As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Astera Fest: Catch 'em all.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    So apparently AT Vaal Hazak will be on PC next week. How big of a step up is it compared to Tempered Vaal?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    So apparently AT Vaal Hazak will be on PC next week. How big of a step up is it compared to Tempered Vaal?

Big. It’s one of the harder ATs. Bring Divine Blessing.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Tempered Vaal is right difficult and also feels like a completely different fight. Much more aggressive, much less likely to run from you except to lead you into increasingly dangerous areas.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    GONG-00 wrote: »

Big. It’s one of the harder ATs. Bring Divine Blessing.

Crossing fingers that I have those decorations.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Don't know how I'm going to get behemoth, the winter star and AT Magdos grinding done before Friday but HERE GOES NOTHING.

*jumps out of van like Charlie from Its Always Sunny*

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    a new festival armor for new years (!!) got datamined and that shit is actually really good

a medium slot and two small slots on every piece

head: crit boost 1
    chest: crit draw 1
    arm: max might 1
    waist: slinger capacity (boo)
    legs: divine protection (eh)

also another reskinned flag lance that is also bad

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I wonder if I can solo AT Zorah...
    i think i actually did this

it's fairly straightforward tbh, you just need to repel nergi ASAP

between the dragonator and heavy artillery you do plenty of damage

Elendil on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Was playing with the wide-range, fast eater, mushroomancer build yesterday. Very handy in keeping the team mates alive while they seemingly frolic in Kulve Taroths Lava vomit.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    The hell? Did they nerf bandit mantle?

Did triple threat takedown with my dual blades and the amount of gold drops were pitiful.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Klatu wrote: »
    More AT attempts more deaths.

1 AT Lunastra attempt, got the kill, turns out I don't need Gamma Luna stuff.
    3 solo AT Vaal attempts, 3 deaths. 2 attempts in group 2 deaths. AT vaal wasn't meant to be. All I really need is 2 kills on him, but can't get em. More would be nice though.
    1 more AT Kirin attempt, I didn't die at all, but that doesn't stop grouped people from carting. Fail.

I might just equip my horn and go hunting Kushala, give people wind resist and let them do the work for me >_< while buffing and healing people. I only need Kush chest ? I think...

I don't think AT monsters were meant for me :(

What time do you usually play man? I’d be happy to hop on tonight to help

I think my Sunday morning, which is about 4PM EST Saturday for you will work out, if you're on board with that.

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    my quest for mini crown kushula went on tonight

i am sorry for anyone i have subjected to my endless runs to

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Ugh, that time is approaching for me as well (crown hunting). So far I've gotten a few without effort, and I'm hoping that by the time I actively start hunting them for the plat trophy, I will have gotten a decent number. Yesterday I finished the HR 100 quest and the final optional quest (other than 9* behemoth optional) for the rainbow pigment.

• Options
    mini kush

mini and giant kirin

then i can finally rest my GS and watch the sunrise on a grateful universe

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    i got a pretty great big dick AT Kirin kill imo, proud of myself for somehow shaving 4 mins off my previous kill time

no aerial cheese or w/e but some sliding and 2 sets of sleep mega barrel bombs

unknown.png?width=1025&height=568

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    What exactly are Crowns? I assume it’s a monster that is bigger/smaller than average. Aside from events, how do I get them, and aside from achievements, do they have any use?

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Two types of crowns, silver and gold. Silver crowns are in the large or small 10% (I'm guessing % level, but for the sake of this lets call it 10%), but not the largest the game can throw at you. Gold crowns are among the largest the game has of that type of creature. Some are easy to get from events, the double odogoron fight in the arena comes to mind, or the FF event bird... fuck that bird so much.. >_<

Apparently, either from hearsay or research, people say that the 1-2 faint 15min investigations that have at least 1 silver and 1 gold reward are your best bet for mini crowns, and 2 silver and 2 gold 50 min investigations are your best bet for large. I'm not sure if that's true but it seems to be reddit hearsay.

edit: if there is too much misinformation in this or if someone posts more reliable stuff, I'll trash this post so as not to spread bad info :D

Klatu on
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    You’re not wrong, but I’d focus on quests with at least one gold rewards, and other modifiers like you said (15-30 minutes, fewer faints). Those usually have higher chances for smaller or bigger monsters. Like you said there is a lot of conflicting info about them. I’ve seen save scumming be said to work and not work for them so who knows.

Besides achievements, there isn’t any other reason to get them.

... I think I still need Gold crown Lunastra, ew 😜

Naphtali on
  • Options
    AT Zorah down! That wasn't too bad, really. Did it with about five minutes to spare, and that's after it destroyed two cannons with its charge blast because I forgot where the one-shot binders were

I can see doing that a few more times. Will need to bring Temporal Mantle (for the cores) and Rocksteady Mantle (for Nergigante) but otherwise it all feels pretty clean!

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    What are some good event quests to do for new-to-high-rank gear? Should I bother with the Santa outfit, or focus on Zorah Magdaros armor instead?

• Options
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    my quest for mini crown kushula went on tonight

i am sorry for anyone i have subjected to my endless runs to
    dang i need that crown too

should have logged on

• Options
    ill be grinding it again tonight! always in the pa lobby

after today im off to POE again~

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    live with more crown farming (cmon kushula!)

https://www.twitch.tv/frawrst/

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    he's being a real dick about this crown

• Options
    =[

that was about 4 hours of kush runs

no mini kush

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    oh hey

MHW won best rpg? (i think) at TGA

it was also in the running for GoTY

MHW is my personal GOTY this year, and i am happy that it was so well received

there are rumors of a new announcement in JP later this month, so hopefully a good reason to dive back in

(i will get you mini kush!)

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I don't think I can put in 520+ hours into something and not have it be my goty.

Yep mhw is mine.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    I just love how I can drop in a do something even if I have no time to commit to something.

Hit a point where I am poor in money and research points.

Put together a gathering set last night in order to farm research points. Too much melding items, safari's, fertilizers and food has me too low.

Money just comes and goes and since I hit the cap I need more upgrades on my armors and then to make next level weapons and stuff.
    Is there a quest that is the best money for effort?

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    The best way to get money is equipping the bandit mantle and going into a multi-monster hunt in the arena, but someone said it seems to have been nerfed, would still need to confirm that.

Another option is finding an investigation with a relatively easy monster that has a high zenny reward modifier, and using a voucher for double zenny.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I just sell excess monster parts. Easy Peasy. But I guess it is more difficult for folks to figure out what to sell/keep if they haven't played a Monster Hunter game before.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I look for Great Jagras or Tzizi-Ya-Ku Investigations, I can kill them in under 2:30 as they both spawn pretty close to southern camps - in their respective zones. If you use a voucher it doubles up the rewards to around 10k. Selling their parts off gets around 20-25k. For me that's anywhere from 25 - 35k every lets say 5 mins (at most) including load times etc. I don't bother eating meals and just reset at the camp rather than go back to town each time.

With the bandit mantle on, of course :D

Klatu on
  • Options
    Picture dump.

Thanks to Naphtali for my first AT Vaal kill.
    ficvi2l6voau.jpg

After I took a break to have lunch and do some other stuff, I tried to solo again.
    x8r5biv6m2ue.jpg

And then again:
    ap4gk50s2m8c.jpg

Almost at my final form for this lance build.
    6pv9u3ba5t2e.jpg

2veeozmnahhw.jpg

I still haven't found a god damn lance stone to augment the lance. I'll put health regen in it when I do to be extra unkillable. For the empty slots in the pic, I just use them to 'spec' for whatever I'm fighting for now. Teostra? Fire res gems. Kirin, lighting etc.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Y'all World people better pack your hot drinks...

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Apparently Iceborne will include the quest rank that comes after High Rank, and in terms of content it's being compared to G or Ultimate versions of past titles

That's cool

Less cool is that all Kulve Taroth is now AT Kulve Taroth and she has another tier of even more RNG weapons

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    So I'm not the only one who totally called this right?

I remember playing with my friend a couple weeks after the game came out, and pretty much saying "man, just give me a snow area and like 5 new monsters and I'll buy that dlc Capcom"

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    What I'm surprised about is how early they've announced it.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Wooooooooooooooooooo

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    it does make me wonder if we're actually getting anymore monsters until the expansion

what on earth could they possibly do to keep the game active for another year until the expansion

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    I'm just a little worried that "new quest rank" just means 10 star. They did say as big as g-rank or ultimate versions, but that could just mean as many new monsters/areas as those versions added.

No stopping my hype train for Nargacuga and what adding his skeleton/moveset means for other monsters they are adding.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    So it sounds like for those who own MHW you will be able to buy the expansion like normal and for those who do not own MHW the expansion will come bundled with the base game.

Also PC players will get the expansion at a later date. Sad, but not too surprising.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeM7d7ktex4&amp;feature=youtu.be skip to 9:56

AT Kulve Taroth (new "enraged mode" that can be triggered before her coat comes off, and if you manage it you can get a new tier of rewards above gold and new weapons from them, all existing weapons still available. new Gamma KT armor as well. Dec 19th to Jan 3rd)
    Appreciation Event (more details to come. Handler costume, poogie costume, palico outfit, Gala Armor, and new quests)
    Witcher 3 Collaboration
    AT Nergi (Spring 2019, apparently going to be more than just a normal AT)

AT Nergi marks the end of 'major' updates planned (read: free).

Iceborne expansion Autumn 2019 (paid expansion)
    • G Rank/Ultimate type expansion
    • new locals
    • new story (continues from end of main campaign)
    • new monsters

Trial Version of the game (basically free to play up to HR 4 and 3* quests, and can play with other players for free online) from December 11th to 17th