As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Constantly getting logged out

Anyone else constantly getting logged out?

It seems if I'm not on the forums for some time (an hour, maybe), when I visit next, I get logged out.

Is it possible the session time on the cookie is set too low and is expiring when I'm away for an extended period?

There are several cookies set for the PA domain that I can see, though most of them have an expiration date well into next year. Only one expires later today -- 6PM but I'm not sure what time zone it is.

Thoughts?

• SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    uur1x2yxudcr.png

Screenshot of my cookies, if it helps.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Over the past like 3-4 days I've noticed it if I'm switching PCs I have to log in again.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    It's been happening to me today using current Firefox on Win 7, 10, and Android. Had to log in around 4 today and then again just now on the same PC.

nibXTE7.png
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    This happens to me as well across PC's and mobile devices. Usually every couple of weeks I'll be randomly logged out.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    this happened once for me the other day switching from pc back to mobile but just the one time so i didn't think anything of it

it happens occasionally if i go phone > work pc > home pc > phone

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Same, I was going to make this topic yesterday. I only really log in from my home laptop running Firefox and Win10 and it's been logging me off about every 24 hours.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Happening to me pretty much every time I come back to my PC at home, using Firefox. Have not been having any problems at my PC at work, which is also using Firefox.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Someone tell me if this is happening tomorrow. If so, browser and OS details please.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i haven’t seen it since i got a chrome update on my iphone yesterday saying they fixed a bug with authenticating expired cookies or some such

which sounds rather related to the problem

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    It happened to me this morning, everything was fine yesterday, today I turned on my laptop (firefox, latest update, and win 10, updated) and I was logged out.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Happened just now, current iteration of Chrome on Win10.

sig.gif
    Just happened to me.

Windows 10, Chrome 71.0.3578.80

• AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Just happened to me again. Windows 7, Firefox 63.0.3

alright, I no longer need duplicate reports.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    As this wasn't mentioned, I just wanted to note that when I refreshed the page or navigated to a sub-forum/thread I didn't have to actually my credentials again. On mobile I was even able to see my notifications, etc. with the login prompt displayed.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yep, happening on my phone and pc

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Multiple times on my phone today (Android, Chrome) without switching to my pc or anything

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I've noticed that if I refresh the page when it's not logged in, there's a decent chance it logs back in itself without me re-entering my info.

sig.gif
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    I've noticed that if I refresh the page when it's not logged in, there's a decent chance it logs back in itself without me re-entering my info.

I've found this works when I'm on my PC, but on my phone I still have to log back in.

nibXTE7.png
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Happens to me a couple times a day. Chrome on Android.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited December 2018
    If were going to look into this, I need the reports to become more focused.

- Switching devices and being logged out isn't a bug, this isn't some account based thing, its based on cookies.
    - Getting logged out sometimes, like after a few days might not be a bug either, depending on how you are managing your cookies.
    - Getting logged out multiple times a day might be an issue, but android/chrome has had a lot of bugs off and on that look pretty similar to this issue and so I'm not easily convinced that its isolated to the forums even if it doesn't seem to present itself on other sites, particularly when the forums might be one of the few sites you navigate to this regularly that isn't a stand alone app.

I'm not able to easily replicate this, and I've been looking out for the issue in my normal browsing sessions.

Iruka on
    the frequency it occurs is maybe once a day for me, which is only notable because it's either that or not at all

but yeah, tough to really get any useful information out of that, and also

i mean

not the biggest deal? simply refreshing the page almost always brings me back to being logged in anyway

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    As for switching devices, what I meant by that was it seems to be exacerbated by going from my desktop to my laptop then back to my desktop. If I do this, my desktop will now be logged out. If I log back into the desktop, then go back to my laptop later in the day, my laptop will be logged out.

Refreshing fixes this about 80% of the time for some reason.

If I don't switch systems it doesn't seem to happen even if I come back 8 hours later.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I only recently started looking at the forum on my cell phone and I do now occasionally experience odd logouts on desktop. I have yet to try refreshing.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
    edited January 2019
    This is still occurring frequently for me.

It could be a Chrome issue as it is what I use on my desktop, phone and tablet.

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find a pattern to the logouts. More often than not, browsing to a subcategory will result in me being logged in, whereas simply refreshing the main forum page will still show me as logged out.

I'll keep testing and let you guys know what (if anything) I find out.

SeñorAmor on
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    As for switching devices, what I meant by that was it seems to be exacerbated by going from my desktop to my laptop then back to my desktop. If I do this, my desktop will now be logged out. If I log back into the desktop, then go back to my laptop later in the day, my laptop will be logged out.

Refreshing fixes this about 80% of the time for some reason.

If I don't switch systems it doesn't seem to happen even if I come back 8 hours later.

Agreed. The more often I'm hitting from different devices, the more likely it is I'm being logged out.

Are the cookies keyed by device, or when a new cookie is made does it expire the old one (IE one on the other device)? Also - are you using multiple cookie provider sources/structures for mobile vs. desktop/laptop?

SeñorAmor wrote: »
    This is still occurring frequently for me.

It could be a Chrome issue as it is what I use on my desktop, phone and tablet.

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find a pattern to the logouts. More often than not, browsing to a subcategory will result in me being logged in, whereas simply refreshing the main forum page will still show me as logged out.

I'll keep testing and let you guys know what (if anything) I find out.

This is now happening almost every time I come to the forums, regardless of device or time spent away.

I opened my browser and was logged out. Clicked on a subforum and was logged in. Browsed for a bit and accidentally closed my browser. Immediately reopened and was logged out again.

I can find no pattern to this, I'm afraid.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I get logged out on my desktop almost every time I open my browser and go to the forums for the first time each day. My phone almost never gets logged out.

• mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    I can confirm that the frequency of log-outs has definitely skyrocketed. I used to stay logged in for weeks at a time, now it's a couple of hours at most.

Hard to pin down a cause, I know - just providing another data point. Running Firefox 64.0 on this PC, but the problem seems to exist across any PC I use. I feel like my phone has also experienced an uptick in logouts, but nowhere near the extent of my PC usage.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I don't know if negative reports are useful, probably not useful, but I haven't noticed any increase in frequency of randomly needing to log back, running firefox 64.0.2, both desktop and mobile versions

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I’m getting logged out at least every 10 minutes or so, but it doesn’t appear to be time based, as sometimes I’ll log in, load a few pages, click a link and get asked to log in again. This just happened twice in a row so it’s neither time since last action nor every X minutes on the clock.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Had it happen in only D&D, on chrome on desktop, earlier. Logged out and back in from other subforums, still logged out in D&D. Passed after a while.

sig.gif
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2019
    Happened once a day for the last few days. Also the login popup window was a tiny square with only the close window cross in the top right corner visible. I was able to log in by tabbing through the controls I knew were there. On Chrome, but I was logged out on my iPhone using Safari as well.

EDIT: and instantly logged out in D&D again.

Bogart on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Logged out a half-dozen times while in D&D, go back to main forum list, back to D&D and I'm automatically logged in again.

I just got the tiny login box with the close X Bogart mentioned, went main list > D&D > main list and was logged back in also. Current Firefox on Win7.

nibXTE7.png
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Been getting loads of the phantom logoff today when I hit my G&T bookmark. Firefox 64.0.2 on w10

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    We've been in the process of switching up our DNS, so it might be that process causing the issue.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    When I come in off the comics into the forum sometimes I'm logged out and without HTTPS
    But when I come in directly to the forum It kicks directly to HTTPS

and I get logged out regularly

I'm using chrome.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Wow. I had the weirdest bug right now, where the "sign-in" popup didn't format properly and I couldn't see the fields for username or password. I tried manually entering them using keyboard commands, and got taken to the new user signup page. I cancelled that and was then logged in.

I didn't capture a picture. If I see it again, I'll attach it to this.

Edit: That was easy to recreate. I closed the tab and re-opened it, and it showed me as logged off and had the same broken popup.

8zyuz0bi8bvs.jpg

Private browsing window seems unaffected (Which is where I'm posting this from).

A refresh and a ctrl+f5 refresh on the normal browsing session does not help. A reload right now brought me to the page as if I was logged in.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    That is happening to me too, on my desktop (Chrome, Windows 10). I can open the sign-in link with a new tab though, and it brings me to a full sign in page that works. But I am still getting logged out every day the first time I visit the site.