As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MCU] Captain Marvel tickets on sale now, less than 60 days to go.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It was 100% pretty good and is basically the establishing line for Tony in the MCU. Not just capable, but capable even in extreme adversity.

And important to remember and reference. Because as of the end of IW, Tony is currently stuck on what is metaphorically a giant cave with a giant box of scraps.

It's going to be highly predictable. But I'm betting after 10 minutes of him having a serious case of PTSD with Nebula trying to wrangle him down, it'll end with the following:

"You're a builder aren't you? Why don't you just build something?"
    "*deep breath* Okay."

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I think there will still be Stan Lee referances going forward. Nothing disrespectful, but small things like graffiti or a line of dialog or something along those lines.

Not that I need it, but it’s basically traditional at this point. Like the Whilhelm scream.

We'll likely see a proper cameo until at least Far From Home (principal photography wrapped in October, so unless he was too unhealthy at that point to shoot his cameo before then--entirely possible, of course--he likely did that one). It feels appropriate that his likely last on-screen appearance is going to be either Infinity War or a Spider-Man movie.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I like to pretend that the movie Weird Science is a soft prequel to Tony in the MCU.

Gary and Wyatt gave Tony his inspirational to create Jarvis and Friday and becoming a tech genius.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    I dont see any reason they would float a Homecoming 2 trailer this early.

There is absolutely zero to be gained from it, and tons to lose.

I bet we dont see a Spider Man HC2 trailer until slightly before (or even during) Infinity War 2

I could see only one reason to get the Far From Home trailer out now.

If Vincent D’Onofrio is in it.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Henchman: Sir, why are you suddenly interested in this Spider-person?

Kingpin: When I was a boy...

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Black Panther got nominated for Best Picture in the Golden Globes. And the music categories. Nothing else.

Which, sure, but I feel like if it should be nominated for anything it'd be Supporting Actor. Without Michael B Jordan's performance, we don't even have this conversation. Which, in my mind, almost kinda unmines the BP nomination? It feels obligatory based off of buzz instead of earned because of effort if the nominations don't actually seem to get why people felt the movie could be nominated.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    I dont see any reason they would float a Homecoming 2 trailer this early.

There is absolutely zero to be gained from it, and tons to lose.

I bet we dont see a Spider Man HC2 trailer until slightly before (or even during) Infinity War 2

I could see only one reason to get the Far From Home trailer out now.

If Vincent D’Onofrio is in it.

I mean, that's the only good reason.

Between Captain Marvel trailer 2 and the Avengers 4 trailer and namedrop, Sony might just want to glom on for the extra sheen. Especially since early box-office predictions for Into the Spider-Verse (never mind the currently 100% fresh critic rating with 60+ reviews on RT) predict a 30-40 million opening weekend in the US and Canada. (On the other hand, the budget is a relatively small 90 million).

Shadowen on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    When is the A4 trailer coming?

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    When is the A4 trailer coming?

Word is it's coming out on Friday. Haven't seen anything about an exact time, but 'late morning or early afternoon EST' seems like a fairly safe bet unless it's attached to a particular show.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    I remain extremely skeptical of a teaser being released for Avengers this month. Prove me wrong, Marvel!

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    It was 100% pretty good and is basically the establishing line for Tony in the MCU. Not just capable, but capable even in extreme adversity.

And important to remember and reference. Because as of the end of IW, Tony is currently stuck on what is metaphorically a giant cave with a giant box of scraps.

It's going to be highly predictable. But I'm betting after 10 minutes of him having a serious case of PTSD with Nebula trying to wrangle him down, it'll end with the following:

"*deep breath* Okay."

What about Nebula's ship?

• Options
    Infinity Gauntlet Spoilers
    I want Nebula to get the gauntlet.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

And then what?

• Options

And then what?
    She undoes everything.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

"*deep breath* Okay."

What about Nebula's ship?

Some scrap is more useful than others.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I like the idea of Nebula
    reverting herself back to a pre cybernetic version.

• Options
    I like the idea of Nebula
    reverting herself back to a pre cybernetic version.

I honestly expect that to happen. Given the arc of the movies Nebula has been in, and given the original story from the 90s.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The thing about Nebula
    Is she's a much different character in the comics.

In the movie she's an adopted daugther of Thanos, who hates her dad and even made up with her sister. If she took the Gauntlet, it'd likely be to stop Thanos and fix things like bringing Gamora back.

In the comics she's just a two-bit criminal with a habit of saying she's related to big, infamous badguys. When Thanos finds out, he burns her alive and leaves her as a half-alive zombie thing, but gives her just enough awareness that allows her to steal the Gauntlet at an opportune moment, at which point she becomes and even bigger threat than Thanos since she has all the power, but far less control over it.
    They do manage to trick her into restoring everything pre-Thanos, but she doesn't do it for anyone's benefit but her own.

• Options
    The thing about Nebula
    Is she's a much different character in the comics.

In the movie she's an adopted daugther of Thanos, who hates her dad and even made up with her sister. If she took the Gauntlet, it'd likely be to stop Thanos and fix things like bringing Gamora back.

In the comics she's just a two-bit criminal with a habit of saying she's related to big, infamous badguys. When Thanos finds out, he burns her alive and leaves her as a half-alive zombie thing, but gives her just enough awareness that allows her to steal the Gauntlet at an opportune moment, at which point she becomes and even bigger threat than Thanos since she has all the power, but far less control over it.
    They do manage to trick her into restoring everything pre-Thanos, but she doesn't do it for anyone's benefit but her own.

Still, though:

DtxgqEWU8AETSSk.jpg:large

It could be SO COOL!

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Henchman: Sir, why are you suddenly interested in this Spider-person?

Kingpin: When I was a boy...

...This city is mired in the past... ensnared in cobwebs of its own decay. And it has... birthed... this pest... this vermin that feeds on the muck. And he has snared this city, tethered it to him. I will burn away the ruins of this city... and its webs... so that it can be rebuilt from the ashes.

• Options
    dylmandylman Registered User regular
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

"*deep breath* Okay."

Maybe it got crumped in the fight, but the Milano should be right there.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's more than I thought would be in it, but not much more. Nice to know what the frigging thing will be called at last, and I am absolutely looking forward to Paul Rudd undercutting moments of portentous melancholy with awkward doofusness.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Trying to pick out that title in this image, actually kinda works. Thanks, pareidolia!

https://mobile.twitter.com/Russo_Brothers/status/1042411495072645120

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I laughed more at the first glance Thanos ('s armor) T-Posing his victory royale than the Ant-Man bit at the end.

I did like seeing Ronin, that was classy but portends bad things for the Burton family yonsooth hereafter hencewith.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I interpreted that as farmer Thanos using his armor as a scarecrow.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »

Yes that's what it was, but it looked like a T-Pose.

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    I mean, it doesn't show much but it gave me goosebumps, so good job Marvel. Pumped as fuck.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    ...huh, just realised that's weird
    that the Iron Man helmet could be disconnected. This is still the nano suit, so it's made of the thing in his chest. That's causing some glitch in my sleepy head, that a piece of the suit can be removed from the mass of goo that builds it, and record a message and hold it intact forever, rather than falling apart when it runs out of juice.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    I mean, it doesn't show much but it gave me goosebumps, so good job Marvel. Pumped as fuck.

It's a great trailer. It shows where these characters are mentally after the last film, without giving much hint of what the movie is going to actually be about.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I love the idea that the fate of the universe hinges on Scott Lang's dumb, lovable ass rolling up to the Avengers' house in his goofy van.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Captain Marvel in March, Avengers in April. That's a pretty tight schedule.

• Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    If they were just going to call it that, which is a fairly obvious choice, why'd they have to wait so long on releasing the title? Maybe they legitimately hadn't decided...?

I like that this felt like a trailer and not a synopsis of the movie. Interesting that it basically showed no action whatsoever.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

This has been bothering me since we saw the scarecrow at the end of Infinity War, 'cause he dropped his armor on Thor's ship which then blew up.

I mean, I assume he has multiples, but why'd he go get a spare just to hang it up?

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    OremLK wrote: »
    If they were just going to call it that, which is a fairly obvious choice, why'd they have to wait so long on releasing the title? Maybe they legitimately hadn't decided...?

I like that this felt like a trailer and not a synopsis of the movie. Interesting that it basically showed no action whatsoever.

It’s potentially a hint about the plot

Like very minimally spoiler but really also a great way to string out hype

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

This has been bothering me since we saw the scarecrow at the end of Infinity War, 'cause he dropped his armor on Thor's ship which then blew up.

I mean, I assume he has multiples, but why'd he go get a spare just to hang it up?

The symbolism is worth the inconsistency. Swords into plowshares, and all.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Captain Marvel in March, Avengers in April. That's a pretty tight schedule.

Yeah. Gonna have to drag my old-man ass to the movies two months in a row. Hopefully I'm not too busy at work :P

This discussion has been closed.