As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best Christmas Movies [Chat]

1919293949597»

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Legacy programming is crazy

MUMPS was invented in 1966

I can't possibly imagine writing in a language that is decades older than I am

Also apparently HTML was released in 1993, which also blows my mind

I had thought that HTML was nearly as old as the internet but there you go

HTML existed in the 80s, 1993 was the first ISO release IIRC.

Okay this makes a lot more sense to me

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The Ice Harvest
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    VishNub wrote: »
    Maybe I'm actually warehouse guy

Well, we're going to need you two to engage in a series of ridiculous contests for her affection, then.

https://youtu.be/VFUcMVCO9Ww

Hang on, is that the black dude from Criminal Minds calling the walk-off? Huh.

Pretty sure that's Billy Zane you phillistine.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Christmas Vacation (the Joke option)
    Preacher wrote: »
    Chanus is going to be mid thrust on this lady posting to us "So I think she might like me".

i was going to write youtube.com/issheintoyou but i see ron took care of it

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Go is an awesome language.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Umm Actually Christmas is a capitalist expansion of Christian Dogma

Well, we're going to need you two to engage in a series of ridiculous contests for her affection, then.

That's Billy Zane, the villain from Titanic (not the iceberg, the rich dude).

Yep, just went and did the fact-check. Looked a lot like Shemar Moore minus facial hair in that resolution, though.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Die Hard
    Wait not ISO, maybe RFC? It was some weird SGML hybrid shit I think for HTML's early days.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Nightmare Before Christmas
    @Chanus bend over near her desk and see if she checks out your butt. This will be most effective if shorty is still around.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I was certain Java was dead.

The paradigm of running a Java Virtual Machine on a Windows desktop is mostly dead

But for server apps, web apps, other platforms it's very much alive

C# is coming in hot to replace it in some instances that don't have a lot of technical debt they need to service.

I used to work in a place whose principal software ran in an emulated IBM AS/400 environment, which itself was written in Java and ran in a JVM.

It was really finicky about the JVM supplier and version, too. Fell over after every update.

I wonder how they're getting on with that these days.

Probably still running Java. Places that are heavy Java are resilient to changing it because of the technical debt required to create platforms like that. This is the reason COBOL and FORTRAN still both exist.

Comparing Java to FORTRAN is some quality trolling

*slow clap*

Java has improved, it's still very much going the way of both of those languages though. Especially when you're arms deep in a system and find out, whoops it's Java 1.2 and you're suddenly back in 1998.

It really isn't but okay

Yes you manage java because of technical debt, places that aren't massively beholden to picking up that stack avoid it like the plague.

Things like Kotlin are kind of breathing new life into the language, but ehhhhhhh there are better choices usually (I've seen die hard Java fans switching to Go lately).

Last week I replaced my home automation controller with the only serious open source home automation platform. It is relatively new, just went through a major code rewrite a few years ago, has active development, and ohbytheway is written in Java.

The entire Android ecosystem is heavily reliant on Java. If you want to make Android apps, you pretty much have to do it in Java.

My company runs on two large business automation platforms. One of them is in Java. That company publishes a roadmap; migration off of Java isn't anywhere on it.

Here's a graph from codingdojo:

2018-developer-job-listings-for-most-popular-programming-languages1.jpg

Java is still at the top of the Tiobe index:

https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/

Nerds love to look at a 3% decline in market share and say "Nintendo Java will be dead in 5 years." For example, I've been hearing about the purported death of PHP for 10 years now, yet WordPress remains the most popular website platform.

Regarding PHP, I think we can all agree that sometimes we should let the past die. Kill it if we have to.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular

Don't forget Ishamael from that 3 AM Wheel of Time produced-solely-to-maintain-rights shitshow.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Its A wonderful Life
    Billy Zane is one of those guys who looks great bald and looks great with hair (when he had it), but does NOT look great with his usual Male Pattern Baldness look:
    8507_v9_bb.jpg

Sheesh.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Nightmare Before Christmas
    Ilpala wrote: »

Don't forget Ishamael from that 3 AM Wheel of Time produced-solely-to-maintain-rights shitshow.

wait what

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I was certain Java was dead.

The paradigm of running a Java Virtual Machine on a Windows desktop is mostly dead

But for server apps, web apps, other platforms it's very much alive

C# is coming in hot to replace it in some instances that don't have a lot of technical debt they need to service.

I used to work in a place whose principal software ran in an emulated IBM AS/400 environment, which itself was written in Java and ran in a JVM.

It was really finicky about the JVM supplier and version, too. Fell over after every update.

I wonder how they're getting on with that these days.

Probably still running Java. Places that are heavy Java are resilient to changing it because of the technical debt required to create platforms like that. This is the reason COBOL and FORTRAN still both exist.

Comparing Java to FORTRAN is some quality trolling

*slow clap*

Java has improved, it's still very much going the way of both of those languages though. Especially when you're arms deep in a system and find out, whoops it's Java 1.2 and you're suddenly back in 1998.

It really isn't but okay

Yes you manage java because of technical debt, places that aren't massively beholden to picking up that stack avoid it like the plague.

Things like Kotlin are kind of breathing new life into the language, but ehhhhhhh there are better choices usually (I've seen die hard Java fans switching to Go lately).

Last week I replaced my home automation controller with the only serious open source home automation platform. It is relatively new, just went through a major code rewrite a few years ago, has active development, and ohbytheway is written in Java.

The entire Android ecosystem is heavily reliant on Java. If you want to make Android apps, you pretty much have to do it in Java.

My company runs on two large business automation platforms. One of them is in Java. That company publishes a roadmap; migration off of Java isn't anywhere on it.

Here's a graph from codingdojo:

2018-developer-job-listings-for-most-popular-programming-languages1.jpg

Java is still at the top of the Tiobe index:

https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/

Nerds love to look at a 3% decline in market share and say "Nintendo Java will be dead in 5 years." For example, I've been hearing about the purported death of PHP for 10 years now, yet WordPress remains the most popular website platform.

Regarding PHP, I think we can all agree that sometimes we should let the past die. Kill it if we have to.

*mashes agree harder*

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    No one should ever use php and wordpress is an abomination.

Also everything old is bad.

I'm not sure if those words reflect my feelings and/or the truth but you have to have strong opinions to survive in this industry.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was zooming by at warp 2.9

@Winky will create the new thread
    @Ilpala is backup

This discussion has been closed.