As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magic The Gathering: Arena] The CCG that started it all, now F2P. New set incoming

• Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Weird that my vault progress is so much lower than yours but I have a lot more mythics/rares than you. Did you draft? We have close to the same number of cards total, but I have 2x the mythics you do.

Probably because of the constructed event farming. I started that right around this time last month. I only do about 2 a day on average. My record last week was 7,7,4,4,5,7,7,5,7,4,7,7,6,1,7. I know there are people out there playing burn decks and going 6 or 7 every run, but golgari built to deal with aggro can do pretty well. I usually buy at least 2 packs a day with the gold too.

The crazy thing is even getting a boat load of free cards and packs I still feel like I'm not progressing towards another deck.

furbat on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    i finally decided to bite the bullet and build out my full deck and start playing real matches of magic on arena and immediately lose in 3 to a weird elves brew deck that was played incredibly poorly but game 2 i never got past 3 lands and game 3, 6 of my last 7 turns were lands in a topdeck war vs an active karn (that i believe was played very poorly but was still an active karn vs a hand of basics).

so uh... we're back?

• Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    furbat wrote: »
    Weird that my vault progress is so much lower than yours but I have a lot more mythics/rares than you. Did you draft? We have close to the same number of cards total, but I have 2x the mythics you do.

Probably because of the constructed event farming. I started that right around this time last month. I only do about 2 a day on average. My record last week was 7,7,4,4,5,7,7,5,7,4,7,7,6,1,7. I know there are people out there playing burn decks and going 6 or 7 every run, but golgari built to deal with aggro can do pretty well. I usually buy at least 2 packs a day with the gold too.

The crazy thing is even getting a boat load of free cards and packs I still feel like I'm not progressing towards another deck.

Yes, I have drafted with all of my gold (and the gems won from drafting), never purchased packs. I also only started competitive eventing about 2 weeks ago. If most of our mythics are coming from that, it makes sense you've won twice as many. That is an incredible record... wow. I can't hit 7 that often. Looks like 2,7,2,7,2,6,6,3,3,7,6,1,3,3,4,5,6,6,7 since the last time tracker decided to die and lose data. Drakes just isn't as consistent in Bo1 I think. I think my win rate is something like 67%, and I still make an easy profit (plus the cards). I am really looking forward to getting another deck together for the variety if nothing else.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    My record last week was 7,7,4,4,5,7,7,5,7,4,7,7,6,1,7.
    Disgusting and awesome, Furbat.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

You can't post that record and not post a decklist!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

For those unfamiliar with Rosewatta Stone, it runs cards through a series of google translates and back to English, and this one absolutely killed me.

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

It's a Golgari Midrange variant with Llanowar Elves, Vivien and both Vraska, Golgari Queen and Vraska, Relic Seeker.

Relic Seeker has some of my favourite voice acting in the game, incidentally.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    Kay wrote: »

It's a Golgari Midrange variant with Llanowar Elves, Vivien and both Vraska, Golgari Queen and Vraska, Relic Seeker.

I'm working towards something like this. Slowly. The F2P grind is real when you want to run a bunch of Planeswalkers. Super fun deck though.

• Options

I'm working towards something like this. Slowly. The F2P grind is real when you want to run a bunch of Planeswalkers. Super fun deck though.
    Most lists are leaning more on Vivien, Midnight Reaper and Carnage Tyrant, now. Vivien ultimate is ridiculous, and fairly reliably reached with all the ground defence and removal the deck runs.

I'm still missing a couple of the dual lands to run this, but almost there and using Forbidden Orchards as a stopgap. Thing is, I also want to run a playset of Midnight Reapers in here. Weird that the cards I'm missing are rares, not mythics.

Still, putting up similar records with my Rakdos Burn list - main problem with that deck is that there are some strong counters to it in Boros Angels (Shalai plus Lyra) and the variants of Jeskai control that run the Drakes and Clarion. Sometimes that lifegain is just too much to fight through. Golgari Mid on the other hand has no bad matchups, the worst are 50/50 in game one. Changes a bit after sideboarding, though.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    I really waver on maindecking Midnight Reaper in MTGA ladder because there's so much aggro it feels like a serious liability.

• Options
    Yeah, it's not great vs aggro as it blocks very badly and dies to shock, but it is GREAT against control, which GB Mid should theoretically have more trouble with. Midrange beats Aggro beats Control beats Midrange, traditionally.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular

I am not @furbat , but this was his list last time he posted it.

https://mtgarena.pro/decks/pac-bo1-gb-1/

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    cncaudata wrote: »

No copies of Assassin's Trophy. Interesting.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

My Golgari deck is hella loaded at the six drop. What does Relic Seeker get you? Usually I'm looking to win on turn 7.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I cast divination with this post.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

My Golgari deck is hella loaded at the six drop. What does Relic Seeker get you? Usually I'm looking to win on turn 7.

Unconditional removal with colour fixing ramp attached, evasive creatures, and a near instant win button.

Most lists are running extra Viviens, Carnage Tyrants and lower CMC removal spells now, though. Relic Seeker is mostly seen in sideboards, if at all.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Unconditional removal with colour fixing ramp attached, evasive creatures, and a near instant win button.

Most lists are running extra Viviens, Carnage Tyrants and lower CMC removal spells now, though. Relic Seeker is mostly seen in sideboards, if at all.

It's worth bearing in mind that a lot of the lists you'll find are people optimizing for paper tournaments and reacting to week-to-week meta shifts, which may or may not be reflective of the MTGA BO3 ladder/event and are definitely not reflective of any of the BO1 modes.

For example, two weeks ago it was considered absolutely incorrect to maindeck Carnage Tyrant for any reason. Now it's considered optimal. In two weeks it may be considered bad again. It's good to try and optimize your lists based on what people are generally considering good and what you're running into, but I wouldn't exhaust your supply of wildcards trying to constantly keep on top of the "best" decklist you can find on the tuberbutts.

Anyway Vraska, Relic Seeker is fucking awesome, she eats most permanents and poops out 2/2s, and I will run 2-3 copies of her always even when that's categorically bad. Vivien Reed is probably here to stay forever because her +1 is amazing and her -8 is completely broken and her -3 can sometimes be helpful.

• Options
    Also I should note that even if you're not maindecking Carnage Tyrant you do want 3-4 copies in your sideboard because it's pretty crucial against control decks.

• Options
    Carny-T is straight up ludicrous and should be in any green midrange deck. There's a reason the paper version costs $$.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Carnage Tyrant is not a card you want to see against aggro but its great in the mirror and against control. I think maindecking 1 in any situation is fine but its 0-2 depending on how much white weenie and arclight and RDW you are expecting to see.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    HEH.

Had a game where i had to mulligan twice to get a halfway decent hand...

But it included "Disinformation Campaign" so i managed to get my had up and keep my opponent's down...

I had forgotten the slam dunk of a combo Disinformation Campaign and Dispersal are.

• Options
    milski wrote: »
    Carnage Tyrant is not a card you want to see against aggro but its great in the mirror and against control. I think maindecking 1 in any situation is fine but its 0-2 depending on how much white weenie and arclight and RDW you are expecting to see.

At least in mtga bo1 I'm struggling with control way more often than rdw, so carnie is a must at 2, and I'm thinking about bumping him to 3.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I'm running into a deck that has a bunch of angels in the comp constructed recently. Lyra, Aurelia, that one that gives everything hexproof, etc. But like, that's it. No other creatures as far as I've been able to tell so far. Dawn of Hope in there.

It doesn't work very well against my Jeskai Teferi thing.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Even with all the RDW and white weeny in Bo1, if you give up all your late game threats, you will lose against the mirror, dimir, midrange, and odd control lists out there that still make up a good portion of your matches. I'm actually running 3 carnage tyrants now. It is a terrible draw against those decks, but you are pretty favored against both already and it's going to win you more games than it costs you. Thing about Bo1 is you are just playing against the meta in the aggregate.

I actually took Vraska 6 out. My high end is now 3x carnage tyrant, 3x vivien, 2x vraska 4. I've been maintaining a 75% win rate in Bo1 constructed events with this list recently. Just went 7-0 this morning too which is really rare to do. The win rate is much much lower on ladder though. The 5 plainswalkers and 3x midnight reaper generate a stupid amount of card advantage. Vraska 4 is really good. I'm back to loving her again. She has been in, out, in, out, and now back in of my deck. She is great against everything but izzet. She is even good against control because she can be dropped so early.

White/Boros weeny: This is your best match up. They have very little removal. You can still lose, but it takes a string of bad luck/draws and going second. You are looking to drop to survive until 6 mana and find/finality. Vraska (4) removes anything they drop on the board. Wildgrowth walker takes 1 trigger to survive adanto. If you drop midnight reaper you can drop chumps all day long and draw deep into your deck for finality/walkers. Vivien can remove tribunals. Chupacabra 2 for 1s their champs. Against boros varieties you have to watch out for midrange angels. Vivien again saves the day here.

Dimir: You just need to stay ahead of them on card advantage. They need to clear your board with ritual of soot, it costs 4 mana. Midnight reaper is pretty gold here. Once they do you can drop vivien/vraska. Both can remove disinformation campaign and search for azcanta. They have 2 ways to deal with carnage tyrant, eldest reborn/doom whisperer. Drop vivien after ritual and keep a chump on board with your carney T and you pretty much win.

RDW: Wildgrowth walker.

Mono-U: Not much you can do here. Their deck either works or it doesn't. Not a good match up for you, but pretty uncommon.

Izzet: You are on a clock here. This is the worst match up because you don't apply a lot of pressure and you can't grind them out.

Mirror: First player to get a planeswalker -> carnage tyrant to stick wins. Don't worry about your health, they can't apply pressure either. Carnage Tyrant -> Finality wins the game. Midnight reaper is one of your best cards in this match up. Laugh every time they ramp you with assassin's trophy and lose the game.

4 Llanowar Elves (M19) 314
    8 Forest (RIX) 196
    4 Jadelight Ranger (RIX) 136
    4 Wildgrowth Walker (XLN) 216
    4 Seekers' Squire (XLN) 121
    5 Swamp (RIX) 194
    3 Find // Finality (GRN) 225
    3 Ravenous Chupacabra (RIX) 82
    3 Midnight Reaper (GRN) 77
    3 Vivien Reid (M19) 208
    2 Memorial to Folly (DAR) 242
    4 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
    4 Woodland Cemetery (DAR) 248
    2 Vraska's Contempt (XLN) 129
    2 Merfolk Branchwalker (XLN) 197
    2 Vraska, Golgari Queen (GRN) 213
    3 Carnage Tyrant (XLN) 179

furbat on
  • Options

I think it is a bad card in Bo1.

• Options
    edited December 2018

I think it is a bad card in Bo1.

That may be true. I'll admit I don't really think about BO1 at all because MtG without sideboarding frustrates me because of how much bigger an impact RNG/draw quality has.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    Also how much monoU do you get matched with? When I do BO1 with Golgari I face 2-3 monoU Obsession decks without fail and you basically need to just draw removal and low cost dudes for that, having more end-game means you just get run over.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Also how much monoU do you get matched with? When I do BO1 with Golgari I face 2-3 monoU Obsession decks without fail and you basically need to just draw removal and low cost dudes for that, having more end-game means you just get run over.

Not a lot. Mono-U is a bad match up but it isn't unwinnable. Their deck has a reasonable chance to just fizzle and I think they lose against a lot of popular decks.

Honestly, Bo1 is the best. You can't run bullshit AND deal with aggro, midrange, and control at the same time without a sideboard. And since it costs you gold to troll people with bullshit in constructed events, people don't bring those decks often.

I can go days without seeing Teferi in Bo1.

furbat on
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    it's a great feeling when they cast dispersal and it hits your nullhide ferox.

"ah, yes, okay, i return him to my hand, and then... i return him to the battlefield.
    you removed him from combat. mission accomplished."

• Options

Not a lot. Mono-U is a bad match up but it isn't unwinnable. Their deck has a reasonable chance to just fizzle and I think they lose against a lot of popular decks.

Honestly, Bo1 is the best. You can't run bullshit AND deal with aggro, midrange, and control at the same time without a sideboard. And since it costs you gold to troll people with bullshit in constructed events, people don't bring those decks often.

I can go days without seeing Teferi in Bo1.

That's just luck on your part, because I have never not faced at least one Teferi Jeskai (often two or three) deck in a BO1 constructed run. My BO1 runs generally tend to be mostly Jeskai, Izzet (so much Izzet, holy good god), and Mono-U, with the occasional Mono-R or mirror. I think I've matched against white weenie or Sesnya tokens 3 times ever across the 6 or 7 Golgari runs I've done? Something like that.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I've still never gotten to actually use Teferi's ultimate and it makes me sad.

the Jeskai deck with him is a lot of fun though. Teferi! Oh you dealt with that. Niv mizzet! Oh you dealt with that. Another niv mizzet! Another teferi! THREATS FOR DAYS

I put Sarkhan, Fireblood in the sideboard and he seems handy but I haven't gotten to do much with him yet.

I wish that mill deck was more viable, it's fun but gets run over too fast if you don't draw exactly right.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Since i don't play the constructed events and don't care if i win or lose, I'll usually scoop against Jeskai because the match is usually super boring and it's not worth my time.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    There is a good mix of everything, but Jeskai is certainly less common Dimir. I think because of the matchmaking algorithm you are a lot more likely to face Dimir on game 1 than on game 7. Mostly I see RDW, mono-white, izzet, and golgari. But there is a little bit of everything played.

furbat on
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    There is a good mix of everything, but Jeskai is certainly less common Dimir. I think because of the matchmaking algorithm you are a lot more likely to face Dimir on game 1 than on game 7. Mostly I see RDW, mono-white, izzet, and golgari. But there is a little bit of everything played.

As dimir, I rarely see dimir. And it’s basically never a copy of my deck.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

I think I mentally lump them together with grixis, because playing against them is basically the same.

furbat on
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular

I think I mentally lump them together with grixis, because playing against them is basically the same.

Grixis is different!

Because I don’t play my shit in Grixis!

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options

I see so much Izzet, Jeskai, and Mono-U. It's exhausting. Counterspells for days and days.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Today was the first day in a week where I think I've seen more decks about actually attacking than control/tempo decks. For some reason I ran into a lot of golgari stompy today.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

I see so much Izzet, Jeskai, and Mono-U. It's exhausting. Counterspells for days and days.

In constructed events? I think I see jank merfolk more often than I see Jeskai there. I probably have played a good 500 games in there too. I hit the 15 win cap every day.

furbat on
  • Options
    edited December 2018

In constructed events? I think I see jank merfolk more often than I see Jeskai there.

that sounds really nice

but yeah I think I just get unlucky in the BO1 Constructed Event, I face loads of Izzet and Jeskai in there. I think I've yet to have a run without any Jeskai Control.

3cl1ps3 on