As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best Christmas Movies [Chat]

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Die Hard
    Feral wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I was certain Java was dead.

The paradigm of running a Java Virtual Machine on a Windows desktop is mostly dead

But for server apps, web apps, other platforms it's very much alive

C# is coming in hot to replace it in some instances that don't have a lot of technical debt they need to service.

I used to work in a place whose principal software ran in an emulated IBM AS/400 environment, which itself was written in Java and ran in a JVM.

It was really finicky about the JVM supplier and version, too. Fell over after every update.

I wonder how they're getting on with that these days.

Probably still running Java. Places that are heavy Java are resilient to changing it because of the technical debt required to create platforms like that. This is the reason COBOL and FORTRAN still both exist.

Comparing Java to FORTRAN is some quality trolling

*slow clap*

Feral are you a fellow Java traveler

sig.gif
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    my one regret in life may be that i was never on guts or maybe legends of the hidden temple

I just knew if I got on Guts Moira Quirk would be my girlfriend

Did you know she's done voice acting for Skyrim, SWTOR, Kingdoms of Amalamadingdong, and X:COM?

*checks Wiki* "as well as voicing Elhaym Van Houten in the cult PlayStation RPG Xenogears." Holy shit.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    The Ice Harvest
    spool32 wrote: »
    my one regret in life may be that i was never on guts or maybe legends of the hidden temple

I just knew if I got on Guts Moira Quirk would be my girlfriend

Did you know she's done voice acting for Skyrim, SWTOR, Kingdoms of Amalamadingdong, and X:COM?

Yeah she voices Dorne in the MMO, she can literally be your online girlfriend.

Mike Adamle actually showed up on Justified as a huge asshole, which didn't seem like much acting either.

NO IFS AND OR BUTTS THESE KIDS HAVE GUTS!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Its A wonderful Life
    Kamiro wrote: »
    so former warehouse guy who i only recently learned didn't work here anymore has shown up to the office with a rose so i think that mystery may be solved

You know what you must do.
    Tell her she remains his power, his pleasure, his pain
    Tell her "to me you're like a growing addiction that I can't deny
    Won't you tell me, is that healthy, baby?
    But did you know that when it snows
    My eyes become large and the light that you shine can be seen?
    Baby, I compare you to a kiss from a rose on the gray
    Ooh, the more I get of you, the stranger it feels, yeah"

wandering on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

The paradigm of running a Java Virtual Machine on a Windows desktop is mostly dead

C# is coming in hot to replace it in some instances that don't have a lot of technical debt they need to service.

I used to work in a place whose principal software ran in an emulated IBM AS/400 environment, which itself was written in Java and ran in a JVM.

It was really finicky about the JVM supplier and version, too. Fell over after every update.

Probably still running Java. Places that are heavy Java are resilient to changing it because of the technical debt required to create platforms like that. This is the reason COBOL and FORTRAN still both exist.

Yeah I was more amused by the fact that they paid for an emulated environment so that they could continue to run software written for an ancient set of systems, and the infrastructure for their solution is now itself technical debt.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Nightmare Before Christmas
    so former warehouse guy who i only recently learned didn't work here anymore has shown up to the office with a rose so i think that mystery may be solved

Is the rose for you?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

Nick Arcade

I remember wanting to play Steel Empire so much because of that show, only to find out years later that it isn't actually all that great.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

*slow clap*

No. Not at all.

I just know from the software I implement/manage/support/purchase that Java is alive and well

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Die Hard

*slow clap*

Java has improved, it's still very much going the way of both of those languages though. Especially when you're arms deep in a system and find out, whoops it's Java 1.2 and you're suddenly back in 1998.

Though if you're part of an organization that deals almost entirely with Java (aerospace, government), you'll likely have strong opinions that Java is great and isn't going away, and bowen is crazy.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

*slow clap*

Java has improved, it's still very much going the way of both of those languages though. Especially when you're arms deep in a system and find out, whoops it's Java 1.2 and you're suddenly back in 1998.

It really isn't but okay

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    *nods knowingly and pretends her programming knowledge isn't horribly out of date*

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Its A wonderful Life

Java was always such a pain in the ass. Don't have the right version of .net installed? App doesn't run. Don't have the right combination of JVM, version, moon cycle? The app doesn't run but does tell you that there OS will explode and a countdown clock starts. Have the right version and JVM? Still might not run because it doesn't like the moon cycle or Windows updated Calculator so now it's time for a hissy fit.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Die Hard

*slow clap*

No. Not at all.

I just know from the software I implement/manage/support/purchase that Java is alive and well

Oh darn I thought you might be a bro

I'll put a frown next to your name in the spreadsheet

edit: and Wandering's

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Its A wonderful Life

*slow clap*

No. Not at all.

alive, yes. but well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PItio7u5OoM

• Options
    Ada Lovelace was such a badass

• Options

I like your Pangurban avatar

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

I support an environment that's still exactly this. And it still does exactly that. And they'll never change it as long as it costs them less money to react to potential problems than the overhaul required to prevent those problems.

• Options

I like your Pangurban avatar

Thanks! I'm pleased with it. It still feels weird not to have a Doctor Who one.

• Options
    Die Hard

*slow clap*

It really isn't but okay

Yes you manage java because of technical debt, places that aren't massively beholden to picking up that stack avoid it like the plague.

Things like Kotlin are kind of breathing new life into the language, but ehhhhhhh there are better choices usually (I've seen die hard Java fans switching to Go lately).

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Umm Actually Christmas is a capitalist expansion of Christian Dogma
    I don’t want to go to bed but my time has come

• Options
    Sleep well, Neco!

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Die Hard
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Your one regret? That’s the one?

i can't think of any others

no egrets

We post on a forum, we're full of e-grets.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular

wait what

im just more confused

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The Ice Harvest

wait what

im just more confused

Chanus is the meat in an MMF sandwich is what I'm getting.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Die Hard
    cisco has a hard on for java too I have no idea why

• Options
    Now I want a sandwich

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

*slow clap*

Epic still uses MUMPS

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Christmas Vacation (the Joke option)

• Options
    Die Hard
    @Brody been posting my exact takes all day in chat and I'm really appreciating the efficiency of just agreeing with your post instead of having to put together a cogent thought.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

wait what

im just more confused

Chanus is the meat in an MMF sandwich is what I'm getting.

Dunno context, wont read further, pressing agree

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Die Hard
    Epic has mumps too.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

wait what

im just more confused

so i wasn’t sure but i suspected smiling girl was romantically involved with a guy in the warehouse

who i also only recently learned hasn’t worked here in like three months

i don’t leave my office much

anyway he brought her roses today so i think suspicion confirmed

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

man, the bachelor really went downhill, huh

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Die Hard
    And you suspected it because there's a picture of him on her desk.

Which is a pretty big clue, yeah, unless she like collects or something and you were next on the list.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Now I want a sandwich

i pretty much always want a sandwich

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Anyone remember the other week when I was talking about buying some special Kingdom Hearts clothing?

Well it turns out you could only order it from within Japan.

But I was already so set on the idea of spending money on this stuff that I found a place that you can pay and they will order Japan exclusive stuff online for you and then ship it to you when they get it.

So basically I committed really hard to this vidya clothing and it cost even more than I expected.

But... it's totally gonna look rad so... worth?

did you get an Organization XIII raincoat stacey

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Its A wonderful Life
    wandering wrote: »
    Kamiro wrote: »

You know what you must do.
    Tell her she remains his power, his pleasure, his pain
    Tell her "to me you're like a growing addiction that I can't deny
    Won't you tell me, is that healthy, baby?
    But did you know that when it snows
    My eyes become large and the light that you shine can be seen?
    Baby, I compare you to a kiss from a rose on the gray
    Ooh, the more I get of you, the stranger it feels, yeah"

All throughout my early adulthood, I thought it was "Kiss from a rose on the grave", which seemed a bit maudlin and dour. Years later, I found it was "Kiss from ma rose on the gray", although my thoughts haven't changed on the sadness scale.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular

wait what

im just more confused

so i wasn’t sure but i suspected smiling girl was romantically involved with a guy in the warehouse

who i also only recently learned hasn’t worked here in like three months

i don’t leave my office much

anyway he brought her roses today so i think suspicion confirmed

He's trying to win her back from you.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Get dunked.

• Options
    Die Hard
    I thought it was "kiss from a rose on the grave" until just this moment.

This discussion has been closed.