As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We're all just doing our best for our [Kids]

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    there is no such thing as too many stuffed animals.

Ellie has been playing school with us lately,

We have to sit on the couch, she'll sit on a chair and then read us books. She calls us "daddy boy" and "mommy boy" and she is "teacher Elnor"

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    psh, no such thing as too many. That's a fraction of what my kids have accumulated over the years. There's even two Curious George dolls that go to bed with my youngest every night.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    Quick update on the m!ttens family: Beatrice is home from the hospital after a 1 week stay in the NICU. All the doctors and nurses were amazing and I cannot thank them enough for all the care they provided. She is doing great at home, we're just fortifying her breast milk with Human Milk Fortifier (and vitamin D once a day). Mrs m!ttens is trying not to feel down that her supply is just a little behind the curve so we occasionally have to give a bit of extra mixed formula in the bottles when Bea is extra hungry. We had our first pediatrician appointment and he found nothing wrong with her apart from being small for gestational age.

Yess woohoo! We also supplemented with formula, getting started breast feeding is hard and I'm sure she's doing great

I went for a couple lactation consults as well in the first few weeks and found them helpful

• GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    That picture is the number of stuffed animals my son wants to take to bed and just a fraction of his collection.

He has started lending us some of them, so that we can also take stuffed animals to bed. I think it's just a ploy to get more of his crew a cozy bed spot.

Grobian on
  • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    Quick update on the m!ttens family: Beatrice is home from the hospital after a 1 week stay in the NICU. All the doctors and nurses were amazing and I cannot thank them enough for all the care they provided. She is doing great at home, we're just fortifying her breast milk with Human Milk Fortifier (and vitamin D once a day). Mrs m!ttens is trying not to feel down that her supply is just a little behind the curve so we occasionally have to give a bit of extra mixed formula in the bottles when Bea is extra hungry. We had our first pediatrician appointment and he found nothing wrong with her apart from being small for gestational age.

Hey, don't let supply issues get Mrs. m!ttens down. It's too bad that no amount of reassurance is likely to help but it will all be just fine!

I could do a more lengthy rant but I'll try to keep it brief and say holy shit the tyranny of breastfeeding advocates. Yes, breast milk is best! We all get it! But when mom is already struggling with postpartum exhaustion and pain and exhaustion and stress and exhaustion, to be on the receiving end of the tilted head, raised eyebrow lecture for the fucking tenth time when they hear you're supplementing with formula is more than a little bit upsetting.

You Do the Best You Can!™ and little will be just fine.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Ah yeah, fuck the lechinistas.

So my son's "girlfriend" calls him honey now. So cute (they're 4). I don't think her Mom was expecting dating to start so early though, she was clearly having an internal crisis on it.

• MusicDragonMusicDragon Registered User regular
    Fed is best

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    On a whim, we got Ellie a copy of the first Where's Wally/Waldo book for one of her hanukah presents.

She's doing surprisingly well at finding Wally and Wenda.

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Jeez, Oliver was almost consistently awake from 1 to 5 and we had no idea. I guess we'll find out if he's a nightmare at daycare, but this scenario never really occurred to me.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    This bloody baby.

Had our first official scan last Friday (we'd had a scan at six weeks due to IVF).

Long post ahead:
    Our age date from the IVF was 14 weeks.

The scan measured us at 14 weeks 5 days.

However the scan revealed quite a thick nuchal translucency measurement. There was some confusion as we're past the date that the measurement is an accurate indication of any problems.

They decided to give us the talk to inform us of the issues a thick measurement could indicate. It was pretty horrible, we'd come to the scan expecting everything to be ok but there we were, being sat in a side room with a box of tissues with a midwife explaining all the problems that the baby might have.

She really laid it on thick about how bad things were. They signed us off for a week and we were devastated. We took ourselves off for a week until we could do the further tests.

The consultant we saw yesterday was amazing, he really put us at ease and was way more optimistic than the midwife.

We ended up having a chorionic villus sampling procedure to test for the three major chromosomal conditions that a thick measurement could relate to.

We've just been called with the results that everything was normal. We're now awaiting the results of a microarray test in two weeks.

We're also having detailed scans in a few weeks done by the consultant to check for any physical issues.

Before we had the procedure yesterday he did a thorough physical scan (though explaining he can't see everything at 15 weeks). He was very happy with everything he saw.

So it's been a tumultuous week. We're exhausted but feeling optimistic.

There are several benign things that can cause a thick nuchal translucency measurement so it's highly possible it's nothing of note.

The first scan was so bittersweet. We got photos of the baby but we couldn't look at them as we were so worried we'd get bad news.

Sorry for the long post, it helps to write things down!

SharpyVII on
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Yay, I’m glad everything turned out well!

This morning Niko woke us all up with screaming at 4 am because he was thirsty and Daddy fetched him the glass of water and not Mommy. :rotate:

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Looking for recommendations of specific video monitor equipment for crib and/or kid room watching. What you have, what you like and dislike. Thanks thread!

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Looking for recommendations of specific video monitor equipment for crib and/or kid room watching. What you have, what you like and dislike. Thanks thread!

We have basically this, although not 100% sure it's the same version.

Pros:
    • It's pretty good at picking up any sounds, and you can adjust the volume depending on how much you want to hear
    • I like having a video because I was paranoid when she was younger and it was nice to be able to check on her or just see if she's awake (but quiet). The video is pretty good even when the room is dark.

Cons:
    • I'd have liked a longer battery. It just barely makes it one day if you aren't using the screen much. Overnight we just have it plugged in, but if I forget to plug it in or something and you were using it during the daytime as well for naps, it'll probably wake you up in the middle of the night when it gets low on batteries :P
    • It's expensive. Ours was a gift, but you can get a monitor for significantly cheaper if you want

So yeah, it works well and I'm happy with it.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular

Avoid WiFi and if you don’t make sure it’s locked down. There are entire creepy sites out there of people accessing unsecured monitors to get a voyeuristic thrill.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    My WiFi network is a fortress of security. :+1:

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    My WiFi network is a fortress of security. :+1:

Yeah which is why you don't want a WiFi camera on it poking holes for you.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I'd go with a complete system. I had nothing but troubles with ones that you theoretically could view with your phone.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • AgusalimAgusalim Registered User regular

to be honest we didnt find that any kind of monitoring system was necessary. obviously this is going to depend on the specifics of your living situation and what your kids are like but a lot (possibly even most) little ones will grumble intermittently in the night even if theres nothing wrong. if something wakes our weans up and they need one of us they generally havent been shy about letting us know - again this depends on your house but if everywhere in your house/flat is in earshot of a decently enthusiastic wail from the childrens room then in my experience theres no significant advantage to having a monitor

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    It's real nice to be able to hear a noise and look at a monitor to see whether your little one just made a noise or is full on awake and wandering around in the crib.

• ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Hey Isaac is gonna be 5 next month, so for christmas I wanted to get him a telescope for like, moon and planet gazing, but the amazon reviews are all over the map and full of people who are very bad at commenting on the internet.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for something under 70 bucks? This is kind of new ground for us, as we don't normally do any astronomy stuff and it's all very confusing.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Agusalim wrote: »

to be honest we didnt find that any kind of monitoring system was necessary. obviously this is going to depend on the specifics of your living situation and what your kids are like but a lot (possibly even most) little ones will grumble intermittently in the night even if theres nothing wrong. if something wakes our weans up and they need one of us they generally havent been shy about letting us know - again this depends on your house but if everywhere in your house/flat is in earshot of a decently enthusiastic wail from the childrens room then in my experience theres no significant advantage to having a monitor

Yeah in my experience we went with a sound monitor for like the first 9 or so months of my son's life and ultimately I think it lead to less healthy sleep for everyone involved. Sometimes they cry or make a noise during the night, they don't immediately need you.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    My mom has arrived.

Ellie woke up and her Gigi was already here.

Ellie has not stopped talking. She has taken her Gigi on a tour of the house, showing her all the new toys since Gigi was here last, and her new room, and making her cups of tea, and and and Gigi Look Gigi Look!

It's been super cute.

• sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Uh oh we done gone and had a baby!

Say hello to Samuel

t7iqnhlhnfm3.jpg

640qocnq4ske.gif
    That is a very squishy, cute baby! Welcome, Samuel!

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Hey Isaac is gonna be 5 next month, so for christmas I wanted to get him a telescope for like, moon and planet gazing, but the amazon reviews are all over the map and full of people who are very bad at commenting on the internet.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for something under 70 bucks? This is kind of new ground for us, as we don't normally do any astronomy stuff and it's all very confusing.

It's not "classic-telescope" shaped, but if you want to look at far-off things in the sky, you'll get much better results at this sort of price level with a dobsonian:

https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-21024-FirstScope-Telescope/dp/B001UQ6E4Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1544217733&sr=8-3&keywords=tabletop+telescope

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I was just changing my son's diaper and noticed he had some redness around the base of the tip of his penis. It was a bright red ring, about 1/3 around the tip. I thought it was bleeding and went to clean it with a wet nap. He howled in pain when I touched the area. No blood though, just bright red.

Internet searches says it's a common rash to the plague. Hoping for some more common sense, general responses here. I love you internet, but you sometimes have far too many voices.

He seems okay right now. I'm guessing it's a rash from bad hygiene (I haven't bathed him in a while or wiped his junk properly) or maybe his diaper was too snug. I don't want to over react and run to the doctor unless he isn't showing signs of getting better. I'm thinking of cleaning it up and applying some A&D cream to it and see what happens. Good idea? Thoughts?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I was just changing my son's diaper and noticed he had some redness around the base of the tip of his penis. It was a bright red ring, about 1/3 around the tip. I thought it was bleeding and went to clean it with a wet nap. He howled in pain when I touched the area. No blood though, just bright red.

Internet searches says it's a common rash to the plague. Hoping for some more common sense, general responses here. I love you internet, but you sometimes have far too many voices.

He seems okay right now. I'm guessing it's a rash from bad hygiene (I haven't bathed him in a while or wiped his junk properly) or maybe his diaper was too snug. I don't want to over react and run to the doctor unless he isn't showing signs of getting better. I'm thinking of cleaning it up and applying some A&D cream to it and see what happens. Good idea? Thoughts?

Yep, it's happened to both of our boys too, usually when we go too long without a bath. Just clean it up and he'll be fine.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Yep, it's happened to both of our boys too, usually when we go too long without a bath. Just clean it up and he'll be fine.

My son has a bad habit of not lifting his penis away from his scrotum so if we don't bathe him (or make him bathe himself) he will start to get a rash. It is an ongoing issue but fortunately has never needed anything more then some a&d to clear it up.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    According to Chris Rock, I had one job; to keep her off the pole.

l9ol572ao4m5.jpg

I’ve officially failed as a father.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    We've found one use for the large partially finished basement room.

raqe30e3bhta.jpg

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Uh, yes please, that's amazing. I was just saying today I want a padded room for my baby to get out all wiggles.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    watching rex build lego on his own represents peak pride

ovTvYQ7.jpg

sC4Q4nq.jpg
    My two year old just beat me at Connect Four.

My shame needs to be shared.

The time has finally arrived... the kids are old enough to play a video game together and give their parents an extra hour in bed. 8-)

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    bsjezz wrote: »
    watching rex build lego on his own represents peak pride

ovTvYQ7.jpg

It's a great feeling when they bring you something they've made you out of Lego and it actually looks like something. We've had lots of "rocket ships" in the past that are just random assortments of bricks but today there was a crane with a boom arm, a cabin for someone to sit in and a set of wheels so things could go up and down. It actually looks like a crane! It's amazing!

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
    Kids playing Smash Bros this morning. They also decorated that tree!

2018-12-09%2022.20.20.jpg

And they’ve been looking so much older lately, I think. Anya really struck me last night as having made the transition to kid and not just little kid:

2018-12-09%2022.21.24.jpg

She also read two books last night; not long ones, granted (they’re the two shown here), but since I don’t often get to see her reading it’s good to see how interested she still is!

Niko’s faces crack me up. He’s happy, I swear...

2018-12-09%2022.16.30.jpg

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    My nephew and his dad just got home tonight. Said nephew spent the last hour showing me the new toys he got. Aside from the rad Legos, he got this camera that is very clearly a kid's toy but also stupidly advanced. It prints actual photos (when hooked up to a PC via USB), it has extra software loaded on it, and at least one of the games is controlled by gyro. What the hell man, kids get rad stuff these days.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    And they’ve been looking so much older lately, I think. Anya really struck me last night as having made the transition to kid and not just little kid:

She also read two books last night; not long ones, granted (they’re the two shown here), but since I don’t often get to see her reading it’s good to see how interested she still is!

Did you guys have a Scholastic book fair recently, by any chance?

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    We heard a little bit of crying from William's room last night, usually he just goes back to sleep but this time we hear tentative footsteps and he clumsily makes his way into our bedroom (I think this might actually be the first time he's done so for a year or two - he's 6).

He starts feeling his way along our bed in the wrong direction from where I am and mumbles "I was just wondering....something fell and I was wondering what it was"

"Oh? Was it something inside or outside?"

"I was just wondering what it was (at this point he grabs hold of my foot)....I was just wondering......I was just wondering where you were?"

"I'm up here, come this way"

"I was just wondering....I was just wondering when you were?"

"I'm...err... (trying to suppress laughter at this point) I think I'm now"

This discussion has been closed.