As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Manticores and Manicures: a Well Groomed Table Top Thread.

• Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »
    my response to "charismatic players getting bonuses for charisma rolls" will always be "if he gets to use his real life silver tongue to win in the game, i get to beat you up for fights."

fair is fair, and if you're letting steve's lack of social anxiety let me be better, you better believe i am wanting to use my gross ogre like body to win fights.

I sometimes try to push my characters to role play a bit more. For instance in my group I have a player whos someone I've known for years, shes pretty soft spoken unless provoked, but shes playing a tough dwarf rogue. She wanted to intimidate the shop keeper to give them a discount on potions, she rolled very well but I just had to ask "So what do you do or say?" and she couldn't think of anything. After a minute of her trying to think of something I asked if she was OK with my wife tagging in for a second (slightly more experienced player but also very intimidating IRL) she said sure, So my wife reminded her she was currently covered in zombie blood, and had two large daggers at her side, and sometimes you don't need to say anything. She got the idea, and said she just pulled out her daggers, leaned on them, and said a little forcefully "I bet 50 gold would work fine right?". I don't like making people feel uncomfortable, but I also think playing a character thats against your own type can be fun

That gets at the core of it, I think. If you believe characters have it in them to do a thing, that's all you need to let them roll. But at the same time, you need to know how they're doing a thing so you can respond to the roll. Success or failure. If the possibility isn't in doubt, anyone can help them spell out what they're doing.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Doobh wrote: »
    iguanacus wrote: »
    i am currently trying to play a character who is kind of dim witted and not at all snarky. and as a snarky asshole that has been, something. trying not to argue with people when they make suggestions i think are dumb but my character wouldn't have an opinion on has been a bigger deal that expected.

hopefully it is working.

Hey, we got through the gate and all it cost us was a small trip to the swamp to look for small horrible lizards.

surprisingly, the luchador bird slash manager of an orphanage ended up being the hardest amongst us all

murdering druids is bad luck.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Back when I played D&D a fair bit (3e) it was more common to see people trying to reconcile having players who were a bit on the dim side playing geniuses than the same argument on the charisma side. I imagine it was probably more pronounced in advance&d when charisma was a full dump stat and the internet wasn't used for such things as much. Most seemed to start from a point of limiting characters to max out at their player's mental ability, which was always the saddest thing. Sorry Phil, Ragnar the wizard caps out at 9int and 8wis because you scored a 95 on this internet IQ test and you once lost a tooth opening a beer bottle with your mouth. No spells for you.

I do not miss those discussions.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I've actually put a bit of work into selling a convincing 'charismatic' character

should I get more favors from the GM because I can sometimes talk good? nah

this is more a personal pride kinda thing - I like to get into my characters' heads, and this is the sorta thing that can help

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    One thing that happens when I play is that my characters slowly slide into the role of exasperated adult who is trying to shepherd his unruly, idiot children through the adventure, and...sometimes that's appropriate for the character, and sometimes it's me getting annoyed at some other people at the table. I've tried to curb this, because I'm always aware that I'm doing it, and it's not always fun for me, or probably anyone else? I think the most success I had at not playing the annoyed dad was when I got assigned the role of Rogue Trader in a Rogue Trader game, and decided my goal was to see if I could get the rest of the party to mutiny against me. It helps that I told everyone else that that was how I was playing the character, so everyone else got to play along, but it's probably a little ironic that the one time I didn't feel like the group dad was when my character was explicitly in charge of the group

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Being a drow in the Underdark-adjacent, flying 20 feet in the air on a magic carpet, banishing the death slaad that had enslaved this village of I forget the monster type, then yelling at them to stop fighting us sure worked pretty well.

The 28 intimidate also helped, and that setup did a good job of justifying that roll result.

I like that my bard can be a scary-ass lady when she wants to be.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I'm a bit late to the sewer design discussion, but I just added a Sewer Chase scenario online that might be useful to anyone still exploring that concept for their game. It was an early playtest scenario exploring the chase scenario concept, but this version is up-to-date.

The idea behind this one is the players are chasing a quarry through the sewers for some reason and have to try to quickly deal with the obstacles and other hazards slowing them down. You can easily invert this to have the players trying to escape through the sewers instead (which, let's be honest, is probably more likely in most RPGs).

While it's written for Triptycho, I think it would be fairly easy to adapt the concepts and set pieces to most other systems.

You can find it here if you're interested. It's a low-level design, as mid-level and higher PCs wouldn't be expected to struggle with such mundane obstacles in their path. The use of the mundane means there's probably not much there you haven't seen before, but maybe putting it together as a chase in this way gets the gears cranking for your own campaign ideas.

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    My role at the table is always "the person who comes up with too complicated of a plan". In my last game we needed to kidnap a guy and I put forward a plan to steal a tow truck, sabotage his car, intercept his call to the tow truck company and then bring him to a secret location to subdue him.

Krahulik suggested we wait by his car until he goes to it, punch him in the head and bundle him into the trunk. We did that instead.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    My role at the table is always "the person who comes up with too complicated of a plan". In my last game we needed to kidnap a guy and I put forward a plan to steal a tow truck, sabotage his car, intercept his call to the tow truck company and then bring him to a secret location to subdue him.

Krahulik suggested we wait by his car until he goes to it, punch him in the head and bundle him into the trunk. We did that instead.

"Guy who simplifies the plan," is often my job in any RPG situation, though I'm not sure I've ever managed to shortcut one quite that thoroughly.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Complicated plan guy can be a fun guy to play.
    I hope you spent at least a little time grumbling about how you always wanted to drive a tow truck.

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    In my last D&D session the players came up with a plan that was much more complicated than I expected, but with a pretty decent set of skill checks they ended up pulling it off quite well and avoided basically all of the danger that I had planned for the evening. So I guess sometimes the over-complicated plan works out.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    we had a party of 5 magic users, who when presented with the need to break into a manor, just jumped the fence

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Im still waiting to see what complicated bullshit we can do with multiple mage hands

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    My current character's primary personality trait is: I always have a plan for what to do when things go wrong.

My current character's primary flaw is: If there’s a plan, I’ll forget it. If I don’t forget it, I’ll ignore it.

So my character is the guy who constructs a very elaborate plan and then ditches it (and doesn't let the other characters know) for something even crazier.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ElddrikElddrik Registered User regular
    we had a party of 5 magic users, who when presented with the need to break into a manor, just jumped the fence

This was me in my previous 5E campaign.

DM: You see an intricately carved demon's face in the middle of a door. The door is clearly locked and trapped and inscribed with a half-dozen nefarious riddles, but which one is the true riddle?
    Me: I cast disintegrate on the door.

• Options
    doobh has sold me on the idea of dino druid. it might not be the best idea, but it is the greatest idea.

• Options

Wait why are you counting a Warrior that uses mage hand as a magic user

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    they can use magic, thus

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Im still waiting to see what complicated bullshit we can do with multiple mage hands

the best secret handshakes

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular

My team of special operatives with fake ID's in Infinity had to break into a PMC held mining operation.

Upon discovering that it was really dark and noting that half the party had super jump augmentations and one had super strength they literally jumped the fence and then threw every other party member over with no dice rolls in a dark spot of the mining operation.

• Options

hans is an eldritch knight that totally counts! he has a cantrip and a shield and was taken out shopping for a back to school component pouch by a college student

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    There are so many planning sessions I've had to shut down at the table with the word "gloves."

When a newcomer asks what it's about, I relate an old story from thedailywtf (which is mostly about software engineering fails). The short version of the story is that an engineer worked at a place where many of the other programmers liked to over-design every solution, creating complex barely-functional libraries to solve simple issues. This reached its peak when an internal discussion happened about something very different from software.

An employee posted about how cold his hands were after bicycling to work and wondered if there might be some way to rig up heated handlebars from the mechanical workings of the bicycle. Predictably, a long and complex discussion followed where ideas were put forward and built upon until they created new problems. One rig might successfully transfer heat, but you could end up with too much heat, so you needed a mechanism to offload that properly so the rider doesn't have to stop or burn their hands. Another rig solves that but makes the bicycle bulky and imbalanced, so you need to start shifting weight, lightening or removing other parts, and so forth. You get the idea.

The exasperated engineer reading this mess noted that this was being as pointlessly overdesigned as much of the rest of the group's productions, and the proper solution was for the cyclist to wear a pair of gloves to work. Discussion ended immediately.

So the next time your party wizard comes up with a brilliant plan to cast invisibility and silence, sneak into a room, conjure an oil slick on the ground, shapeshift into a mouse, scurry up a wall, and knock over a lantern positioned near the oil slick in order to start a blaze, give them a pair of gloves and tell them to cast fireball through the doorway.

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I dunno, I'd rather have heated handlebars personally

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Sure, if they're properly designed. Not if they're Rube Goldberg machines.

Many great ideas quickly turn into terrible, awful plans with far more problems than the one ostensibly being solved.

Fleur de Alys on
  • Options

hans is an eldritch knight that totally counts! he has a cantrip and a shield and was taken out shopping for a back to school component pouch by a college student

Im still sad my attempt to make recalling my spear work like thors hammer didnt stick

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options

Im still sad my attempt to make recalling my spear work like thors hammer didnt stick

Yeah but we did complete the Phantom Thieves aesthetic by coming up with codenames to call each other in combat

now we just need lif as our navigator

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    How do folks track their dnd money?
    Are there any useful applications that can add and subtract silver copper and gold pieces, without doing a manual currency conversion each time.
    Really don't want to do even that level of math everytime I need to spend.

Right now I got 1000 gp
    -25 sp
    -6 gp
    -3 sp
    -100 gp (for camels)

and I just want to be lazy and input those values (-3 sp) and not worry about how many sp is in a gp, and cp in a sp.

If it could surface the weight of coinage that would be good too.

Like at a glance I know I have 894 gp - 28 sp, but I'd rather not need to then look up the value of sp and subtract that from gp.
    28 sp = 2.8 gp
    894-2.8 = 891.2 gp
    891 gp + 2 sp
    Any thing to help not bothering with that each time.
    Character sheet math is the most unfun bit ever.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    doobh has sold me on the idea of dino druid. it might not be the best idea, but it is the greatest idea.

the easiest sell ever

also @iguanacus I hope you roll a melee dude because it's gonna be a wizard, bard, and a melee druid

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    I spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about whether or not my character would come up with the solution I just did.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Tracking coin types and weight for money is ludicrous and if anyone ever enforces it I basically refuse to carry money

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Doobh wrote: »

the easiest sell ever

also iguanacus I hope you roll a melee dude because it's gonna be a wizard, bard, and a melee druid

at level 6 i can turn into an allosaurus and eat whatever.

it is my turn to out weird doobh.

• Options
    I would be pretty impressed if you did

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    so far the idea is a dumb trash baby that likes dinosaurs probably too much.

so, me.

but with less depression.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Thought experiment - suppose you have a D&D-like
    game with only arcane casters. Suppose you wanted them to each use a different stat for casting. 'Wizards use Int' is kind of an easy start, but then what? If 'Bards use Cha' then how would you fit both Sorcerers and Warlocks, or do you even try? Is there another type of arcane spellcaster that lends itself better to, say, Dex? Str? Wis?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »
    Thought experiment - suppose you have a D&D-like
    game with only arcane casters. Suppose you wanted them to each use a different stat for casting. 'Wizards use Int' is kind of an easy start, but then what? If 'Bards use Cha' then how would you fit both Sorcerers and Warlocks, or do you even try? Is there another type of arcane spellcaster that lends itself better to, say, Dex? Str? Wis?

in this instance i would put put sorcerers as strength. make them like the mastery of self power types. warlock could run on a lot of things but the idea of a con warlock that kind of pits their own health against magical powers could be done as an idea.

no idea about wisdom or dex.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    dex is stage magicians obviously

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    dex is stage magicians obviously

A Bard could be Dex but Cha is too standard to walk away from I feel

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    strength is gokus

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

You should play Shadowrun sometime. :D

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    STR are Monk Street Fighter types, shooting Shinkuu-Hadokens

This discussion has been closed.