As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Marvel Comics Thread Featuring Caving to Neo-Nazis and Wrongful Termination!

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i really, really, really need to read judas

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Spider-Ham eating a hot dog is cannibalism.

Hey. Want to know the hilarious secret of Spider-Ham that contradicts this?

(not a spoiler for the movie)
    In the comics, Peter Porker is a spider that was bitten by a radioactive pig, not the other way around

wh

why is his name peter porker

His owner named him

Its a pun

Porker is not a pun for a
    spider

But it is

For pig???

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

In the comics, Peter Porker is a spider that was bitten by a radioactive pig, not the other way around

wh

His owner named him

Its a pun

spider

But it is

For pig???

Right, but why would a spider have a pig pun for a name? That was the point.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

wh

His owner named him

Its a pun

spider

But it is

For pig???

this has already been resolved thanks

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Can I just say the action in that short clip still looks amazing.

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Okay but who bit Spiders-Man?

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Okay but who bit Spiders-Man?

This is actually explained in Vault of Spiders 2 and is deeply tragic

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Die, the new Keiron Gillen/Stephanie Hans book launched today

It lives up to the sales pitch "Gothic Horror Jumanji" to a tee

It's dripping with atmosphere, has a fantastic sense of dread and seems really really promising

One thing I am a little worried about, but not nearly as much as I would be in the hands of almost any other big comics writer than Gillen, is
    the lead character Dominic, identifies as male and played a female character in the game world they got stuck in for 2 years. They don't get heavily into it, because it is the first issue, but the impression I got is that they have a buttload of repressed gender identity issues stemming from the event and the fact that Dominic was literally unable to speak about their time in the world or anything from it due to a curse so they had absolutely no way to try and process what happened externally.

Gillen has always seemed like a pretty vocal ally and someone who listens to LGBTQ voices in how representation should occur but since he isn't actually part of the group in question with this story beat there is always potential that it could go bad. Hopefully he pulls it off and tells a very good story!

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    WicDiv turned me way off. Is it more that mode, or something new?

It's definitely different than WicDiv

WicDiv is very...clever? It feels very modern and chic and stylish and that flair is a large part of the book's tone and presentation

Die is a straight up gothic horror story. The playful banter and flair is gone and replaced with creeping dread and drama.

It's still absolutely gorgeous, though

CYpGAPn.png
    edited December 2018
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    It's definitely different than WicDiv

WicDiv is very...clever? It feels very modern and chic and stylish and that flair is a large part of the book's tone and presentation

Die is a straight up gothic horror story. The playful banter and flair is gone and replaced with creeping dread and drama.

It's still absolutely gorgeous, though
    Let's say I think it thought it was clever and leave it at that. My other issues with it we don't need to go into.

If this is more straightforward, maybe I will check it out.

I will probably let it go a bit to see whether I want to or not.

I forgot how gorgeous the covers were, yes

Fencingsax on
    edited December 2018
    A spoiler for Captain Marvel seemingly got out via the toyline announcement
    The Nick Fury toy comes with an accessory of Goose, Carol's cat, standing upright in some heavy duty arm, leg and mouth restraints.

In the comics her cat, Chewie, is actually a Flerken, which resemble Earth cats.

I wonder if that's gonna be the case or if it's, like, a Skrull

When Marvel revealed the toyline themselves earlier today, they removed the spoiler-y bit from the image.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    The Nick Fury toy comes with an accessory of Goose, Carol's cat, standing upright in some heavy duty arm, leg and mouth restraints.

In the comics her cat, Chewie, is actually a Flerken, which resemble Earth cats.

I really hope that all it is is Fury thinks it's a Skrull but it's not it's just a normal cat and it's pissed off about being in those restraints

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular

I really hope that all it is is Fury thinks it's a Skrull but it's not it's just a normal cat and it's pissed off about being in those restraints
    Then the misunderstanding is cleared up, they take the cat our of the restraints, and... well, that's why Fury wears an eyepatch now.

Marvel very quietly announced a 5 issue Darth Vader miniseries, Dark Visions, from Dennis Hopeless and Paolo Villanelli

So if you're keeping track it took roughly 2 months for Marvel to replace the book they cancelled when they fired Chuck Wendig for bullshit reasons

CYpGAPn.png
    And what a shock it's Hopeless

Fencingsax wrote: »
    Wait what does that mean? Hopeless doesn't have any history I'm aware of outside of making some comics some folks didnt enjoy.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

I'd say Marvel is hopeless at this point.

Heyoooooo

edited December 2018
    Wait what does that mean? Hopeless doesn't have any history I'm aware of outside of making some comics some folks didnt enjoy.

I thought he said something along the lines of keeping politics out of art at some point, but it's hard to keep track of which douchebag did what

Fencingsax on
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Honestly I'm not really pissed at Hopeless or Villanelli

They're working for-hire artists and have bills to pay, and the book, while starring Vader, is a different premise and actual title than Wendig's pitch

Now Marvel Editorial on the other hand should be ashamed at having the gall to order up a replacement Vader miniseries after only 2 months. They couldn't even be bothered to just do a mini of literally ANY OTHER STAR WARS CHARACTER

CYpGAPn.png
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

There is a scene in that movie involving a rocket launcher that still makes me laugh just thinking about it.

• never dienever die Registered User regular

I thought he said something along the lines of keeping politics out of art at some point, but it's hard to keep track of which douchebag did what

He might have, but I would be a little surprised considering his last run on an X-book involved him writing a plot of young Bobby going on dates with dudes and had a big ole full page spread when he finally got to kiss a boy he liked. So it would be weird considering the crowd who want to keep "politics" out of comics would very much not be okay with that.

On another note, the X-Men Holiday Special is very, very good! The set-up is each day of December, up to the 25th, is its own page with a different artist and writer, so one page stories. Highlights for me include:
    Iceman's White elephant gift exchange for the x-teens

A wordless page of Glob Herman setting up mistletoe to try and get someone to kiss him

Beast being outdone by Dr. Nemesis when he tries to give Dr. Rao an 8-DVD collector's set of Star Wars movies, and then Dr. Nemesis gives her an original script of The Last Jedi , signed by Daisy Ridley and Mark Hamill

Nightcrawler giving Old Man Logan a framed portrait of himself, in a callback to decades ago when Wolverine did the same to Nightcrawler

Cannonball running into a Shi'ar parody of the Christians upset over Merry Christmas being changed to Happy Holidays

A cute pay-off to the X-23 storyline about the Cuckoos with Mindee giving Gabby a Secret Santa gift

A sweet and sad scene where Beast is in his old bedroom at his parent's house and hears his parents talking about him

Magneto having a conversation with some abandoned mutant kids about the meaning of Hannukkah

I really liked it.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

There is a scene in that movie involving a rocket launcher that still makes me laugh just thinking about it.

It's literally the only part of the movie I remember

• THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular

wh

His owner named him

Its a pun

spider
    No it's a pun for May Porker, the animal AU version of May Parker who is a pig what got irradiated and bit the spider, Peter.

Like the entire crux of the joke of Spider-Ham is it's a complete inversion of how this stuff normally goes and it's frankly the gonzo detail that makes it work for me.
    I'm just imagining Mulaney explaining this in-character and I cannot wait for this movie

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png

It's literally the only part of the movie I've seen.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I remember Wayne Knight being a decent Micro

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Black Panther has been nominated for best picture (Golden Globes)

edited December 2018
    war zone rules

jigsaw's ridiculous goon recruitment speech in front of an american flag is the high water mark for comic book villainy on screen

https://youtu.be/DHJlTIQR1os

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular

It's literally the only part of the movie I've seen.

Remember this

https://youtube.com/watch?v=oQImotdVzpk

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I think my favorite fact about Warzone is that Marvel sent Alexander all these cheaply-made reprints of Punisher comics with simplified colors and she said to her DP "Let's make it look like this."

So Ultimate Alliance 3 was just announced, and Lockjaw is in it, and implied to be a playable character

wait what

6vjsgrerts6r.png

wait what
    Its being developed by Team Ninja and is Switch exclusive
    https://youtu.be/1RohG-JzXiM

CYpGAPn.png
    what

6vjsgrerts6r.png

AJ we are playing this

CYpGAPn.png
    This is why you don't give an exclusive license to fucking EA

edited December 2018
    god

the legends/ultimate alliance games were a thousand percent my shit and i am so glad they are back

at least for one more go

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Kanden wrote: »
    Only cannibalism if it's made of another cartoon. He's a cartoon pig, pig is an adjective
    wait what
    Its being developed by Team Ninja and is Switch exclusive
    https://youtu.be/1RohG-JzXiM

I really like the Film-Inspired comic book middle-ground designs they have going on here.

That shit looks real good.

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    I call cap

ikbUJdU.jpg
This discussion has been closed.