the tenant in most (all?) states (and you would be the tenant in this situation) a written agreement can only protect you unless you sign something very unfavorable to you or your situation.

Sure, writing or signing a ridiculous and thus unenforceable contract will not do you any good, but there are plenty of boilerplate agreements that you can find that are good. Also, IANAL, but I don’t think an unenforceable contract precludes your default rights in your city/state.

Even with a legally enforceable, favorable contract I highly recommend living alone, far from roommates or, if it can be avoided, the majority of human society.*

*A joke (mostly)

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I found https://legaltemplates.net/form/lease-agreement/ and I think that's what I'm going to use. I don't think there's any risk of the guy rejecting me based on it, he said he was fine with it when I suggested it yesterday.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    unless you are in dire straits and absolutely HAVE to rent from someone with no contract
    do not do this
    contracts are there to provide an even field for tenant and landlord and you have zero protection without it

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Edit This isn't chat. Derp.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    The owner flaked out on me. Supremely inconvenient, but at least I didn't lose anything. Consider this a lesson cheaply learned.

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

Don’t ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever rent to or rent from anyone without a notarized, legally-binding document. Even though laws tend to favor the tenant in most (all?) states (and you would be the tenant in this situation) a written agreement can only protect you unless you sign something very unfavorable to you or your situation.

Sure, writing or signing a ridiculous and thus unenforceable contract will not do you any good, but there are plenty of boilerplate agreements that you can find that are good. Also, IANAL, but I don’t think an unenforceable contract precludes your default rights in your city/state.

Even with a legally enforceable, favorable contract I highly recommend living alone, far from roommates or, if it can be avoided, the majority of human society.*

*A joke (mostly)

Oh poo.

I've been renting a room like this with only a verbal agreement for almost 4 years now. The owner and I get along wonderfully but now I wonder if I need to do something similar.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Turkson wrote: »

*A joke (mostly)

Oh poo.

I've been renting a room like this with only a verbal agreement for almost 4 years now. The owner and I get along wonderfully but now I wonder if I need to do something similar.

It's the new year! Time to make resolutions and also write down legally binding agreements!

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Turkson wrote: »

*A joke (mostly)

Oh poo.

I will not turn this thread about me but I could basically be the poster boy for why you need an agreement for this kind of relationship. My situation is a completely horrific distaster and I may have put myself into a situation where I have to decide whether or not to eat an eviction (which is terrible) or live with some person I detest for the rest of my life, or at least until HE decides he wants to leave (which is also terrible).

Relationships of this sort always end, amicably or otherwise. It’s always good to have something legally binding that defines the terms of that relationship and its dissolution. It protects both parties.

Before my current apartment, my family and eventually I was living downstairs in a two family house. We were on a month-to-month lease for literally two decades. I assumed that lease toward the end. Without getting into specifics, and despite a 20+ year relationship with the owner family, they decided they wanted to sell, they tried to give me less than 30 days notice to vacate (which was illegal and I informed them so), and threatened eviction if I didn’t get out within the 25 days they tried to give me.

20+ years.

That should have taught me not to take relationships for granted. It didn’t I guess. But don’t.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar