As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Legend of Zelda] Link's Awakening remake coming to Switch in 2019

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Is there any reason to avoid the dlc for botw during a first playthrough? Like does it drop a bunch of OP gear and a motorcycle on your noggin when you step out of the opening cutscene or anything

BahamutZERO.gif
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Nah, it's either hard as Hell or only unlockable after finishing the four divine beasts. No reason to avoid it in any case unless you're just trying to do Trial of the Sword early and break the weapon economy; but if you do that, you want to do that and have also earned it

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    The mental image of a bunch of armor and a motorcycle falling on your head the moment you step out of the cave is pretty amusing

BahamutZERO.gif
    Some of the DLC armor is dope, like the Phantom armor, but they also can't be upgraded so they stop being quite as useful once you become able to upgrade armor more than once

And you do have to actually search for all of it; only the most useless (like the Switch t-shirt) is just out there in the open for you

dN0T6ur.png
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Some of the DLC armor is dope, like the Phantom armor, but they also can't be upgraded so they stop being quite as useful once you become able to upgrade armor more than once

Mostly true, but Majora's Mask remains extremely useful throughout the entire game, including (I dare say especially) when exploring the interior of Hyrule Castle.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    The thing about the Trial of the Sword is that it has an effect on everything except the Divine Beasts and final boss area.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Is there any reason to avoid the dlc for botw during a first playthrough? Like does it drop a bunch of OP gear and a motorcycle on your noggin when you step out of the opening cutscene or anything
    Was the ancient horse saddle DLC?

If so, get that shit immediately. Horses are annoying to keep track of without it, with the saddle you can just teleport them straight to you from anywhere when you whistle.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Was the ancient horse saddle DLC?

If so, get that shit immediately. Horses are annoying to keep track of without it, with the saddle you can just teleport them straight to you from anywhere when you whistle.

Yeah it's in the dlc

BahamutZERO.gif
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Been getting back into this game lately after being distracted from it by a steady stream of good stuff.

Tonight, I decided I wasn't going to do anything intense. No difficult quests, maybe not even any shrines. I was just going to hunt and cook and sell the meat, just build up my bank account. A nice zen night.

Now I'm
    looking to find a cake for this little girl so she doesn't starve? Am I supposed to make a cake, or find one? This quest is not giving me much guidance, but I gotta save this little girl.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Augh, this game has been excellent and avoided any overt bullshit for like twenty+ hours. Finally hit a "why the fuck did you do this" moment, Gerudo-beast related
    The Yiga Clan hideout is forced stealth? I tried to go loud just to see, and with having both Mipha's Grace up and like ten fairies in my bag when I died I hard died. Fun, silently shut off certain mechanics to force me to use certain other mechanics in a game that had otherwise been super fun explicitly by letting you solve things in a million different ways.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    You can go loud there. It's not easy, and you have to be good at the combat and be willing to use your bullet time arrow shots very, very liberally, but you can

dN0T6ur.png
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    uh

no it's nonsense

there's no reason that everything should one shot you, and the few times the game puts you in one shot you die mode (the other one being with the one DLC) is awful and bad and shouldn't have happened

edited December 2018
    I wasn't making a comment on whether it was well-designed or congruous with the rest of the game

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    definitely Learned A Thing that if I'm gonna do it I save the buff ones for very last, bc sneak attacks do jack shit to them

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I wasn't making a comment on whether it was well-designed or congruous with the rest of the game

i'm not mad at you man

i'm mad at the game

still mad at it for that moment

but GOTY for the rest of it

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Going loud in the yiga hideout is my favorite combat encounter in the game, it felt like what fighting through wind waker's hyrule castle felt like as a kid

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

i'm not mad at you man

i'm mad at the game

still mad at it for that moment

but GOTY for the rest of it

Sneaking through there as intended is tedious.

Going in there with a bow that shoots three arrows at a time and a ton of bomb arrows, just dodging and blowing away everything that appears, is ultra fun.

I did the latter.

Hexmage-PA on
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    wind waker's hyrule castle felt like as a kid

I'm gonna curl up and die of old age now.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    I only went loud in one room during my Master Mode playthrough

Next time I play the game I'm just going to be done with stealth from the start and turn the whole building into a running sequence of concussive shockwaves and screaming banana-men

dN0T6ur.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah that part was easily my least favorite part in any game. I don't have the reaction time to do it not-silently, and going stealth in any video game is horribly unfun for me.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I died a bunch getting through it, but by the end I definitely learned a lot about the combat.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Couldn't you just roll in with a couple dozen ancient arrows and be done?

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I abandoned my master mode playthrough when I realized it's too hard to become overpowered, which is my goal for the late game. The problem is starting s third,normal playthrough made me lose a lot of steam, doing so much of the same content again. I never did Champions ballad, but it'll take some time getting to that point.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Septus wrote: »
    I abandoned my master mode playthrough when I realized it's too hard to become overpowered, which is my goal for the late game. The problem is starting s third,normal playthrough made me lose a lot of steam, doing so much of the same content again. I never did Champions ballad, but it'll take some time getting to that point.

Rush the Barbarian outfit, or the Fierce Deity Costume if you have the amiibo. Upgrades for both are just Lynels, Hinoxen, and dragon parts, so you can get to tier 3+ pretty quickly now that you know where to find those enemies. Then run down to the jungle and pick up a dozen durians to cook up.

Permanent boost to weapon damage means you kill enemies faster and get more use out of every weapon, and each cooked Durian will give you an extra health bar.

I wouldn't call it too hard to become overpowered in Master Mode—it takes longer, and enemy ceiling is of course higher, but you can still tear gold enemies to shreds in seconds if you know what you're doing

Getting to the point where you can see multiple golds and go "I got this" feels very satisfying

dN0T6ur.png
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Master Mode has a fairly serious problem/flaw though. You ever read any stories people have, like "I pushed a boulder off a cliff and it killed a moblin, and then I lit the grass on fire and killed the other!" and other bits of cool emergent gameplay? Yeah that can't really happen in Master Mode because of the regenerating health. You can try it, but their health will just come right back. So every fight starts and ends the same out of simple requirement: a bog standard melee, with perhaps more emphasis on offense, lest you dally too long and they start regenerating.

The mode otherwise isn't really that hard. The plateau is an amazing game changing experience, and at the very least everybody should play that, because it really does feel like a new game. The rest of the game quickly evens out though once you start amassing weapons and armor.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited December 2018
    Probably my favorite bit of emergent gameplay opportunities is trying to put a metal weapon on a hinox's stomach to trigger a lightning strike during a storm.

Haven't successfully pulled it off yet but thats going to be one hell of a way to wake up.

Dr. Chaos on
    I discovered that you can use elemental weapons to cool down/heat up completely by accident--I just happened to be using a flamesword when I found the northern labyrinth, and when I stopped to mine something I was suddenly freezing. 'twas neat.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    I once melted a shrine out of a block of ice by dropping a flame sword on the floor and waiting.

Master Mode has a fairly serious problem/flaw though. You ever read any stories people have, like "I pushed a boulder off a cliff and it killed a moblin, and then I lit the grass on fire and killed the other!" and other bits of cool emergent gameplay? Yeah that can't really happen in Master Mode because of the regenerating health. You can try it, but their health will just come right back. So every fight starts and ends the same out of simple requirement: a bog standard melee, with perhaps more emphasis on offense, lest you dally too long and they start regenerating.

The mode otherwise isn't really that hard. The plateau is an amazing game changing experience, and at the very least everybody should play that, because it really does feel like a new game. The rest of the game quickly evens out though once you start amassing weapons and armor.

I wouldn't call that a flaw, just a difference in terms of how it's approached. Crowd control becomes much more important, as do elemental combos, and you'll be looking a lot more seriously at any options that lets you drown enemies. And sometimes you'll just go "nah not today" and leave. And that's fine!

Having fewer viable options is just a consequence of the design, but i don't think that makes it bad.

dN0T6ur.png
    Oh yeah, so I've noticed how water enemies get blasted by electric, fire enemies by ice, and ice enemies by fire. Do electric enemies have a weakness? Logically I'd say water from that cycle, but I don't think you have any water-based attacks at your disposal in this game.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Electric enemies don't really have weaknesses, though they can be set on fire or frozen just like standard enemies

dN0T6ur.png
    Electric enemies are mortal. Which makes them vulnerable to death.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

I wouldn't call that a flaw, just a difference in terms of how it's approached. Crowd control becomes much more important, as do elemental combos, and you'll be looking a lot more seriously at any options that lets you drown enemies. And sometimes you'll just go "nah not today" and leave. And that's fine!

Having fewer viable options is just a consequence of the design, but i don't think that makes it bad.

I'd call it a flaw just because those options can be super fun and interesting, and it's a bit of a bummer they're not viable anymore. It can also make the game harder too (well, fuckin' duh). One of the ways people suggest when dealing with hard enemies is to soften them up with those options. Something you'd probably want to do on the mode where everything gets a rank boost, so it's more vexing when you can't do it.

I guess the real main takeaway from all this is... don't play Master Mode on your first playthrough. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited December 2018
    You can actually get around health regen with fire effects and the like, or doing ice/water + electric attacks

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    This game has allot of extra shit, doesn't it?

Krathoon on
    "oh hey, it shows how much your friends have played their games. Do they have that for me to?"

[BotW: 60+ hours since Black Friday]

...good thing I had to bump it out of storage for Smash.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    I just met Sidon for the first time and I'm all like

https://youtu.be/DMMgV6iOuuQ

BahamutZERO.gif
    edited December 2018
    The weird fish people always seem to have a thing for Link.

Zora ladies just can't not fall in love with him for some reason. He's like this pink dry forbidden man fruit.

Dr. Chaos on
  • physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    I beat The Master Trials for the first time last night. I had to use a guide (I'm getting too old for this...), but the last couple of floors were still pretty tense. Surprisingly, I died on the beginner trials way more often than I did on the middle and final trials combined. I can now proceed with my second play-through (3 out 4 Divine Beasts down, 60+ shrines left) and maybe even finally tackle the Champions Ballad.

Also, I never realized how trivial fighting a stalker guardian is if you just keep stunning it with arrows to the eye.

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc