As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mods know too much about the [Conspiracy Theories] thread

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Yeah, I mean look at Christianity, it's a doomsday cult that has lasted more than 2000 years

Less edgelordy, you can look at any number of doomsday splinter sects of Christianity from the past 500 years or so where we have records to show that they kept moving the timeline for the End Times when the previous deadline came and went.

The original Christians also thought Jesus would return and the world would end very soon. Mainstream Christianity grew out of that though, obviously, although it did pop up again on several occasions (e.g., during the plague).

Mate I bet life as an early Christian was a wild experience

Like every morning "shit Jesus could come back today guys"

Living in a state of religious awareness 24/7

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    My grandparents have been living that life for 80+ years

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Yeah, I mean look at Christianity, it's a doomsday cult that has lasted more than 2000 years

Less edgelordy, you can look at any number of doomsday splinter sects of Christianity from the past 500 years or so where we have records to show that they kept moving the timeline for the End Times when the previous deadline came and went.

The original Christians also thought Jesus would return and the world would end very soon. Mainstream Christianity grew out of that though, obviously, although it did pop up again on several occasions (e.g., during the plague).

Mate I bet life as an early Christian was a wild experience

Like every morning "shit Jesus could come back today guys"

Living in a state of religious awareness 24/7

It's kind of amazing it survived that. St Paul's big role was codifying it as a religion with potential to last beyond that initial burst of fervor. He had a bit of a headache in terms of organizing relief for folks who gave away all their possessions in order to be free of worldly encumbrances, and then ended up without anything.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    The QAnon take down of Hillary is "coming soon".
    Also, so is Half-Life 3.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Also, so is Half-Life 3.

Hillary and Half-Life both start with H, and C is the 3rd letter of the alphabet...

Hillary Clinton is Half-Life 3

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Also, so is Half-Life 3.

Hillary and Half-Life both start with H, and C is the 3rd letter of the alphabet...

So Freeman loses?

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »
    Also, so is Half-Life 3.

So Freeman loses?

No. we lose. Because we didn't elect Half-Life 3 there will never be a Hillary Clinton.

Or something like that. It gets a little fuzzy trying to figure this all out.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »
    Also, so is Half-Life 3.

So Freeman loses?

No. we lose. Because we didn't elect Half-Life 3 there will never be a Hillary Clinton.

Or something like that. It gets a little fuzzy trying to figure this all out.

... unless there already WAS a Half-Life 3!

Hold on, let me check that time circle again

Be right back!
    Narrator: He wasn't.

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    So apparently today is the day that the Qanon flunkies have been waiting for- 60k indictments or some crap. It'll be noon soon, they had better a move on.

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I think that the Q theorists are seeing how the left is getting over the Mueller investigation, and wanting that to be theirs. It's unusual that a left-wing conspiracy takes hold (and this seems to be largely because it's got some very solid evidence rather than the Q-esque wishful thinking, even if people are probably overestimating the scope.) The Q guys want Mueller to be investigating their bugbears rather than their idols. They want the feeling that some of the left have, that a stern judge is about to vindicate every anxiety and fear and hope they ever had.

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    What you guys don’t understand about that clock is that it’s actually a 2D picture of a 4th dimensional object. It makes perfect sense if you can see the actual tesseract moving its layers, which shows you 100% truth when aligned with the actual flow of secret time inside 3 dimensional space, but only if your align the vertice with the correct right angle within the wavelength.

0sbvtb255d5g.gif

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Did everyone survive the Q purges last night?

I managed to distract their hunter squads with some leftover Halloween candy and some cans of Mountain Dew.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I just accidentally left my outside lights on sobit constantly looked like someone was coming home all night. No Qpurg3 here.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »

I managed to distract their hunter squads with some leftover Halloween candy and some cans of Mountain Dew.

i think the most shocking thing here is that you still have leftover halloween candy

mine was gone in like 2 days

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

i think the most shocking thing here is that you still have leftover halloween candy

Every year my housemates and I get a bag of sugary candy and a bag of chocolatey candy to give the kids some variety. And every year we have a punch bowl half filled with red starburst, gummy bears, and fun-sized boxes of nerds lying around for like 6 months after the fact.

We never learn!

BloodySloth on
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

Every year my housemates and I get a bag of sugary candy and a bag of chocolatey candy to give the kids some variety. And every year we have a punch bowl half filled with red starburst, gummy bears, and fun-sized boxes of nerds lying around for like 6 months after the fact.

We never learn!

I'm not seeing a problem here

Also it helps save you from the Q purges

win win

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    I did not survive the q purges. I was replaced by a robot

wbBv3fj.png
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

That's exactly what someone who was not replaced would say to throw them off.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Goumindong wrote: »

That's exactly what someone who was not replaced would say to throw them off.

What if I said I was replaced by a robutt, instead?

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I was replaced by a sentient version of a Q-Bert arcade console.

After I eventually take over the interwebs, I’m going to upload myself into all social media and force them to codify my language into the official language of my human minions, for I am the real Q!

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    I was replaced by a sentient version of a Q-Bert arcade console.

After I eventually take over the interwebs, I’m going to upload myself into all social media and force them to codify my language into the official language of my human minions, for I am the real Q!

%#@! $+;?, am I right?

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular

I basically have to ration mine out over a few months, because milk chocolate doesn’t taste as good to me, now. I need to give myself time to forget that, and I don’t like wasting food so once it’s open I have to finish it.

I mean, I give away the ones I don’t like/are just too sugary, that’s obvious.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Edgy

Unfortunately I can't just say "look up 'The Millennial Spirit'" because the internet is oversaturated with stuff about the current millenials. But I can say look up "Millennialism".
    Millennialism is the belief that Christ will return specifically on the 1000th day of Christian rule. When that didn't happen in 1000 AD or in 1260 AD, people began to notice and they developed the belief that the reason he hasn't returned is because Christianity didn't rein over all of the Earth for 1000 yrs.

This developed into "The Millenial Spirit", a belief that all had to atone and join the church. This is notable in the large number of apocalyptic monuments and structures that went up around this time period, each depicting the end of the world in more graphic terms and mostly for the first time in the history of the religion. Previously while Millenialism was the most common belief, it was not necessarily the full focus of the teachings.

When you look at the most horrendous acts of forced Christian conversions, you tend to find The Millenial Spirit had some role either in how they planned or justified the acts (depending on how you wish to view it)

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Unfortunately I can't just say "look up 'The Millennial Spirit'" because the internet is oversaturated with stuff about the current millenials. But I can say look up "Millennialism".
    Millennialism is the belief that Christ will return specifically on the 1000th day of Christian rule. When that didn't happen in 1000 AD or in 1260 AD, people began to notice and they developed the belief that the reason he hasn't returned is because Christianity didn't rein over all of the Earth for 1000 yrs.

This developed into "The Millenial Spirit", a belief that all had to atone and join the church. This is notable in the large number of apocalyptic monuments and structures that went up around this time period, each depicting the end of the world in more graphic terms and mostly for the first time in the history of the religion. Previously while Millenialism was the most common belief, it was not necessarily the full focus of the teachings.

When you look at the most horrendous acts of forced Christian conversions, you tend to find The Millenial Spirit had some role either in how they planned or justified the acts (depending on how you wish to view it)
    I read about an Eskimo hunter who asked the local missionary priest, 'If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?'
    'No,' said the priest, 'not if you did not know.'
    'Then why,' asked the Eskimo earnestly, 'did you tell me?'

- Annie Dillard, Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, 1974

Anyway, there was an element of that with that missionary/wannabe adventurer/dumbass who tried to invade North Sentinel Island. Just before his last fatal attempt, in his diary he had written something about the island being the "last outpost of Satan" on the planet. Presumably, he goes in and tries to convert them, and whether or not he succeeds, they've had their chance and now Jesus can come back and/or the world can be destroyed.

Of course, the Sentinelese wanted nothing to do with that crap, as they had tried to make clear in his first landing when they shot an arrow into his Bible.

edited December 2018
    If just having the choice was enough, then this shit would have been over with a century ago and we wouldn't have run out of story ideas the last three seasons. The North Sentinelese aren't uncontacted, there's actually been a ton of contact with them, it's just outsiders keep serving a side order of plague with their good intentions and they decided to say fuck that shit.

There are legitimately uncontacted tribes in South America and Indonesia if you just want to check the boxes that everybody's "had their chance." And for that matter, nearly all of the actually uncontacted groups remain uncontacted because they saw what happened to their neighbors who didn't, not because they can't comprehend a world bigger than their tiny villages.

Hevach on
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Hevach, I'm pretty sure you put way more thought into that post than the late wannabe missionary put into his entire venture.

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    He heard about them as a child and his reportedly first on the subject was “I wanna be the very best at bringing them to Jesus”

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    He heard about them as a child and his reportedly first on the subject was “I wanna be the very best at bringing them to Jesus”

Like no one ever was..

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    https://amp.dailydot.com/layer8/qanon-green-party-candidate/

One source of Q Anon "leaks" was a Twitter user known as "TheRealRaNon."

This person, known as R or Vincent Fusca, shows up at Trump rallies in a fedora and the sad facial hair of a precocious 12 year old, and Q believers have been claiming for months he is JFK Jr in disguise... Except he doesn't wear a disguise so that's dumb.

Well, after months, somebody did what everyone should have done right the fuck away and checked the account's history. It has two previous names, RayaAndJill2016 and RayParrishAZ.

It's the campaign account of Ray Parrish, a Republican funded Green Party candidate.

Vincent Fusca also doesn't look like Ray Parrish, so this only raises more questions, but it does narrow down that this outlet isn't some insider in the government or JFK Jr, but an idiot from either Parrish's or Paul Babeu's campaigns. (Babeu's campaign did much of the work for Parrish's, and funded what they didn't do themselves).

Life lesson: create a new damn account for your trolling!

edited January 2019
    Can we just talk about charlatans who exploit wing nuts?

Brian Kolfage, triple amputee, full-on dirtbag, has made a career out of far-right fake news clickbait and grifting GoFundMe donors.
    [Kolfage] has tapped crowdfunding and his social media following to help raise money for a variety of issues and causes over the years, including his own legal fees against what he characterized as “radical left-wing extremists” who slandered him, according to 2014 court documents.

A year later, he used GoFundMe to collect $16,246 for a veteran mentorship program. The campaign closed in February 2015, and the funds went directly to Kolfage, Bobby Whithorne, a GoFundMe spokesperson, confirmed to BuzzFeed News.

In now-deleted Facebook posts, Kolfage appealed to followers to donate to “get vets back on track” and said his program worked in conjunction with military hospitals, such as Walter Reed, Brooke Army Medical Center, and Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany, which treated Kolfage in 2004 after the horrific explosion at Balad Air Base in Iraq that left him injured.

But representatives for all three medical centers told BuzzFeed News that they have no record of any peer-mentoring programs or Kolfage working with patients at their centers.

And he has finally activated his largest trap card yet: requesting everyone who donated to his Wall GoFundMe to transfer their donations to a shiny new 501(c)4 so they can build the wall themselves! Or at least $20 million of it.

But don't worry, they're super good at Wall.
    Our team strongly believes that we can complete our segments of the wall for less than half of the government’s estimated costs on a per mile basis.
    To show the government how “We the People” can get this done, we have formed a Section 501(c)(4) non-profit Florida Corporation named “We Build the Wall, Inc.” to receive the GoFundMe contributions. Our website can be found at www.webuildthewall.us.

And who is this team?
    The following individuals serve on the on the advisory board, and construction, finance, and or audit committees, operations, administration, PR, Media and ongoing fundraising:

Brigadier General Dr. Robert S. Spalding III
    Industrialist John Daniel Moran, Jr.
    Ex-Navy SEAL and businessman Erik Prince,
    Former Secretary of State of Kansas Kris Kobach,
    Angel Mom Mary Ann Mendoza
    Law enforcement and immigration expert Sheriff David Clarke
    Classy bunch there. Not sure who is actually a board member or an "advisor" as I couldn't find "We Build the Wall, Inc" on any public records yet.

Fortunately, GoFundMe will refund all donors that do not specifically request the transfer in 90 days. I was wondering why he posted two updates this week to "tell everyone you know who donated to watch for my next update!"

Hopefully they did not.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Today in Fuck Alex Jones: Sandy Hook families win discovery:
    A judge in Connecticut has granted the families’ discovery requests, allowing them access to, among other things, Infowars’ internal marketing and financial documents.

The judge has scheduled a hearing next week to decide whether to allow the plaintiffs’ attorneys to depose Jones.

The plaintiffs include the parents of five children who went to the school as well as family members of first-grade teacher Victoria Leigh Soto and Principal Dawn Hochsprung, according to a statement from the plaintiff's attorneys.

Please, please let them depose the goose. It would be amazing.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    I, for one, am shocked. Just shocked that the Wall gofundme founder was likely just going to pocket the money.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    So, this guy says he started Qanon and he has the keybase verification to prove it, maybe?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Qult_Headquarters/comments/af40f5/q_is_james_brower/

The actual tweet:

Video of him talking about it here, but fyi it's a long video and he's clearly an alt-right asshole, though at least he's making an attempt to get people to stop believing in Q (it won't work, but y'know)

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    So, this guy says he started Qanon and he has the keybase verification to prove it, maybe?

The actual tweet:

Video of him talking about it here, but fyi it's a long video and he's clearly an alt-right asshole, though at least he's making an attempt to get people to stop believing in Q (it won't work, but y'know)

So clearly the next step is "The Deep State trotted out a patsy and the real Q had to go into hiding, which is why we're not seeing any more official Q-drops".

I don't think I've ever watched what happens to a conspiracy movement when the founder abandons it but the base is too invested to listen to their former prophet. This should be equal parts fascinating and horrifying.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Raiden333 wrote: »

The actual tweet:

So clearly the next step is "The Deep State trotted out a patsy and the real Q had to go into hiding, which is why we're not seeing any more official Q-drops".

I don't think I've ever watched what happens to a conspiracy movement when the founder abandons it but the base is too invested to listen to their former prophet. This should be equal parts fascinating and horrifying.

Well also if you listen to the video, this guy says he's only responsible for the first Q posts on 4chan. Someone else as yet unrevealed did the continued posts on 8chan, so yeah this won't even end the "Q drops."

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    Raiden333 wrote: »

The actual tweet:

If you thought rabbits bearing candy eggs was weird,

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    so uh, where's this one fall?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/12/former-raf-pilot-shot-down-un-chief-dag-hammarskjold-1961-plane

Short Version: a Documentary at Sundance makes the claim that, basically, the death of UN Secretary General Dag Hammarskjöld in a 1961 plane crash was, in fact, an assassination carried out by a former Belgian WWII pilot.
    Half a century later, flying skills he learned in Britain would also make the younger van Risseghem internationally notorious, when he was publicly linked to the plane crash that killed Swedish diplomat Dag Hammarskjöld, the UN secretary general, in 1961.

His plane, the Albertina, came down in forest just outside the town of Ndola in present-day Zambia, then Northern Rhodesia, just after midnight on 18 September, as it approached the town’s airport.

Fifteen people on board died immediately, and the only survivor in hospital a few days later. The same day, a US ambassador sent a secret cable – one that stayed buried in files for decades – speculating about possible sabotage and apparently naming Van Risseghem as a suspect.

But his name would not be connected with Hammarskjöld’s in public until many years later, after the Belgian pilot had returned to his quiet hometown of Lint with his British wife, raised two sons and mourned the death of one, retired, and then died a war hero himself.

This may be because, as the initial shock and suspicions about Hammarskjöld’s death gradually faded, so too did interest in the crash.

Rumours about why the plane came down were fuelled by no less a figure than former US president Harry Truman. He told reporters two days after Hammarskjöld’s death that the UN leader “was on the point of getting something done when they killed him. Notice that I said ‘when they killed him.’”

He refused to elaborate, but it was the start of decades of suspicions that western governments were not sharing all the information they held about the crash.

Separate inquiries – including one by the UN, and another by Hammarskjöld’s native Sweden – failed to provide a compelling explanation of what happened, all blaming pilot error or reaching an open verdict.

It took nearly 50 years, and publication of a damning book by academic Susan Williams, Who Killed Hammarskjöld?, for the UN to start asking that same question again, rekindling doubts about the attack from conspiracy theorists who had picked over it for decades.

Among the critical evidence gathered by Williams and independent researcher Göran Björkdahl is testimony from a former US spy, posted to a listening station in Cyprus, who heard a recording of a pilot apparently narrating the attack as it unfolded, transmitted just minutes after it happened.

It matches accounts collected from Zambian witnesses living around the crash site, who said they had seen a second aircraft near Hammarskjöld’s plane and unusual lights and sounds in the sky. They had been largely ignored by white officials working on the early inquiries. The sole immediate survivor of the crash also described some kind of aerial attack, involving “sparks in the air” before he died a week after the crash. Doctors said he was lucid at the time, but his testimony had also been largely ignored.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    IIRC his death was a minor source of speculation at the time.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    What was the “something” he was “on the point of getting done”

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    knitdan wrote: »
    What was the “something” he was “on the point of getting done”

Probably getting Western Mercs out of the Kongo. Kongo had just been granted independence from Belgium, but western interests still had huge control over the economy. Especially the important Mining industry. This included the valuable Bauxite deposits in Katanga province. The mining corporations hired thousands of French Indochina Vets as "security", but they where pretty much Mercs. Training, Leading and running the Katanga secession with US and Belgian support. (The central Congo Government being fairly pro-soviet due to their anti-colonial stance(and Belgium being shits)):

This was of course illegal and had Hammarskjôld declared it such, the western companies would have had to withdraw them. Costing quite a few mercs a sweet payday and embarrassing the West. Possibly allowing the Congo government to nationalize the minning industry(worth billions even back in 1961). There are other issues, like the assassination of Patrice Lumumba(with CIA involvment), but this is the most obvious reason and also the easiest. Occams razor.

To make a point about how heavily the West was involved in the Congo Crisis, the secessionist had their own air force made up of 10-20 planes. Back in 60s africa that was a lot and it was completely run by western mercs. Pilot training and aircraft maintenance not being a priority of the Belgian Government. It was probably a plane from this group that did the dirty deed.

If you want a movie about it; The Siege of Jadotville is on Netflix and is a pretty good account of the conflict, if a bit focused obviously on the battle itself. Jaime Dornan stars. Seen it, would recommend.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
This discussion has been closed.