As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    i wanna see that commercial play during the super bowl strictly as is

As if videogames need to be more vilified.

I don't think games as a whole are any more, really? I'm pretty fine with vilifying that type of game, though

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Dirty wrote: »
    Every time they announce a new batch of NES games, I wonder "when are they adding some good ones?" Then I remember it's the NES. None of them are good ones.

Why do you have such horrible opinions about certain stuff?

I was actually going to say that if you have never played it, play Adventures of Lolo. It is a pretty fantastic puzzle game. Also Ninja Gaiden if you are into Masochism. :P

The birds...oh god the BIRDS!! :bigfrown:

That's dirty just being dirty.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Xeno 2 adds in stuff slowly over time, but you have all the core mechanics pretty fast. There's one later mechanic you don't get for a bit longer, but even then you've got everything you need before the 1/4th mark.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Xeno 2 adds in stuff slowly over time, but you have all the core mechanics pretty fast. There's one later mechanic you don't get for a bit longer, but even then you've got everything you need before the 1/4th mark.

I donno man. Am I misremembering things, or do you not get driver combos until you get to Uraya? That's Chapter 3 or so? I guess that's the 1/4 mark, but it's also about 15-20 hours into the game. And they're a pretty major mechanic that makes combat more interesting.

Then again, that's me playing rpgs like I usually do, compulsively doing everything it looks like I can do. You're probably best served tearing ass through the main plot until you get to Uraya so you have the majority of the mechanics unlocked.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    Tcheldor wrote: »

I donno man. Am I misremembering things, or do you not get driver combos until you get to Uraya? That's Chapter 3 or so? I guess that's the 1/4 mark, but it's also about 15-20 hours into the game. And they're a pretty major mechanic that makes combat more interesting.

Then again, that's me playing rpgs like I usually do, compulsively doing everything it looks like I can do. You're probably best served tearing ass through the main plot until you get to Uraya so you have the majority of the mechanics unlocked.

It doesn't do the tutorial for them until Uraya, but you can start doing them as soon as you get Nia.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    iirc it takes quite a long time to get everything available for Poppi as well(both the spoilery and non-spoilery stuff). Not the least of which being how godawful slow Tiger! Tiger! is at making new parts accessible.

And let's not forget about everyone's favorite adorable grind-pit Ursula.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    You might not be able to do chain combos before Uraya. But you can do all the other combo stuff that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Hmm, I've seen several sources indicate the game can be beaten in about 40 hours. Do all these numbers in this thread assume a healthy appetite for sidequests?

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    RE: Xenoblade 2 - It should be noted that, except for the introductory stuff (basically from the title screen to Rex getting his butt to Gormott), the game doesn't feel like it's stuck in a tutorial. You're walking around in large zones, killing enemies, and engaging in quests, just like with the bulk of the rest of the gameplay.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Septus wrote: »
    Hmm, I've seen several sources indicate the game can be beaten in about 40 hours. Do all these numbers in this thread assume a healthy appetite for sidequests?

If you do minimal to no sidequests, 40 hours sounds about right.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    I love Xenoblade 2 a whole lot but there is nothing about that game that strikes me as "Everyone will enjoy it!" It's a niche game and I am that niche and that's cool.

Also, I desperately want to give Pyra a pair of pants. She deserves better.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

I would be shocked to see it beaten in 40 hours unless you were following a guide the entire way.

I will say that anyone interested in playing should get to the point where they say to themselves “god, these fights are taking forever” and stop right there and watch some YouTube videos on the combat system. There are a lot of things that are mentioned once in a tutorial and never gone back to.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    I love Xenoblade 2 a whole lot but there is nothing about that game that strikes me as "Everyone will enjoy it!" It's a niche game and I am that niche and that's cool.

Also, I desperately want to give Pyra a pair of pants. She deserves better.

Great news! They ported the Smash costume into XB2 so pants are an option!
    Well, for Mithra

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

If you do minimal to no sidequests, 40 hours sounds about right.

If you understand the combat system well, you can beat the game in that time frame or faster without side quests. I'd say you're likely to take longer.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    I probably did a small to medium amount of sidequests in XC2 and it still took me ~80 hours to beat.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    If you have a Japanese account, the Dragon Quest Builders 2 demo is up on the Japanese eShop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi8-8St7yH4

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    If anyone from the last page is looking for Pikmin thoughts I've played all three.

Pikmin 1 was amazing. The way the game introduced you to things and opened up level wise, over time was perfect.

Pikmin 2 was an amazing perfection on a formula that I didn't think could get better. It may have started to overcomplicate things with different kinds of Pikmin and swappable main characters, but it still was great. Going into randomly generated caves was actually a lot more fun than it sounds, and stopping the days from moving was an intresting way of reeling in the hectic structure of the series, while maintaining the danger.

3 was good but it didn't advance the series as I was hoping it would. It was nice to get to see the franchise in HD but I found it not quite as inspired as the previous 2. This was the first Pikmin game where it felt like it was treading water. Also I found the last "level" / boss to be a complete let down. I hated it. Left a bad taste in my mouth, when I was already kinda let down already.

Hoping not for a port of 3, but a return to roots for a brand new 4. A man can dream OK?

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I have a pun that can only be wielded today, very short expiration date so I have to use it up now

Katomorrow Damacy!

pIGTDUQ.png

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    HYPE! One of my favourite developers, Simogo, have previously done games exclusively for iOS, which sucks since I don't have any such device.

Now, a while back they stated that they were done with mobile games, and were working with consoles.

They have been tweeting quite alot about the game award, and a few hours back they tweeted an picture of scatman joe as an amiibo.

Simogo switch game announcement incoming!

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Man, I loved Section Z as a kid. It was a weird auto-scroll shooter by Capcom, based on the arcade game of the same name. B shot left, A shot right, and pressing them together summoned your sub-weapon (which used up energy dropped by enemies).

Each level you'd fight through waves of enemies, turrets, and so forth. The level ended with two transporters (top or bottom) that warped you to the next numbered "section". Eventually, you'd find a red transporter that killed you if you tried to enter it. It would unlock after defeating the first area's boss. There were 3 total areas with each getting far more difficult. Making things worse, the sections were all interconnected and you had no map. For example:

At the end of sec 1, you could go up to sec 2 or down to sec 3. Sec 2 would lead to 5 or back to 1. It can get pretty messy if you don't take notes.

I'd love for them to bring it back, but Capcom hasn't touched the IP since the NES/Arcade days, so I'm not holding my breath. Still a great game if you're looking for a challenge. It certainly doesn't pull any punches, even in the first area. Here's some gameplay if you're interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAk-k0h6hi0

And bonus comparison to the arcade version (which was far more linear):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3zW6FEZ_Tw

Timely:

https://youtu.be/aPljIydOWOk

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    I'm not an "all digital" guy, I still prefer getting physical games even though it's much easier to go digital since you don't have to swap carts or anything. That being said, I think I'm gonna have to go digital with Smash Bros tonight, I feel like that's that kind of game that will always get play, even if for just 10 minutes.

But man, that file size is killer for someone without an SD card.

XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I'm not an "all digital" guy, I still prefer getting physical games even though it's much easier to go digital since you don't have to swap carts or anything. That being said, I think I'm gonna have to go digital with Smash Bros tonight, I feel like that's that kind of game that will always get play, even if for just 10 minutes.

But man, that file size is killer for someone without an SD card.
    You make a good point. Smash Bros Ultimate is an evergreen title for my Switch library if I've ever seen one.

Probably going to end up getting a refund from Gamestop and just start downloading off the eshop later tonight.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    If you buy from the Australian eShop you can play it right now

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I went with physical because the steelbook looks crazy snazzy.

I just hope that Best Buy gets it here by tomorrow like they are supposed to.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Has anybody used any of the 8bitdo controllers with their Switch? I have their wireless adapter that lets me connect my Wii U Pro Controller to the Switch, and that works like a champ.

I'm looking to get another controller for Smash, for the times when two separate Joy Cons and my Wii U Pro aren't enough, but I'm trying to decide between an 8Bitdo controller, the new 8Bitdo adapter that I can plug my old Wii Classic Controller into, or a Switch Pro Controller. Articles about the Switch Pro Controller are all over the place, from "Best. Controller. Ever!" and "Worse than garbage", so I'm torn on that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    Has anybody used any of the 8bitdo controllers with their Switch? I have their wireless adapter that lets me connect my Wii U Pro Controller to the Switch, and that works like a champ.

I'm looking to get another controller for Smash, for the times when two separate Joy Cons and my Wii U Pro aren't enough, but I'm trying to decide between an 8Bitdo controller, the new 8Bitdo adapter that I can plug my old Wii Classic Controller into, or a Switch Pro Controller. Articles about the Switch Pro Controller are all over the place, from "Best. Controller. Ever!" and "Worse than garbage", so I'm torn on that.

As an owner of multiple 8-bitdo adapters, an 8bitdo NES30, and a Pro Controller, for what you're talking about, I'd go with a Pro Controller. It's saltier but they're fantastic controllers, and most 8bitdo controllers are going to be awkward for Smashing, imo.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    And we have one of those mythical Nintendo Sale.

https://nintendo.com/tga

Notably Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Super Mario Odyssey are both $42. Which strikes me as an odd number for a discount. But whatever. Doom and Wolfenstein II are 1/2 price. And the Starlink digital edition is $45. Which IMHO is the edition to get, giving you almost all the pilots, ships and weapons compared to a physical edition. Even though the physical editions are practically on clearance.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    $42 is 20% off.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    $42 is 20% off.

Sometimes 30%

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
      Is that the only holiday deal that Nintendo is giving out for Switch consoles? $25 GameStop gift card with a purchase of a new console? Seems kinda lame. Expected more holiday bundles, there's usually the same deals as Black Friday or close to it.

• Options
      Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
      $42 for Mario Odyssey? Nintendo trying to blow me out of my shoes with steep discounts of that magnitude!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    • Options
      Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    • Options
      KupiKupi Registered User regular
      So this trailer just got dropped at the Game Awards and I'm getting a sort of weird No More Heroes vibe from it with the music and the motorcycles and the battles between people with rad names in technicolor outfits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HZPzXm1Lx4

Definitely picking this up in "2019".

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    • Options
      urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
      Maz- wrote: »

Holy shit this is an insane exclusive. It'll sure to piss off a bunch of my friends.

• Options
      I've never been happier that I own a Switch than I am right now...

ULTIMATE ALLIANCE 3 AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    • Options
      vamenvamen Registered User regular
      I'm excited for this, though I hope it's not the big Avengers game that was in the works. I assume not because I think Square is doing that.

• Options
      Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
      Damn.

Thats quite a get for Nintendo.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    • Options
      Is MUA3 still published by Activision?

• Options
      UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
      That's kinda crazy. The last game was in 2009. At the time basically the only Marvel movies out were Iron Man and the Hulk.

Really not bad games either. Kind of spiritual successors to Gauntlet or Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance, more arcadey.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    • Options
      That's kinda crazy. The last game was in 2009. At the time basically the only Marvel movies out were Iron Man and the Hulk.

Really not bad games either. Kind of spiritual successors to Gauntlet or Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance, more arcadey.

The fact that they remembered such an old series is so surprising.

Nintendo Console Codes
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA