As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Starting to feel the crunch of Ironman mode. Lost my damn Enforcer to a never ending stream of Manticores and Bulldogs. Luckily my pilot survived since shes my second best one. But losing that 50 ton beast is a big loss.

Yeah, Ironman is rough. I lost a Hunchback and my best pilot on a two skull assassination mission when it was shutdown from heat by a Firestarter and then, same as you talked about above, an absolute hailstorm of LRMs rocketed in from offscreen right through the back armor. Stupid LRM carriers.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    I kinda regret spending all this time to get Roguetech working.

First half-skull mission on a one skull rating planet, difficulty set to planet...

My lance consists of:
    • Enforcer
    • Phoenix Hawk
    • Firestarter
    • Panther

Their half-company consists of

Mechs:
    • Atlas
    • Griffin
    • Cicada
    • Javelin
    • Wasp

Tanks:
    • Fulcrum
    • Fulcrum (so that's two)
    • Ranger

Tonnage breakdown:

165 tons of mech vs 245 tons of mech and 140 tons of tank.

Roguetech is just fucking dumb.

A lot of people just keep gushing at the raw quantity of stuff RogueTech added. I see people legit upset at how much faster RogueTech has been at expanding the game VS Flashpoints and the recent 1.3 career mode.

But, as a person who hasn't played RogueTech, from the outside looking in, the difference in craftsmanship is staggering. It's like eating out of the dumpster behind the Denny's versus, perhaps not a fine dining experience, but a damned good hole in the wall that's gotten really good at what they do.

I mean, sure, one is free, and there is a lot of it. And it's all mixed up and you never know what surprises lie in store. But on the other hand, it's nice to know some thought went into things.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    chasm wrote: »
    Nobody wrote: »
    MWO

Anybody know of a good build for Sekhmet? I haven't seen anything for it yet, which is odd given that you'd figure more than a few people would have gotten one with the last promo.

Currently running SEKHMET. I figure once I get enough C-Bills (after I'm done outfitting my Victor) I can drop the Beagle to upgrade the engine to a 255 XL, but the shooting feels kinda anemic, even though I basically can't overheat in the thing.

My build code: AV9920R0|Hd|FPpF0|PG|PG|d?qF0|PG|PG|d?rD0|U@|d?sD0|U@|d?tL0uL0v50|EPw606060 Gist of it: 2HMGs/4SPLs, XL270 and 4 jump jets. It's basically Larsh's build for it and he's got some great highlight vids with it on his youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBUtslmK3-c

Interesting, I never had much respect for SPLs (I didn’t see any reason to use them over MLs). I keep forgetting that MWO is quite different from tabletop.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    chasm wrote: »
    MWO

Anybody know of a good build for Sekhmet? I haven't seen anything for it yet, which is odd given that you'd figure more than a few people would have gotten one with the last promo.

Currently running SEKHMET. I figure once I get enough C-Bills (after I'm done outfitting my Victor) I can drop the Beagle to upgrade the engine to a 255 XL, but the shooting feels kinda anemic, even though I basically can't overheat in the thing.

My build code: AV9920R0|Hd|FPpF0|PG|PG|d?qF0|PG|PG|d?rD0|U@|d?sD0|U@|d?tL0uL0v50|EPw606060 Gist of it: 2HMGs/4SPLs, XL270 and 4 jump jets. It's basically Larsh's build for it and he's got some great highlight vids with it on his youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBUtslmK3-c

Interesting, I never had much respect for SPLs (I didn’t see any reason to use them over MLs). I keep forgetting that MWO is quite different from tabletop.

Pulse Lasers are life in MWO. If you can use some speed to get into range they are always better than their standard counterparts.

Well except for the Clan ERML where you use them as LLs to snipe/poke.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    It really depends on if weight, heat or hardpoints is the limiting factor. Small lasers are far more heat/weight efficient, but hardpoint for hardpoint SPLs have high damage while being very heat efficient. So it's a good choice for fast-moving light mechs. Especially if you have HMGs and want to get close anyway.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »

First half-skull mission on a one skull rating planet, difficulty set to planet...

My lance consists of:
    • Enforcer
    • Phoenix Hawk
    • Firestarter
    • Panther

Mechs:
    • Atlas
    • Griffin
    • Cicada
    • Javelin
    • Wasp

Tanks:
    • Fulcrum
    • Ranger

Tonnage breakdown:

A lot of people just keep gushing at the raw quantity of stuff RogueTech added. I see people legit upset at how much faster RogueTech has been at expanding the game VS Flashpoints and the recent 1.3 career mode.

But, as a person who hasn't played RogueTech, from the outside looking in, the difference in craftsmanship is staggering. It's like eating out of the dumpster behind the Denny's versus, perhaps not a fine dining experience, but a damned good hole in the wall that's gotten really good at what they do.

I mean, sure, one is free, and there is a lot of it. And it's all mixed up and you never know what surprises lie in store. But on the other hand, it's nice to know some thought went into things.

It's an odd thing. Molten Metal was doing a long Roguetech playthrough. When the new DLC dropped he switched back to vanilla and by about episode 4, people were already asking him to go back to Roguetech in the comments because it was getting boring. My experience with the mod has kind of echoed that. It's brutal hard early on, super grindy, and prone for odd bugs, but when you find that sweet spot, it's fun as hell. And interestingly a lot of the big ideas roguetech introduced got put into the vanilla game with this DLC. If RT ever figures out how to keep lights valuable throughout career mode, they'll really be cooking with gas.

But then RT throws missions like the above at you and you're just annoyed and wanna give up.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    RougeTech can be a bitch and a half sometimes but I do prefer it over vanilla, warts and all.

Though I did see someone on the internet describe Flashpoint as "Just a framework for more RougeTech functionality" and that got a chuckle out of me.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    An interesting way to keep lights viable might be to cap drop tonnage at 400 tons, but let you bring up to 4 additional mechs as your own reinforcement after 5 turns or something at a nominal cbill cost.

The delay and cost being your leapord having to make extra trips. Or maybe have it be an upgrade path on the Argo that it can make planet fall again.

So it costs more to have more mechs ready, and more pilot salary, and a bit more each time you use it, but really opens up your tactics and lower tonnage viability.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Inceeasing the number of mechs you drop would help. Easier to dedicate a slot to a light scout when its not 25% of your force

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, I find Roguetech to be more engaging than vanilla. I don't dislike vanilla, but the replayability of it is lacking. Also speaking with the roguetech modders, a lot of the stuff they want to do is impossible because of how the engine was built and they aren't given access, this is why we can't get melee weapons modded in, or different mechs etc.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Inceeasing the number of mechs you drop would help. Easier to dedicate a slot to a light scout when its not 25% of your force

It would also really help if mission difficulty meant a variety of enemy mechs, not just dropping lances of mechs of a given weight class. Outside of very specific mission objectives, taking a light on a mission against assaults is pretty much suicide; even at max evasion, a single assault alpha can kill or cripple a light mech and every damn mech at that point has LRMs to knock off evasion pips.

But if enemy pirate lances were properly a mix of weights like they should be, you'd have a reason to take a light and medium for the speed to keep faster mechs off your back armor but also not be crippled for not the heaviest lance you can field.

I also used to think this would be a good compromise, but the main thing I keep coming back to is how much longer would missions be? I think it would take a silly amount of time, plus mech repair bills would be through the roof

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

I also used to think this would be a good compromise, but the main thing I keep coming back to is how much longer would missions be? I think it would take a silly amount of time, plus mech repair bills would be through the roof

Make it post game so people who stick around are more inclined to play long missions. Make it like in MW4 Mercs' later gameplay where your two lances of assault mechs are just part of a much larger military force you've been hired to bolster.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    PSA: Apparently the game no longer uses the shop data from the shops folder and instead now uses the itemCollections folder. I think a lot of things are also taken from there now instead of the simGameConstants file. I haven't tested it yet, but I was wondering why none of my changes seemed to be working.

Edit: More detail here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/developer-diaries-3-shop-revisions-and-flashpoint-rewards.1120926/

Sir Carcass on
    I haven't played many of the flashpoints, so I don't know if they actually work with these concepts. Near as I've heard, the only "light" oriented missions are the 8 round limit, cap 3 point, target acquisition missions.

But I'd love multipart missions where you have lights scouting the incoming force. And all you need to do is get LOS or sensor sweep say, a company of heavy/assault mechs and get to an evac zone. Or maybe the goal is to scout the command lance out of an entire company. The idea is they are so threatening, the idea of actually killing all of them rules out landing with a Steiner Scout Lance and just mercing them. Then the intel you gathered makes the following engagement easier, both by actually giving you actionable intel about the force disposition. But perhaps also highlighting on the map where they actually are, and allowing you to fortify your position and prepare and ambush. Maybe the actionable intel allows your client to send in allied reinforcements.

That said, the fundamental problem is that there is a light way to accomplish most missions, and an assault way to handle most missions. But the assault way is typically less risky. I wanted to say easier or more fun. But I'm not sure either of those are true.

I learned that when I took on a 3 star flashpoint with mostly light mechs, and had to use every trick in the book to meet the objectives. Almost every mission could be a light oriented mission. It's a question of tactics employed to meet the objectives. And it's fun doing them the light way! If nerve wracking as a single alpha strike could core them. It just becomes ever more important to employ total mastery of the initiative system to deny the enemy LOS as much as possible. And frankly, it's a ton of fun. And in a way, it's easier than just bringing more weight since you actually totally eliminate the enemies ability to even shoot you! You aren't just counting on your armor to soak faster than you can focus fire them down.

I think career mode starting me off with 4 lights and 1 medium did more to encourage this style of play than any heavy handed tonnage limit imposed by a contract, or incredibly strained combination of objectives. And the desperate need to punch up in order to tech up just enhanced it.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Make it post game so people who stick around are more inclined to play long missions. Make it like in MW4 Mercs' later gameplay where your two lances of assault mechs are just part of a much larger military force you've been hired to bolster.

I'm personally okay with just dropping with a lance for the sake of keeping the missions to a decent duration, but I really think there needs to be something like a "projected tonnage" figure added to the mission description and then the enemy forces are constructed randomly from that weight allowance. Dropping against two hundred tons might mean a couple heavy vehicles and a medium mech or a double lance of lights, but in both cases you wouldn't be screwed by the game's current tendency to just fill out lances with the heaviest mechs.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I haven't played many of the flashpoints, so I don't know if they actually work with these concepts. Near as I've heard, the only "light" oriented missions are the 8 round limit, cap 3 point, target acquisition missions.

But I'd love multipart missions where you have lights scouting the incoming force. And all you need to do is get LOS or sensor sweep say, a company of heavy/assault mechs and get to an evac zone. Or maybe the goal is to scout the command lance out of an entire company. The idea is they are so threatening, the idea of actually killing all of them rules out landing with a Steiner Scout Lance and just mercing them. Then the intel you gathered makes the following engagement easier, both by actually giving you actionable intel about the force disposition. But perhaps also highlighting on the map where they actually are, and allowing you to fortify your position and prepare and ambush. Maybe the actionable intel allows your client to send in allied reinforcements.

That said, the fundamental problem is that there is a light way to accomplish most missions, and an assault way to handle most missions. But the assault way is typically less risky. I wanted to say easier or more fun. But I'm not sure either of those are true.

I learned that when I took on a 3 star flashpoint with mostly light mechs, and had to use every trick in the book to meet the objectives. Almost every mission could be a light oriented mission. It's a question of tactics employed to meet the objectives. And it's fun doing them the light way! If nerve wracking as a single alpha strike could core them. It just becomes ever more important to employ total mastery of the initiative system to deny the enemy LOS as much as possible. And frankly, it's a ton of fun. And in a way, it's easier than just bringing more weight since you actually totally eliminate the enemies ability to even shoot you! You aren't just counting on your armor to soak faster than you can focus fire them down.

I think career mode starting me off with 4 lights and 1 medium did more to encourage this style of play than any heavy handed tonnage limit imposed by a contract, or incredibly strained combination of objectives. And the desperate need to punch up in order to tech up just enhanced it.

Some Flashpoints have lance tonnage limits, individual mech tonnage limits, and/or number of mech limits.

Target Acquisition missions require speed by tactics, not because there's a tonnage limit.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular

My lance consists of:
    • Enforcer
    • Phoenix Hawk
    • Firestarter
    • Panther

Mechs:
    • Atlas
    • Griffin
    • Cicada
    • Javelin
    • Wasp

Tanks:
    • Fulcrum
    • Ranger

Tonnage breakdown:

"Craftsmanship" isn't what I'd call it. Any schmuck can collate a bunch of random mods, spend exactly zero time bothering with balance, then hide behind the lame and tired excuse of "oh it's a ROGUELIKE it's meant to be hard and random". It's awful design.

I've played roguelikes.

Angband doesn't spawn Gabriel at 50'.

I was also doing some research, turns out people are running into multiple 100-ton assaults on half-skull mission 1s, so my number is actually on the lower to mid-range of possibilities. So a 5-skull mission could conceivably consist of 50-60 Atlases of Cbills.

Roguetech is fucking. dumb.

I've run into assault mechs on a 1 skull mission, but the balance of roguetech isn't just based on lance weight, plus those mechs usually have jank gear on them and minimal armor. Also Lady Alekto, the main creator of roguetech didn't just combine mods, she has written the code for over half of them herself and then others on her team have added their own stuff.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    I get the sense you're either going to love RT or hate it, and both opinions are the correct one.

• HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Speaking of bugs. Has anyone else noticed when you lose a side torso damage just kind of... stops registering for the rest of the round? Ive seen a couple times where my mechs have lost a side torso then continue to get pelted, flashing up white and orange numbers, but there is no exposed structure to be flashing up those numbers and it doesnt appear any sections are actually taking any damage.

kx3klFE.png
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    So, all I'm doing now is flying around and doing flashpoints because they're very fun.
    It's funny that just a little bit of narrative makes it so much better.

All that travel is killing my time though and I'm at about 500 days remaining. I don't actually care anymore I think because the Flashpoint stories are what's making the game fun.

I did have a couple instances of a really disappointing bug though. The final 2 mechs in a reinforcement wave after a dropship pickup (before you evac) just stopped moving and shooting.
    This happened twice in two different missions.
    It's fine to win but this just removed all challenge and was kind of anti-climatic.

Dark_Side wrote: »
    I get the sense you're either going to love RT or hate it, and both opinions are the correct one.

I love a lot of the ideas in Roguetech, I just really wish the tech was restricted to the actual setting and left out the crazy tech.

The idea of kludged-together pirate junk is great, but not so much a fan of the super-mega-ultra mechs that are basically fanwankery.

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    Had a fight where I dumped SRM after SRM into a King Crab's head in order to secure it. Brought it down, took out the last mech (a Highlander, which would have been a nice consolation if the Crab didn't work out) and... game bugged out on me, not registering the last kill. Quit and made a save (Ironman...), tried to load back in and, uh:
    wgekv9mh3nrd.jpg

Unsurprisingly game isn't playing nice, I'm stuck before the salvage menu loads in. Might be screwed! A shame, would have put me at max rep...

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
    edited December 2018
    Hatchetmans

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Finally getting in to the campaign for this. Just got the "ship upgrade", but I'm having some issues...
    Basically I just got the Argos. Trying to do a 1.5 skull mission, and the difficulty jumped quite a bit, but my lance doesn't seem to have gotten much better? Still three mediums and a light. Should I have any heavy mechs at this point?

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Finally getting in to the campaign for this. Just got the "ship upgrade", but I'm having some issues...
    Basically I just got the Argos. Trying to do a 1.5 skull mission, and the difficulty jumped quite a bit, but my lance doesn't seem to have gotten much better? Still three mediums and a light. Should I have any heavy mechs at this point?

That seems like a normal set of mechs at that point though I think I had all mediums.
    Try to find some 1 skull or easier maps like base destroy or recovery.

Honestly, you're probably just going to have to "git gud". This game allows for such marvelous fuckery, the AI really doesn't stand a chance. And you really need to get used to punching up to tech up, because everything you want you're going to have to learn to kill, repeatedly, to get it.

You don't get your first heavy mech, without learning to take out a heavy with nothing but mediums. Same goes for assaults.

Step one is that the initiative system is your friend. If you have evasion pips and no good shots, reserve until after the enemy goes. Let them come to you. Then fuck them up in the later initiatives of this round, and the early initiatives of the next. It's extra effective when you use a targeting shot to push them back in the initiative order. The AI will never do this back to you. This is your exclusive tool to fuck them up. And how.

Step two, use the terrain. Force the enemy to come to your chosen battleground. The AI is dumb. It will come. It has no patience. It can locally min-max. But it can't set up an ambush. You can. Hills are you friend. Forest are your friend. Making the AI cross rough terrain to get to you is your friend.

Step three, try to isolate the enemy. When you see 3 or 4 pop up on your radar, start rotating your position so that they can't all rush you at once. In naval terms they call this crossing the T. It's a very bad thing to have your T crossed.

Step four, once you've crossed their T, focus fire to take them out as they come. Personally I'm a fan of big punching weapons rather than armor shredders. I want a PPC or an Autocannon that'll punch through the armor on your average light or medium. PPC's have the added bonus of disrupting the enemies aim afterwards, which gives your lights even more survivability when they are on the receiving end. And it stacks! You blast a heavy mech with 4 PPC bolts, it has a +4 difficulty modifier! Throw on 3 to 5 evasion pips for your average light or jump jetting medium, and it'll take a miracle for them to hit you.

If you can't take out the lead mech of the crossed T in one round, be willing to fall back or keep rotating to drag the enemy's line out. Don't let them gang up on you.

The game taketh away and the game giveth. Been slogging out 2 skull missions and I'm finally starting to assemble a bay of mediums.

After the Enforcer bit it I was able to salvage up a Shadowhawk, Wolverine and bought 2 more parts for a second Wolverine. Then snatched the last pieces of a Crab and Hunchback P!

So those plus my last remaining Blackjack (of 3), Kintaro and Centurion I'm starting to sit pretty.

We need more missions like the one I lost my Enforcer on. Didn't really think about it before dropping, but I had 8 turns to get to 3 different zones to pop artillery markers. Which meant I needed speed. I didn't bring speed. I was able to split up my force and get the markers in exactly 8 turns. Then the base blows! Then I have 4 turns to get to the evac zone before reinforcements arrive. I did everything. Lost the Enforcer to the never ending stream of tanks and failed the mission because I couldn't get my Centurion or Blackjack out to the evac zone in time. The Kintaro was the only speedy mech I brought. We need more of a heads up than just "you need to be quick about it". Lesson learned, but it was still fun.
    Stuff like that is what should be restricting your tonnage. More scout and scoot type stuff.

kx3klFE.png
    edited December 2018
    ITS THURSDAY NIGHT, ASSHOLES

ITS TIME FOR STOMPY BOTS at 6:30 PST

ALSO A GOD DAMN PSA

120px-inyq6sf1l32jzl1nvnyzdyc4ahi6pew.png?timestamp=20180121081355

This is a Fafnir. And folks? It has stealth. The enemy? They can't even see it. Its invisible.

Those aren't jet engines, they're guns. It doesn't even need arms. Ya'll running around with your moon shoes and bag pipes, while this thing has more Gauss than a 19th century German mathematician.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I have a stable of mechs to play through tonight, so I don’t need to subject you to the birdshot Mauler.

Unless you want me to

I have a stable of mechs to play through tonight, so I don’t need to subject you to the birdshot Mauler.

Unless you want me to

Friend, im going to be playing a mech that moves 32 kph and cant alpha strike

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

Honestly, you're probably just going to have to "git gud". This game allows for such marvelous fuckery, the AI really doesn't stand a chance. And you really need to get used to punching up to tech up, because everything you want you're going to have to learn to kill, repeatedly, to get it.

You don't get your first heavy mech, without learning to take out a heavy with nothing but mediums. Same goes for assaults.

Step one is that the initiative system is your friend. If you have evasion pips and no good shots, reserve until after the enemy goes. Let them come to you. Then fuck them up in the later initiatives of this round, and the early initiatives of the next. It's extra effective when you use a targeting shot to push them back in the initiative order. The AI will never do this back to you. This is your exclusive tool to fuck them up. And how.

Step two, use the terrain. Force the enemy to come to your chosen battleground. The AI is dumb. It will come. It has no patience. It can locally min-max. But it can't set up an ambush. You can. Hills are you friend. Forest are your friend. Making the AI cross rough terrain to get to you is your friend.

Step three, try to isolate the enemy. When you see 3 or 4 pop up on your radar, start rotating your position so that they can't all rush you at once. In naval terms they call this crossing the T. It's a very bad thing to have your T crossed.

Step four, once you've crossed their T, focus fire to take them out as they come. Personally I'm a fan of big punching weapons rather than armor shredders. I want a PPC or an Autocannon that'll punch through the armor on your average light or medium. PPC's have the added bonus of disrupting the enemies aim afterwards, which gives your lights even more survivability when they are on the receiving end. And it stacks! You blast a heavy mech with 4 PPC bolts, it has a +4 difficulty modifier! Throw on 3 to 5 evasion pips for your average light or jump jetting medium, and it'll take a miracle for them to hit you.

If you can't take out the lead mech of the crossed T in one round, be willing to fall back or keep rotating to drag the enemy's line out. Don't let them gang up on you.

I already do all of this for the most part. I learned a while ago how dumb and impatient the AI is and how to funnel them in to killing fields. This particular mission happens to be a base defense where it's trying to overwhelm me until reinforcements show up, so funneling the enemy in to killing zones is proving tough.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

Unless you want me to

Space shotguns are a priority over all else.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Unless you want me to

I present to you my alternative Mauler: Boomer

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |

I already do all of this for the most part. I learned a while ago how dumb and impatient the AI is and how to funnel them in to killing fields. This particular mission happens to be a base defense where it's trying to overwhelm me until reinforcements show up, so funneling the enemy in to killing zones is proving tough.

Those missions are BS even with more tonnage than you need. Just don't overextended and don't worry about losing a building or two.

kx3klFE.png
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    I've run into assault mechs on a 1 skull mission, but the balance of roguetech isn't just based on lance weight, plus those mechs usually have jank gear on them and minimal armor. Also Lady Alekto, the main creator of roguetech didn't just combine mods, she has written the code for over half of them herself and then others on her team have added their own stuff.

You are entirely correct, it's not based on tonnage, it's based on Cbill value. Which, if each half skull is ~40 mil Cbills means the balancing is always going to be you vs at least a company of mediums, likely with one lance or more of assaults. Aaand with the game willing to spawn multiple hundo-tonners on half-skull missions based on multiple other accounts, that's on the lower end.

Also, based on what few shots I was able to land before my mechs were dissolved under the combined fire of a half-company, no, those mechs were not under-armored, and they weren't under-gunned based on the fire they were giving out.

The tanks definitely weren't under-gunned or under-armored; they had the same loadout as Sarna and the Unit Master List indicated. Though, the Fulcrums weren't the base variant, they were Fulcrum IIs, since they were minus one large laser and plus one medium laser and SRM bank.

The balancing is designed for savescummers and utter masochists with perfect mastery of the system changes. Which aren't documented.

I really, REALLY wanted to like Roguetech, but this is just dumb.

• Redspo0nRedspo0n Registered User regular
    ITS THURSDAY NIGHT, ASSHOLES

ITS TIME FOR STOMPY BOTS at 6:30 PST

ALSO A GOD DAMN PSA

120px-inyq6sf1l32jzl1nvnyzdyc4ahi6pew.png?timestamp=20180121081355

This is a Fafnir. And folks? It has stealth. The enemy? They can't even see it. Its invisible.

Those aren't jet engines, they're guns. It doesn't even need arms. Ya'll running around with your moon shoes and bag pipes, while this thing has more Gauss than a 19th century German mathematician.

Vapor eagle again for me tonight - I'm thinking I'm gonna hang out in my VGL3 (SRM18, 4xERML) mostly.

"Hey, want a Skull Servent? He's Evil."
    XFIRE:redspo0n (Yep, Zero in there) XBL: Pinkspo0n