As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Join us in thread and [Steam] group chat!

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Free games? OK fine I'll install your storefront, Epic.

Backlog, ho!

steam_sig.png
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    Have you ever started a game and, via the tutorial, known that there was going to be a point that the game would make you rage-quit? So, I retired Dustforce today.

Also, totally unrelated question, how quick is the Humble Support when it comes to refunds and incorrect billing amounts and the like?
    The first bunch of levels are actually easier than the tutorials, and I swear once you get familiar with the movement system it feels great!

I actually got the first, already unlocked levels done, full circle round, but when I started on the bronze key levels I started having lots of issues, and by the time I got to one in the castle-like area, I knew I had had enough. The traversal reminds me a lot of the original Sonic in that when the traversal worked it was lovely, but it wasn't made for someone as trigger finger as me; I'm the person that lands on a platform and sort of jumps like, three more times and off I go. Precision jumping/platforming has never worked out particularly well for me.
    I'd try and SS a keyless level or two, because getting into the flow of the levels is where everything really comes together. Even if that normally isn't your sort of thing, I think it's worth giving it a shot with Dustforce.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Gee, why would people have a problem with media creating fetishistic imagery of violence committed against women? Could it possibly have to do with how women are treated in the real world? That these sorts of messages that are pervasive within the media that we consume become internalized and both encourage us to behave in shitty ways and also act as cover to excuse the behavior, such as the decades of portraying sexual harassment and assault as how you just get a girl to like you?

If you want woman soldiers in your videogames, you're gonna need to get used to the idea of violence against women showing up in videogames. If you're concerned about real life attitudes about violence potentially being swayed by fetishistic imagery of violence in the media than ask yourself - how many nameless, faceless, expendable male characters have you personally murdered over the course of your videogame career?

But now we're back to the old "violent videogames make people violent" argument, which has been (please forgive me) beaten to death already.
    Oh hey.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/journey/home

Journey on PC. Epic really is making a push to be the new Steam, huh.

This is amazing news. I watched a friend play through a bit of Journey and it looked great, it was one of those games I had stored in the back of my mind to check out if I ever got around to snagging an old PS3.

SmokeStacks on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Gee, why would people have a problem with media creating fetishistic imagery of violence committed against women? Could it possibly have to do with how women are treated in the real world? That these sorts of messages that are pervasive within the media that we consume become internalized and both encourage us to behave in shitty ways and also act as cover to excuse the behavior, such as the decades of portraying sexual harassment and assault as how you just get a girl to like you?

If you want woman soldiers in your videogames, you're gonna need to get used to the idea of violence against women showing up in videogames. If you're concerned about real life attitudes about violence potentially being swayed by fetishistic imagery of violence in the media than ask yourself - how many nameless, faceless, expendable male characters have you personally murdered over the course of your videogame career?

But now we're back to the old "violent videogames make people violent" argument, which has been (please forgive me) beaten to death already.

I don't know if you're being deliberately obtuse or genuinely don't see the problems with what you just said, but your post completely ignores my actual point.

DarkPrimus on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Journey and Hades, eh?

That shot across the bow from Epic to Valve was quicker than I thought.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Journey was so good when I played through it on my PS3. I remember managing to play through the game a second time in one sitting and managing to do it with the same (anonymous) partner, which is probably rare.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I don't know if you're being deliberately obtuse or genuinely don't see the problems with what you just said, but your post completely ignores my actual point.

Your point ignores half of the population of the planet. I'm going to remind you now that this conversation stems from a hypothetical about female soldiers in Call of Duty, a game set in a genre so entrenched in murdering thousands of disposable males that it is jokingly called "shootmans".

As for new Tomb Raider games being more violent than previous ones in the series, part of that is the steady transition inherent in gaming (the longer a venerable videogame franchise exists, the odds of it becoming an action game approach 1 {see also: Rainbow Six, Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, etc}), but if you've played earlier games in the series you may remember Lara Croft getting eaten by dinosaurs/alligators/lions/sharks, perforated by spikes, crushed by boulders, falling into punji pits, or hearing the sickening lethal crunch that comes from breaking her neck after a long fall. Brutal deaths are not a new thing in videogaming, they're just significantly more "cinematic" now.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Well shit. Guess I should play through either Transistor or Pyre.

Also Hells Yes we get Journey on PC

• Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    What is with these giveaways? It says to watch the game awards but I don't see anywhere to do so.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Abzu is quite comparable to Journey but it doesn't have the sudden coop.

Looks like maybe Rebel Galaxy Outlaw (the prequel to Rebel Galaxy) might be Epic games only as well so I may end up installing it as well.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Well shit. Guess I should play through either Transistor or Pyre.

Also Hells Yes we get Journey on PC

Pyre is amazing. Play Pyre.

Stabbity_Style.png
    Gear Girl wrote: »
    What is with these giveaways? It says to watch the game awards but I don't see anywhere to do so.

Time of the Steam client or here but I think you need to log in if watching from your browser.

I am on that page but there is no video player.

While i would like to agree with smokestacks in a long drawn out essay, there's a lot to unpack in how men and women are represented in narratives. Then there's how that narrative is advertised and implemented (lara's story is all her but this blops3 lady was someone i forgot about the several times i read its wiki).

But what I will say is that having a game where female characters choose to risk violence (space marines, explorers, shield maidens choosing a life of adventure, old lara croft) is a different game from one where the risk of violence forced upon them (horror games, new lara Croft, revenge themed games).

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Have you ever started a game and, via the tutorial, known that there was going to be a point that the game would make you rage-quit? So, I retired Dustforce today.

Also, totally unrelated question, how quick is the Humble Support when it comes to refunds and incorrect billing amounts and the like?

Bought Mirror's Edge on console and again on Origin. Couldn't even get through the tutorial on either. Figured it was a sign.

Couldn't get through, why?

NPC runs away from me, jumps over a gap, says "Follow me!"

I run to the same gap, hit the jump button, fall to my death. A dozen times in a row. Same place on both console and PC. At that point, I decided that if the tutorial was pissing me off that much, I shouldn't even try it in the game with guards shooting at me.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

Bought Mirror's Edge on console and again on Origin. Couldn't even get through the tutorial on either. Figured it was a sign.

I run to the same gap, hit the jump button, fall to my death. A dozen times in a row. Same place on both console and PC. At that point, I decided that if the tutorial was pissing me off that much, I shouldn't even try it in the game with guards shooting at me.

Me too! Same exact place, I believe. I never got past the tutorial.

... it didn't stop me from buying Mirror's Edge 2 for $5 once in the hopes I'd do better this time around.

Spoiler: I did not do better.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    I will day there needs to be more hitman clones where i can have either Monqiue or Taylor Swift kick a hapless target over a railing.

Gear Girl wrote: »
    I am on that page but there is no video player.

Nm, it was my broadcast settings. Facepalm.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Apparently Ashen is out now on Epic's store thing. Anyone seen anything about its character creation? I know the people don't have faces and that's fine but I want to know what other options there are.

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    You guys are missing out. Mirror's Edge was like a glimpse of brilliance whose elegant sense of movement is still pretty much unmatched in my opinion, especially in stark contrast to the cumbersome snap-to freerunning of the Creed games. It's a rough gem though, with some confused design goals (that only become more apparent in the sequel), so it can be hard to appreciate especially when running into the frustrating parts. I know one common spot was a weird jump across a gap to grab a pipe, but I don't recall the tutorial one. It took a second playthrough, bought on sale on Steam a year after playing it at release and being disappointed, to really love it.

It's a game about flow and momentum, and I found it helpful to think of Faith's momentum as a meter with better traversal being available at the top (there are different animations for the same obstacles based on your speed) and a sense of Neo-esque bullet immunity for the much maligned bullet sections. More than most games I've played, getting into it felt like falling into a rhythm with a cadence of scuffing sneakers.

I hope you can go back to it sometime in the future and get a different experience! (But avoid the sequel.)

s7Imn5J.png
    I had a miserable time playing Mirror's Edge. I could probably more easily learn parkour in real life than how to play that game.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    But what I will say is that having a game where female characters choose to risk violence (space marines, explorers, shield maidens choosing a life of adventure, old lara croft) is a different game from one where the risk of violence forced upon them (horror games, new lara Croft, revenge themed games).

I would posit that nu-Lara has been very much in the proactive murdering lifestyle since the 2nd game of the reboot.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    1st person platforming will never be my jam.

The ones in AssRev were bearable because they were slow paced.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

Your point ignores half of the population of the planet. I'm going to remind you now that this conversation stems from a hypothetical about female soldiers in Call of Duty, a game set in a genre so entrenched in murdering thousands of disposable males that it is jokingly called "shootmans".

As for new Tomb Raider games being more violent than previous ones in the series, part of that is the steady transition inherent in gaming (the longer a venerable videogame franchise exists, the odds of it becoming an action game approach 1 {see also: Rainbow Six, Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, etc}), but if you've played earlier games in the series you may remember Lara Croft getting eaten by dinosaurs/alligators/lions/sharks, perforated by spikes, crushed by boulders, falling into punji pits, or hearing the sickening lethal crunch that comes from breaking her neck after a long fall. Brutal deaths are not a new thing in videogaming, they're just significantly more "cinematic" now.

This is as tone-deaf as if you'd wandered into a discussion about police brutality against people of color and said "All Lives Matter."

DarkPrimus on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I've said it before, but Mirror's Edge is a fantastic game, right up until you fuck up and completely ruin the game's flow and you just want to die.

edited December 2018

This is a pretty good distinction. Lara Croft is a difficult example though, because the first game in the current series did put her in a situation to have violence forced upon her, but it was that situation that transformed her into the type of person that chooses to risk violence (even if the transition from whimpering mess to balls out murder machine was sort of jarring) as is shown in the sequels. Women are more "vulnerable" than men, which is why horror media makes them the protagonist in situations where violence if forced upon them so often (it's easier for the audience to experience dread for the character this way). Silent Hill's lead for the film was changed to a woman for this very reason. It's a crummy practice, but unfortunately it works.
    This is as tone-deaf as if you'd wandered into a discussion about police brutality against people of color and said "All Lives Matter."

Thanks for the high quality rebuttal.
    Mirror's Edge

What's wrong with the sequel? Is the first game good enough standalone that someone could play it and get an entire story? I have the first one but have never gotten around to playing it, but I don't want to bother if I'm just gonna end up with a cliffhanger that I'll never resolve due to Origin.

SmokeStacks on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I've said it before, but Mirror's Edge is a fantastic game, right up until you fuck up and completely ruin the game's flow and you just want to die.

I thought it was a fantastic first person platformer until it tried to be an FPS.

• AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    HELL YEAH HADES

The onky announded here game that I am truly hyped for. Roguelike + mythology + Supergiant = instant buy from me.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »
    HELL YEAH HADES

The onky announded here game that I am truly hyped for. Roguelike + mythology + Supergiant = instant buy from me.

I need to get back to and finish Pyre, but I've yet to dislike anything from Supergiant, so yeah.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited December 2018

Me too! Same exact place, I believe. I never got past the tutorial.

... it didn't stop me from buying Mirror's Edge 2 for $5 once in the hopes I'd do better this time around.

Spoiler: I did not do better.

I'm not gonna try and hype the game because if you guys don't like it then you don't like it.

Having said that, the nature of the game makes navigation a bit funky. But, basically, with the camera at default, straight ahead level, the bottom of the screen is where your feet are. You actually need to wait longer than you think you need to to make many of the jumps work.

Having said that, I gave up trying to do the time trials because the fun in the game stopped existing the moment I kept reloading a map over and over just to improve my time in milliseconds and still be no close to a gold medal.

I did speedruns through each in-game mission to get those gold medals for the achievements. I just couldn't stand the time trials. Or the awkward, forced gunplay. The rest was fantastic fun and you really felt awesome stringing together various moves to get through smoothly.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    If you have the Epic launcher, you also already have access to the new(er) UT as well, right there, for free (IIRC). Yet we hear precisely fuck-all about that these days.

Build it, and they might not come...

It's dead, Jazz.

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    My computer must be very confused tonight. Origin has been turned on to download stuff overnight and a now there's this Epic Store app here too.
    WTF is going on. I will say I enjoy that Epic takes advantage of the ability to plug into your Steam account and point you at any friends you have there that have done the same.
    Despite it probably being a marketing research goldmine for them about me.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    UPlay also does that.

You know what store doesn't allow you to easily import friends from Steam? Origin.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    My only real issue with Origin is it doesn’t have (or at least I can’t find it) a way to have separate libraries. I have a small SSD I move games I’m actively playing to, but with Origin it only has one install location so all go there or none.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    You guys are missing out. Mirror's Edge was like a glimpse of brilliance whose elegant sense of movement is still pretty much unmatched in my opinion, especially in stark contrast to the cumbersome snap-to freerunning of the Creed games. It's a rough gem though, with some confused design goals (that only become more apparent in the sequel), so it can be hard to appreciate especially when running into the frustrating parts. I know one common spot was a weird jump across a gap to grab a pipe, but I don't recall the tutorial one. It took a second playthrough, bought on sale on Steam a year after playing it at release and being disappointed, to really love it.

It's a game about flow and momentum, and I found it helpful to think of Faith's momentum as a meter with better traversal being available at the top (there are different animations for the same obstacles based on your speed) and a sense of Neo-esque bullet immunity for the much maligned bullet sections. More than most games I've played, getting into it felt like falling into a rhythm with a cadence of scuffing sneakers.

I hope you can go back to it sometime in the future and get a different experience! (But avoid the sequel.)

ME2 was great! The only real problem was how the areas were segmented with 'rivers' of roads (because of console limitations)

steam_sig.png
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    My only real issue with Origin is it doesn’t have (or at least I can’t find it) a way to have separate libraries. I have a small SSD I move games I’m actively playing to, but with Origin it only has one install location so all go there or none.

I haven't tested this recently, but it used to be that if you changed the install location, games you already had in the old location would still work fine. The install folder was literally where it would install games to, not where it would look to populate the games library.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

ME2 was great! The only real problem was how the areas were segmented with 'rivers' of roads (because of console limitations)

My problem was more "this game for some reason does not work on my PC".

I actually made an Origin account especifically to buy ME2, because I adored the first one, and it was basically a slideshow even at minimum on a PC that has been tunning most everything else at medium-high without much in the way of hiccups.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Oh man, that brings back memories... The first time I watched the intro of the original Katamary.
    I was spending Christmas at my cousins' place and it was on Youtube (which was still young at that time). It was a very short intro (about 1 min) and the moment it ended we both looked at each other and shared a "what the fuck did I just I watch" moment. We re watched it 3 or 4 more times and of course my cousin being my cousin, she recorded the intro song and put it on her phone as a ringtone. I think the game was never released here in Europe (its sequel was) but I gifted her Beautiful Katamari for her birthday when she got a XBOX360 some years later.

HiT BiT on
    I have ME2 on Origin. It's a lot better than the first ME, which definitely has terrible shooting. Plus its story is great.

Of course once you get to ME3 the shooting has been perfected and it's the best of the series. ME:A is a slight step down but I still like its shooting more than ME2.