As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Stellaris] - Paradox does space strategy - Le Guin, Megacorps - DECEMBER 6th

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Are folks going to role play their species, or just going for make choices based whatever's most beneficial at any particular time?

I'm tempted to pick something that's not from the expansion, just to make sure we don't end up with 99% megacorps :D. Seeing as with the new changes, everything will be new enough for me as it is!

Edit: Oh man, that video is getting me hype!

Campy on
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    CORRECTION CORRECTION CORRECTION.

the 2.2 game will take place on Friday Dec 7.
    I've been saying Dec 6. Which is Thursday, tomorrow.

Download the 2.2 patch and Megacorp DLC tomorrow. We play on Friday Dec7.
    I'm gonna retroactive edit my previous posts.

What time Friday? Also I can link the discord I made again if you'd like

Now I need some help with the name of my first 2.2 faction. I want to call them the IWW, but I can't think of another W word to go with Interstellar Workers that makes sense. I could just call them like the IWG or IWC (Interstellar Workers of the Galaxy, Interstellar Workers of the Cosmos) etc. but I think it'd be more fun if I could preserve the name more faithfully.

The Dec 7 game starts at 4pm Pacific, 7pm eastern, 0am GMT.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Ah yeah that's exactly in the middle of my shift, so sadly I won't be able to make it.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Are folks going to role play their species, or just going for make choices based whatever's most beneficial at any particular time?

I'm tempted to pick something that's not from the expansion, just to make sure we don't end up with 99% megacorps :D. Seeing as with the new changes, everything will be new enough for me as it is!

Edit: Oh man, that video is getting me hype!

So far I think I'm the only one who actually wants to play a Megacorp, so no problems there. I will roleplay the First Church of Yondar, Reformed to whatever extent amuses me and doesn't annoy anyone else!

I think we can squeeze all of us and a few AIs into a Medium galaxy without much trouble? Maybe Large?

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Thanks for the Quill18 video, I was wondering if someone was gonna do a patch tutorial. I started watching Aspec play his Megacorp playthrough last night and I was thoroughly confused.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Yea, ive been hesitant on announcing galaxy settings until I know who is at the table on friday.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I am curious how long you guys plan on playing/if you plan on picking it up some other time. As mentioned before if you're going to play Saturday I might ask Ben if he could create a custom AI nation for me and set them to spawn.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    FIFTY MINUTES REMAIN.

Now, do i play a horde of very angry shrews, or shall the loveable mindnommers rise once more to preach tentacly benevolance and biomodding to everyone?

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    I vote for the forcible redistshrewbution of wealth.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    ...That is an amazing (Terrible) pun, and i may have to rework the Horde of Angry Shrews just to do that.

Their last iteration was fanatical purifiers, with planet names like "We Hate it Here", "We stole it and we still hate it" "Vaugley Acceptable" (it was a gaia world), "Way Too Hot" "Way Too Cold" "Too Small, Still Angry".

They were VERY angry shrews. (they also took out over a 3rd of the galaxy, so hey. That anger was productive, right?)

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    That is an incredible taxonomic system. The Naming of the Shrews.

EDIT: Also, it's 1201 EST. Where the fuck is my patch, Paradox?

Diplominator on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
  • Options
    That is an incredible taxonomic system. The Naming of the Shrews.

EDIT: Also, it's 1201 EST. Where the fuck is my patch, Paradox?

I mean, if you were a shrew (Which literally will starve to death in under an hour), wouldn't you be angry? Especially when you got into space and discovered that other people have things like "Can sleep for 8 hours AND ENJOY IT WITHOUT DYING"

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Okay, so I cracked this open and took a look at lunch.

Oh my. This is... quite overwhelming. It's largely a new game

I can't even figure out where I can see the resources generated by trade value.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Just a heads up GMG is selling Megacorp for 20% off.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018

Trade Value is converted to goodies according to your Trade Policy setting, under Policies.

E: It defaults, I think to 2 energy / TV.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    Auralynx wrote: »

Trade Value is converted to goodies according to your Trade Policy setting, under Policies.

Good to know. But it isn't reported in the energy income tooltip for the empire/planet, or any other income tooltips, which seems like an oversight.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I have no idea what's going on anymore.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options

Good to know. But it isn't reported in the energy income tooltip for the empire/planet, or any other income tooltips, which seems like an oversight.

Yeah, they're gonna be doing a lot of cleanup / clarification in the next couple of weeks, I suspect.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    The best thing about not working from home today is that the 1080 interface mod might be updated before I get home and try to start playing. :D

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    So I've noticed that the "Galactic Ascendancy" tradition, that turns you into, well, an Ascendant Empire is pretty cool....but it does have a few annoying features I'd never even considered.

First off, your city style changes to the corresponding Ascendant Empire building set because reasons. Also your ship set--though this is probably not so purely cosmetic because the game does introduce at least one new ship class that is only available to Ascendant Empires, I think.

Since both options are, frankly, ugly, anyone know of a mod that lets you change one or both of them?

• Options
    This is the official Q&D "how to read the planet screen" graphic.

R1hmGO0.jpg

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    So I've noticed that the "Galactic Ascendancy" tradition, that turns you into, well, an Ascendant Empire is pretty cool....but it does have a few annoying features I'd never even considered.

First off, your city style changes to the corresponding Ascendant Empire building set because reasons. Also your ship set--though this is probably not so purely cosmetic because the game does introduce at least one new ship class that is only available to Ascendant Empires, I think.

Since both options are, frankly, ugly, anyone know of a mod that lets you change one or both of them?

I’m sorry the what now? I don’t remember this in the dev diaries :O

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    This is the official Q&D "how to read the planet screen" graphic.

R1hmGO0.jpg

I thought this expansion was supposed to reduce micromanagement of planets.

Also I am not building a starbase just to slap down a trading hub, gdi. I can only have so many of those!

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    I mean, it does. You’re overwhelmed by new mechanics, but the new system is far less clicking than the old system.

They are however more important clicks

• Options
    Okay I think I'm grasping it

So districts are the first layer of production--housing for pops, and jobs that allow pops to produce basic resources (minerals, energy, food). Districts are limited by planet size (?)

Buildings are the next layer or two of production. They're directly limited by population, with new building slots opening as your planet population grows. They create jobs that allow pops to turn basic resources into advanced resources, or advanced resources into other advanced resources or functions

E.g., minerals are turned into alloys for ship building, or consumer goods to be consumed by scientists doing research, who (as we know) transform alcohol and streaming TV into research proposals

I'm not sure what population is limited by--housing doesn't seem like a hard limit, as housing can be exceeded by the population. I imagine this would slow growth down (as would other factors), but dealing with excess population is something you'll constantly grapple with as planets fill up? Maybe driving more immigration/expansion, which is really cool.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Okay I think I'm grasping it

So districts are the first layer of production--housing for pops, and jobs that allow pops to produce basic resources (minerals, energy, food). Districts are limited by planet size (?)

Buildings are the next layer or two of production. They're directly limited by population, with new building slots opening as your planet population grows. They create jobs that allow pops to turn basic resources into advanced resources, or advanced resources into other advanced resources or functions

E.g., minerals are turned into alloys for ship building, or consumer goods to be consumed by scientists doing research, who (as we know) transform alcohol and streaming TV into research proposals

I'm not sure what population is limited by--housing doesn't seem like a hard limit, as housing can be exceeded by the population. I imagine this would slow growth down (as would other factors), but dealing with excess population is something you'll constantly grapple with as planets fill up? Maybe driving more immigration/expansion, which is really cool.

Everything you've said there tallies with what I've gathered thus far. Districts are the baseline, and determined by the planet's features and size, as far as which are available.

I think population growth is impaired by available housing / jobs, but absolute pop is capped by planet size. You can have a ton of unemployed people and there are some civics / buildings that seem to if not reward that make it less of a problem, from what I understand.

A significant but not deterministic feature of population growth in 2.2 appears to be related to migration push and pull, as well.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »

I’m sorry the what now? I don’t remember this in the dev diaries :O

Sorry, this was a question about the general game, not something coming with the upcoming expansion.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Yeah that’s why I’m asking. Are you running mods? I don’t think Galactic Ascendancy is a thing normally and I was wondering if I’d missed something

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    Yeah that’s why I’m asking. Are you running mods? I don’t think Galactic Ascendancy is a thing normally and I was wondering if I’d missed something

Possibly this one?
    https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/899611868/1692662302106334341/

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I mean, it does. You’re overwhelmed by new mechanics, but the new system is far less clicking than the old system.

They are however more important clicks

You also now have a lot more choices of what to slap down onto your planets, which is a catch 22 because you kinda have less slots overall.

It's definitely a lot to take in. Tomorrow's game is going to be wild.

• Options
    edited December 2018

Oh, wow--I had never even thought of that. I thought for sure it was in the base game. Whoops, never mind then!

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I don't think I'm a fan of the two-tiered resource system. Having a ton of the base resources and being bottlenecked in creating consumer goods and alloys sucks. You can use the market to hobble through it, but that never feels great.

• Options
    I don't think I'm a fan of the two-tiered resource system. Having a ton of the base resources and being bottlenecked in creating consumer goods and alloys sucks. You can use the market to hobble through it, but that never feels great.

One thing I was noticing as I watched streams (and will try out tonight) is that it seemed like an effective plan was basically to sell off your stockpiles of minerals / energy and convert them to alloys / trade goods just to more-efficiently bank resources.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

I've read that you are more or less expected to replace non-city districts with city districts over time as your need for second tier resources (and the buildings that make them) outstrip your need for minerals.

Not the least of which because the "X world" descriptors in the planetary view aren't just flavor, they are actually bonuses earned for specializing your planets in one way or another.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Which, it must be said: IS AWESOME.

• Options
    Okay, decided to go with a ruthless megacorp. I'm also playing humans for the first time.

The United Google Conglomerate has as its home planet, of course, Google Earth.

• Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    Okay, decided to go with a ruthless megacorp. I'm also playing humans for the first time.

I feel like you missed your chance with Spacebook.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options

I feel like you missed your chance with Spacebook.

I can't recycle my jokes even in different contexts.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    So it's finally become a Paradox game then.