As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

For Sale: 2017 [Car thread] - No Rust! New Clutch! Blown Turbo!

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    What condition is the Miata in?

The Charger R/T is fun. With a Borla exhaust, it's even more fun. But it's fat and heavy and sucks down gas, and anything that needed to get the frame straightened gets a no from me.

Other than some bulkhead rust, which I am changing out, it’s in pretty good shape.

sg4lr3mpc0le.jpeg

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    My $0.02 is to keep your wonderful Miata!

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    The mileage is awfully high too. How well has the owner kept up with the maintenance?

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Okay, I will keep the Miata.

Thanks team!

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Eh, 340 horsepower in a large sedan like that just isn't very fast anymore. And the R/T doesn't even have the better suspension and brakes from the SRT-8.

Primarily though, that crash damage in the car's history will always be a hard no from me. On any car.

EDIT: Whoops, looks like I was late and should have read to the last page of the thread...

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    skip barber racing school, something ive been wanting to do for a while, went bankrupt last year

they're back under new ownership...

Good: new cars, new equipment

Bad: costs between 2x and 4x more depending on what you're wanting, and you're now 100% liable for any and all damage, and you can't buy insurance for any activity that involves passing

hmm oh well... one day i'll get on track in something with more than 30HP

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Eh, 340 horsepower in a large sedan like that just isn't very fast anymore. And the R/T doesn't even have the better suspension and brakes from the SRT-8.

Primarily though, that crash damage in the car's history will always be a hard no from me. On any car.

EDIT: Whoops, looks like I was late and should have read to the last page of the thread...

While you're not wrong, horsepower has been greatly democratized since 2006, the 390lb-ft of torque comes on pretty early and make even those early LX cars feel like a blast from a dead stop.

Too bad the pre-bailout cars kinda fall apart around the engines.

jgeis on
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    I think I blew a fuse today trying to check my tire pressures with a little air compressor. Stereo, clock, and cig lighter (which was powering the compressor) all dead. Car still runs and starts up fine, just wondering how urgent it is to get this checked out as I have to do 2 hours of driving today for work (which is why I was checking the tire pressures...)

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Peccavi wrote: »
    I think I blew a fuse today trying to check my tire pressures with a little air compressor. Stereo, clock, and cig lighter (which was powering the compressor) all dead. Car still runs and starts up fine, just wondering how urgent it is to get this checked out as I have to do 2 hours of driving today for work (which is why I was checking the tire pressures...)

Fuse panels/boxes often have a few spare fuses in them, just look for the one that's blown and if you've got a spare, swap it. Otherwise, a replacement fuse is difficult to buy individually, you typically buy packets of 10+ of the same fuse for a few bucks, or a kit of assorted rated fuses for more like $15-20 from somewhere like Autozone.

Of course, you only really need to replace the fuse if you want to listen to music and charge your phone (cig lighter) whilst you're doing all that driving today.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Peccavi wrote: »

Fuse panels/boxes often have a few spare fuses in them, just look for the one that's blown and if you've got a spare, swap it. Otherwise, a replacement fuse is difficult to buy individually, you typically buy packets of 10+ of the same fuse for a few bucks, or a kit of assorted rated fuses for more like $15-20 from somewhere like Autozone.

Of course, you only really need to replace the fuse if you want to listen to music and charge your phone (cig lighter) whilst you're doing all that driving today.

Try talking to a local auto repair garage, we carry fuses and we'd sell them individually. Probably give one away, being honest. They're not a costly item and builds good-will.

Otherwise though, it's your accessory fuse. It certainly won't leave you stranded to not change the fuse out, but it will be annoying as all hell not having a stereo for 2+ hrs.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    If you had access to canyon roads and could drive one of these for a single day, which would you pick:

2016 VW Golf R (manual)
    2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack (6.4L V8, manual)
    2018 Kia Stinger GT (RWD, auto)

• Options
    Golf R.

Ideally though, an LT4-swapped Toyota 86.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I agree with the Toyota 86 idea, but of these choices I'd go Stinger.

• Options
    Golf R

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Challenger. Sure it's a bit of a boat, but a little finesse with the clutch and you can have a lot of fun in the twisties.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Golf R, how is this even a question?

• Options
    I figured those three were the most interesting I could get for a reasonable price as a Christmas present Turo rental to myself.

The R seems like the absolute best canyon carver, the Challenger seems like the best too hoon, and the Stinger seems like a nice balance.

• Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    Hi car thread! I come to ask opinions since I am not a car person. I'd like to buy a used car in the next year or so - still saving but aiming for being able to put $5k down, and my car budget is about $15-16k since I want sub-$250/month car payments. My current car ('99 Corolla) is a manual and despite being nervous about learning I've actually come around and really like driving a standard transmission, especially in ice and snow, but it seems like they might be hard to find. My car is also extremely basic so I'm looking forward to things like power locking, power windows and an rpm gauge. Also, the driver's side door handle on the inside is broken and I don't know how to fix it so I've been rolling down the window and opening it from the outside to let myself out or hopping over the emergency brake and letting myself out the passenger's side. It is a sight to behold.

I have only ever driven Toyotas so I'm very partial to them. I'm thinking about a RAV4 but not sure if they make very many as standard transmissions anymore? I have also considered a Subaru Forester (basically the state car of Colorado, where I live). I don't want to drive anything huge because I'm pretty used to driving a small car and I parallel/street park all the time since I live in Denver. I hate driving in snow and ice so kind of want an all wheel or four wheel drive. Thoughts/recommendations on other vehicles to have on my radar for the eventual search?

• Options
    The Challenger will be the one if you want to burn rubber, the Golf will be the one if you want to slice and dice those corners up, and the Kia will be the one if you want to be comfortable while you enjoy the view. (no hate on the Kia - it's an excellent car, but the auto isn't exactly a race car)

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Hi car thread! I come to ask opinions since I am not a car person. I'd like to buy a used car in the next year or so - still saving but aiming for being able to put $5k down, and my car budget is about $15-16k since I want sub-$250/month car payments. My current car ('99 Corolla) is a manual and despite being nervous about learning I've actually come around and really like driving a standard transmission, especially in ice and snow, but it seems like they might be hard to find. My car is also extremely basic so I'm looking forward to things like power locking, power windows and an rpm gauge. Also, the driver's side door handle on the inside is broken and I don't know how to fix it so I've been rolling down the window and opening it from the outside to let myself out or hopping over the emergency brake and letting myself out the passenger's side. It is a sight to behold.

I have only ever driven Toyotas so I'm very partial to them. I'm thinking about a RAV4 but not sure if they make very many as standard transmissions anymore? I have also considered a Subaru Forester (basically the state car of Colorado, where I live). I don't want to drive anything huge because I'm pretty used to driving a small car and I parallel/street park all the time since I live in Denver. I hate driving in snow and ice so kind of want an all wheel or four wheel drive. Thoughts/recommendations on other vehicles to have on my radar for the eventual search?

If you enjoy taking risks and like the idea of an out of warranty German car, there's this 2011 BMW 335:
    https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=501456716&zip=80014&referrer=/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=80014&startYear=1981&numRecords=100&sortBy=mileageASC&maxPrice=16000&incremental=all&firstRecord=0&marketExtension=on&endYear=2019&searchRadius=50&driveGroup=AWD4WD&transmissionCodes=MAN&startYear=1981&numRecords=100&maxPrice=16000&firstRecord=0&endYear=2019&searchRadius=50&makeCode1=BMW&modelCode1=335IXD&clickType=listing

Beyond that, plenty of used Subarus in your area with manuals. There are also seem to be good selection of Mini Countryman AWD models if you want something like that.

• Options
    What sort of driving do you do? Sounds like mostly city driving to work and home. What kind of hobbies do you have? How many people do you need/would like to transport? Do you need lots of space to haul stuff around?

• Options
    What sort of driving do you do? Sounds like mostly city driving to work and home. What kind of hobbies do you have? How many people do you need/would like to transport? Do you need lots of space to haul stuff around?

Mostly city driving and we use my significant other’s car (Jeep patriot) for mountain driving. It would be nice to have two cars that are able to head into the mountains/up trails - we do a lot of hiking/climbing and some backpacking. He’s probably going to get something that can handle heavier duty off-roading at some point but it would be nice to have my car be able to do some of the hiking driving. I don’t need a ton of space but it’d be nice to have a little more leg room for passengers in the backseat (and I’ll probably still have this car if/when we have kids so maybe car seats are a consideration? Weird to think about).

• Options

Mostly city driving and we use my significant other’s car (Jeep patriot) for mountain driving. It would be nice to have two cars that are able to head into the mountains/up trails - we do a lot of hiking/climbing and some backpacking. He’s probably going to get something that can handle heavier duty off-roading at some point but it would be nice to have my car be able to do some of the hiking driving. I don’t need a ton of space but it’d be nice to have a little more leg room for passengers in the backseat (and I’ll probably still have this car if/when we have kids so maybe car seats are a consideration? Weird to think about).

See if you can find a low-mileage Subaru Forester with a complete and detailed service history inside your budget.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Our 2015 Forester sounds perfect for your situation. Not sure if anyone wants to buy it now though. It’ll have all new front end by next week thanks to a deer collision and full coverage insurance. Great car though.

• Options
    Sounds like a crossover or small SUV would check all of those boxes.

As mentioned, the Subaru Outback is pretty much purpose-built for this sort of lifestyle. AWD, decent power but not too crazy, five doors, a back seat for people who have legs, and a functional trunk with storage space. Plus there's always roof racks and the like. Since you live in CO you can throw a stick in any direction and find one for sale.

For the Outback, the fourth generation (2009-2014) should fall within your budget fairly comfortably. Looks like the base trim 2.5i comes with the regular flat four engine and a manual six speed transmission (also sold with an automatic continuously variable transmission as an option). The upgraded 3.6R has the flat six engine and a five speed auto. Should have no problem finding a 2.5i in your price range.

The fifth generation Outback (2015-present) has the same engine but drops manual transmissions entirely. The 2.5i trim is a CVT. From some casual searching it looks like Outbacks of this generation are in the 23k to 35k range, depending on age.

The Subaru Forester is basically a somewhat larger Outback, leaning more towards being a station wagon rather than an SUV. It looks like the third generation (2008-2012) has a fairly similar engine and transmission options as the fourth gen Outback, and the fourth generation (2012-present) is similar to the fifth gen Outback.

Forester prices look to be overall cheaper than Outback prices. I see numerous examples of model year 2016 Foresters around 17-19k. Older ones seem to be roughly 14-17k.

This is fun, I'm going to keep looking at some other cars in this category.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Oh, mine is auto CVT. So not perfect. Oh well!

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    So, I think I'm just going to keep my 14 Mustang GT and do stuff with it

What's a good place to start? I was thinking exhaust and a tune, I'd probably like to put a different spoiler on it too. Do you buy online? Find a shop somehow and order through them? Ultimate noob questions, I know

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Obviously, when I made that post I definitely meant a third generation Forester XT Limited in manual. Obviously.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

What's a good place to start? I was thinking exhaust and a tune, I'd probably like to put a different spoiler on it too. Do you buy online? Find a shop somehow and order through them? Ultimate noob questions, I know

For the exhaust find video clips of some options from various reputable vendors. Then just order the one that has the sound you like the best.

For the tune find a reputable shop. Talk to them and see what kind of gains you would get with what set-ups. You may want to get some other parts before you get the tune to get the most out of the initial tune.

Have fun with it!

• Options

A supercharger kit.

• Options
    edited December 2018

I recommend this aftermarket part supplier:
    https://www.cjponyparts.com/
    Those guys have a great YouTube channel on how to do things. I've bought a few things from them.

As for as specific things, unless something has drastically changed in the 14 years between your Mustang and mine, let it breathe more. Open up the exhaust (nice, loud Mustangs are the best!), get at least a cold-air intake, and tune it.

And when that stops doing anything for you, replace the intake plenum and throttle body, get some headers, and tune it.

And then when that isn't enough, THEN you super- or turbocharge it. Don't listen to Chris.

You can add some more cams here too.

And then after that, you need a built motor, probably stroked or something.

As for tuning, you can try it yourself. Or find a shop. Most shops (I wish I could say all) would love to tune your vehicle. Often they'll supply the correct chip to get tuned, for which they'll charge you. They'll also charge you for the time of the tuner to do the work and to use the dyno. I haven't done it in a decade, but the most expensive part was the chip. Overall I think it was like $600 or so, but I went with a group so we got a minor group discount. I'm sure things have changed since then, but I don't foresee it being egregiously expensive.

After you add your intake and exhaust modifications, you'll want to get it tuned. You will have some gain by just doing that, for sure. But the car won't be able to take full advantage of it.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I would stay away from adding too much power to a ‘14 mustang. They are the last year with the solid axle and can be a real bear to drive when the numbers go up. I’d focus on exaust, tune, suspension and braking. That will maximize the fun.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    You are all awesome. Thank you!

• Options
    Yeah. I should have included brakes at least. Suspension is good too. Tires are also super important. Your literal safety relies on them not being terrible.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Anyone got some good dashcam recommendations?

I feel like I should have one for my next car but I'm not really sure where to start. Simple is fine. Reliable and very importantly not too big and chunky. I hate having stuff visible on my windshield so ideally something that can be out of the way as much as possible.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    All I've done to my Mustang is the exhaust. I'm thinking my next step is going to be a tri-ax shifter from Steeda along with a intake and tune. It just came out of warranty, so might as well.

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular

We had an older Honda CR-V from the late 90's when I was younger. It did the jobs you're talking about quite well. I can't speak to new production ones at all though.

• Options

A supercharger kit.
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I would stay away from adding too much power to a ‘14 mustang. They are the last year with the solid axle and can be a real bear to drive when the numbers go up. I’d focus on exaust, tune, suspension and braking. That will maximize the fun.

Pffft, live a little - 650 wheel horsepower is all you need to smoke the tyres into top gear and write an 11 on the road that goes for hundreds of metres.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    I've autocrossed a 650hp car, and if it's not "too much power," it's awfully close.

450-500 is the sweet spot imo.

This discussion has been closed.