As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - All Hail The Algorithm

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited December 2018 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - All Hail The Algorithm

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    Steampunk owl vape is gross and also pretty funny. (vapepunk?)

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The punchline is great, really great

Um, can we get some more Gabe-illustrated Keyforge deck names? Please?

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yeah that punchline is really fucking strong.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I love how Tycho is totally not amused. He knows he is being mocked.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I love how Tycho is totally not amused. He knows he is being mocked.

And he knows it's all accurate.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    This is the first time I've hit a comic comments thread with a bunch of posts and I had to just go and Agree with all of them.

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The vacant, distant eyes of these owls belie their understanding of the vaporous fate that awaits them.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    This was the first great one I found in a quick google search, but there are hundreds more of these, I am sure.
    GTCHT41.jpg

RatherDashing89 on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    The banned decks that are being recalled are just spectacularly bad:
    jy4wdfndkqs9dk3nmqit.jpg

Titanflayer-Farmer-of-Racism-832x447.jpg

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Dark080matterDark080matter CrateriaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    The banned decks that are being recalled are just spectacularly bad
    [...]

Whoa now, you're only half right with the cited images. The Emperor that Pays and Titanflayer the Farmer are deservedly off the streets... HOWEVER!

Wang the Suddenly Bruised and General Bonerider Colt both survived the name purge (you can find them as valid registered decks in the app!). Which is good because I think we can all agree that greater Wang-Awareness is a vital service that Keyforge ought to be performing for the public good.

Dark080matter on
  • Options
    GrahamfGrahamf Registered User regular
    those names sound like they used a generator script...

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Grahamf wrote: »

The game is a bit of a new take on the CCG where each "pack" is actually a randomly generated deck that cannot be altered. In order to guarantee that, each deck has a procedurally generated unique back with a random name.

So, yeah! Whatever script is generating names for them really needs its dictionary pruned. I've even seen a deck name reference Camhub.

• Options
    GuilelessGuileless Registered User regular
    Reading the news post, this really sounds like a fascinating concept.

Also, those owls in panel 1 are on high alert.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Grahamf wrote: »

The game is a bit of a new take on the CCG where each "pack" is actually a randomly generated deck that cannot be altered. In order to guarantee that, each deck has a procedurally generated unique back with a random name.

So, yeah! Whatever script is generating names for them really needs its dictionary pruned. I've even seen a deck name reference Camhub.

Not just Camhub, but The Frauline of Camhub!

There are some rules to the name generator, it's not just chewing on a big list of random words. There are certain words in names which only show up when the deck has this house or that house, for example.

• Options
    In what context does it make sense for Racism to be in the word pool?

• Options
    Dark080matterDark080matter CrateriaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Welcome to algorithmic content creation. It's finally a chance for humanity to test the "monkeys banging on keyboards for eternity" hypothesis. Before we ever reach a mechanical Shakespeare, we'll have to go through the "blind idiot robo-Twitter" era.
    In what context does it make sense for Racism to be in the word pool?

"Racism" was probably not actually in the word pool. More likely is that the name was created using a root of "Race" and an algorithmic word-splicer which could take various nouns and turn them into an "-ism" (or a "-hold", or an "-ality", or an "-osophy", or various other compound words depending on the structural template of the Archon's name). The algorithm probably thought it had come up with a completely original proper noun (like Pineberg or Queenstown). This is just how computers think right now, and engineering out every. single. edge case. that they will come up with when you set an algorithmic creator loose is a fundamentally impossible proposition.

Dark080matter on
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm gonna say allowing The Machine to come up with words from prefixes and suffixes was just an inherently bad idea.