As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Virtual Reality] is like normal reality, but butter

• RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    Wow, Sony shipped almost half a million PSVR units in Q3 (shipped, vs sold). I imagine Q4 PSVR results will be nuts with the insane Black Friday deals they had. Shouldn't be long before they hit 4 million units sold (if they haven't already).

• MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    I wish there was licensed music in Beat Saber.

If you're on PC, you can use the https://bsaber.com/ mod to add custom tracks in. They aren't all golden quality, but it does provide variety.

Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Yeah, Beat Saber on console loses one of its best features, custom music. Oh well.

So does anybody else get crazy drift in PSVR? Google says it could be caused by anything from my walls being too white, picture frames reflecting stuff, the color of my shirt, etc. I hope it's not a defective product.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    If I ever get drift it's because I'm too far away. Super rarely it has to be reset (power off/on the headset) if it's being troublesome.

Haven't really had drift problems in a long time though on psvr

Ditto, drift is rare for me -- depends mostly on the game. For example, the tracking in Surgeon Simulator sucks. I find the Aim controller is susceptible to drift a lot more than the Move controllers.

Try putting the camera on top of the TV? That helped me early on.

• AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Playing with Tilt Brush, it's pretty good... Can't figure out how to carve away part of a brushstroke though, the eraser only seems to be able to get rid of entire strokes. Anyone know how to?

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I can give you advice on how to draw a giant 3d penis. That's the limit of my tiltbrush experience.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    I don't know how to use Tilt Brush, but it is definitely one of the most magical experiences VR has provided so far in terms of "whoa, this feels like a real thing but intellectually I know it can't actually be happening".

I think it's because I can walk around the colourful sort-of-apple-shaped red blob I've made and it's really _there_, somehow; for me, at least, VR things that are really up close are a lot more immersive than giant scenery. (which is why the Oculus robot-in-a-lab demo works so well for me, whereas The Lab's explore-a-mountain didn't).

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Granted it's been a... long time since I've used Tilt Brush, but I didn't think there was any kind of sculpting tools like you're asking about, unfortunately.

Edit: There is the hull brush - https://www.engadget.com/2018/07/13/tilt-brush-game-changer-vr-artists-3d/ - but not really the same thing (it has to be convex)

crimsoncoyote on
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    All right, I dropped the cash on a deluxe audio strap. It should get here this weekend; I'm pretty psyched!

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
    It sounds like my lenses might be delivered today?!

• AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Wow, seems like you really can only erase entire brushstrokes.. It can't be only me that sees that as a pretty glaring omission, when brushstrokes can be as long as you want?

• JormungandrJormungandr Registered User regular
    It sounds like my lenses might be delivered today?!

That's great! I'm curious how they end up working out for you. I was looking into prescription lenses myself, but ended up getting sidetracked. (Also the fact that I can play beat saber without glasses has made it a less urgent issue for me. Turns out the blocks, etc, are large enough and just seeing a blur one of the sides of a colored block is all I really need to be able to know how to proceed without it having to be a clear arrow.)

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Atheraal wrote: »
    Wow, seems like you really can only erase entire brushstrokes.. It can't be only me that sees that as a pretty glaring omission, when brushstrokes can be as long as you want?

As far as I know, tilt brush was never intended to be a powerful set of drawing tools, just a showcase of the possibilities of art in VR.

Dhalphir wrote: »

As far as I know, tilt brush was never intended to be a powerful set of drawing tools, just a showcase of the possibilities of art in VR.

To that end, it really should come free with the headsets.

• Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Yeah but Google doesn't sell the headsets :p Rift (or maybe the Touch) does come with Medium which is free sculpting.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I'm DEFINITELY buying that VR Prey game.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »

it came with the Vive, right? Just not the Rift, because Oculus included their own tools, Quill and Medium.

urahonky wrote: »

It's just an extra escape room level, right?

edited December 2018
    templewulf wrote: »

it came with the Vive, right? Just not the Rift, because Oculus included their own tools, Quill and Medium.

Not mine, I got Fallout 4 VR, viveport for three months, and some other thing I forget

I think they rotate through different free games once in a while

templewulf on
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Rothgarr wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

It's just an extra escape room level, right?

Also a multiplayer human vs mimics mode, I understand. And the escape room thing comes with a VR museum, which could be neater than it sounds - I really liked the character database in Arkham VR.

I never heard of "The Game Awards", but PSVR did very well. All five game nominees were either PSVR exclusives or available on PSVR.

Astro Bot won.

https://www.roadtovr.com/astro-bot-wins-game-awards-best-vr-ar-game-2018/
    https://thegameawards.com/awards/

holy crap
    I put my lenses in last night
    I put my headset on for about a minute and a half because I had dinner finishing and other obligations

it felt incredible

is this how you people without glasses live every day?

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    holy crap
    I put my lenses in last night
    I put my headset on for about a minute and a half because I had dinner finishing and other obligations

it felt incredible

is this how you people without glasses live every day?

You gotta get contacts, my man.

I've tried contacts (not for VR). But I can't. I have a thing about things in my eyes.

I was thinking about getting contacts. I wore them from age 11 to about age 38. At that point I had been married for a number of years, we had kids, and I spent 16 out of every 24 hours in front of a computer so I went back to wearing glasses. Now that I'll be 50 next year and going to the gym at least three times a week I was thinking of getting contacts again since my glasses fog up at the gym. I assume using them for VR will be glorious just as @crimsoncoyote noted above.

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Pshhh, stop messing around and just get some lasers shot in your eye.

steam_sig.png
    edited December 2018
    I was thinking of that, too. My cousin-in-law had it done and loved the results. My father-in-law had it done and they messed it up so he still has to wear glasses.

On top of that, a neighbor had it done and he says it's great, but at night while driving -- he says headlights all look like stars. I'm curious how the lights in the VR headset would look.

I'm really torn.

Rothgarr on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Pshhh, stop messing around and just get some lasers shot in your eye.

Ha! Hahah! Hahahahahaha! :lol:

• ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    I was thinking of that, too. My cousin-in-law had it done and loved the results. My father-in-law had it done and they messed it up so he still has to wear glasses.

On top of that, a neighbor had it done and he says it's great, but at night while driving -- he says headlights all look like stars. I'm curious how the lights in the VR headset would look.

I'm really torn.

I got it done years ago and never regretted it. Best advice: do not cheap out. Lasers in the eyes means you really should get someone who knows what they are doing.

I can use VR whenever I want, but my GF has to get contact'd up, which is a pain. Glasses really do suck for VR.

8R7BtLw.png
    Yeah, getting these lenses was basically the right choice for me.
    <$90 shipped (from Germany no less) in under 2 weeks, I don't have to put things in my eyes or have surgery, and a much more comfortable experience

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Yeah fortunately I've never experienced the "ringed lights at night" thing, but it is a thing that happens to some people. It's been great for me in general; my contacts were starting to dry out with screen intensive stuff so it's been great for VR too.

steam_sig.png
    I've tried contacts (not for VR). But I can't. I have a thing about things in my eyes.

I tried multiple times, but my eyes just won't let me do it. And it's not even a conscious fear or anxiety. I just get constantly frustrated by automatic reactions, like "Come on, eyes, work with me!"

I've had a pretty good experience with the Vive with glasses, though. The padding it ships with has little grooves to accommodate glasses, and even at the closest lens distance, my glasses never touch.

This seems like a good pre-order deal for Ace Combat 7 + Hotas 4 stick.

https://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/ace-combat-7-skies-unknown-with-t-flight-hotas-4-ace-combat-7-edition/171124

$109.99

If I'm looking at the right link, this says it's PC compatible too! http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/tflight-hotas-4

If that works with E:D and Everspace in VR, I might actually bite.

• OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    UploadVR and VRFocus mentioned that Awake: Episode 1 was pretty good, but currently only available for the Vive. It was less than five bucks and there's a refund policy, so I picked it up and it seems to load fine on my Rift. I haven't played yet to see if there's an egregious control issue, although it was super stuttery with my GTX 1070 in the default high resolution mode. Switching to standard fixed that.

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    For what it's worth, I looked into laser eye surgery and potential side effects aside, the most important description anyone gave me was pretty late into the various exams and tests and whatnot, when someone said "it'll be like you have your glasses on all the time".

Which, for me, is not what I want, because nowadays I have to take my glasses _off_ to see small things close up. So now, I put glasses on in the morning and wear them all day, occasionally lifting them up to see things / read small print. Surgery would mean I wouldn't put them on in the morning, but if I do need to see small things I'd need to go and find reading glasses instead. And from my point of view it's easier to remove something I already have on, rather than go and find something I don't. I dunno, lots of people have reading glasses on a chain around their neck or whatever, but I'm _used to_ doing things this way.

For what it's worth, I looked into laser eye surgery and potential side effects aside, the most important description anyone gave me was pretty late into the various exams and tests and whatnot, when someone said "it'll be like you have your glasses on all the time".

Which, for me, is not what I want, because nowadays I have to take my glasses _off_ to see small things close up. So now, I put glasses on in the morning and wear them all day, occasionally lifting them up to see things / read small print. Surgery would mean I wouldn't put them on in the morning, but if I do need to see small things I'd need to go and find reading glasses instead. And from my point of view it's easier to remove something I already have on, rather than go and find something I don't. I dunno, lots of people have reading glasses on a chain around their neck or whatever, but I'm _used to_ doing things this way.

I'm the same way I have to take my glasses off to read small print/close object (even with my transition glasses)

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    It's entirely possible to get corrective eye surgery and still need reading glasses.

EDIT: I suppose I'll weigh in--I have fairly smallish glasses, so they fit pretty easily underneath my Samsung Odyssey. I've never worried about them scratching the lenses (especially since I think they'd simply bounce of if they hit). Occasionally I'll need to make an adjustment, but it's just as possible I'd need to brush an eyelash or strand of hair out from underneath the headset too, so that's not really a "new issue." I'm 32, and thought about getting corrective eye surgery from more than ten years--ultimately, the fact that I can typically make a pair of glasses last between 5 or 10 years now, combined with cost, not having the luxury of optical insurance anymore basically convinced me not look into the procedure even after I was past the age where I my eyes might further change after the surgery. Glasses are just too cheap and convenient given my current circumstances.

For me personally, "VR" isn't a compelling reason to get contacts, much less corrective surgery, by itself. I've been playing video games for more than 25 years, and I've never really had to conform myself in a substantial way to gaming. It should be the other way around, after all. Were I going blind, that would be a different story--but I'd be getting surgery because I was going blind, not for video games, and especially not for VR uniquely.

But preferences towards gaming experience are just as varied as eyeballs, if not more so. I've always put a high value on convenience myself, so this isn't really an exception. If you were already thinking about the surgery, VR, or changing your personal appearance, or not wanting to deal with contact lenses are all perfectly suitable reasons.

Synthesis on
  • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    It's entirely possible to get corrective eye surgery and still need reading glasses.

At least when I had mine done around 8 years ago it wasn't just a possibility, it was an expectation. Not sure if surgery has changed or if it even can change to make a difference but the procedure to correct distance vision does not address the issue that affects people's near vision as they age. The surgeon literally said, "You'll need reading glasses when you're older, there's no way around that."

This discussion has been closed.