As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Breathtaking [jobs]

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    LaOs wrote: »
    Speaking of workplace ergonomics, I think I need to get some new shoes. I spend 4 hours a day walking around a supermarket and it does make my feet pretty sore. I just wear a pair of Etsy skate shoes I've had for years. Wondering what would be a good replacement.

My fiance swears by her Skechers shoes. She teaches, invigilates exams at a polytechnic, and works cash at a grocery store, and wears various models of Skechers shoes that all have the same goga mat foam sole. (I think that's the name they use for the foam, anyway. She's got black trainers-looking shoes for the grocery store and then classier ones for teaching and whatnot.)

Skechers are surprisingly legit nice shoes. I wore a pair* for years when I worked mall retail and was on my feet the whole time. They're comfortable, inexpensive, and have been getting even better over time as far as the ergonomics go.

* I mean, a couple different pairs, but you get what I mean.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i swear by new balance walking shoes. the 990 is great, buy a pair every few years until they become dust, buy another one.

basically the only shoe i ever wear unless i need to wear dress shoes.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Everyday in December is a different "holiday theme". the 19th is "Dress like an elf day". Due to an accident on the part of Hot Topic my wife and I each have about $200 extra cash right now.

Should I blow like $45-$50 buying elf ears, a cloak, a blond wig and a fake bow to dress like a Tolkein Elf? I kind of really want to be a smart ass....

I'm not saying this sounds like you and your wife robbed a Hot Topic, but it also doesn't not sound like that.

We ordered some blind box figures for her for Christmas, she bought 2 and I bought her 4 in secret. They accidentally send us BOXES of them. So we got 6 full boxes of limited edition figures. We tried calling Hot Topic to report this but after over an hour on the phone of them not understanding us, we looked online and found that a few years back this happened to someone else and when they reported it Hot Topic just charged them for the full boxes instead of taking them back...so we decided to not do that and just Ebay them. She opened one and got all of the critters so we had 5 to sell, sold 3 of them so far and made about $400 after Ebay's cut and shipping. Its been nice to have extra Christmas money and I don't feel bad because we tried to do the right thing and they made it hard.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Everyday in December is a different "holiday theme". the 19th is "Dress like an elf day". Due to an accident on the part of Hot Topic my wife and I each have about $200 extra cash right now.

Should I blow like $45-$50 buying elf ears, a cloak, a blond wig and a fake bow to dress like a Tolkein Elf? I kind of really want to be a smart ass....

I'm not saying this sounds like you and your wife robbed a Hot Topic, but it also doesn't not sound like that.

We ordered some blind box figures for her for Christmas, she bought 2 and I bought her 4 in secret. They accidentally send us BOXES of them. So we got 6 full boxes of limited edition figures. We tried calling Hot Topic to report this but after over an hour on the phone of them not understanding us, we looked online and found that a few years back this happened to someone else and when they reported it Hot Topic just charged them for the full boxes instead of taking them back...so we decided to not do that and just Ebay them. She opened one and got all of the critters so we had 5 to sell, sold 3 of them so far and made about $400 after Ebay's cut and shipping. Its been nice to have extra Christmas money and I don't feel bad because we tried to do the right thing and they made it hard.

Hell, it's not as if Hot Topic are going to miss them.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Just as an FYI, anything that gets sent to you that you didn't order... you cannot be charged for that:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0181-unordered-merchandise

There were a few companies in the 90s and 00s that did this (Pyramid Collection had a few sister companies that did this) and they'd ship you out shit and tried to get you to pay for it because you didn't "cancel in time" by returning the envelope they scotch taped to the outside. So this applies to anything that gets sent to you now, even by amazon or whatever. You obviously have to ship it back if they ask you, but the seller has to cover shipping, you're not required to pay for it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I’ve noticed a downturn in Skechers quality the past couple of years. My daughter managed to completely ruin a pair of Skechers in 6 weeks (and she’s not hard on shoes. Her latest pair have lasted her all year). The pair I last bought was also not so good. :(

I avoid New Balance because Trump, but I do like my ASICS (autocorrect capitalized that all) a lot. They’re pretty good if you have normal flat feet (as opposed to Mori’s severely flat feet) :p

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Just as an FYI, anything that gets sent to you that you didn't order... you cannot be charged for that:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0181-unordered-merchandise

There were a few companies in the 90s and 00s that did this (Pyramid Collection had a few sister companies that did this) and they'd ship you out shit and tried to get you to pay for it because you didn't "cancel in time" by returning the envelope they scotch taped to the outside. So this applies to anything that gets sent to you now, even by amazon or whatever. You obviously have to ship it back if they ask you, but the seller has to cover shipping, you're not required to pay for it.

On two occasions we've received mistaken shipments from Amazon. In each case we reported it and received a half-hearted response indicating that we could send the stuff back if we wanted to. I'm pretty sure they'd rather take the inventory hit than deal with the logistics of managing and restocking returned merchandise.

There might be a dollar threshold for that but I imagine it's relatively high.

• Options
    Well now I've discovered Poncho Sweaters and Cloak Sweaters are a thing and I want a bunch of them

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    I’ve noticed a downturn in Skechers quality the past couple of years. My daughter managed to completely ruin a pair of Skechers in 6 weeks (and she’s not hard on shoes. Her latest pair have lasted her all year). The pair I last bought was also not so good. :(

I avoid New Balance because Trump, but I do like my ASICS (autocorrect capitalized that all) a lot. They’re pretty good if you have normal flat feet (as opposed to Mori’s severely flat feet) :p

I normally get Nike shoes, but my current pair are some Filas that are pretty good for the price I got them at.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    I have dumb wide feet so I have to get New Balance pretty much. Sometimes Sketcher and Nike has wide sizes but not often

• Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    Do the Germans have a word for "that feeling when you realize, in all likelihood nobody will read/consider the email you've spent hours putting together"?

This is a sucky feeling.

Huh...
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    FF wrote: »
    Do the Germans have a word for "that feeling when you realize, in all likelihood nobody will read/consider the email you've spent hours putting together"?

This is a sucky feeling.

Scadenfuchdis?

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

This is a sucky feeling.

TuesdayDienstag.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Thanks for the input folks. The internet at large seems to agree Skechers are good and they look within my budget so I'll try and find some of them to try out soon.

• Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

This is a sucky feeling.

Scadenfuchdis?

Excellent.

This is a sucky feeling.

TuesdayDienstag.

But...it's Thursd---ohhhh. Yeah :|

Huh...
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I have dumb wide feet so I have to get New Balance pretty much. Sometimes Sketcher and Nike has wide sizes but not often

ASICS! I’ve found them to be the most comfortably wide. In fact, their wide shoes are perhaps a little too side for me!

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I have narrow feet and I can never find narrow sizes.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Chucks are very good for narrow feet but somehow offer less than zero arch support.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I'm reluctant to be this guy, but I'd always advise against supporting Sketchers because they're a shitty company that's well known for stealing other designers' work and tries to sell cheaper, shittier versions of good products. They're basically the Thermaltake or Urban Outfitters of the shoe industry.

Honestly, you're better off going with Payless if you're looking for something in their price range because you'll get something cheaper that's just as good, without the design theft. ASICS or New Balance is a huge step up in quality for a small step up in price.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    adidas sambas are on the narrow side and have good arch support

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Chucks are very good for narrow feet but somehow offer less than zero arch support.

Yeah I've worn chucks for years but always add an insole for the arch support since I am on my feet all day as a teacher.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

Of the big sneaker brands Adidas are the slimmest in my experience. They never fit my feet.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    adidas sambas are on the narrow side and have good arch support

Adidas Stan Smiths are good for narrow feet, too. And they're pretty cheap and durable. A bit more support than Chucks.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Check ASICS website, all of their styles are available in C widths, most are also available in D and E widths, some are also available in EE, B, and A widths...

• Options

Yeah I've worn chucks for years but always add an insole for the arch support since I am on my feet all day as a teacher.

What kind of insoles do you use? I have some extremely good violet Chucks that I wore for my wedding that I'd like to wear more, but even with gel insoles I can't get through a whole day in them.

• Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Yeah I always get supportive insoles in addition to comfy slipproof soles

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Keen makes a good work shoe.

• Options
    edited December 2018

What kind of insoles do you use? I have some extremely good violet Chucks that I wore for my wedding that I'd like to wear more, but even with gel insoles I can't get through a whole day in them.

For a while I was using Dr Scholls but then I got a pair of Chuck IIs that had an insole and when those shoes wore out I just pulled out the insole part and transferred it.

My only problem with Chucks was that since I wore them everyday I'd make it like 6 months before needing a new pair and unless I went all the way out to the converse store at the outlet mall, my only options for new ones were black and maybe one other color.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »

ASICS! I’ve found them to be the most comfortably wide. In fact, their wide shoes are perhaps a little too side for me!

I gave up on New Balance about the time when the shoe manufacturers gave up on Thailand
    Out of desperation I started to get Sketchers for my huge feet they last a bit longer but I really should get shoes more often than when they are beyond gone and should have been thrown away

• Options

For a while I was using Dr Scholls but then I got a pair of Chuck IIs that had an insole and when those shoes wore out I just pulled out the insole part and transferred it.

My only problem with Chucks was that since I wore them everyday I'd make it like 6 months before needing a new pair and unless I went all the way out to the converse store at the outlet mall, my only options for new ones were black and maybe one other color.

It is wild how much worse the quality is on Chucks ever since Nike bought them and they offshored production.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    chucks were my go-to sneaker for years until I tried a pair of sambas

they're more comfortable, cheaper, and they last like four times as long

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    SeaVees are my go to chuck replacement since their quality tanked. Such a good shoe.

• Options
    I just liked the hi-tops chucks though

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The lab is so overheated I have to go outside without a coat once per half hour to not die

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    My go-tos were K-Swiss, because I had a pair that died last year that lasted 6 years!

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    The lab is so overheated I have to go outside without a coat once per half hour to not die

The other day it was in the low 30's F and they were running the air conditioner at work :rotate:

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Duluth makes an excellent work boot. I've been wearing the same pair for the better part of 4 years, just change out the Superfeet insoles every year.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    My non-work shoes are Adidas Americana.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular

You have my axe!

• Options
    If i had the time i would finish the aeldari farseer i am building the helm has been a world of choices for me and do dress as an "elf" day

This discussion has been closed.