As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Path of Exile]Betrayal League December 7th

• Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited December 2018
    Think I might try WOrb totems, to start.

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    The best part of that official artwork is that it forgot about Leo, much like everyone who plays this game

This was my first league knowing he was even a master you could level up.

• Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    Koreg wrote: »
    I think that I'm going full cold this time.

Going to use a Cameria's Avarice in one hand, and Cospri's in the other.

The Cospri will get Winter Orb - GMP - Decreased Duration. Then I'm going to goof around to get Ice Spear/Ice Nova to work on a CoC build with Frost Blades, a movement skill, or one of the new Impale skills. Aiming for a cold version of molten strike that melts GPU with projectiles everywhere

Do channeling skills work in trigger items like Cospri, Mjolner, or poet's pen?

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Do we think multiple applications of impale each provide their own debuffs or just combine stacks?
    I.e. all 5 projectiles from lancing steel proc impale, is that 5 different applications of impale each with 5 hits or one application with 25 hits.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Coldsnap Tulfall Assassin, just keep making Power charges to make Frenzy charges to make power charges FORREVERRR and I feel like damage will just appear with 10000000 coldsnaps on the ground.

Does anyone know if Coldsnap aoe damage overlaps?

Another random idea:

CoC Ice shot + Arctic breath in a Reach of the Council

Pacificstar on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Do we think multiple applications of impale each provide their own debuffs or just combine stacks?
    I.e. all 5 projectiles from lancing steel proc impale, is that 5 different applications of impale each with 5 hits or one application with 25 hits.

I believe it's 5 applications that each have 5 hits. And I'm guessing you'll only have 1 hit left on your initial impale after the attack is over.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Rius wrote: »
    Cold Snap aoes do not overlap

RIP

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular

The Cospri will get Winter Orb - GMP - Decreased Duration. Then I'm going to goof around to get Ice Spear/Ice Nova to work on a CoC build with Frost Blades, a movement skill, or one of the new Impale skills. Aiming for a cold version of molten strike that melts GPU with projectiles everywhere

they do not unfortunately

it kinda makes sense. the only time a channeling spell qualifies as a "cast" is on the initial use. since you have to channel for a certain amount of time to have any effect an instantaneous cast of a channeling skill does nothing

or at least that's how i mentally compartmentalize it. PoE needs mental shortcuts sometimes

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Aumni wrote: »
    Carpy wrote: »

I believe it's 5 applications that each have 5 hits. And I'm guessing you'll only have 1 hit left on your initial impale after the attack is over.

That's what I'd guess because otherwise added chance to impale would be useless with lancing steel. Though I've been burned before thinking I understand the mechanics in this game.

Carpy on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I'm hoping PoB gets some of the gear changes or new skill gems/skill gem changes in soon.

I've been farting around but it's difficult to really see what's going to happen when you don't actually have a complete picture.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Dread Banner gains stacks when 'you' impale. I don't know if it'd count your minions as 'you'. Although Victarios gives out charges like they are 'you'

hmmmm....

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    an item interaction I've been trying to fully utilize for a few leagues now is Rippling Thoughts' proc on attack. You can proc it when you activate Charged Dash which does a Storm Cascade in front of you; that spell can be supported by gems in the sword.

I didn't really try to do much with it in Delve but I was inspired by our dank lord and savior sir check to look into stacking silly amounts of flat lightning damage from Smite and flat cold from Ice Bite.

the other option (which I tried extensively in Incursion) is to use it as a pure support on a CWC Arc setup: Curse on Hit and Hypothermia (with a Call of the Brotherhood) with the cascade priming enemies for big dick Arc damage. New additions to chill effectiveness could make this work on an Elementalist.

Really needs a cooldown lower than 1 second to be good and I'm a little upset that Mjolnir and CoC got a buff but my favorite special sword didn't

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    So with the cast on crit and chaos dot buffs, how stupid is a Toxic Rain CoC Contagion build? Probably better than the Scourge Arrow CwC Essence Drain idea I also had. Would like to run Herald of Agony and Chaos Golem too but not sure which class/ascendancy would be best or what other skills to run.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    There's zero benefit to casting Contagion on any enemy more than once, so spending two gems in a six link to CwCrit it feels really silly

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    eelektrik wrote: »
    So with the cast on crit and chaos dot buffs, how stupid is a Toxic Rain CoC Contagion build? Probably better than the Scourge Arrow CwC Essence Drain idea I also had. Would like to run Herald of Agony and Chaos Golem too but not sure which class/ascendancy would be best or what other skills to run.

put contagion in asenaths chant. 25% chance to proc it on attack is all you need

you can coc essence drain that at least has up front damage and spray the purple blobs everywhere

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Actually that raises a question I had regarding Cast On X builds: how do you determine when the extra spell cast is more damage than the 2+ supports you lose from instead just casting the main skill by itself?

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Aegis wrote: »
    Actually that raises a question I had regarding Cast On X builds: how do you determine when the extra spell cast is more damage than the 2+ supports you lose from instead just casting the main skill by itself?

no fixed rule

but with the new coc the basic thing to consider is that you would be trying to hit the 0.15s cooldown. if you think about what that implies about the attack you have a few options:

1) you are using a skill specifically optimised for this eg spec throw, barrage, etc (something that hits v quickly but not very hard). in that case the chance of you beating the flat dps of a spell being shat out at 30% more 6 times a second is pretty low
    2) you have an insane quant of attack speed and ur hitting like a fookin train. if this is the case... ur probs gonna have spent so much hitting that level of attack speed the chance the spell is going ot hit hard is pretty low
    3) you arent actually attacking v quickly. in that case you need to consider whats going on

the other thing about coc is that its 0.15s *per spell*. this means the accurate comparison is not vs 1 spell but 2-3 depending on what you are up to. contribution from coced spells doubles when u add a second spell. this means u get a really silly nonlinear return from socket count (and why people severely underrate the "supported by level x cast on crit" shaped/elder mod)

in general most "traditional" old school spell shitting coc builds were not hybrid attack/coc builds - they used a nonsense attack that hit a jillion times per second like barrage quill rain. with the new gem it will be interesting to see what equilibria people can hit but hybrid scaling is a lot easier now. you will just need to theorycraft it out

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    another thing to consider for melee coc builds is that static strike hits multiple times per tick and ticks at one stack at a speed of 0.4 and lasts 4s. this means if you have a very slow 2-hander you can just have a 6l static strike coc setup and a 6l ordinary attack and use the static strike as a passive fortify + spell dispenser. you could even use, for example, trypanon... static strike lets you ignore the ridiculous attack speed penalty because you just need to hit once then jog with 100% confidence in MAXIMUM SPELL SHITTERY

on a necro i had a 10 second static strike that cast temporary minions (srs and skellies) for example. with new coc you could run skellie mage threshold and when you coc them they gain the 30% more spell damage multiplier >:)

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Cast on Crit buffs are the missing link that Static Strike needs, it was really underwhelming last league when I started with it

• Options
    Cast on Crit buffs are the missing link that Static Strike needs, it was really underwhelming last league when I started with it

it was super good last league too, but the trick was you needed chain and aoe. static strike target seeking is done in a radius, and that radius is used for further chaining. with good aoe and for example dual mjolners + a chain support gem it would happily offscreen - coc arc in that and you had something that would clear maps for you as fast as you could run until you needed to refresh it!

another useful setup for it i found was boots with fortify and inc duration. wack ss coc spell and a support or a second spell and for a cheapo pair of boots you got your fortify etc setup and skill duration from the passive, very chonk

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I'm torn on how to proceed. only been playing a few weeks, was playing arc witch but i was missing a lot of the key gear pieces, so died a good bit past tier 9 or so on some bosses. I'd like to play arc again but my brother wants to play with me, so I figured I might start a different kind of character to play with him and arc witch again when not playing with him. I'm thinking maybe giving toxic rain a try, or maybe necro summoner but my arc witch was playing with zombies and skeletons early on and they felt kinda squishy.

I kinda want to play a single target tank so i can stop worrying about getting one shot from bosses, but need something that isnt too complex or slow.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    A STR-stacking necromancer with The Baron and minion life supports/tree passives has super tanky zombies and reasonably tanky skeletons. You can coast with that build all the way up to T16 maps.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    MS jugg or Life based RF jugg seems to fit your criteria

POE doesnt have a dedicated tank, the best way to mitigate damage is to avoid the hitboxes

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Did essence drain/contagion get a buff in the notes (or in the last season or two)? I don't know why that is a build I always want to go back to. Can anyone recommend anything similar? Something along the lines of enemies getting domino'd with a chance to get kills off-screen, don't really care about the other aspects of ED/C.

• Options
    The skills didn't get a buff, but there's a bunch of non-ailment chaos damage over time multiplier on the tree and items now which is essentially another More multiplier.

• Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular

they do not unfortunately

it kinda makes sense. the only time a channeling spell qualifies as a "cast" is on the initial use. since you have to channel for a certain amount of time to have any effect an instantaneous cast of a channeling skill does nothing

or at least that's how i mentally compartmentalize it. PoE needs mental shortcuts sometimes

Oh well there goes that. Guess I'm just going to have to redo the Incinerate -CwC - Bodyswap build with Winters Orb then.

Swap in Ice Spear for bosses or something.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    I wish there was an Attack on Crit support so I could link Toxic Rain and Caustic Arrow or other similar combos. Probably don't have it because it would take extra work to link two abilities of similar type, and would have to do something in terms of linking be either order they were placed in slots determines the base skill, or some kind of positional priority. Extra complexity they probably haven't decided is worth tackling yet.

I am still pretty new to PoE, so reading all your comments helps with figuring out combos that might work or probably won't. Still haven't decided on what to start with in Betrayal league, I have mostly been playing Standard, but probably won't get much time to play until after the 14th since I have homework and studying for finals that I should be doing.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    yeah the socket blind nature of supports is kind of wonky and does indeed stop certain interactions that would otherwise cause logical loops

whats silly about this is that spell procs work in socket sequence (in reality) so there is a sort of socket order built in...

i do think a socket rework is due at some point

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    A STR-stacking necromancer with The Baron and minion life supports/tree passives has super tanky zombies and reasonably tanky skeletons. You can coast with that build all the way up to T16 maps.

only thing i didnt like about necro was

1. sometimes minions are really dumb
    2. I DONT HAVE ENOUGH ACTION BUTTONS/SKILL SLOTS

but yeah pure phys skelly/zombies does insane dmg (like 140k each... x 15) and single target dps for them decimates every encounter

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    if u dont go brutus lead sprinkler cast on crit baron necromancer wat r u doing with ur lyfe

or pillar

pillar coc baron necromancer the TRUE dream

hhmly0iwkkbv.png

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    I’m going to just do minion Guardian. It seems simple so I can learn this game.

Cold DoT trickster also looks fun.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I tried out this build [3.5] Pure Phys Skeleton/Zombie Necromancer — Easy 1mil+ DPS, SSF & New Player Friendly! a few weeks back and had good results with it. Probably going to try the same build again next league, maybe not as my first character, possibly second.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I suppose I should have actually specified Cast while Channeling with Vortex, a 1.8s cool down skill, so multiple triggers in short succession aren't going to happen.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Aegis wrote: »
    I suppose I should have actually specified Cast while Channeling with Vortex, a 1.8s cool down skill, so multiple triggers in short succession aren't going to happen.

what you could do if you were feeling super memey was have a coc frostbolt barrage setup in eg a reach of the council with thresholds so u shoot like a wall of 8jillion frostbolts, get like 0.4aps, then an asenath's chant so that it 1/4 procs a vortex on your frostbolts. maybe. if you're lucky

if they let the targeting work that is

or i suppose just ice nova

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
  • Options
    Elemental hit might be even better if those uniques are worth equipping.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    Aktn BstrdAktn Bstrd Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I tried out this build [3.5] Pure Phys Skeleton/Zombie Necromancer — Easy 1mil+ DPS, SSF & New Player Friendly! a few weeks back and had good results with it. Probably going to try the same build again next league, maybe not as my first character, possibly second.

Well I think I'm going to give that build a shot. I've wanted to try minions for a while, loved them in d2. I read a lot of comments and it sounds great.

• Options
    boo thats a bit boring

brittle seems cool but i dont need more res pen instead of BURNING FIRE and making enemies deal less damage is for nerds

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    boo thats a bit boring

brittle seems cool but i dont need more res pen instead of BURNING FIRE and making enemies deal less damage is for nerds

Boo hiss

This discussion has been closed.