As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Webcomics: Are They Good or Bad?

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    2pvv59klpkj7.png
    A Bad Webcomic, Apparently

This is obviously what Bruce Wayne needed to work out his aggression issues.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Thistil Mistil Kistil is updating again!!!!!!! Yesssss. I'd feared it dead but it started updating last month.

UxKm97W.png

Thistil Mistil Kistil is a rad comic about Coal, a viking dude who is sent on a mission with Loki to recover the gods' artifacts. He has met up with Ibraham, a Muslim trader who holds one for the artifacts, and Hedda, a Christian slave that Coal saved from being sacrificed. They recently left Loki's house and ended up in Iceland where they met Arne, who is from America.

If you'd like to read from the beginning click here!

If you'd like to read from the latest chapter, click here!

The comic is not a CYOA despite what my links may imply!

• statlerstatler Registered User regular
    xfgqwack4q7i.jpg
    Penny Arcade

Ohhh, PETA are gonna be unhappy about that one.

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    you know i gotta wonder... is it a great idea to do a job that would constantly have you super turned on? re QC

I mean I don't have an answer I'm just throwing it out there.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I'd say probably not for a human, but robits might be different.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Jeph made a comic about why robots aren't constantly high even though they can be at the flip of a switch and I imagine it'd work the same way for sex.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    xfgqwack4q7i.jpg
    Penny Arcade

Ohhh, PETA are gonna be unhappy about that one.

peta's been getting weirder

• crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    i don’t think you’re supposed to feed birds scones

EzUAYcn.png
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Oh so it's okay to exploit flowers. Right, okay.

• BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    how do you mean

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    You'd think PETA would be against force-feeding horses, but I guess not!

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Well... you're not supposed to beat a dead horse either. It's a metaphor for continuing to do something long after it's stopped serving any useful function.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    how do you mean

I honestly thought it was a parody until I saw the Tweet source.

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    PETA's been pretty bad for... maybe forever? I don't honestly remember a time when they weren't bad.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Well... you're not supposed to beat a dead horse either. It's a metaphor for continuing to do something long after it's stopped serving any useful function.

Yes, but "Feeding a fed horse" is their suggested alternative to the "anti-animal" phrase "beating a dead horse." I'm pointing out that force-feeding a horse is animal cruelty and therefore should not be on that list.

\
    Gundi wrote: »
    PETA's been pretty bad for... maybe forever? I don't honestly remember a time when they weren't bad.

in the late 80s - early 90s i remember their media not being as awful, they were more like greenpeace, protesting animal trafficking and poaching

by the 2000s they had gone full EXTREME CONTROVERSY in trying to get attention

now it seems like they're just trying to lack as much self-awareness as possible to ... make memes of themselves?

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular

PETA are a bunch of hypocrites, as evidenced by their animal shelters having a kill rate of more than 90%.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    \

in the late 80s - early 90s i remember their media not being as awful, they were more like greenpeace, protesting animal trafficking and poaching

now it seems like they're just trying to lack as much self-awareness as possible to ... make memes of themselves?

The thing is, PETA has always been this crazy, they just used to be better at hiding it.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    \

The thing is, PETA has always been this crazy, they just used to be better at hiding it.

yeah I think they had to be a little more... tactful, because the only way they could get attention before was through news broadcasts, which wouldn't give airtime to their weirder shit

with the internet being a thing, they can just go full stupid and nobody can really cut them off

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Point of order, Greenpeace have always been just as fringe as PETA but they climb bridges and do piracy so they’re considered cooler than the morons who throw paint on fur coats.

Neither are as extreme as ALF and ELF, which are/were terrorist organizations that were very lucky not to kill anyone with their various arsons and sabotages.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »

PETA are a bunch of hypocrites, as evidenced by their animal shelters having a kill rate of more than 90%.

My understanding of the philosophy of PETA is that they don't think that animals should be kept as pets at all, which is why they kill the domesticated ones once they get their filthy hands on them. So not so much hypocrisy as straight crazy.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    you know i gotta wonder... is it a great idea to do a job that would constantly have you super turned on? re QC

I mean I don't have an answer I'm just throwing it out there.

It would suck because youd eventually get used to it.
    Its why I dont work for slip and slide anymore

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    pbgrvzmd5j76.png
    Questionable Content

You don't fire cops for incompetence, you put them on restricted duty while you 'conduct an investigation', then quietly promote them when nobody's looking.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Point of order, Greenpeace have always been just as fringe as PETA but they climb bridges and do piracy so they’re considered cooler than the morons who throw paint on fur coats.

Neither are as extreme as ALF and ELF, which are/were terrorist organizations that were very lucky not to kill anyone with their various arsons and sabotages.

Terrorism! It’s back! In POG form!

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Yes, but "Feeding a fed horse" is their suggested alternative to the "anti-animal" phrase "beating a dead horse." I'm pointing out that force-feeding a horse is animal cruelty and therefore should not be on that list.

Yeah it's a thing you're not supposed to do. The phrase is pro-animal because it's saying DON'T force-feed horses.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

edited December 2018
    Isn't the original is also pro-animal because it's saying not to beat dead horses?

So if neither is desirable, are they saying it's preferable to abuse a living animal than a dead one?

klemming on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    they're saying "Fuck you! Be nice to animals! Or we'll fucking kill you and them!"

liEt3nH.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    It's important not to get too caught up in the reeds of making fun of word choices by extremists. PETA is functionally an extremist organization* that knows how to put enough degrees of separation between itself and militant agents that it has a veneer of legitimacy. It throws everything at the wall to get itself into the minds of people and as such aid recruitment, even through highly mockable social media pushes like this or that bootleg mario game that was designed to attack KFC. That makes it seem very silly, but it still kills animals, still endorses arson and violence, and still promotes dubious science that can harm and kill children. There are meaningful degrees of severity between them and something like the alt-right or the Proud Boys or even ICE, but it's not unlike mocking an ICE tweet. It might feel intellectually superior but they're still in power and they're still accomplishing their goals.

*though there's likely plenty of people who are just in it for the profit of outrage and escalation

liEt3nH.png
This discussion has been closed.