As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Keyforge: The Age of Ascension is upon us!

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    My LGS is having a Keyforge sealed event this Saturday. Any tips and/or tricks on playing well?

It's a race, not a fight. Playing out as much of your hand as possible is often a much better idea than holding on to cards. But also don't underestimate the power of just reaping with everything if you have 3+ guys of the same house out and ready and the other guy doesn't.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    My LGS is having a Keyforge sealed event this Saturday. Any tips and/or tricks on playing well?

It's a race, not a fight. Playing out as much of your hand as possible is often a much better idea than holding on to cards. But also don't underestimate the power of just reaping with everything if you have 3+ guys of the same house out and ready and the other guy doesn't.

This is a really good way to put it.

Also if a card in the house you called isn't immediately useful, it's generally a better idea to just discard it (unless you need to hold it to prevent your opponent from winning later on). You're better off cycling the card out of your hand to get a better draw and you can usually go through your whole deck to get that card back if you're playing/discarding enough.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Bait and Switch is a good example of a card to keep.

Played a game last night, opponent stole all my amber and ended up at 11. Bait and Switch, it's now 6-5 my favor and threatening my last key.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Played this evening with some friends from work, our bi-weekly/monthly (depending on schedule) D&D session was cancelled to our DM's child being ill. I had my 3 decks with me, one of my friend had his deck, other friend hadn't bought any yet, but was interested and last friend had forgotten his decks. So we played some matches. One of my 3 decks clearly overpowered all others (Sanctum/Dis/Logos, it had some good synergies and lots of powerful creatures and tricky abilities). One of my other decks was pretty weak (Dis/Brobnar/Mars), mostly because it had lots of Mars cards that depended on the number of Mars creatures you had, but only 2 Mars creatures in it. My friend's deck was pretty powerful, mostly due to Pocket Universe and the limited options for artifact removal of the other decks.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    How is pocket universe the thing that made you're friends deck powerful? It lets you stash Amber on it so it can't get stolen, but it leaves the stashed Amber open to getting lost through artifact removal instead...

• timhodgetimhodge AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Insufficient options for artifact removal is a complaint I've heard from a lot of players.

0877-0596-8498 | Swirlix, Dedenne, Floette
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    How is pocket universe the thing that made you're friends deck powerful? It lets you stash Amber on it so it can't get stolen, but it leaves the stashed Amber open to getting lost through artifact removal instead...
    My friend's deck was pretty powerful, mostly due to Pocket Universe and the limited options for artifact removal of the other decks.

I get that you couldn't get rid of it, but I don't see how generally someone being able to protect an Amber or two from getting stolen is a big power move is all...

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I get that you couldn't get rid of it, but I don't see how generally someone being able to protect an Amber or two from getting stolen is a big power move is all...

Played a deck at PAXU that probably stole about 25 amber from me through the course of the game. Protecting it instead would have been nice.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited December 2018
    Being able to protect Amber is great. pocket universe: if you call logos, as an action you can exhaust p.u. and stash one Amber on it. I'm not saying it's a bad card or that protecting Amber is bad, I'm just wondering why he called it out specifically as the card that made a particular deck very powerful as it's not a very powerful effect in my personal experience (I've got a couple decks with it in there).

Ah_Pook on
  • DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Being able to protect Amber is great. pocket universe: if you call logos, as an action you can exhaust p.u. and stash one Amber on it. I'm not saying it's a bad card or that protecting Amber is bad, I'm just wondering why he called it out specifically as the card that made a particular deck very powerful as it's not a very powerful effect in my personal experience (I've got a couple decks with it in there).

Bottom line is that if you lose due to pocket universe than you are not racing your deck fast enough. Pocket universe can only be activated on a logos turn. The smart play is to keep that amber on pocket universe to use it to forge your last key.
    This is increasingly difficult because you must forge a key when you have 6 amber.

steam_sig.png

Bottom line is that if you lose due to pocket universe than you are not racing your deck fast enough. Pocket universe can only be activated on a logos turn. The smart play is to keep that amber on pocket universe to use it to forge your last key.
    This is increasingly difficult because you must forge a key when you have 6 amber.

Using pocket universe to forge is optional. The forced forge step only talks about spending amber from your pool and the card say 'You may spend amber on Pocket Universe when forging keys.' So you can save it if you want.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • LubonyLubony Registered User regular
    The only time have ever seen someone use pocket galaxy i snekliftered it with 4 amber sitting on it. They rage quit the game : ( .

No rules or morals except those you choose to accept and live by.
    Yea pocket universe ends real badly if you try to push it, in my experience. If you know your opponents deck doesn't have any artifact removal of any kind it might be shenaniganable, but it seems like a lot of work for questionable gain even in that case.

• EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    First, I'd like to shamelessly plug again that if you're in the Central Illinois area there is a Keyforge sealed event at 2pm tomorrow at Titan Games in Springfield, IL.

Second, I've been thinking about what possible properties could be turned into a unique deck game like Keyforge and I came up with this.

Apologies for long idea rambling.

A Star Trek unique deck game -
    1) The first idea for it is simpler and closer to Keyforge in design but requires a long-winded explanation of why it would be so interesting.

Basically, instead of your own unique Archon you'd have your own uniquely named ship from one of the various Star Trek factions and instead of houses you'd have your own unique set of three crew members representing the various command positions on a star ship. Captain, Chief Engineer, Doctor, and so on. Your deck would be comprised of cards themed to the faction your ship is from and assigned to each of your three crew members based on how that card's mechanics fit with the role of that crew member. A Captain would have stuff like "Go to Red Alert" or "Engage!", a Chief Engineer would have stuff like "Reroute Power to Shields", a Doctor would have "Tricorder" etc. Win conditions would be Diplomatic or Military with each faction leaning towards one or the other depending upon how that faction would act in the show.

Instead of Maverick cards, you have a much wider range of options. You of course could have faction shifted cards where say maybe you have a Star Fleet Federation deck where the Captain randomly has access to a Bat'leth, but then you can go even further and instead have a deck where one of your crew members is replaced by a crew member from an entirely different faction. Now instead of a single card in your SFF deck being a klingon card, one-third of your whole deck is replaced with Klingon Empire cards. You could also have Mirror Universe/Alternate Timeline decks where instead of a Federation deck you end up with a Mirror Universe Terran Empire deck. You could have random 'Q' cards appear in your deck as one-ofs that have powerful effects on the game state but require using your whole turn to play representing times in the show where Q pops up and the whole episode either revolves around him or basically comes to a stop to address his appearance.

2) The second idea is opposite of the first in that it's much simpler to explain but would probably be much more difficult to design.

Each deck you buy is it's own unique algorithmically generated episode, with a protagonist deck and an antagonist deck each assigned a generic win condition based on on the cards in that deck. Say you get Picard v. The Borg where Picard's win condition is to successfully last so many turns in the game and The Borg's win condition is to capture the protagonist. That way right out the box you have your own unique playable episode for say $20-$25 that you can either play solo or play with a friend by alternating who plays as the protagonist and who plays as the antagonist. Competitive play would be like sort of like Netrunner, where you'd bring your favorite episode with both the protagonist and antagonist deck assigned to it to the tournament and you'd play the protagonist of your episode against the antagonist of your opponent's episode and vice versa.

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
    edited December 2018
    Friend of a friend opened this deck
    https://imgur.com/M7jDuOj
    It's Trumpets.

Those first Sanctum cards though...

Dizzy D on
    edited December 2018
    I played: https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/7f504399-982b-4e36-8866-d714f60b5e1f
    against: https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/0a41ed96-3c68-44d8-b70b-8a49a5c23d83
    today (both decks are mine). Last week, we played the same decks, but reversed. I had a strong start last week with Valeria, but fizzled out toward the end (my downfall was activating Untamed to clear 5 stuns from Blinding Light, but not having much else to do that turn, and so bled out slowly).

This week, we swapped decks and it was a much different story. By turn 3 my opponent had a key forged through Hunting Witch, Pawn Sacrifice, and Bad Penny shenanigans (she had 2 Pawn Sacrifice)! So the creatures I put out were immediately dealt with, and I was down a key. After that, I cleared the board twice, and just couldn't get any footing to deal with her amber generation. By the end, I was still a couple turns from drawing my Lash, and I lost 3 keys to 0.

crimsoncoyote on
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    So a couple of questions...
    Their attack power is their health, but it's seperate like in Hearthstone? So if I give my 5/5 guy blood of titans he is now 10/10? All it says it raises attack power by +5. But what if I give it to him when he has 3 HP left? Is he now 8/10?

Also Mushroom man says he gains +3 per unforged key I have. He starts at 2/2 does that mean hes 11/11 on turn 1? What happens if I forge my second key when he has 3HP left, does he auto die?

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
    edited December 2018
    It says "This creature gets +5 power". That's distinct from "+5 damage".

Mushroom Man's effect is ongoing, not when it's played. I believe the intent here is that you remove 3 power as you forge each key. To answer your question, yes.

crimsoncoyote on
    Basically, if a creature has damage equal to or greater than its power, it is destroyed. There's really no concept of "Attack power" or HP at all in KeyForge.

• WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    Mushroom man had me very confused in my first opening hand, haha.

Also a silly question about chains! Would you lose a chain in place of drawing a card in each instance of card draw?
    Like if your creature has "Action: Draw a card", would you draw no cards and lose one chain?

Witchsight.png

Ultimately, yeah
    Witchsight wrote: »

Also a silly question about chains! Would you lose a chain in place of drawing a card in each instance of card draw?
    Like if your creature has "Action: Draw a card", would you draw no cards and lose one chain?

No. Chains only affect the end of turn draw.

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Basically, if a creature has damage equal to or greater than its power, it is destroyed. There's really no concept of "Attack power" or HP at all in KeyForge.

Ok so if a creature at 5 power had 4 damage counters and I give him blood of titans he would be at 10 power but would need 6 more damage counters on him to kill him right? And Mushroom man would have 5 power when I forge my second key then. If he had any damage counters on him that exceeds 5 or more he'd die?

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Yes if they increase their power they can take more damage.

Ok so if a creature at 5 power had 4 damage counters and I give him blood of titans he would be at 10 power but would need 6 more damage counters on him to kill him right? And Mushroom man would have 5 power when I forge my second key then. If he had any damage counters on him that exceeds 5 or more he'd die?

Yes and yes.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited December 2018
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Ultimately, yeah
    Witchsight wrote: »

No. Chains only affect the end of turn draw.

Also note that if you somehow have 6 cards in your hand (e.g. earlier card draw, etc), you wouldn't shed a chain because you wouldn't be eligible to draw any cards at the end of your turn.

crimsoncoyote on
  • WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    That kind of puts Logos in a powerful position... They seem to have the easiest access to additional card draw during your turn, which isn't effected by chains.
    But the houses whose only chance to draw cards is at the end of their turns are penalized with chains?

Witchsight.png
    It's only powerful if you can draw well past your normal hand size. Just seeing the new cards sooner only helps if they're Logos, and 2/3 won't be.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Hooray! My FLGS has started a Tuesday Constructed Deck tournament to go with the Saturday Sealed Deck tourney. And I tied for first in the constructed deck, which gave me a new sealed deck that I can use on Saturday instead of buying a new one.

Charismatiaclly Nocturnal Umberto played pretty well!
    https://burgertokens.com/pages/keyforge-deck-analyzer?deck=MICwhgTglgzgtmALlAxmANugngAgHID2KiArhAHYY4CqcARgKYSIEA+AIrKwLKQysBlcABMCAd34BWSa2myA7LICcrAGwr5ARlbyAzKwAcAJlZLVp82daaADNs2qb1x8-uqTmrdfmLNBg9ZK+ppBrEY2ACxhNorhAUaq8fIyRgbaqeZGVrp2rDn6OTKFeTZFmlG65UA

Unfortunately my last opponent had figured out how to use his control deck to great advantage and Umberto was quickly stymied. But still, free deck!

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Oh wow

admanb wrote: »

Worse, you don't need to expose any of the pieces on the board before doing it! That's disgusting.

And the Sanctum and Shadow sets aren't bad either.

It makes the adaptive format really interesting. How many chains do you bid in game 3?

• LubonyLubony Registered User regular

Worse, you don't need to expose any of the pieces on the board before doing it! That's disgusting.

Yeah that decks brutal, you better have alot of board wipes to deal with the sanctum wall and shadow selks that are going up. plus 3 ghostly hands, ghostly hands is one of my personal favorite card, setting up a 3 amber swing is always great. PLus mind barbs and subtle maul for hittign there hand. Brutal.

No rules or morals except those you choose to accept and live by.
    Ringo wrote: »
    You guys are making me very excited to check this out

I made this post one month ago

I now own eleven decks

....punchline?

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    I went to go grab a deck today.

They were out.

Bullet dodged?
    I filled out a preorder card for another deck...

At least I'll get 10% off??????

• FremFrem Registered User regular

Wait, so if you use Control the Weak to say that your opponent must play a house, and then use Restringuntus to ban the use of that house on their next turn, what happens? Do they lose because they can't do anything? Or do they just skip a turn because Control the Weak only lasts one turn?

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Frem wrote: »

Wait, so if you use Control the Weak to say that your opponent must play a house, and then use Restringuntus to ban the use of that house on their next turn, what happens? Do they lose because they can't do anything? Or do they just skip a turn because Control the Weak only lasts one turn?

They skip the turn, but if you also play Maverick Witch you pick CtW back up next turn and play it again. Repeat until win.

admanb on
  • bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »

Pretty sure they just lose one turn.

akirasig.jpg
    Just ran into Witch of the Eye/Dust Pixie/Nature's Call

The only chance I had to beat it was if I discarded creatures instead of playing them until I had 3+ creatures in one house or some other form of damage to kill the witch, but I didn't realize that at the time

Edcrab's Exigency RPG