As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Etrian Odyssey: Nexus - When your cat is an absolute unit.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    It does suck that you have to choose between the actually useful class and the more interesting branch of the story.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Looking at how tough the 'true' boss is, I feel like I kind of dodged a bullet.

wVEsyIc.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    was there any way at all to make yggdroids useful

BahamutZERO.gif
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    was there any way at all to make yggdroids useful

They had some weird gimmicky uses. I think 2 or 3 of them can kill the optional superboss safely somehow among other things. But mostly they are a broken mess with wonky or not properly working interactions.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Treat them as a subclass. They have good stats and passives. They're immune to some stuff. They don't really need to worry about being bound, and you might be able to refill their TP without too much work.
    And you can always find some kind of use for Revenge.

• Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    Haha, just got Shogun. Recruited two and subclassed one as a buccaneer and one as a gladiator, then put all their available skill points into combat study.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    If I ever go back to EO3 I really need to take a hard run at using an Yggdroid. I never did but I liked how their abilities looked on paper. I know people already pointed out there were some errors or situational use surrounding them, but still. I love gimmicks.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    The Etrian Odyssey Nexus NA site has opened and there's a new trailer (though it is pretty weak).
    https://atlus.com/etriannexus/

More importantly, the game comes out February 5th in NA. We're in the home stretch of waiting now that it's less than a month out.

Edit - Oh my god the innkeeper art. <3
    Edit Edit - The head of the Explorer's Guild is named Mueller and that pleases me like whoa.

Henroid on
    Oh. Official guide says that dog-guy in Lagaard and the dragon-slayer in Armoroad are family. I guess that's why they look the same, then.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Oh. Official guide says that dog-guy in Lagaard and the dragon-slayer in Armoroad are family. I guess that's why they look the same, then.

I find this hard to reconcile still...

(EO1 - EO3 endings)
    Since EO3 is on a different planet from EO2. Armoroad's people all descend from an ark ship that left Earth, as an alternative to the project that created the original Yggdrassil labyrinth. And we know EO1 and EO2's cities are still on Earth proper.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Polaritie wrote: »

(EO1 - EO3 endings)
    Since EO3 is on a different planet from EO2. Armoroad's people all descend from an ark ship that left Earth, as an alternative to the project that created the original Yggdrassil labyrinth. And we know EO1 and EO2's cities are still on Earth proper.
    Cardio.

• Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    Is Nexus coming out in europe?

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
    Supposedly.

Yeah Atlus hasn't ruled out a Europe release, which was their standard recently I think? Every source lists EU as TBA.

In preparation for Nexus coming out, I got a new SD card because my current one was apparently just 4GB in size. And Pokemon Sun ate up all of that because it's a jerk. Gotta have room for the DLC I expect Nexus to have.

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular

(EO1 - EO3 endings)
    Cardio.

Where do we get that information?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    Tcheldor wrote: »

(EO1 - EO3 endings)
    Cardio.

Where do we get that information?
    The gym.

Gonna be real hard figuring out which party to use in nexus.

I kind of want to run arcanist/imperial, but both of those are sure to be incredibly underwhelming at lower levels. Especially since I hear imperials are nowhere near as good as they were in EO4. I probably should use a hero since they are new and seem kind of fun, but that means protector/zodiac in the last slots. But then I won't be using nightseeker or gunner, which I also really liked in their respective games. And keeping more than 5 party members trained is such a pain in the other games at least.

edited January 2019
    Medic and Protector look pretty effective as subclasses. Main classes are very good at what they do. Maybe unnecessarily good.
    Apparently Protector is still one of the big boss-killers with fire-damage, late in the game, at least as subclass to something with high STR.

Harbinger has high average stats in addition to the durability and action-speed from skills. Their direct damage-output isn't very impressive, that's their most glaring weakness. They'd likely do well in almost any type of supporting role. Healing and infliction won't be a problem. Their TP is well sufficient for most subclass-level skills. They're not really squishy enough to be scared of the front row. Even though scythes are melee-range, there's probably not much harm in putting them in the back row, either.
    I could bring a Shogun, Ranger or Nightseeker to put some aggro on the Harbinger and see how well it survives as an off-tank.

Ronin isn't bad at inflicting ailments, but initially doesn't have many options for it.
    Ninja-subclass makes the randomised components of the Ronin's own kit more reliable by further increasing evasion and infliction. Also helps TP-economy and makes fairly good rates of sleep, panic and weak poison available.
    Nightseeker-subclass helps much less than Ninja with evasion and infliction, but it's still there, along with big damage, and a lot of potential tools in decent head-bind, instant death, blind, Decoy Sign and Shadow Cloak.
    Pugilist helps a bit with damage and infliction, and provides all binds, paralysis, selfish ailment-healing, ailment-blocking for a row, and Cross Counter, which is just a pretty decent move with good numbers and much better bash-damage than the bash Ronin has.

PLA on
    Y'all getting info from people who ported the Japanese version or something?

I haven't given any thought toward what classes I will use besides the Hero. Binds are a favorite strategy for me throughout the series though, so that kinda narrows things down.

edited January 2019
    Yeah, we got most of the info about half a year ago.
    You can play around with this, in the meantime.
    https://reinasakuraba.github.io/EO-Skill-Sim/eox/

Ailments and binds use STR + LUC or INT + LUC if the skill deals damage, now. Skills what don't deal damage have a bigger LUC-multiplier, instead.
    This spreadsheet has class-stats. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10r-cwgX1_xGaIU6VddkLsK1dCiC3jeEpAAXibtCiY2w

PLA on
    Looking at those numbers it's pretty dire. Imperial skills do slightly more damage than gunner skills, but have long cooldowns and cost almost twice as much TP to use. And the gunner has almost twice as much TP as the imperial.

At least arcanists look like they are pretty good, not quite as broken as they were in EO4, but not utterly gutted either.

edited January 2019
    Imperial was pretty busted in 4, but too much nerf will make me sad - I'm a fan of their sprites.

And by busted I mean Accel Drive easily snaps the final boss in half. In one shot (granted, with their charge active). I was laughing like a madman for a bit after doing that.

Polaritie on
    Imperial was pretty busted in 4, but too much nerf will make me sad - I'm a fan of their sprites.

And by busted I mean Accel Drive easily snaps the final boss in half. In one shot (granted, with their charge active). I was laughing like a madman for a bit after doing that.

Oh yeah, imperials in their EO4 form were insanely busted. But look at the numbers in the link above and compare them to gunners, it's kind of silly. They even removed the most crazy aspect, that the drives were aoe damage as well. Not only did you alpha strike harder than anything else in the game, you also did it with aoe damage. Imperials essentially deleted random encounters from the game as I remember it.

I'm heading out the door but I had just enough time to notice that the passive chance to activate Miasma Armor at the start of battle has been rolled into the Miasma Armor skill itself. If they did that for all the 'stance' type skills I will be pleased as shit.

edited January 2019
    Frozenzen wrote: »

Oh yeah, imperials in their EO4 form were insanely busted. But look at the numbers in the link above and compare them to gunners, it's kind of silly. They even removed the most crazy aspect, that the drives were aoe damage as well. Not only did you alpha strike harder than anything else in the game, you also did it with aoe damage. Imperials essentially deleted random encounters from the game as I remember it.

They did, yes.

Imperials look to be second only to Protectors in taking physical hits though here, and with respectable WIS. The TP hit is a bit much though. Luck and agility being trash isn't a big deal but they didnt really need to be worst at them.

Edit: Imperial has a lot of TP restore options built in there. They may not be too bad off, and I can see building less around the drives and just using their combo skills to keep up non stop abilities raining down off their high str score.

Polaritie on
    edited January 2019
    Yeah, Harbinger and Ronin can sort of turn their stuff on by just doing their things, now. Ronin takes stances by attacking, Harbinger smogs up by smogging things up.

Imperial has great raw stats for counter-moves like Shield Flare, a hard face to bash into things, but not much in the way of self-buffs that work on counter-moves.

I wonder if they will keep up the tradition of never fixing huge bugs between releases. Because japanese version's Dauntless is a big fucking bug.

PLA on
    edited January 2019
    What bug are you referring to exactly with Dauntless?

Edit - Wow so I'm poking through that calculator, and the damage negate passive has been moved to the end of the Protector tree. They gave it a more substantial chance of activating, but still, that's a heck of a move.

Henroid on
    It gives one row a chance to survive fatal attacks for a couple of turns. That chance is 100 %.

It gives one row a chance to survive fatal attacks for a couple of turns. That chance is 100 %.

Wow. Usually the skill bug for a game isn't that ridiculous.

Though iirc EO3? had a dancer passive that was a debuff instead of buff past a point.

That was super messy. I think that Dancer's version of Speed Boost didn't give any evasion, and any version of Speed Boost, even one that does give evasion, overwrites the evasion of Fan Dance.
    So you can't use Fan Dance with Speed Boost, and Dancer's Speed Boost isn't great for subclassing, either.

edited January 2019
    That was EO4 but yeah, Dancer's fan dance + speed boost resulted in a nerf.

Has anyone determined in EO:N if War Magus is stronger with staff or sword yet?

Edit - Oh hello, Landsharks have a passive ability that increases damage dealt based on how few elemental crossovers there are. At max rank it's +20% damage for a single element, +6% for 2 elements, and +2% for 3 elements. The hell? I assume this takes into account the physical stuff (bash / slash / stab).

Henroid on
    Yeah, it's any of the six main damage-types.

Medic has some decent staff-stuff, I guess. Don't know if there are any notable swords or staves with special abilities.
    War Magus takes some work to fulfill conditions for, but War Revive by itself is a pretty aggressive revive.

• l_gl_g Registered User regular
    The site for Nexus is oddly busted when I'm flipping through the character profiles/pictures... the profile panel isn't updating every time the character image changes, so I get stuff like this:
    1rlvenc7qf5o.png

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
    I know I'm going to run with a Hero, Landshark, and Medic, but my other two slots I'm in debate over. Though I'm thinking of getting a War Magus instead of the Medic which would really open up what I can have. War Magus clears up needing a status infliction character aside from healing pretty decently (and the Hero has some passive healing, effective tanking). I like how the Landshark's elemental chase works and how it can be buffed down that line (chases can crit and once you get a crit all further chases automatically crit?!).

I might go with Pugilist for my Bind oriented play, mostly because of how disappointed I am that the Gunner doesn't have any Bind synergy within its own tree. If I get a Pugilist though, that effs up my front row if I decide on a War Magus (which is to say, the WM ailing slash gets taken out of the picture thanks to being in the back row).

aaaaugh I can't decide, this is the hardest party assembly I've thought about in the series since EO3.

edited January 2019
    If anything, I kind of want to see a Hero/Imperial. Take the afterimage line, then use Charge Image > Accel Drive to set up the double boosted drive hit. Their defense buff but go last is a BIG buff and almost cancels out the damage taken from drives...

No idea what I'd subclass from Imperial - maybe Protector for taunt, or Highlander for the various "when hurt do X"? There's no real obvious option - Imperial has some obvious ludicrous damage setups, and I only even look at drives because their boost is "no overheats for 3 turns", which screams "dump all your TP on massive damage".

Polaritie on
    I mostly feel like using Ronin, Survivalist, Gunner, Highlander, Harbinger and Hero as main classes.

If anything, I kind of want to see a Hero/Imperial. Take the afterimage line, then use Charge Image > Accel Drive to set up the double boosted drive hit. Their defense buff but go last is a BIG buff and almost cancels out the damage taken from drives...

No idea what I'd subclass from Imperial - maybe Protector for taunt, or Highlander for the various "when hurt do X"? There's no real obvious option - Imperial has some obvious ludicrous damage setups, and I only even look at drives because their boost is "no overheats for 3 turns", which screams "dump all your TP on massive damage".

Drives seem reaaaaal bad unless you get them to max rank. Rank 4 elemental drives and rank 5 accel drive seems kind of lackluster to build everything around. Regiment rave+fast damagedealers would probably deal a ton more damage.

I still might try a imperial/zodiac, but gunner/zodiac seems to do the same thing but better with a side of binds as well.

edited January 2019

Drives seem reaaaaal bad unless you get them to max rank. Rank 4 elemental drives and rank 5 accel drive seems kind of lackluster to build everything around. Regiment rave+fast damagedealers would probably deal a ton more damage.

I still might try a imperial/zodiac, but gunner/zodiac seems to do the same thing but better with a side of binds as well.

Imperial also fills the tank role though - massive HP is still passive aggro right? And they have sustain options.

That said, gunner probably does do the charge shooty thing better - they don't have overheat, are in the back and ranged, etc. and only slightly weaker output.

The reason to use Imperial basically has to be their tanky stat line and the combo skill tree.

Edit: Not really sure gunner has better zodiac synergy though. Or that I'd even pick zodiac as the sub. Hell, Imperial has good passives for a charge shooting gunner even.

Polaritie on
    Looking at it they just gutted passives all over the place. Almost all the zodiac stuff is zodiac only, and imperials also only offer 9% elemental damage in total.

Ronin might be the best sub for damage dealers in general unless there is some decent synergy, 14% damage from upper stance and 12% from duel.

edited January 2019
    Looking at it they just gutted passives all over the place. Almost all the zodiac stuff is zodiac only, and imperials also only offer 9% elemental damage in total.

Ronin might be the best sub for damage dealers in general unless there is some decent synergy, 14% damage from upper stance and 12% from duel.

Stances are buffs though and need upkeep. But yeah passives seem to have taken a hit.

9% for 4 points isnt bad though.

Polaritie on