As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Yippie Ki-Yay, Mother[love]er

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I admit that I was drawing from my local experience, which I should not have done when giving general advice. But I definitely paid 70 bucks in court fees for the privilege of a cop admitting that he pulled me over on the wrong side of a speed zone and erroneously gave me an $80 ticket.

That sounds like a mistake. Criminal court costs only get invoked if the party is guilty, and civil court costs are often invoked on the losing party.

In North Carolina this was definitely the case. Court fees are something on the order of $180 if you're called as a defendant for moving violations, which you are for 100% of moving violations because North Carolina's moving violation laws are just an extortion racket.

Are you sure? Cause I am pretty sure that’s unconstitutional.

EDIT: I'm not saying you're wrong cause state's love to try unconsitutional shit from time to time.

I got two speeding tickets while I was there and talked to some other folks about this and that's definitely how the state does it as standard procedure. I wouldn't be surprised if it was some dodgy shit!

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Fees and fines are purposefully and explicitly "this is actually legal, as long as you're rich"

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I didn't have to pay court costs when I contested my ticket for parking in a HDCP spot in Maryland (hey, asshole, maybe don't give me a ticket for parking near an unstriped hdcp parking space!)

turns out I was innocent!

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    So, and I'm not sure how to word this without it coming across as a humblebrag, I've apparently become the eye candy at the bar I frequent? I guess that's the word? It's not really a high bar considering the place and usual clientele.

Anyway, I'm acquainted with one of the girls who works there and she makes it a point to tell me about how some of the other ladies who also work there talk about me all the time. At one point we went to the same gym and apparently she sent several candid snapchats of me working out to some of them and uh... I feel kinda weird about it? I'd be legit pissed if I didn't know this person fairly well.

Like on the one hand I'm flattered but also I don't really want to be noticed when I go in there. It's why I go in there. So I can be the sulky quiet guy in the corner who reads and nobody talks to because who wants to talk to the weird dude who reads at a bar?

One of the newer servers was asking about me and I've become very aware of the looks as of late. I'm just kinda off my balance a little I guess. Is this what it's like to be a lady all the time? Fuckin weird comments and stares? I don't like it!

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You're right to be kind of weirded out. It's creepy behavior and you are being objectified. Without being a woman I can't say if that's what its like all the time, but if you switch the genders in your story it immediately comes across as really fucking creepy and the feelings you're feeling are probably very close.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    There are still traffic cameras at some intersections in the greater Los Angeles area, but the courts ruled that they aren't enforceable and the tickets won't be pursued or reported to the DMV (or credit bureaus/collection agencies for non-payment).

They still send them out to scare people into paying the tickets.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    It's not okay to take pictures of people without their knowledge/permission. Full stop. That is a violation of privacy and personal boundaries and you are within your right to be uncomfortable.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

I think its meant to be complimentary and I'd imagine pretty much everybody else would be like "hell yeah" because these are very, very attractive women but I dunno. I gots me a weird brain what don't take compliments well, no not too well at all.

I mean, people are always going to talk to their friends about other people they find attractive, that's just a normal thing humans do so whatever, I think it's just kind of odd to be made aware of it? I'm also probably making too big of a deal about this. I'm certainly not going to pursue any of this and none of them are either.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I had a coworker walk up and grab me by the beard the other day and it was very much not okay

I've also had harassment type comments at bars since I've grown it

I don't appreciate it at all

I'm sure all the creeper dudes who take pictures of ladies think they're being complimentary too.

That's ultimately besides the point in that it makes you feel uncomfortable.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    In addition to begetting all sorts of terrible ways for men to treat women, the patriarchy does its fair share of damage back in the other direction as well.

It's like bowen said - if you switch the genders in these instances, it would seem obviously fucked up to most people. But there is a belief that only women can be harassed in such a way, that only men can do the harassing, which can embolden this sort of behavior. Even under frighteningly similar logic ("It's a compliment!"), people can be unaware of what they are doing or why it is wrong.

And like, the moral of the story is that it sucks. I've been there, and while I normally relish being objectified because I am extremely vain, that doesn't mean that I want it happening all the time. And there's not a whole lot you can do about it - you can try to explain why it is an issue to the individual people, but I think we all know that the odds of success there aren't as high as they ought to be. And you shouldn't be forced into the position where you have to explain to someone what they're doing is wrong, because that's just more bullshit that you have to put up with.

My general choice if I do decide to confront the issue is to define it in very personal terms, which I've found works pretty well. As in, "Hey, I don't like it when other people take pictures of me without my knowledge or consent, could you please refrain from doing that with me in the future?" The downside there is that by making it personal you don't end up getting to the heart of the matter, so they may continue their behavior with other people, but I've found that trying to get to the heart of the matter is a lot more work for a lot less success.

You also end up looking like the bad guy for asking them to stop, but they'll get over it.

Or they'll just do it in secret without telling you.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    They have those anti pappazi vests now. Its a temporary fix but it might help

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Huh. I'd never heard of those before, but they look neat.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Fines are one of those things that I wish were were explicitly tied to income.

I am pretty sure at least one country does that for some traffic violations.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Fines are one of those things that I wish were were explicitly tied to income.

I am pretty sure at least one country does that for some traffic violations.

The UK does that. Fines are a percentage of your weekly income. Lowest bracket, 1-9mph over the limit, is anywhere from 25% to 75% of your weekly income. Highest bracket is something like 200% I think? Plus insta-ban.

South Africa on the other hand, it's whatever the cop feels like charging you (usually discounted if you pay on the spot!). Or you can just... not pay, because they don't seem to have a way to force you. And I don't know what you have to do to lose your license there but it's got to be something pretty messed up.

• FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    It’s income based in I think Norway, Finland and Switzerland at least.

Swedish genius driving through Switzerland landed a cool 1 mil USD ticket a few years back.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    dang what a good therapy today

for whatever reason

i even wrote a bunch of stuff down after (which maybe i should do more often)

poo
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Flarne wrote: »
    It’s income based in I think Norway, Finland and Switzerland at least.

Swedish genius driving through Switzerland landed a cool 1 mil USD ticket a few years back.

I thought in Finland it was progressive (it may also start based on income); several years ago I heard that hockey star Teemu Selanne, who was a known lead-foot, had worked his way up to a ticket in the hundreds of thousands of US dollars. He, understandably, complained about it, but I could only think, "Fool, when your speeding ticket gets to $10,000 STOP FUCKING SPEEDING!"

chromdom on
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I went into an old thread from 2009 AD where I apparently posted something which made everything spit out their coffee and post "no no no NO"

But the link is dead so I don't know what I posted

Platy on
    Lol just saw girl on diff dating app just now who I went on what I’d thought was a promising / good date in the summer who didn’t text me back (and I blame myself for bungling it)

and then I got sad RIP

poo
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    This is still as delightful as it was eight years ago

https://youtu.be/t6xN6MoKKjA

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    God dammit, I miss forum battles.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    We truly do not deserve ChicoBlue.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I've been chasing leads and I still don't know who sent me this package or where it is now
    It's driving me crazy

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »

Ahahahahaha oh my God, I never saw this, this is amazing

Bless you, @ChicoBlue

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018

Bless you, @ChicoBlue

Speaking of which, does anyone know what that spaceman song is called, or how to find it? Google is giving me nothing when I search the lyrics.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Man I haven't watched that in years. Such a great moment. It felt incredibly cool to be a small part of that.

Bless you, @ChicoBlue

Speaking of which, does anyone know what that spaceman song is called, or how to find it? Google is giving me nothing when I search the lyrics.

Found it

https://youtu.be/MZDQeYjwccY

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular

Bless you, ChicoBlue

It is called My Moonrocket by Valerna.

• That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular

Bless you, @ChicoBlue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZDQeYjwccY

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I recently watched my Stand By He video from that year and thought that it would've worked much better with the explicit gore bits not included.

Critiquing my weird child murder forum battle video from almost a decade ago.

Also, on the Vimeo page Austin Walker left a comment 8 years ago.

(Not that Austin Walker, though. That'd be weird as hell.)

ChicoBlue on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Ok
    I finally got someone to talk to me not a bot or someone to string me along for whatever reason
    She just asks me to be more open and such there is a lot more I would say but it's personal stuff and brain spider stuff as she talked about a problem she has and how she sees the similarity of some of the ones I talk about revieling we both have the same brain spiders just different flavors

Lmao I woke up still sad 😔

poo
  • grrmushagrrmusha Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I've just realized I don't know what I want in a person anymore but I definitely know what I don't want.

grrmusha on
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    grrmusha wrote: »
    I've just realized I don't know what I want in a person anymore but I definitely know what I don't want.
    This is me with life in general. "I don't know what I want. NO not that! Never that."

Hello I just arrived back from my work holiday party it is 1:30 am
    Deffo drunk but hopefully tomorrow is not too bad

Anyway, there is a woman there
    (okay I’m trying to say woman rather than girl these daysbut it’s weirdly formal too, because there’s no good “guy” equivalent that is in regular usage)
    I met her approx 4 years ago at a friends party, who she met via a coincidental shared cab ride
    Hit it off, got drinks one day after the party
    Then another day went to a movie together
    Then she said it wasn’t a good time for her to see me again, so okay (and at this time I was in my very very inexperienced in dating stage as a v late bloomer so I was prob even worse)

Then flash forward a few years (and had occasionally kept in touch and seen her here and there) and she is working at the same company as me - and not in any capacity that we work together
    Reconnect, have lunch a few times here and there
    I invited her to a concert a few weeks ago and she came with me and we got pierogies and beer and got high and saw some punk rock and it was fun
    Met her at another concert last week but she was with a friend and didn’t get much chance to chat before and after, still was fun and we met up
    At the holiday party briefly hung out and danced in her group of folks, she had her weed pen and was passing it around and offered me, not unexpected
    In coat check line I saw her and asked if she and other coworker wanted to split a cab, since she was near me

So we did, and cab driver messed up and dropped other coworker off first and then me and her
    Chatted a bit but lightly

Anyway

I am in this state of like hey, I think you’re cool
    At some given point we had a connection and you are single
    And there is at least some friendly connection here
    But, like -
    At this point I’ve never dated or even successfully expressed interest in someone I know IRL aka not via a dating app (and have only really dated one person) so I’m very unsure about things

I generally want to hang out with her and think she’d be a swell person to date (same company yes, but also far enough removed that we never see each other unless we plan to really, and I know enough work people who have)
    But: I don’t really know how to ask it without feeling... creepy or coming on too strong, or like fear of misreading signals

So I dunno what to do about that all
    Occasionally willing and interested in hanging out with me - but like is that just politeness and friendliness
    Like if she doesn’t reach out to me etc

The playing it safe part of me is like yeah nothing will come from it leave it
    But that’s the part I always listen to
    The part of me that’s like, hey I’m worthwhile and we get along, you should give it a shot is there, but not very strong
    Like I’m often scared to text or text too often etc
    Doesn’t know how to go about anything

Lol ah me

Thank you for indulging my somewhat intoxicated rambling, it helped me just to write it uhhh I should probably just journal

Reading it is not necessary but if you feel like a comment or advice re: dating and expressing interest etc, pls go ahead

poo
    Oh right

Drinking hurts my frail body

A lot

poo
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Ok
    I finally got someone to talk to me not a bot or someone to string me along for whatever reason
    She just asks me to be more open and such there is a lot more I would say but it's personal stuff and brain spider stuff as she talked about a problem she has and how she sees the similarity of some of the ones I talk about revieling we both have the same brain spiders just different flavors

And she deleted her account
    Sigh

This discussion has been closed.