As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Streaming Services | Patriot S2 on Amazon, Ballad of Buster Scruggs on Netflix

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Does anyone know how well these smaller streaming services are doing? My hope is that they just fail from lower viewership and then go back to licensing their content to Netflix/Hulu/Amazon.

This is their inevitable fate.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Lost in Space remake is pretty good.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Buster Scruggs was, as most have said, a mix of good and less good.

The only one i didn't really like was Meal Ticket, and even that one had a bit off absurdist charm. But i feel the whole thing would've played better if they'd lopped off some of the weaker stories (Meal Ticket and Gold Valley?) and cut the whole thing down to 100 minutes or so.

The title story, though, was glorious.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Buster Scruggs was, as most have said, a mix of good and less good.

The only one i didn't really like was Meal Ticket, and even that one had a bit off absurdist charm. But i feel the whole thing would've played better if they'd lopped off some of the weaker stories (Meal Ticket and Gold Valley?) and cut the whole thing down to 100 minutes or so.

The title story, though, was glorious.

Which one was meal ticket?

• Options
    edited December 2018
    That was the one with Torso Boy.
    Also, there was a moment in that one where i thought it was going to be revealed that the kid was limbless because they'd been eating him out of desperation.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I kinda liked Gold Valley, it was meditative?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    That was the one with Torso Boy.
    Also, there was a moment in that one where i thought it was going to be revealed that the kid was limbless because they'd been eating him out of desperation.
    Oh. I liked that one until the utterly horrifying ending but then I have a number of friends that are paraplegic so it kinda went "Oh, neat a quadriplegic carved out a niche in a society that would probably kill him and... oh, well that fucking sucks."

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    The one I really think the movie could have done without and not been the lesser would have been the final one. The direction it was heading was.. kind of obvious? Particularly compared to the others. It's a very played story element.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Gold Valley was my favorite one! Tom Waits is a treasure.

• Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    The Gal Who Got Rattled is maybe the most emotional bit of storytelling the Coens have ever made. They are frequently accused of being aloof and not getting into their characters' emotions, but there was no sign of that here.

madparrot on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I’d say you know it’s a good anthology when no one can agree on a definitive ranking.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    I liked Gold Valley, too, and I dug the ending. It's just that some of the pieces needed to go.

Thinking about it, most of the stories had this long, slow build up, and then stuff started happening, and then the story ended, and then you start another story with long, slow build up. So most of the movie is long, slow build up. Two and a quarter hours of that is a bit taxing.

I'd definitely keep Buster, that's a no brainer. Mortal Remains was a little trite, but it was punchy and brisk and full of entertaining performances, so I'd keep it as a palette cleanser, but maybe put it in the middle. I might closer on Girl Who Got Rattled, because it was a powerful piece of storytelling, though it would close the movie on a down note.

The Franco one was another fun bit, and short, so I'd probably keep that.

Meal Ticket and Gold Valley are both like 90% montage, and coming in the middle they just both really drag, even though i liked the story Gold Valley was telling and loved how it closed out.

Maybe I'd lose Meal and organize the rest as:

Buster Scruggs
    Gold Valley
    James Franco Robs a Bank
    Mortal Remains
    Girl

And actually, closing the film out on a shot of the man in black from Scruggs singing a song might have been kinda fun and given it a more upbeat finish and a sense of completeness.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I would have watched a whole movie just about Buster Scruggs

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I’ve watched just the Buster Scruggs part about 20 times already, to the point where the analytics better show a big spike on the first ten minutes of the movie and realize they should make another handful of Scruggs shorts

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Gold Valley was my favorite, next to the Ballad of Buster Scruggs.

There's just something about it. Maybe it's the setting. That little valley is beautiful. I kinda wanna go there.

And dig for gold.

Plus there's the added tension on a re-watch
    when you remember that the gold panner isn't dead. That loooong after shot where the shooter pauses and sits. Rolls a cigarette. Takes a drag. Puts it away.

All the while thinkin' of what incredible pain it must be not to move or cry out or make a sound while he's playin' dead.

RT800 on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I needed a good show to sink a lot of time into, something that had a lot of seasons available, so I finally got around to starting Mad Men.

Most of the first season seemed to be a lot of "Man, didn't society used to be fucked up? Crazy, right?" but I'm nearing the end of the season and I'm starting to get pretty invested in the characters, interested to see where it goes.

I told my girlfriend I started watching it and she was like "Wait, isn't the actress who plays Sabrina in the new one in that show? I remember seeing it on her page while we were watching Sabrina and I looked her up." She's Draper's daughter who's like 8 years old in the show, that was a mindfuck.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Yeah, I thought that young Tonya Harding in I, Tonya was Kiernan Shipka. It was McKenna Grace, who is actually playing Young Sabrina in the Christmas episode.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-6444361/McKenna-Grace-cast-play-younger-Kiernan-Shipka-Netflixs-Chilling-Adventures-Sabrina.html

Also, for next season...

https://youtu.be/SM64ZaS40Xs

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I needed a good show to sink a lot of time into, something that had a lot of seasons available, so I finally got around to starting Mad Men.

Most of the first season seemed to be a lot of "Man, didn't society used to be fucked up? Crazy, right?" but I'm nearing the end of the season and I'm starting to get pretty invested in the characters, interested to see where it goes.

I told my girlfriend I started watching it and she was like "Wait, isn't the actress who plays Sabrina in the new one in that show? I remember seeing it on her page while we were watching Sabrina and I looked her up." She's Draper's daughter who's like 8 years old in the show, that was a mindfuck.

And now rewatch Community and Glow

• Options
    The first episode of GLOW sure did want us to know that this wasn't Annie from Community.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Bogart wrote: »
    Carpy wrote: »
    The first episode of Bodyguard was so tense I stayed you too way late immediately watching the next two. Haven't felt the need to go back to so far because the second episode plot point rubbed me really wrong
    I hate the love story between him and the home secretary. Between the retaliation for the train, his PTSD, distaste for his protectee, and his former comrade running a terrorist cell there was plenty of tension to be mined. Them sleeping together feels so damn hacky and perfunctory.

@Carpy you should watch the rest.

Thanks for the encouragement. Turns out I was only halfway through ep 3. Finished that and 4 yesterday and then 5/6 today. Still think it drags from half way through 2 until the last quarter of 3 but man, once it ramps up again it doesn't let go. Episode 6 was unbelievably intense in spots.
    When he was disarming the vest I was legitimately worried that if it suddenly exploded I was going to bite my tongue.

When Julia had David drive her in secret where did they go? Was it the PM's residence so she could use the compromat? The MPs used a specific name but I don't know enough about English political locations to catch it.

Carpy on
  • Options
    It's a marshmallow world in the winter, but the new netflix additions shouldn't be so sticky!

-8Mile
    -Big Lebowski
    -Christine (!)
    -Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs (and a kids cartoon showed up as well)
    -Friday (the entire Friday trilogy actually but shhhh no trilogy, no trilogy)
    -In the Army Now (!)
    -The Lobster
    -Shaun of the Dead (!)
    -Terminator Salvation

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Carpy wrote: »
    Thanks for the encouragement. Turns out I was only halfway through ep 3. Finished that and 4 yesterday and then 5/6 today. Still think it drags from half way through 2 until the last quarter of 3 but man, once it ramps up again it doesn't let go. Episode 6 was unbelievably intense in spots.
    When he was disarming the vest I was legitimately worried that if it suddenly exploded I was going to bite my tongue.

When Julia had David drive her in secret where did they go? Was it the PM's residence so she could use the compromat? The MPs used a specific name but I don't know enough about English political locations to catch it.

I think they said Chequers, which is the PM's official country residence (i.e. a nice big house in the country in which the PM can hold more informal talks, rather than the cabinet offices or Downing Street).

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I'm on episode 2 of Bodyguard so far.

My only real complaint is that I hate when shows decide that everything should be kinda perpetually dim and grey. Like it feels like it is overcast in every scene. Even indoors.

Then again I guess it is set in London.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I'm on episode 2 of Bodyguard so far.

My only real complaint is that I hate when shows decide that everything should be kinda perpetually dim and grey. Like it feels like it is overcast in every scene. Even indoors.

Then again I guess it is set in London.

British broadcast politicial eurothrillers have cornered the market on gloomy since their inception. I think only the Swedes do it better, and that usually involves the added bonus of a grisly murder in a small town on the edge of the world.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    It's a marshmallow world in the winter, but the new netflix additions shouldn't be so sticky!

-8Mile
    -Big Lebowski
    -Christine (!)
    -Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs (and a kids cartoon showed up as well)
    -Friday (the entire Friday trilogy actually but shhhh no trilogy, no trilogy)
    -In the Army Now (!)
    -The Lobster
    -Shaun of the Dead (!)
    -Terminator Salvation

Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon is on Netflix today.

Time for my yearly-ish rewatch!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    The Lobster is a great and deeply uncomfortable movie

Highly recommended for fans of movies or fans of being deeply uncomfortable

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    So I watched the first episode of the latest season of Doctor Who and was underwhelmed by it. And then I thought to myself, you know, I don't think I'm really a Doctor Who fan so much as a fan of what Russell T Davies did with Doctor Who back when he was showrunner. So instead of watching more DW I realized I needed to seek out more of RTD's work. And I found out he did a short miniseries about a real life scandal in the 1970s involving an evil gay closeted politician and murder, and I'm like, yessss, this is 100% relevant to my interests.

yvu7lxalxyd2.jpeg

A Very English Scandal is very good! It's funny, it's got pathos. Hugh Grant is brilliant in it. It touches on all sorts of interesting themes, including the perennial disconnect between older and younger members of the LGBT community. It's timely - the court scenes kept making me think of the Kavanaugh hearings. It's got delightful dialogue like this:
    [over breakfast, Marion is questioning Jeremy about his "Bunnies can - and will - go to France" love letter to Norman Scott which has just been published in the newspapers]
    Marion Thorpe: "Bunnies"?
    Jeremy Thorpe: Technically he was "Bunny", singular.
    Marion Thorpe: Then why did you say "Bunnies"? Were there two of you? Are *you* a Bunny? Am I married to a Bunny?
    Jeremy Thorpe: No, I was using a generic noun in an imperative clause.
    Marion Thorpe: Well, thank God it's grammatically correct.

And, as an added bonus, while I presume that the scandal is well known in the UK, since I'm American I had no idea how things were going to turn out.

Highly recommended. In America it's streaming on Amazon Prime: https://www.amazon.com/Very-English-Scandal-Season/dp/B07D3DFM34

wandering on
  • Options
    That's Phoenix Buchannan and Paddington Brown!

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    I absolutely adored The Lobster and cannot wait to watch it again

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Made it 26 minutes through Buster Scruggs. Yup, that ended just about the way you all said it would.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2018
    A Very English Scandal is one of the best bits of telly from the last decade or so. Hugh Grant is absolutely incredible in it. The scene at the end
    where he remembers the other lovers he's had and explains simply and heartbreakingly why he loved Ben Wishaw is a beautiful piece of writing and storytelling.

It's also gloriously funny.

Bogart on
  • Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    A show about immigrants fleeing their homes in search of a better life and doing battle with a fascist dictator? Yes please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3gQ117IKkM

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Nope. Saw the cartoon way too young. Don't need high def nightmares lol.

Won't even watch trailer, too scared

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Hulu has made a streaming agreement with Funimation to start in 2019, and while they mention first rights streaming that makes it seem like other places can get the shows, just after a matter of undisclosed time.

What makes me worry, outside of Hulu just buying rights because they have Papa Disney’s money, is that it makes me wonder if they won’t just push Sony (Funimations owner) into the whole endeavor with ABC/NBC/Fox, basically just have Hulu absorb Crackle and Sony TV, which makes this even greater beast that must be slain.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    the anime wars have began!

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Nope. Saw the cartoon way too young. Don't need high def nightmares lol.

Won't even watch trailer, too scared

I skimmed the trailer on my phone and didn't see anything that indicates it will be remotely as brutal as the original animation.

I'm actually kind of disappointed.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I binged Maniac and god damn I liked it and Emma Stone is an incredible actor holy shit

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    I binged Maniac and god damn I liked it and Emma Stone is an incredible actor holy shit

Jonah Hill was also pretty fantastic. Loved maniac, one of my favourite series of recent times. Just such a great mix of... well, basically everything I like.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »

Jonah Hill was also pretty fantastic. Loved maniac, one of my favourite series of recent times. Just such a great mix of... well, basically everything I like.
    I would recommend it to most of my friends, If it wasn't for the gangster elements, specifically:
    heads getting drilled out in a bloody fashion.

That limits the audience I feel. My girlfriend would not really like those parts.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Hulu has made a streaming agreement with Funimation to start in 2019, and while they mention first rights streaming that makes it seem like other places can get the shows, just after a matter of undisclosed time.

What makes me worry, outside of Hulu just buying rights because they have Papa Disney’s money, is that it makes me wonder if they won’t just push Sony (Funimations owner) into the whole endeavor with ABC/NBC/Fox, basically just have Hulu absorb Crackle and Sony TV, which makes this even greater beast that must be slain.

I just started a Funimation account.

Oops.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
This discussion has been closed.