As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

President George H.W. Bush has died, age 94.

12346»

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Anyway here's some CNN footage (twitter account is a CNN commentator) of this douchebag not participating in a hymn, which is like the easiest thing to do at a funeral service. You get told what page to flip to and what to look for to start reading. He couldn't even do that much.

Edit - I mean really, look - they have printed funeral programs, which means relevant scripture and hymns are going to be there. Trump didn't have to navigate the Bible. Not that he could if he had to. Touching one would probably start to burn his hand.

Henroid on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Kaputa wrote: »
    Bush Sr. probably does better than most post-WWII presidents, including some Democratic ones, if judged by the number of catastrophes they contributed to or caused while in office. Like I'm not entirely convinced that he was a worse president than Obama. "US President" sets a pretty low moral bar, so I'm not saying the tone of the thread is necessarily unjustified, but by that set of standards I'm hard pressed to see why he was so terrible. Highway of Death is probably the worst thing brought up in this thread, and that is terrible, but it pales in comparison to, say, the invasion of Iraq or the Vietnam War or arguably the destruction of the Libyan government.
    I always kinda wondered why he stopped where he did with Iraq. A strange war for a US president.
    My theory is that it's because he wasn't a dumbass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YENbElb5-xY

Cheney fairly accurately explained in 1994 why the 2003 invasion was an idiotic idea. Which becomes disturbing when one considers his role in the Bush jr. administration.

I think the idea that Cheney suffers from heart surgery-related psychosis has a lot of merit and evidence.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The New York Times just openly wishing for a theocratic autocracy.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Specifically Ross Douthat, who writes that column twice a week.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    The New York Times just openly wishing for a theocratic autocracy.

It is very telling that the negatives he chose in the age of Trump to describe our lesser leaders are “meritocratic, diverse, and secular.”

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Their oped section is a trainwreck

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

Their oped section is a trainwreck

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GsWj7Q5iPus&list=PLZQfnFyelTBOQ15kmHSgEbdjzLMWzZpL7

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Ross Douthat wishes we had a Ruling Class that was a mix of Aaron Sorkin and PG Wodehouse, and how dare you point out that a Democracy shouldn't have a "ruling class".

I forget offhand, does his death make anything new available from NARA/his library now? Or is it still just as things age in?

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Kaputa wrote: »
    Highway of Death is probably the worst thing brought up in this thread, and that is terrible, but it pales in comparison to, say, the invasion of Iraq or the Vietnam War or arguably the destruction of the Libyan government.

Nah the worst thing is the many civilian deaths from his Iraq bombing campaign and the even more deaths that resulted from the targeted destruction of infrastructure. They destroyed almost Iraq's entire electrical capacity. 100k deaths is a conservative estimate.

Sure it's not the invasion or the forever war it was a part of, but, as your example of Cheney shows, it was not like they didn't want to invade. If HW's defense is that he didn't create as much destruction as he wanted to, then it is a pretty weak defense.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    George W and Michelle Obama sharing candy is long standing tradition between the two of them. They as a former President and a First Lady have ended up being seated next to each other at many events and functions and it's something they've always done.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Anyway here's some CNN footage (twitter account is a CNN commentator) of this douchebag not participating in a hymn, which is like the easiest thing to do at a funeral service. You get told what page to flip to and what to look for to start reading. He couldn't even do that much.

Edit - I mean really, look - they have printed funeral programs, which means relevant scripture and hymns are going to be there. Trump didn't have to navigate the Bible. Not that he could if he had to. Touching one would probably start to burn his hand.

Like, I was raised Christian and I’ve read three different versions of the Bible growing up in that environment, but I don’t believe in that bullshit anymore. So I don’t believe in an Anti-Christ.

That said, if there was a fucking Anti-Christ, it’s Trump. A demagog that takes over for Christian conservatives and makes them bend their beliefs to his will, mocking Christ’s teachings, yet they capitulate for some minor gain compared to the teachings of heaven.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a25371742/george-hw-bush-dies-94-republican-party/
    However, as Bush rose in the Republican Party, its power base swung south and west. It slowly embraced empowered radical religious fundamentalism. And, most significantly, in the wake of the Civil Rights Movement, it made a conscious decision to energize itself through the splintered, but still powerful, remnants of American apartheid.

Bush never appeared comfortable with these developments, but he never could quite bring himself to denounce them, and he had very little compunction about using them when he needed to do so.
    He felt he had to act in this ridiculous fashion, and he wasn’t strong enough to fight against his own ambition. Battlefield courage and political courage can be quite different things.

And that, I think, for me, anyway, is the final verdict on the politician, anyway. He could have refused to run a race-baiting campaign against Ralph Yarborough in Texas. He didn’t. He could have stood up for old-line Yankee Republicanism against the rising, brainless fanaticism that entered the Republican Party with Barry Goldwater and blossomed rankly through the victories of Ronald Reagan. There is no evidence that he ever did anything of the sort.

There's more, but the bolded seems to sum up the vantage point pretty well.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I find that the ultimate (religious) hypocrisy is allowing your eternal beliefs to be subjugated by short term mortal gain.

Oh, your party is making you act against what you believe to be wrong?

Congratulations, you are a sinner and will burn in Hell.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

It's a really weird thing to do.

I can understand not reading if you had conflicting beliefs, but for a self professed Christian to essentially take a knee during the apostle's creed is bizzare.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    This isn't hard. He literally can't read it. And he sure as hell wouldn't be bothered to memorize it.

Remember Trump needs things printed in huge font in short bulleted lists. Jabs at him being a toddler aside, its probably due to vision problems he won't admit to (as he has been on record in saying that glasses make people look weak).

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    This isn't hard. He literally can't read it. And he sure as hell wouldn't be bothered to memorize it.

Remember Trump needs things printed in huge font in short bulleted lists. Jabs at him being a toddler aside, its probably due to vision problems he won't admit to (as he has been on record in saying that glasses make people look weak).

You know, at this point I really ought not to be surprised at the amount of blatantly stupid shit trump holds to be true, but here I am.

sig.gif
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    At least pretend. Like, hold the paper in front of you and move your lips.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    HerrCron wrote: »
    Enc wrote: »

You know, at this point I really ought not to be surprised at the amount of blatantly stupid shit trump holds to be true, but here I am.

It's like Peter Pan became President.

Like the original one that originated all the racist stuff and was committing lost boy atrocities on the side.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    As usual, Trump has to make everything all about himself even when he isn’t trying to

The body of a deceased war criminal/former president is barely in the ground and all we can talk about is how Trump doesn’t know the Creed

Of fucking course he doesn’t, he’s not a Christian (saying you’re one doesn’t make it so), he doesn’t read the Bible, doesn’t know what it says, doesn’t follow its teachings; not knowing the Creed or any hymns being some kind of smoking gun is like pointing at the butler and accusing him of the murder because he lied about his alibi after everybody else has already noted that he’s still holding the knife and stabbing the victim

HW was part of the cabal of rich, white Republicans that really started to cast the different rules for the wealthy/powerful/white in stone

Being a president means you will have certainly made some enemies, the difference I think is in who those enemies are and why

It does not paint a pretty picture of George HW Bush, no matter how many people who knew him personally stood up at the pulpit and gave pithy, feel-good anecdotes about what a cool guy he was if you knew him IRL

Trump’s lack of anything even resembling attempting to look religious is a sideshow attempting to be the main attraction

• Options
    As usual, Trump has to make everything all about himself even when he isn’t trying to

The body of a deceased war criminal/former president is barely in the ground and all we can talk about is how Trump doesn’t know the Creed

Of fucking course he doesn’t, he’s not a Christian (saying you’re one doesn’t make it so), he doesn’t read the Bible, doesn’t know what it says, doesn’t follow its teachings; not knowing the Creed or any hymns being some kind of smoking gun is like pointing at the butler and accusing him of the murder because he lied about his alibi after everybody else has already noted that he’s still holding the knife and stabbing the victim

HW was part of the cabal of rich, white Republicans that really started to cast the different rules for the wealthy/powerful/white in stone

Being a president means you will have certainly made some enemies, the difference I think is in who those enemies are and why

It does not paint a pretty picture of George HW Bush, no matter how many people who knew him personally stood up at the pulpit and gave pithy, feel-good anecdotes about what a cool guy he was if you knew him IRL

Trump’s lack of anything even resembling attempting to look religious is a sideshow attempting to be the main attraction

To be fair, this particular discussion isn't completely about Trump, either. It's more a way to express disgust at American evangelicals, who want to make everyone else live their beliefs at the force of law (aka at the barrel of a gun) while not even adhering to those beliefs themselves.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Most hardcore evangelicals will take the opportunity to recite a hymn of whatever

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    HW's secret service code name was 'Timberwolf" and man that's just way too much of a bitchin code name for fuckin George Bush Senior.

I don't know how codename rights work but since hes dead can I call dibs on "Timberwolf?"

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    HW's secret service code name was 'Timberwolf" and man that's just way too much of a bitchin code name for fuckin George Bush Senior.

I don't know how codename rights work but since hes dead can I call dibs on "Timberwolf?"
    I hear timberwolf and all I can think of is:
    timber-wolf-battletech-32081-1920x1200.jpg

Which Ironically, was first shown in 1989, so it's possible that some members of the secret service were aid battletech fans.