As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    im finding the different skills very useful. Much more so than when the game launched.

Ace Pilot+Sensor lock in a Jenner or Firestarter is very useful for getting in, firing off 2 salvos and getting out.
    Sensor lock in general for taking out turrets or big damage vehicles with LRMs or big long range guns before they can open up on you.
    Bulwark is a must have on any planet with trees. Its almost useless without it while trying to keep up firepower. Almost. Any damage reduction is nice.
    The heat vent skill ive used exactly once, but can see it being more useful with heaver, hotter mechs.
    Breaching shot is nice if you have a big gun at the start of the match when the enemy is sitting in forests, entrenched with bulwark. But you gotta have a big gun and the guy cant be 60+ tons. Otherwise just close in and make him move.
    Multishot is nice against vehicles and when you need to finish off a quick kill and focus the rest of your arms on your next victim.

Maxing out tactics is amazing for called shots with LRM boats. All them suckers just hit whatever area you select for precision shot.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Things are now going pretty well. I've got 5 million c-bills, 12 mechs with about 6 being heavies.

My favorite is a dragon that melees for 200 damage. Light mechs are one punched and arms and legs fly off almost every hit.

Then I have a ppc ++ and lrm 20++ boat with extra destabilizing for softening up targets.

Ac20 orion with the dakka and a 2x AC2++ and 1xAC5++ jaeger

I've done 4 flashpoints now with the highlights being
    Working for the Kell Hounds! That was sweet.

And a "murder these political/religious agitators" for house Liao which is something I would never do in a campaign.
    It was weird playing the amoral mercenary angle but the story and missions were great.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    So uh.. Haven't played in a while, and all points were reset. Are there any new "good builds" for pilots?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    So uh.. Haven't played in a while, and all points were reset. Are there any new "good builds" for pilots?

I'm finding it pretty situational. Bulwark you can never really go wrong with. But I've found all of them useful so far, espically Ace Pilot.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    I like multi target and whatever the thing is called to ignore cover

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

I'm finding it pretty situational. Bulwark you can never really go wrong with. But I've found all of them useful so far, espically Ace Pilot.
    But there are still best/worst skill combos, right?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular

Can't go wrong with Bulwark, especially if you're utilising Vigilance. Breaching Shot + Called Shot Mastery is great for headhunting in the midgame onwards. Ace Pilot for anyone you're going to be keeping in a light/medium 'mech (and you should definitely have one or more of these pilots for certain flashpoints).

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    Finally finished the main campaign, with a double AC20 to crack that king crab right open. Felt really good.

One thing I hope they can implement is tonnage maximums (or greater rewards of under tonnage/less rewards for over tonnage). Once you get assualts it is hard to go back to mediums.

l7n41RV.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Tigliss wrote: »
    Finally finished the main campaign, with a double AC20 to crack that king crab right open. Felt really good.

One thing I hope they can implement is tonnage maximums (or greater rewards of under tonnage/less rewards for over tonnage). Once you get assualts it is hard to go back to mediums.

A alternate game mode where you get a mission brief and a tonnage limit and then put together a lance from whatever is in the game you think will work best.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

What did you use before? For the most part, they'll still be valid. The only complete replacement was Juggernaut -> Coolant Vent. The changes for Sure Footed was to add stability damage reduction to its evasion pip increases from before. And Bulwark was changed to a damage reduction only, since stab mitigation was moved to SF, that stacks with cover and guarded but doesn't require you to be stationary like the old bulwark. Basically they changed things to encourage more movement during engagements.

Though for some possible suggestions, though perhaps not "best" as I personally regard master tactician stronger than any other level 8 skill:
    light scout: sensor lock, sure footed, ace pilot.
    melee: sure footed, sensor lock, master tactician (because ace pilot doesn't work after a melee)
    lrm support/generalist fighter: sensor lock, master tactician, multi target.
    single big gun: multi target, breaching shot, bulwark
    high-heat tank: sure footed, bulwark, coolant vent

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Multi-target, Bulwark and Coolant vent is also a good combo on a big firesupport mech using lots of weapons while breaching shot is more for the mech that's using big guns like Gauss and AC20s.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    HbIwTgU.png
    6XsqZZE.png
    1nzvhWG.png

look at this big pile of BS. So many incomplete mediums ive seen once or twice. Ive sold so many Locusts, Commandos, Jenners, Spiders and Panthers I cant even count them all. There really needs to be more mech variation in the lighter weights.

from the 3025 TRO there are 12, of which we have 7.

Locust
    Wasp
    Stinger
    Commando
    Javelin
    Spider
    UrbanMech
    Valkyrie
    Firestarter
    Jenner
    Ostscout
    Panther

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    look at this big pile of BS. So many incomplete mediums ive seen once or twice. Ive sold so many Locusts, Commandos, Jenners, Spiders and Panthers I cant even count them all. There really needs to be more mech variation in the lighter weights.

from the 3025 TRO there are 12, of which we have 7.

Locust
    Wasp
    Stinger
    Commando
    Javelin
    Spider
    UrbanMech
    Valkyrie
    Firestarter
    Jenner
    Ostscout
    Panther

The only one not in the game that an MWO model exists for is the Javelin, and I want to say that one isn't there because it was released too late in Battletech's development. Wasp, Stinger, Valkyrie, and Ostscout are/were Unseen so have their own issues.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Today's Daily Dose from Baradul features a satisfying amount of dakka.

https://youtu.be/t3A6HaIgDwI

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I have purchased a flea for the cost of half a proper mechs weapon expenses and am determined to learn how to play it.

First question, how do I do good when everything is bad?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Which locust do you have?

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Multi-target, Bulwark and Coolant vent is also a good combo on a big firesupport mech using lots of weapons while breaching shot is more for the mech that's using big guns like Gauss and AC20s.

Remember that breaching shot does combo with multi shot. Shooting two targets with one AC/20 each triggers it twice

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Remember that breaching shot does combo with multi shot. Shooting two targets with one AC/20 each triggers it twice

Well I'll be damned

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Purely so that you can put a cowboy hat on your king crab and pretend that your AC20s are 240mm revolvers.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I have purchased a flea for the cost of half a proper mechs weapon expenses and am determined to learn how to play it.

First question, how do I do good when everything is bad?

Which one did you buy? My favorite is the one is the one with all energy and MASC.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Got the vanishing mech bug again - started refitting my new Thunderbolt, my Shadowhawk vanishes. Hit "Stop Work" button, Shadowhawk re-appears.

• Options
    I have a bug where mechs seems to disappear in the mech bay but if you just move something to the spot where it was it reappears in the swapped spot so it's not actually gone it's just not displaying m

I also had to do an entire 30+ minute mission with bright pink mechs for some reason.

Oh, and I just snagged a Gauss rifle. Nothing I want to put it in yet though.

• Options
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Oh, and I just snagged a Gauss rifle. Nothing I want to put it in yet though.

Did you get ammo for it as well?

It's kinda funny how the Flashpoints really open up at 3-3.5 skulls, spent ages and ages not being able to do any and now I can just fly from one FP to another doing nothing but them. Would've been nice to have at least one FP at 2 skull rating or so.

• Options
    Honestly there should be flashpoints at every skull level. They are super fun and don't seem to be too crazy content wise.

I wonder if the flashpoint "system" they've built can allow modders to inject new ones?

It's actually really fun to have a little more reason behind the missions and some continuity. It's like mechwarrior short stories.

I forgot to check if I got ammo with the rifle, probably not.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Career question:

If you pay to access a black market, is that a one time, system-wide thing or is it per planet?

(Also is it worth it? The pirates do not like me, so I'd be paying a pretty penny for access to the markets.)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Career question:

If you pay to access a black market, is that a one time, system-wide thing or is it per planet?

(Also is it worth it? The pirates do not like me, so I'd be paying a pretty penny for access to the markets.)

It opens access to all black markets.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    The current renown/loyalty system feels a bit off.

Essentially you only want to do missions against Planetary Governments, whether its a State or Pirate sponsor doesnt matter.

I am both the jack booted thug and the violent criminal, always the enemy of the little guys.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    MWO

Anybody know of a good build for Sekhmet? I haven't seen anything for it yet, which is odd given that you'd figure more than a few people would have gotten one with the last promo.

Currently running SEKHMET. I figure once I get enough C-Bills (after I'm done outfitting my Victor) I can drop the Beagle to upgrade the engine to a 255 XL, but the shooting feels kinda anemic, even though I basically can't overheat in the thing.

Nobody on
  • Options
    The current renown/loyalty system feels a bit off.

Essentially you only want to do missions against Planetary Governments, whether its a State or Pirate sponsor doesnt matter.

I am both the jack booted thug and the violent criminal, always the enemy of the little guys.

If you do that you end up constantly flying around, doing 1-2 missions per system. A lot easier if you just accept right from the start that some people are going to hate you and start making some enemies and few friends from day one.

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    MWO

Anybody know of a good build for Sekhmet? I haven't seen anything for it yet, which is odd given that you'd figure more than a few people would have gotten one with the last promo.

Currently running SEKHMET. I figure once I get enough C-Bills (after I'm done outfitting my Victor) I can drop the Beagle to upgrade the engine to a 255 XL, but the shooting feels kinda anemic, even though I basically can't overheat in the thing.

Running all srms on mine, I can post the build tomorrow if you like

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    In case somebody else wonders if the mech salvage in a certain Liao FP is worth the trouble:
    The Star League -era Griffin has far more free tonnage than basic 55-ton mediums and it comes with a bunch of DHSes installed, so even if you don't need a superb medium mech, the heat sinks alone make it very much worth it. It also comes with an ER PPC if you really want to cook yourself at 45 heat per shot (but I wouldn't recommend that, especially since it just adds more range which is the one stat PPCs don't need).

Did a huge refit on mine and it can fire 18 x12 dmg SRMs now with 35 dmg ML and a 25 dmg SL for some laser firepower on the side in case I ever run out of missiles. That's a 276 alpha from a 55 ton medium that has 1120 armor as well. This thing is going to murder any heavy or assault it goes against.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    I kinda regret spending all this time to get Roguetech working.

First half-skull mission on a one skull rating planet, difficulty set to planet...

My lance consists of:
    • Enforcer
    • Phoenix Hawk
    • Firestarter
    • Panther

Their half-company consists of

Mechs:
    • Atlas
    • Griffin
    • Cicada
    • Javelin
    • Wasp

Tanks:
    • Fulcrum
    • Fulcrum (so that's two)
    • Ranger

Tonnage breakdown:

165 tons of mech vs 245 tons of mech and 140 tons of tank.

Roguetech is just fucking dumb.

• Options

What did you use before? For the most part, they'll still be valid. The only complete replacement was Juggernaut -> Coolant Vent. The changes for Sure Footed was to add stability damage reduction to its evasion pip increases from before. And Bulwark was changed to a damage reduction only, since stab mitigation was moved to SF, that stacks with cover and guarded but doesn't require you to be stationary like the old bulwark. Basically they changed things to encourage more movement during engagements.

Though for some possible suggestions, though perhaps not "best" as I personally regard master tactician stronger than any other level 8 skill:
    melee: sure footed, sensor lock, master tactician (because ace pilot doesn't work after a melee)

Thanks for all the suggestions!

What are the current "never pick together" skills?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    So I was talking with someone who is very familiar with the inner workings of Roguetech, and they mentioned that currently, the game is picking entries from a table based on CBill value.

The combined value of the enemy augmented half-company was 40,898,146 CBills.

Assuming that each half skull is about that much, a five skull mission could conceivably involve over four hundred million CBills worth of baddies.

Or, about forty two Atlases, give or take a medium.

• Options

Sensor Lock, Multi-Target, Breaching Shot wouldn't make much sense or Sensor Lock, Bulwark, Coolant Vent.

The way I see it you are always fighting a superior number of enemies and you need to absolutely minimize your own damage, so best skills mitigate damage you take (Ace Pilot, Surefooted, Bulwark). Cooling Vent allows you to keep firing and/or jumping a lot more than normal so that's good as well. Breaching Shot needs either a big gun to be worth it or big LRMs with + damage instead of + stability, not a huge fan of it since I like concentrating all my fire on single target. Sensor Lock is IMO by far the worst skill right now but some people disagree - I guess they play the game differently. Also my melee mech has Ace Pilot, mostly because half the time he gets close he doesn't quite get to melee range and instead just fires all the support weapons at the enemy which is something Ace Pilot works with.

• Options
    For the first time ever, I had to withdrawal from a mission.

My Lance: Blackjack, Blackjack, Centurion, Firestarter

Standard search and destroy mission. Problem is the first contact I get are all way up top on a stupid steep forested hill. But at least it's 3 vehicles and one mech. So I move in with my Firestarter to get a visual on the Mechs and start plinking with my AC5s and LRMS. Move my Firestarter up (which has some Scrub piloting it because I had 4/7 jocks in the medbay. I only could do this because my character just came off 90 days bedrest after having his Firestarter cored out on him). Get close and oh what's that? A Quickdraw at full armor. Great. Pop 4 ML at him, 2 hit for a whopping 10 damage each. Damn 60% bulwark is a bitch. Then it happens. Firestarter gets Sensor locked and all hell starts to break loose. Suddenly from out of sight LRMS and PPCS start flying at this little 35 ton mech. In 1 round he loses a shit load of armor and a side torso.
    So I swing the rest of my Lance left to take out a Manticore and LRM carrier quickly. Then attempt to drill down the quick raw since he's jacking me up bad too. But with a constant bombardment of LRMS, PPCS and now LL from off screen my little Lance is getting messed up quickly.
    I'm finally able to finish off the Quickdraw and the Striker hanging out with him and the second Lance starts moving into visual range. They slowly appear one by one. A Wolverine reveals himself first. An Enforcer is next. And then in waddles a Thunderbolt. And what's that? Oh... A Grasshopper. Frick.
    I manage to battle back and eventually take down the Wolverine, but by this point my Firestarter is almost dead, one blackjack has 3 IS left in the CT the other two mechs are getting armor stripped down to internals. I managed to get the Firestarter behind the Grasshopper but with only half his weapons couldn't get the job done after 2 rounds of posing into its back side. It devolved into physical attacks and they were able to blow up my blackjack with my character in it so he's out for 90 days again. Retreated at that point. Nothing more I could do.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Love the new career mode and the black markets. Managed to snag two battlemaster parts even though I only have two heavy mechs in my lance. Think I’ll farm cbills and pop around the different markets looking for a third. I also have one Atlas part.

yossarian_lives on
    "I see everything twice!"

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »

Sensor Lock, Multi-Target, Breaching Shot wouldn't make much sense or Sensor Lock, Bulwark, Coolant Vent.

The way I see it you are always fighting a superior number of enemies and you need to absolutely minimize your own damage, so best skills mitigate damage you take (Ace Pilot, Surefooted, Bulwark). Cooling Vent allows you to keep firing and/or jumping a lot more than normal so that's good as well. Breaching Shot needs either a big gun to be worth it or big LRMs with + damage instead of + stability, not a huge fan of it since I like concentrating all my fire on single target. Sensor Lock is IMO by far the worst skill right now but some people disagree - I guess they play the game differently. Also my melee mech has Ace Pilot, mostly because half the time he gets close he doesn't quite get to melee range and instead just fires all the support weapons at the enemy which is something Ace Pilot works with.

That's a bummer, as on its surface it sounds like a really cool mod.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    MWO

My build code: AV9920R0|Hd|FPpF0|PG|PG|d?qF0|PG|PG|d?rD0|U@|d?sD0|U@|d?tL0uL0v50|EPw606060 Gist of it: 2HMGs/4SPLs, XL270 and 4 jump jets. It's basically Larsh's build for it and he's got some great highlight vids with it on his youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBUtslmK3-c

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    Starting to feel the crunch of Ironman mode. Lost my damn Enforcer to a never ending stream of Manticores and Bulldogs. Luckily my pilot survived since shes my second best one. But losing that 50 ton beast is a big loss.

kx3klFE.png