As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best Christmas Movies [Chat]

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    We should be doing more to tell these people that they are wrong.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Nightmare Before Christmas
    bowen wrote: »
    Harold looks like bilbo from the animated hobbit

I spent a lot of time asking myself why Bilbo had a gun and a container of gasoline.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Lol heat is out in the office, fuck.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Umm Actually Christmas is a capitalist expansion of Christian Dogma
    I think it's definitely not fair to toss the student loan statistics under the bus due to 40% of the loan being the result of post-graduate studies when the education system (and the job market) actually encourages students to pursue a master's the same way we, in the early 00's, pushed people to get a bachelor's degree

most master's degree programs, even many in the sciences, aren't funded

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Die Hard
    RedTide wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Harold looks like bilbo from the animated hobbit

They both look like Bilbo's, just from different Tolkien books

I wasn't going to mention it but you're right.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    "hi, I was thinking about asking you to get coffee, but can we skip to the part where we cuddle by the fireplace and do stuff to each other?"

no

get me damn cup of coffee

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Lol heat is out in the office, fuck.

They turned the heat off in my building on friday to fix it

except, it was warmer in my classroom than it had ever been

guess the heat was turning on, just wasn't warming up so we had essentially been running the air conditioner all winter

wooooops

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    I think it's definitely not fair to toss the student loan statistics under the bus due to 40% of the loan being the result of post-graduate studies when the education system (and the job market) actually encourages students to pursue a master's the same way we, in the early 00's, pushed people to get a bachelor's degree

most master's degree programs, even many in the sciences, aren't funded

Hi! I am one one of those.

(I literally couldn't have my job with out an MA though....)

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    8w9DfbU.jpg

• Options
    For example

My wife has a bachelor's of science in anthropology and archaeology

except, contract archeology jobs require a master's in archaeology before you get a permanent position that isn't a contract digging gig each summer

and masters programs in archaeology aren't typically funded soooooo

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Hammering away in Dreamweaver like keyboard cat because I can't feel my fingers.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    For example

except, contract archeology jobs require a master's in archaeology before you get a permanent position that isn't a contract digging gig each summer

I have a friend who went and got the MA.

She does digs almost full time and lives the poverty life style of a scientist who depends on digging up bones.

This is part of the reason I decided young not to become a paleontologist.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    For example

This is literally the bullet I dodged by getting off the education train when I did.

Admittedly, what I've done instead has yet to really pay off, but fingers crossed and all.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Also, phd programs that are funded aren't typically adjusted for cost of living, or have meager health benefits

I made 22k for 6 years as a phd student with insurance that only covered ER visits, and only barely

so when i had medical bills i took out student loans to pay rent....

my story is probably not unique either!

• Options
    Just wanna go home and curl up in the dog's bed in front of the fireplace.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    I believe the French Foreign Legion is still accepting recruits, everyone

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    PantsB is right about one thing though, and that is if I chose to do it I could easily be making more money, as Powerpuppies will never let me forget

but i refuse because i want to ~~~teach zoology at a small liberal arts school~~~

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Did a double-take at this academic affiliation because mines? what?

South Dakota School of Mines & Technology
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/south-dakota-mine-gets-repurposed-as-underground-science-lab/

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Die Hard
    I was living on about £6k a year during my PhD (semi-funded) and it was horrendous

I'm entirely convinced that if I ever lose sympathy for the less well-off then past Burnage is going travel through time and punch me in the face

• Options
    Kamiro wrote: »
    PantsB is right about one thing though, and that is if I chose to do it I could easily be making more money, as Powerpuppies will never let me forget

but i refuse because i want to ~~~teach zoology at a small liberal arts school~~~

By day During the summer, Arch sells out to the big pharma corporations. By nightDuring the semester, he teaches young liberals to hate The Man.

• Options
    Hmm WordPress rolled out 5.0 with the Gutenberg UI.
    I don't like it

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I want to go back to school but the idea of choosing a program fills me with paralyzing dread lol

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »
    I want to go back to school but the idea of choosing a program fills me with paralyzing dread lol

no thats dumb come visit me in asheville instead u nerd

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    New coworker looks exactly like a flesh-and-blood version of Honey Lemon from Big Hero 6.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Die Hard
    Unless my book becomes a worldwide sensation, I'm hoping to get my masters at some point. Instant pay raise at my job and I can put my student loans on hold while I'm in school.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    I was living on about £6k a year during my PhD (semi-funded) and it was horrendous

I'm entirely convinced that if I ever lose sympathy for the less well-off then past Burnage is going travel through time and punch me in the face

I made £13.1k a year! I got an extra £600 over the standard because my subject was declared fashionable about six months in

I felt rich compared to my student days

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    New coworker looks exactly like a flesh-and-blood version of Honey Lemon from Big Hero 6.

If she’s into girls I think you know what the correct action is

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

I made £13.1k a year! I got an extra £600 over the standard because my subject was declared fashionable about six months in

i'm sorry i don't understand your monarchy dollars please convert this to french fries

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Die Hard

i'm sorry i don't understand your monarchy dollars please convert this to french fries

6 fries a day

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

Oooh, you got Asheville money now, Arch?

Well, well, Big Bug must be paying pret-ty well!

(I'd love to come visit, maybe in spring?)

• Options
    Atomika wrote: »

If she’s into girls I think you know what the correct action is

Explain that you are also into girls and thus build a long-term romantic relationship on the basis of shared interests?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    As an uneducated rube, I was making just over minimum wage for a long time in various jobs. Ended up working for my brother in law for a year managing home deliver for Sears.

And then I got this job.

Basically, I'm not sure my trajectory would have been any different if I HAD finished school. It sure doesn't sound like it!

• Options
    I've been thinking a lot about getting back into programming and I'm kinda interested in playing around with Android dev.

And it seems Android apps are made in Java? Doubleyou tee eff

• Options
    I was certain Java was dead.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    religion: bustin christ airs until we get to heaven
    education: missed biology got my education in stale fish-ology

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Die Hard
    Nova_C wrote: »
    As an uneducated rube, I was making just over minimum wage for a long time in various jobs. Ended up working for my brother in law for a year managing home deliver for Sears.

And then I got this job.

Basically, I'm not sure my trajectory would have been any different if I HAD finished school. It sure doesn't sound like it!

Out of highschool i had the skills to run an IT shop and administer a network. My career trajectory would have been better without school. Especially in that leaving that career path would still be an option. Pretty much the only thing I got from college was a wife and a D&D group, which is the only reason I don't call college a complete waste.

• Options

Oooh, you got Asheville money now, Arch?

Well, well, Big Bug must be paying pret-ty well!

(I'd love to come visit, maybe in spring?)

haha no im not being paid very much but i refuse to spend less on candles

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Die Hard
    Nova_C wrote: »

And then I got this job.

For anyone that entered the market in the mid late 2000s, this is how I visualize it:

A few years back Fidelity or some other financial abbatoire had a commercial advertising a service where an imaginary green line was gonna guide you to the right decisions for retirement. Sign up and big daddy dick finance gonna show you the way.

Except someone who is just entering the workforce is like "How about me?"

And the green line takes them into a gas station bathroom where it disappears down the toilet.

And as the confused millennial has their face shift from confusion to horror you hear the think of the stall door closing and being latched.

End scene.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Christmas Vacation (the Joke option)
    Kamiro wrote: »

6324 Kg of french fries. According to the Tesco web site.

wtf is a Kg

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    My rents are pushing me to get a PhD so I am taking my GRE in January

If there's any math in there I am going to try and persuade them on divinity school (Harvard has one!!)

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
This discussion has been closed.