As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Stellaris] - Paradox does space strategy - Le Guin, Megacorps - DECEMBER 6th

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Okay, let's see how the Ben-Tark Planning Authority do as test-cases for learning the new economy.

Survivor / Byzantine Bureaucracy should potentially let me pack a lot of reptiles / robots into a solid range of planets.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Playing some on new patch I had forgotten how incredibly influence starved gestalt empires are these days.

Might just end up playing your neighbourhood friendly drug recreational substance salesperson empire.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Okay, decided to go with a ruthless megacorp. I'm also playing humans for the first time.

The United Google Conglomerate has as its home planet, of course, Google Earth.

I think the obvious direction will be Amazon Incorporated. Humanity's home system will of course have been renamed Amazon by this point, with the home planet of course being... Amazon Prime.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I'm playing Space Orcs.

Communist Space Orcs.

Communist Space Orcs that really like all the other races in the galaxy. Which means that, yes, they are xeno-compatible already. Now to complete the biological ascension path and I'll engineer several different kinds of super-beings. That are, of course, still equal to everyone else.

Also, in keeping with the Space Fantasy theme I got going, the Megacorp I designed is Dragon Hoard Inc. They may not be the friendliest corporation out there, but at least they're honest about their intentions.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    time to see if An Abyssal Dream can stand the test of a new economy system

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I got the horizon signal on like my sixth or seventh system on this playthrough. Is that something that only spawns for Spiritual Races, because I've never seen it before.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    nah I've gotten it on non-spiritualists

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    nah I've gotten it on non-spiritualists

I should rephrase that as "Does it only happen if you're non-materialist"

• Options
    It can spawn for anyone, it's just a rare event in general.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    ... and I'm next door to a Fanatic Pacifist criminal megacorp that can out-expand me by a huge degree. Interesting!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Who was talking about the "UI Overhaul 1080p plus" mod?

Yes, those guys were on top of it. its ready for Megacorp.
    The only other people ready for Megacorp was the guys who did "Stellaris Music Expansion Pack"

everything else is redlined, naturally.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I'm wondering if my first megacorp should be Tentatek or one of the CorpoNations

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    oh what the fuck... my cyborgs eat food now. god dammit... I gotta completely relearn how to play assimilators.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Looks like you can see Wormhole pathing once you discover the tech but before you've technically explored them now, which will probably get corrected shortly.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Looks like you can see Wormhole pathing once you discover the tech but before you've technically explored them now, which will probably get corrected shortly.

I had a science ship auto-explore its way through one with having explored it first.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    oh what the fuck... my cyborgs eat food now. god dammit... I gotta completely relearn how to play assimilators.

Well I mean, cyborgs should need some kind of input. Even Robocop needed to eat baby food.

• Options

I had a science ship auto-explore its way through one with having explored it first.

Yeah, it's showing me pathing through them now.

Also, wow, Domination is decidedly not useless now.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options

"Where does this wormhole lead? Do we even know if it's stable? Should we send a probe in first?"

"Fuck it, full speed ahead!"

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    It worked out so well for Farscape though!

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    So how do you terraform inhabited planets now? I am not seeing the button.

nvm, found it. The button is tiny now

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Well, first attempt left me wildly over-producing consumer goods after discovering Fen Habbanis but otherwise doing okay. Trying out my tweaked Exalted Priesthood guys and that's going more smoothly.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    It's a bit more difficult to adjust your economy now. I need more consumer goods production, but I can't just move a pop from a +energy tile to a +goods tile. I need to build certain buildings to create the right jobs, and then wait for the population to increase to fill the jobs. I'm not complaining, it's probably an improvement, but I'm having a bit of a difficult adjustment period.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    It's a bit more difficult to adjust your economy now. I need more consumer goods production, but I can't just move a pop from a +energy tile to a +goods tile. I need to build certain buildings to create the right jobs, and then wait for the population to increase to fill the jobs. I'm not complaining, it's probably an improvement, but I'm having a bit of a difficult adjustment period.

I think you can prioritize certain jobs over others, though not being home I couldn't tell you exactly how.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Its official. I now require spreadsheets to know where all my widgets are coming and going to.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Can some explain how sectors work now?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Can some explain how sectors work now?

I believe clusters of stars get grouped into sectors and any colony you found gets put in the appropriate sector.

Each sector needs/can have its own governor for the bonuses, but on the whole, 'sectors' aren't actually any different from anywhere else until you decide to automate them.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Do sectors make any difference with regards to trade and it having to go back to your capital to turn into actual profit?

• Options

I think you can prioritize certain jobs over others, though not being home I couldn't tell you exactly how.

On the Population screen, individually by colony.
    Campy wrote: »
    Do sectors make any difference with regards to trade and it having to go back to your capital to turn into actual profit?

Not that I've noticed so far!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    First League Homeworld
    Apparently can spawn with a free Ecumenopolis in it.

Noice.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    First League Homeworld

Noice.
    Even better, it's a fully functional Ecumenopolis even if you don't have Megacorp.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Foefaller wrote: »
    First League Homeworld

Noice.
    Even better, it's a fully functional Ecumenopolis even if you don't have Megacorp.
    It's, uh, not quite fully functional. There are a bunch of Ruined Arcology blockers you have to clear - got it in my Byzantine Bureaucracy game. It's thrown my whole economic plan out the window - the districts provide fancy resource production jobs, so now I don't need to be doing them on my other planets quite as badly and am phasing those buildings out, pushing yet-harder on the trend that establishes itself as you upgrade buildings.

E: Also, just to get it out of my system, in-space collection and on-planet-via-job collection of Motes / Crystals / Gases being on different techs is a really annoying split if you don't have access to a bunch of Research Alternatives to make fishing out what you want more likely. Plus side, I think between that and the Admin Cap technologies they've successfully increased which scientist specializations are useful.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Foefaller wrote: »
    First League Homeworld

Noice.
    It's, uh, not quite fully functional. There are a bunch of Ruined Arcology blockers you have to clear - got it in my Byzantine Bureaucracy game. It's thrown my whole economic plan out the window - the districts provide fancy resource production jobs, so now I don't need to be doing them on my other planets quite as badly and am phasing those buildings out, pushing yet-harder on the trend that establishes itself as you upgrade buildings.

E: Also, just to get it out of my system, in-space collection and on-planet-via-job collection of Motes / Crystals / Gases being on different techs is a really annoying split if you don't have access to a bunch of Research Alternatives to make fishing out what you want more likely. Plus side, I think between that and the Admin Cap technologies they've successfully increased which scientist specializations are useful.
    Meant fully functional in a "it's not just a normal massive planet with a fancy city world look if you don't have Megacorp" way

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

The market is the go-to system for plugging holes in your economy now. There is a lot more trading surpluses and running in the red in other commodities.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    The very first thing I did when I booted up Megacorp was to make the Church of Scientology. It is, of course, a subversive cult. They are charismatic and conformist.

This patch is great, having some good fun with it. I like the economy changes.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Having surveyed the Stellaris forums, the two currently playable options that aren't working very well appear to be Machine Empires (actively being looked at because their starts are real weird in terms of initial job distribution and resource use, according to Wiz) and Criminal Megacorps, because the AI loses its mind and spams police all over if you're even near them as one.

I was able to control the AI criminals reasonably well - in spite of a Governor with a trait that increased crime, even! - with only one non-upgraded police building per colony they were trying to Branch Office. Might be a good idea to let that one wait if it was something you wanted to try.

I've noticed a couple oddities with the Authoritarian faction's approval rating for keeping your people properly Stratified which seem to relate to robots and / or gene-modding, myself, but so far everything pretty much works.

There's also a bug with Observation Posts not producing research til you save and reload the game, it seems?

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Having surveyed the Stellaris forums, the two currently playable options that aren't working very well appear to be Machine Empires (actively being looked at because their starts are real weird in terms of initial job distribution and resource use, according to Wiz) and Criminal Megacorps, because the AI loses its mind and spams police all over if you're even near them as one.

I was able to control the AI criminals reasonably well - in spite of a Governor with a trait that increased crime, even! - with only one non-upgraded police building per colony they were trying to Branch Office. Might be a good idea to let that one wait if it was something you wanted to try.

I've noticed a couple oddities with the Authoritarian faction's approval rating for keeping your people properly Stratified which seem to relate to robots and / or gene-modding, myself, but so far everything pretty much works.

There's also a bug with Observation Posts not producing research til you save and reload the game, it seems?

I'm playing as a Federation-type bunch of xenophile do-gooders, and my best buddy is the neighboring criminal empire. The dialogue is hilarious, "We have decided to trust you. More importantly, we have decided to be trustworthy. This is surprising to us, as well."

• Options

I'm playing as a Federation-type bunch of xenophile do-gooders, and my best buddy is the neighboring criminal empire. The dialogue is hilarious, "We have decided to trust you. More importantly, we have decided to be trustworthy. This is surprising to us, as well."

Yeah, I ended up friends with the criminals because it turns out the southern part of the galaxy is populated by jerks and I had a lot of room to expand in the other direction if I wanted to.

Regular empires seem to be pretty able to shrug off going over-cap up to about double if things are going well on your core planets, so far. It's irritating fishing for the cap booster techs, though.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    @NotoriusBEN

I'm real sorry, but I'm going to have to back out for tonight. I was just informed that I have to do an installation for work this evening and I am not pleased about this.

• Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    Of course my first game as a megacorp began with me being boxed in by isolationist jerks who refused to make commerce agreements with me.

Have to say I already really like the new planet system. The tiles were cool, I honestly liked them a lot but they were so tedious to manage if you grew past like three planets.

Also the long-lived authoritarian blue-skinned space elves I designed actually out-populated their syncretic servants for freaking once. The AI never managed to do that with the old pops system, it always ended with like three times as many slow-breeding servile birds who inevitably rebelled and took over. So that's nice.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Of course my first game as a megacorp began with me being boxed in by isolationist jerks who refused to make commerce agreements with me.

Same issue. My neighbors are a hive mind, another megacorp, and a xenophobic empire.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.