As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US Foreign Policy] Talk about the Foreign Policy of the United States

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    What! I can read exactly what he's feeling on his face

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Yeah, that's less poker face and more thousand yard stare

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    *record scratch*

"Yes, that is me; sitting next to an idiot, who happens to be the President of the United States."

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

He did not immediately begin laughing and/or weeping.

The amount of self-control required for that is reserved for only the most diplomatic individuals.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

The amount of self-control required for that is reserved for only the most diplomatic individuals.

Especially since the woman just behind him was cracking up. I must find out who she is.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

Especially since the woman just behind him was cracking up. I must find out who she is.

Chrystia Freeland.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »

Chrystia Freeland.

Thank you!

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

"They're not laughing with us, they're laughing at us." - Donald Trump.

No, boyo. They're laughing at YOU.

So, when news gets back to Trump that Mexico and Canada are laughing at his stumbling buffonery, who is he going to attack on Twitter first?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I continue to find it terribly disheartening that Trump still insists on using a sharpie instead of a pen to sign things.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I continue to find it terribly disheartening that Trump still insists on using a sharpie instead of a pen to sign things.

he's gotta have the biggest and boldest signature

• Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

Incoming Freshmen don't have fucks to give.

Alex Kane is a freelance writer on Israel/Palestine, article is picked up by The Intercept
    Wow, openly supporting BDS too. I'm glad to see criticism of Israel start to become more acceptable in mainstream US politics. That article mentions another Representative whose support for BDS has resulted in accusations of antisemitism, which I'm sure this rep will face as well, but progressive Democrats aren't all falling for that one anymore.

Which is also great, since the Israel lobby's conflation of criticism of Israel with antisemitism is hella counterproductive in terms of actually opposing real antisemitism.

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    To be fair, Canada's track record of treaty signing isn't any better:

fneb3bdb9ngr.jpg

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Poor New Zealand

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Russian reps signature is on fuckin point I must say

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

He learned the wrong lesson from John Hancock.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I just saw the "Get me out of here" hot-mic moment. For fuck's sake I can't even.

I ignored the news for the most part this weekend. But now I'm being caught up. Yikes.

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Poor New Zealand

It's when we get left off the map that hurts

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Antoshka wrote: »
    Poor New Zealand

At least you still have the Shire.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Antoshka wrote: »
    Poor New Zealand

And I'm actually ok with Trump not finding us on a map.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

They should hand him a large crayon IMO

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Someone whose Chinese is better than mine has reviewed China's public statements about the trade war "truce" with the Americans. The conclusion: it's all bullshit all around!

Trump-Xi summit produced no winners:
    To start with, there was no joint statement of any kind, which means the two parties could not agree on a common text. That led to each side freely briefing the press on its own interpretation of what the meeting achieved. And the differences are amply apparent.

Without reaching some kind of compromise with China, Trump’s G20 trip would appear a major failure, especially being the single rogue state in opposition to 19 other members on the action plan to combat climate change.

But the U.S. pause for further escalation may also come from the realization that Trump’s favourite tool of tariffs has not led to the desired outcome of forcing Beijing to make concessions. The Chinese economy and the stock market have been hit by U.S. tariffs, but they are nowhere close to crisis or chaos.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Yeah whoever could of imagined that China wouldn't crumble like an overcooked trump steak when bullied because they know that Trump can't take it to the level where it would hurt them without destroying his own country at the same time.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Yeah whoever could of imagined that China wouldn't crumble like an overcooked trump steak when bullied because they know that Trump can't take it to the level where it would hurt them without destroying his own country at the same time.

It's almost as if mutually beneficial trade benefits both parties mutually.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Trump realizes that the people he is talking to are actually there, right?

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Trump realizes that the people he is talking to are actually there, right?

I mean, I'd assume he's cognizant of their presence if they're in his immediate zone of perception...

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    This seems relevant to a couple threads, but I'm going with the general foreign policy one at the moment. Huawei finance chief Meng Wanzhou arrested in Canada and faces extradition to the United States. It appears to be over violations of NK and Iran sanctions. This should really help out with the whole US-China trade war thing too.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    This seems relevant to a couple threads, but I'm going with the general foreign policy one at the moment. Huawei finance chief Meng Wanzhou arrested in Canada and faces extradition to the United States. It appears to be over violations of NK and Iran sanctions. This should really help out with the whole US-China trade war thing too.

That is insane, does the usa claim to have the right to arrest anyone who does business with someone that they dont like? I understand banning their products and even confiscating goods in north american soil, but arresting a foreign citizen over one-sided arbitrary sanctions seems out of line.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »

That is insane, does the usa claim to have the right to arrest anyone who does business with someone that they dont like? I understand banning their products and even confiscating goods in north american soil, but arresting a foreign citizen over one-sided arbitrary sanctions seems out of line.

IIRC a lot of countries do this, and America is one with the most influence to make this happen. Plus, Canada is an ally. This is why corporations who do business with hostile states or persona non grata states (like Iran or Russia) individuals who do this will get extradited to the US for breaking sanctions. This has been kind of thrown out of whack with Trump a bit but that's how it usually works on the world stage.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The USA has an extradition treaty with Canada and Canada has arrested her for sanction breaking. This isn't unusual and is in fact one of the reasons why the US State Department has been one of the most effective anti-international organised crime groups in the world. What is notable is that in the current circumstances the sanctions are on Iran due to the US unilaterally pulling out of the JCPOA.

Basically this is bad news for Iran, it shows the US is 100% prepared to go after sanction breakers and that is a problem for them given the break between the US and the other signatories of the JCPOA. If she had broken sanctions on Russian businesses with mob connections then I don't think there'd be a negative outcry (which of course is fair, because who is being sanctioned is an important element)

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    This is some serious horse shit. China is going to fuck us sideways and canada should have had the good sense to not arrest her.

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    The USA has an extradition treaty with Canada and Canada has arrested her for sanction breaking. This isn't unusual and is in fact one of the reasons why the US State Department has been one of the most effective anti-international organised crime groups in the world. What is notable is that in the current circumstances the sanctions are on Iran due to the US unilaterally pulling out of the JCPOA.

Basically this is bad news for Iran, it shows the US is 100% prepared to go after sanction breakers and that is a problem for them given the break between the US and the other signatories of the JCPOA. If she had broken sanctions on Russian businesses with mob connections then I don't think there'd be a negative outcry (which of course is fair, because who is being sanctioned is an important element)

I would understand it if they arrested a USA citizen breaking the sanctions, but China is part of the deal too, shouldnt she be arrested by China? Or extradited to China at least? My question is, what gives the US justice system governance over foreign citizen that commited no crimes in their territory and whose business is not seated in US territory. If China didnt reinstate the sanctions, then her company was doing legal business, and if China is imposing sanctions again, then the chinese justice should handle it. This sounds like some USA world police bullshit to me.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Because that is how laws relating to sanction breaking work, and these people do not have diplomatic immunity based on their citizenship.

Just like how Mueller has indicted Russians for crimes committed in Russia in violation of US law, this woman has been arrested in Canada by Canada for breach of US law in China (or wharever)

Edit: I'm not saying I agree with the sanctions but the concept is not some sort of new precedent and nobody gets upset about it when it's some sort of human trafficking monster.

Solar on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

I would understand it if they arrested a USA citizen breaking the sanctions, but China is part of the deal too, shouldnt she be arrested by China? Or extradited to China at least? My question is, what gives the US justice system governance over foreign citizen that commited no crimes in their territory and whose business is not seated in US territory. If China didnt reinstate the sanctions, then her company was doing legal business, and if China is imposing sanctions again, then the chinese justice should handle it. This sounds like some USA world police bullshit to me.

The US simply got to her first. She obviously did business which got both China and the US after her, one of the two was bound to pick her up and both have a long reach. By breaking US sanctions they had as much a right to her as China does. The bigger worry about this is how China will react to this since they want her for breaking their laws. Sanctions from hostile countries are serious charges, not everything the US does to arrest foreign citizens is bullshit.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    This is some serious horse shit. China is going to fuck us sideways and canada should have had the good sense to not arrest her.

Good sense? Fucking please dude, get some common sense. You don't get to spend decades playing the biggest bully in the room and then complain when the smaller countries around you, especially the ones with enormous economic ties to your country, just let you have your way. Especially with the belligerent vindictive asshole y'all decided should run the place.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    shryke wrote: »

Good sense? Fucking please dude, get some common sense. You don't get to spend decades playing the biggest bully in the room and then complain when the smaller countries around you, especially the ones with enormous economic ties to your country, just let you have your way. Especially with the belligerent vindictive asshole y'all decided should run the place.

I think that's wrong too!

I can disagree with any number of terrible practices!

edit: and I didn't see where there were any chinese laws broken. They just seemed to want her release.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Canada is our closest ally. They see pacifying the hornets underneath their feet as more important than the wasps across the river. And Canada doesn't do a huge amount of business with China. They aren't really reliant on China and could do without them with some mild discomfort.

It's simply in Canada's self interest.

Now the Canadian government is also quite good at getting out of sticky situations (syrup) and I think what'll happen is the extradition trial will go on and they'll end up extradited back in China. Canada will blame their court system and apologize, China and the US will blame each other.

zepherin on
  • Options
    zepherin wrote: »
    Canada is our closest ally. They see pacifying the hornets underneath their feet as more important than the wasps across the river. And Canada doesn't do a huge amount of business with China. They aren't really reliant on China and could do without them with some mild discomfort.

It's simply in Canada's self interest.

Now the Canadian government is also quite good at getting out of sticky situations (syrup) and I think what'll happen is the extradition trial will go on and they'll end up back in China. Canada will blame their court system and apologize, China and the US will blame each other.

agreed and I don't think that bodes well for either nation

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

The US simply got to her first. She obviously did business which got both China and the US after her, one of the two was bound to pick her up and both have a long reach. By breaking US sanctions they had as much a right to her as China does. The bigger worry about this is how China will react to this since they want her for breaking their laws. Sanctions from hostile countries are serious charges, not everything the US does to arrest foreign citizens is bullshit.

Nothing in the article indicates that she is wanted for anything in China. If she ends up extradited anywhere, it will be to the US.

Because that is how laws relating to sanction breaking work, and these people do not have diplomatic immunity based on their citizenship.

Just like how Mueller has indicted Russians for crimes committed in Russia in violation of US law, this woman has been arrested in Canada by Canada for breach of US law in China (or wharever)

Edit: I'm not saying I agree with the sanctions but the concept is not some sort of new precedent and nobody gets upset about it when it's some sort of human trafficking monster.

Those Russians were indicted for hacking computers that were in the US. That's far different than arresting someone for breaking sanctions via transactions that don't involve the US in any way. This is going to be fun for Europe, since they're working to setup workarounds that would enable trade to continue with Iran.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options

I have no idea how those laws work, it just sounds counterintuitive to arrest someone for doing something that is legal in the place where it was made, and it doesnt involve the USA in any way. Sounds like an incredible overreach, at this point I just hope China answers in full strenght with sanctions and arrests of their own.

• Options
    "I'm sorry sir, you've broken american law and must be punished"

".... but I'm from Greece .... and this is Australia ...."

This discussion has been closed.